Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: A Family Affair
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2008 at 05:51 AM
A Family Affair

Being that I'm not sure if these rooster fights are legal or not, I won't tell you where this one occurred. What struck me was how much of a family affair the event was. Kids, moms, dads and some serious competitors.

For those of you that have never been, they tie a small sharp steel hook onto one leg of each competitor. Then they introduce the combatents to get them riled. Last is to release the roosters head to head and let them go at it. Some fights lasted only a few seconds, others went until they were too tired to go on. No one mourned the losers; they went into a pile in the shrubs.

2.jpg - 48kB
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2008 at 05:52 AM

3.jpg - 46kB
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2008 at 05:54 AM

Another

4.jpg - 40kB
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2008 at 05:55 AM

Last,

5.jpg - 40kB
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2008 at 07:17 AM

Interesting report, Diver. Kinda made my tummi clench up a bit, but interesting nonetheless. I especially like your first picture - that gentleman looks to be strutting his stuff good as any rooster might hope to.;D:biggrin:

Nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2008 at 07:49 AM
Interesting report

I imagine you'll get some varied opinions on the topic.

Don't know what the legal status is in Mexico but they used to have an arena here in La Paz that we were told was for c-ckfighting.

c-ckfighting_arena_01_Jan_24,2007.jpg - 38kB

I think the world is run by C- students.
jorgie
Nomad

Mood: on the road....again,again

[*] posted on 3-12-2008 at 07:58 AM

the location is easy...........the can of Tecate tells .......
TonyC
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2008 at 08:37 AM

Legal.

http://www.surf-mexico.com/culture/c-ckfights.html
bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 3-12-2008 at 08:47 AM

Disgusting.

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 3-12-2008 at 08:52 AM

Basically not much different from Dogfighting.:no:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2008 at 08:52 AM

A cultural experience none the less.

P<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2008 at 08:54 AM

Until recently, they had them downtown Ensenada during carnival.
Disgusting is the word. From a moral point of view, what's the difference between a chicken and a dog?
bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 3-12-2008 at 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
A cultural experience none the less.

P<*)))><

Guess I'm missing the point. How is this a "cultural experience" (honest question)?
:?:

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 3-12-2008 at 09:03 AM

It is fascinating how this activity is so popular with the families particularly the kids who now have their own roosters...it does teach them how to raise and care for animals as they feed them, clean the cages etc. and also they learn sportsmanship...I know it sounds weird and personally I think it's gross, but who am I to judge them....it is a fun weekend event that they love....people always ask what do people do here...there is always something going on...church events, family gatherings, c-ck fights, horse races, car rallies, lots of sporting events too.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2008 at 09:25 AM

First of all let me state that I am not condoning the sport. It is animal cruelty.

To answer your question;

c-ckfighting is a tradition, a part of the Mexican culture. In Mexico c-ckfighting is as popular as baseball and football is in the U.S.

Is it a cultural experience? I believe that Diver got a glimpse of local tradition, customs and rituals by attending. That to me would qualify as a cultural experience.

P<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2008 at 09:36 AM

I felt the same of the "cultural tradition".
I had never been before and just wanted to see it for myself.
Similar to BBQ parties and softball games in the US, this sport is a mexican tradition. Signs are posted and a faction of the whole town gets excited.

There is no violence or evil intended by any of these kind folks. Just a gathering of friends and family for sport and entertainment.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 3-12-2008 at 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Basically not much different from Dogfighting.:no:

I disagree...as a 10 year old I was wringing 50 to 100 chicken necks a day so people like you could eat them...Don't recall butchering many dogs for you.
People are strange...OK to wring their necks, but kill them any other way and you are a deprived monster:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
beachbum1A
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2008 at 10:06 AM

Last year on one of my fishing trips to Mulege we stopped in one evening to see a cousin of my fishing buddy who lives there. Interestingly enough, his hobby is raising roosters and engaging them in c-ck fights about once a month. We were outside walking around, looking at the cages and birds and I asked several questions through my friend (as I can't speak Spanish-yet).
Anyway, this man thought I was REALLY interested in c-ck fighting and later on while inside their home he went outside and returned with one of his roosters, with the intention of giving it to me as a gift to take bace to Ensenada with me.

It was a cultural experience for me, as it made me aware of how a "normal, middle class" Mexican family came together in a family unit to participate in these events about once a month.
Also surprised me that he would part with one of his roosters as a gesture of friendship with this gringo that he has only met a few times before.
I did come away with a local calendar with a picture of "El Giro", (his champion rooster) on it.

Sometimes you just have to keep a open mind to let it all soak in- you know?

Just do it!
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2008 at 10:14 AM

Has anyone else noticed the large estate home on the east side of the toll road, I believe north of La Joya? (Before you get to the La Costa restaurant.)

Large lawn with a couple of dozen little Tee Pee structures for their fighting c-cks. First time I realized what it was it came as quite a surprize. :O:O:O

Ken

[Edited on 3-12-2008 by tripledigitken]
osoflojo
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2008 at 10:56 AM

Like the idea or not, "The Palenque" is and used to be a major event in some areas. Years ago in Cabo there would be a carnival(complete with rides and games), a bazaar for shopping and the palenque featured big time entertainment such as Alejandro Fernandez and Lola Beltran. It was an event for the whole family and was not to be missed.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.