BajaNomad

Abalone season opens in Asuncion

shari - 4-5-2008 at 07:51 AM

I wasn't sure to put this under fishing, camping or food thread although like baja..it's all about the food! Abalone season opened for the commercial fishermen here so we bundled up the animals and moved the show out to San Roque for the week. There are 16 boats diving for yellow abalone..the highest quality here...they leave the puertito around 6:00 and are back by 10:00 with somewhere between 100-150 abalone per boat which is the daily quota. There has been a big swell this week which makes it more difficult for the divers.While Juan is out there in the wind and waves, I am running on the beach...collecting caracoles for lunch...picking flowers in the arroyo, reading and playing the violin...tough life I know. Yesterday a camper came in and parked across from our cabin...it was the windiest time of the day and the couple got out...snapped a couple of pictures and LEFT!!!! whew... this photo is of the pangas as they race back to the barn and unload their abs onto the big truck in the cove.

abalonepangas.jpg - 44kB

BirdDog - 4-5-2008 at 07:55 AM

Beautiful. Can't wait to be there when we can share some of the view, beer and abalone. Seems just like yesterday that we had the same view of the lobster guys.

shari - 4-5-2008 at 07:57 AM

This picture is the big payoff! Each fisherman gets 4 abalone a week to eat. So we cracked a bottle of wine to celebrate the first abalone of the season and shared this plate of gold with our housesitter/amigo Kevin....(would you house sit for abalone?) A regal feast to be sure...totally stuffed ourselves till we couldn't eat another bite...all you can eat abalone??? Wonder what the rich folks are having for dinner?

abdinner.jpg - 48kB

BirdDog - 4-5-2008 at 07:58 AM

I am now the offical housesitter in Asuncion.:yes:

Ken Bondy - 4-5-2008 at 08:08 AM

shari it is so good to hear that there are still abundant abalone in your area. They have for all practical purposes disappeared in the Channel Islands. I used to see them on every dive, all flavors, pinks, whites, reds, and thousands of blacks. No more. Thanks for this post. Jeez that plate full of them looks good. Do you go through the pounding ritual?
++Ken++

shari - 4-5-2008 at 08:15 AM

Oh yes Ken, pounding is the key to melt in your mouth abs...Juan is a master at this...we used to have blacks here too but they all got wiped out in the El Niño in the late 80's. The reason we still have abs here is the fantasic job the coops do at protecting their resource with small quotas and 24/7 patrols by sea and land to deter poaching. Juan says the population looks very healthy, they are fat and numerous and the kelp beds are huge this year too.

Pescador - 4-5-2008 at 08:28 AM

It is too bad that the coop idea has not spread into the other areas of Baja. I see a significant difference between the sea life in the areas like Abreojos, La Bocana, and Asuncion as compared with all the other areas on the Sea of Cortez side of Baja. I am sure there must be negative sides to the issue, but from a true conservation standpoint it sure looks like they are doing a great job over there.

DianaT - 4-5-2008 at 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
It is too bad that the coop idea has not spread into the other areas of Baja. I see a significant difference between the sea life in the areas like Abreojos, La Bocana, and Asuncion as compared with all the other areas on the Sea of Cortez side of Baja. I am sure there must be negative sides to the issue, but from a true conservation standpoint it sure looks like they are doing a great job over there.

We have been very impressed with how the coops in Bahia Asuncion run business and how future oriented they are. Every lobster measured, abalone counted, etc. They seem to be quite strict and the patrols are back and forth 24/7. Our favorite patrol is the little white fluffy dog who rides in the lap of one of the guys. Got to get his picture one of these days.

Shari,
Love the picture of the boats headed in---I just always love watching that, and well, San Roque is so great.

I laughed about the campers taking a couple of pix and leaving. Many are quite surprised by that afternoon wind.

Are you going back out to San Roque or is Juan going to work from BA?

shari - 4-5-2008 at 08:38 AM

One of the only negative sides is that very few locals get to enjoy the local seafood like lobster and abalone. Before, the townfolk were given the lobsters that couldn't be sold commercially...the ones with some legs eaten off...but then some fishermen spoiled that by ripping the legs off of lobsters so they could bring them home...then sell them on the black market. rats...so now that giving of lobsters has been stopped so we rarely get lobster anymore. So the vigilancia are very very strict now...but it's probably better anyway...less colesteral! The only way to curb black market selling is to be extremely strict...the vigilancia check the fishermen's lunch boxes, boots etc...to make sure that they aren't hiding any contraband abalone. I am proud of our vigilancia here and it makes our whole area safer too with round the clock patrols of the area...but it is very expensive and does cut down on the profits earned by the fishermen...but without it there would be no profits!

Stickers - 4-5-2008 at 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
This picture is the big payoff! Each fisherman gets 4 abalone a week to eat. So we cracked a bottle of wine to celebrate the first abalone of the season and shared this plate of gold with our housesitter/amigo Kevin....(would you house sit for abalone?) A regal feast to be sure...totally stuffed ourselves till we couldn't eat another bite...all you can eat abalone??? Wonder what the rich folks are having for dinner?

Shari, that plate of abalone would be worth about $5000(US) up here in norte cal. cant imagine how much it's worth in Japan. Makes my mouth water.

Diver - 4-5-2008 at 09:25 AM

I can personally attest to Juan's proficiency in preparing the Abs.
I never had anything like it ! Really good !!

shari - 4-5-2008 at 09:54 AM

I think I have an abalone hangover this morning, I gorfed down WAY to many of those gold medallions last night! Depending on the weather, Juan will fish out of San Roque another couple of weeks then finish up the season with Isla Asuncion...anyone want to housesit?

Bajagypsy - 4-5-2008 at 10:47 AM

Pick me Pick me!!!

Sounds like you had a very relaxing time in San Roque, I'm glad!

Wiles - 4-5-2008 at 10:54 AM

Shari,

Thanks for sharing. Gee, maybe you should change your member name to "Sharing". :yes::yes:

I enjoy the 'insiders perspective' you bring to the table so to speak.

I have a couple of questions.

1) What is the minimum harvesting size for abs?

2) How many species are they harvesting?

3) Yellow abs are the same genus sp. as pink abs (Haliotis corrugata) ?

4) How many members in the coop?

5) Does Juan dive or tend? Or both?

Would love to see some close-up pics of the abs still in the shell.

Thanks
Wiles

Wiles - 4-5-2008 at 11:08 AM

Ken,

What about greens, don't leave them out.

Yeah, I remember those days. I could limit out on greens at Santa Barbra Island in a 5 minute dive start to finish. And the San Nick reds seemed big as hubcaps.

When I would come up on a good pocket of abs I would pop them off and lay them shell down, foot up while I popped the rest. Often would result in a tug o war with a big morray. They seemed to like them as much as I did.

Debra - 4-5-2008 at 11:18 AM

Shari, how long does the season last? You made my mouth water! I might just have to drive down from Bahia for a bite! YUM YUM!:yes:

Ken Bondy - 4-5-2008 at 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wiles
Ken,

What about greens, don't leave them out.

Yeah, I remember those days. I could limit out on greens at Santa Barbra Island in a 5 minute dive start to finish. And the San Nick reds seemed big as hubcaps.

When I would come up on a good pocket of abs I would pop them off and lay them shell down, foot up while I popped the rest. Often would result in a tug o war with a big morray. They seemed to like them as much as I did.

Absolutely right Wiles, forgot about the big greens! Thanks, ++Ken++

Sharksbaja - 4-5-2008 at 02:14 PM

I commend your community Shari. These are good stewards, they protect and manage their livelyhood. Kudos!

It is so sad that the ideals and mindset vary in importance so widely. It is so out of kilter imo. On one side of Baja you have a concerted effort by Mexican locals maintaining a viable fishery.
On the other side(literally) you have a bunch of independants or loosely organised fishermen who cannot or will not or do not practice the law of protecting their interests.
Rather I feel it's more like, get it while you can, before the "big guys" do.

Lessons can be learned from others, and I don't mean Gringos.

----

Ah, the good ol days! Yep, CA was premier ab country in the 60s-70s. Then all hell broke loose Sta Barbara on south.

The fishery collapsed incredibly fast. Within ten yrs, most of the shallower water species were gone along the southern coastline. Blacks, greens were just gone. Pinks were only being found deep.
The Channel Islands slowly lost large populations and the trend still continues.
While working on Catalina Is at a marine science center I was privy to some data and info regarding the large declines in lobster and abalone.
Numerous studies were undertaken to resolve the crisis and recreational as well as commercial interests were heavily scrutinized tho not necessarily blamed for the declines.
While both these animals are highly desireable they also have complex life cycles Juvenile mortality is extremely high in their natural environments.
To this add pollution, increased populations of humans and global water temp changes and you have a potential recipe for disaster.
Like the Salmon crisis here(they say next year will be good??), many factors determine the fate of important animals. The effort to understand why, how and WTF is happening is big but sorry, we need an explanation now.
Fortunately lobster are a bit more adaptable and haven't disappeared. Last I heard, abs are still disappearing. Shoot!
Sadly, the jury is still out.

shari - 4-5-2008 at 02:26 PM

Juan is back from harvesting rock to build our addition here and he says that what we call yellow abs are probably the pinks which is the top quality for canning...they only harvest yellow and blue here and the minimum size for yellows are 13.5 cm and 14.5 cm for blues. There are 110 members in his coop and there are 2 coops in our village. Juan is both a diver and tender depending on what boat he works on. Sharkie is right about the get while the gettin's good on the gulf...here I'm sure they would do the same if it werent' controlled by the coops. The other coop has just begun an abalone hatchery here so that in case of a collapse of the abalone species due to red tide, we will still have something to fall back on and can re-seed the area...sounds like a good plan.

Sharksbaja - 4-5-2008 at 02:53 PM

Brilliant!

capt. mike - 4-5-2008 at 03:06 PM

HOW MUCH PER KILO? comm'l or retail?
just curious. i don't see it on the shelves here.

Bajagypsy - 4-5-2008 at 03:08 PM

God Shari, I love our town more and more everyday!!!

Iflyfish - 4-5-2008 at 03:21 PM

I have never eaten Ablalone. I don't see it on menues here, though I just might not go to the right places. I believe I have seen it in Asian markets here canned. Is canned Abalone any good? How does one cook it? Your abalone looks wonderful Shari and know you are a wonderful cook.

Iflyfish

Ken Bondy - 4-5-2008 at 03:50 PM

Iflyfish - abalone is, IMHO, the best of all seafoods. You rarely see it in the US anymore because there are very few left in US waters. The meat is the foot of the snail, you remove it, pound it until it is thin, bread it, and then fry it very briefly on each side. I'm sure shari can give you a more detailed spec. The problem is finding them.
++Ken++

Amen, Ken Bondy

Gypsy Jan - 4-5-2008 at 04:03 PM

I used to spend my childhood summers on Catalina Island while you could still harvest abalone wearing only a snorkel and fins (and, obvs, carrying a diving knife).

I have very vivid memories of pounding out the steaks (while trying to avoid pounding any of the hovering wasps into the meat).

[Edited on 4-5-2008 by Gypsy Jan]

[Edited on 4-5-2008 by Gypsy Jan]

shari - 4-5-2008 at 04:15 PM

They steam and can the abalone here at the plant and canned or jarred abalone is very delicious...nice and tender and can be eaten as it, or made into a c-cktail or sliced and fried in butter and garlic or breaded...It's also fantastc as ceviche too. We are blessed to still be able to eat it here.

DianaT - 4-5-2008 at 05:14 PM

Abalone from Bahia Asuncion marketed by Ocean Garden Products.

As we learned from Shari and Juan, the fishermen in both coops can participate in lobster OR abalone season, not both as they are the most profitable products.

In conversation with a fisherman we met at the local llantara, he told us that at the coop in Tortugas and further north, the fishermen could fish for lobster AND abalone. I keep wanting to ask Juan about this, but keep forgeting---just curious----so I will ask right now????

Gadget - 4-5-2008 at 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
I commend your community Shari. These are good stewards, they protect and manage their livelyhood. Kudos!

It is so sad that the ideals and mindset vary in importance so widely. It is so out of kilter imo. On one side of Baja you have a concerted effort by Mexican locals maintaining a viable fishery.
On the other side(literally) you have a bunch of independants or loosely organised fishermen who cannot or will not or do not practice the law of protecting their interests.

Sharks, you are sure right on there.

While down to BoLA over last November I would swim each morning.

I encountered 2 snorkelers one morning with small diameter rods, a squirt bottle and a mesh bag. They work along in 6 to 10 feet of water, squirting BLEACH into the rocks and crevices, pock around with the rods and collect the tiny Octopus that get stunned by the bleach. The bags had 2 to 3 inch diameter catch in them at the biggest.

I tried to get the one guys attention but he would keep his distance and always turn away from me. It was so upsetting, but I am just a gringo, what can I do?

Abram says that of late sales of gallons of bleach in town have gone up 10 - 20 times. He believes the added pollution is killing of plankton and as a result the Whale Sharks are not coming into the inner bay.

This is just such a harmful practice, but I guess you have to think about how desperate you may get when hungry.

Sorry, poorly worded rant, had to clean it up a little. G

[Edited on 4-6-2008 by Gadget]

shari - 4-5-2008 at 05:34 PM

Juan says that in Tortugas the fishermen CAN work at both lobster and abalone....lucky guys! Now I know why they have all those nice pick ups..A can of that abalone goes for about $35 and depending on size can have 1-3 abalone in it. I've seen them in the stores in Vizcaino and the fish market here has them I think. Juan says that black market abs go for about a hundred bucks a kilo. Here the coops only sell the seconds...the lips or edges they cut off...and we grind it up and make delicious sausage or burgers out of it. During the season you can find abalone tamales and empanadas here sometimes or order them. Juan's sister makes great stuff if anybody wants to order some!

DianaT - 4-5-2008 at 05:43 PM

Quote:
Juan's sister makes great stuff if anybody wants to order some!

I assume you are talking about Lupita. Lupita needs a flyer---menu with prices (tips extra, of course) and as more and more people buy property, she will need a flyer for her property care services---and all the other things she does. :yes::yes:

Thanks for answering----

Stickers - 4-5-2008 at 05:51 PM

Quote:
and we grind it up and make delicious sausage or burgers out of it. During the season you can find abalone tamales and empanadas here sometimes or order them. Juan's sister makes great stuff if anybody wants to order some!

You are killing me Shari.

The last time I saw abalone on a menu was about 15 years ago on the pier at Monterrey (Ca) fisherman's wharf. It was New Years Eve and priced at $50.00 for a piece about 1/8" thick and about 3" diameter. I ordered it since I had never seen abalone on a menu before. When it arrived at the table I had to laugh but once I started eating I could not believe how delicious it was.

DianaT - 4-5-2008 at 06:19 PM

John grew up in the 50s eating lots of abalone---parents got it free from a good friend who was the Park Ranger at Leo Carillo State Beach---the abalone confiscated from the poachers. :lol:

So the idea of $35.00 a can just makes him shake his head.

Wonder what the vigilencia do with confiscated abalone? Sure can't imagine it would be wasted.

shari - 4-5-2008 at 06:21 PM

geez..you were right about that huge plate we ate last night, I figure there were about 30 of those pieces on it...no wonder I feel so stuffed and satisfied! Actually Juan's other sister...he has a bunch of em...Blanca makes fabulous abalone tamales, empanadas and chorizo. It's a family act here for sure...even Juan's brother's dog Tuto lends himself to renters!

DianaT - 4-5-2008 at 06:31 PM

Quote:
geez..you were right about that huge plate we ate last night, I figure there were about 30 of those pieces on it...no wonder I feel so stuffed and satisfied! Actually Juan's other sister...he has a bunch of em...Blanca makes fabulous abalone tamales, empanadas and chorizo. It's a family act here for sure...even Juan's brother's dog Tuto lends himself to renters!

OK, they need to start the family food service business---delivered with a smile. Could be the first food delivery business in Bahia Asuncion. :yes::yes:

Tuto? Yes he comes to visit often and even crabby little Maggie has made friends with him and she does not like many dogs.

Roberto - 4-5-2008 at 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gadget
This is just such a stupid practice, but I guess you have to think about how desperate you may get when hungry.

That's true. However, I think we would both be surprised to find out how much of the money made that way does NOT go for food.

That town, as much as I love it, is going to destroy every living thing in that bay unless something changes.

[Edited on 4-6-2008 by Roberto]

Wiles - 4-5-2008 at 08:36 PM

Thanks Shari,

The yellows are pinks, and the blues must be greens. Glad we straightened that out.:biggrin::biggrin:

In 1987 husked and trimmed abalone sold for $50.00/lb at San Pedro Fish Market. And they had no problem selling every scrap.

BajaWarrior - 4-6-2008 at 07:23 AM

Does anyone know the price of a can of Abalone? How about the availability? Does it come to the U.S. for sale? Asian markets, Mexican markets?

I want some!!

shari - 4-6-2008 at 08:24 AM

I can pick you up some here...around $35 a can...good excuse to come for another visit!

BajaWarrior - 4-6-2008 at 09:05 AM

We just went over the calender for the summer and it looks like we'll be doing a driving trip to Monterray/Napa June/July and then flying to Oahu in August.

Bahia Asuncion is a little out of our reach this summer since we'll be also sneaking some Pacific side San Quintin and Erindira trips in. Future trips back to Bahia will be scheduled however. Maybe a Nomad run, invade your town. Perhaps even a land race from the border, winner gets a can of Abalone!

I've seen that canned brand CALMEX somewhere up here, I'll have to check the markets. If anyone is heading to Bahia Asuncion we'd love a few cans to be brought back up to San Diego or vininity?!

Bajagypsy - 4-6-2008 at 09:41 AM

Quote:

I love Tuto, he is the best dog, he adopted us when we were down in December, I don't think it had anything to do with the fact that Mr. Gypsy was feeding him.....;D

CA Farmed Abs

Sharksbaja - 4-6-2008 at 01:42 PM

Abalone Steaks

http://www.abalonefarm.com/live_abalone.php
California Red Abalone has a mild flavor with just a hint of sweetness. Many Chefs compare it to scallop or lobster with the texture of veal; tender, rich and redolent of the sea. Ocean Rose® abalone steaks are 100% natural with no additives or preservatives. Serve as an hors'doeuvre, appetizer, or entrée.
Our Ocean Rose® live abalone are carefully selected, removed from the shell, cleaned and tenderized to produce a soft, velvety product.

8 or 16 Tenderized Steaks ( ½ or 1 full POUND of Fresh Abalone)
Custom Styro-Cooler w/ Hinged Lid
Gold Foil Packaging
Special Literature on Species, and Cooking Information
2 or 4 Exquisite Specimen Polished original Abalone Shells
Package Prices are:
$100 for 16 individual Steaks -OR- $50 for 8 individual steaks.

We now offer LIVE Abalone at a cost of $29.99 per pound. 2.5# min. Order. Approx. 4 pc. per pound. Product is shipped Live to your door.

shari - 4-6-2008 at 02:03 PM

Wow, that sounds like a great business...something Sirenita may be interested in....she studies aquaculture. Interesting product and presentation right down to home delivery! But hey must be pretty small as Juan says here there are 3 yellow abalones in a kilo! and one blue abalone that is 21-22 cm weighs a KILO! they won't fit in the cans! Big suckers eh! I'm munching on an abalone burger I just made out of the mantles...scrumptious

Sharksbaja - 4-6-2008 at 02:39 PM

Yes Shari they are tiny. 3" babies. I find that very odd but they have much better success this way I am told.
I am curious about your own aquaculturing techniques. The early farm had huge problems and hurtles to overcome but it now seems they do not experience catastrophic die-offs like they used to have.
I love abalone and did not realize how lucky I was to be able to enjoy so many before they went down the tubes in CA.
I have a couple of "platter" shells. That's what we'd call the giant reds and pinks. These were taken at sixty feet. Beyond most recreational divers. Man do I miss that flavor. You are very fortunate indeed.
As a kid, a neighbor of ours was one of the first to cast polished abalone shell pieces into tabletops. Beautiful thangs!

Here is one I have at out restaurant. Note the 2oz jigger:

abplatter.jpg - 37kB

Iflyfish - 4-6-2008 at 04:34 PM

Thank you Sharks!!! Yu da man! You are looking at my next birthday dinner! Yum.

Great post Shari, salud!

Iflyfish

Alan - 4-6-2008 at 05:28 PM

Great picture Sharks! The way the light hits it almost reminds one of a marlin that has been pulled up on a boat. Just so that I understand. Even though the abalone population has been wiped out in California, your taking this was justified because it tastes great?

I apologize upfront but I just couldn't resist after reading your comment about how lucky you were to get yours before they were all gone after dragging some poor guy through the mud over one marlin. :lol:

[Edited on 4-7-2008 by Alan]

gibson - 4-6-2008 at 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
Great picture Sharks! The way the light hits it almost reminds one of a marlin that has been pulled up on a boat.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sharksbaja - 4-6-2008 at 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
Great picture Sharks! The way the light hits it almost reminds one of a marlin that has been pulled up on a boat. Just so that I understand. Even though the abalone population has been wiped out in California, your taking this was justified because it tastes great?

I apologize upfront but I just couldn't resist after reading your comment about how lucky you were to get yours before they were all gone after dragging some poor guy through the mud over one marlin. :lol:

But you missed the part where I opted out of killing any more sharks. I got EDUCATED. Then I did not have a good reason to take them. Just like I haven't served mercury laden salmon for two years.:P
At least I learned something and adjusted my thinking. I see that is impossible for some people to ever change.

jeans - 4-6-2008 at 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
I used to spend my childhood summers on Catalina Island while you could still harvest abalone wearing only a snorkel and fins (and, obvs, carrying a diving knife).

I have very vivid memories of pounding out the steaks

Me too! I was too young to dive...But mom would and it was my job to pound them with the mallet. We'd have cookouts on the hill above the Isthmus.

Alan - 4-7-2008 at 06:59 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I see that is impossible for some people to ever change.

Actually, I fully support catch and release. I now only keep enough fillets for what my family can eat within one or two days.

Many, many years ago the power went out in our neighborhood due to a storm and I was personally appalled at the amount of fish I had to discard from my freezer and made a personal vow, never again.

I firmly believe that fish stocks are being decimated everywhere. Locally I fish out of Dana Pt. and as little as ten years ago I can remember 50 bass days (all released) even in the dead of winter, now one really has to scratch for them. At their charter office they boast of being the Calico and Sand Bass capitol with annual takes of 35,000+ bass. What fishery can sustain those numbers for long?

Sitting at Palmas de Cortez last summer I counted over 50 billfish flags (with release flags) just with their fleet. Assuming all resorts in the area had a similar day that would be well over 200 billfish that day alone. Without an active release program this fishery would soon go the way of the totuava. While the sportsman take is only a fraction of the commercial slaughter I believe we all have to do our part.

And yes I too took abalone at Santa Cruz Island in the 70's. Cooked up right there on the back of the boat while sitting on the hook was truly a slice of heaven.

ILikeMex - 4-7-2008 at 09:26 AM

There are still some big Abs in N CA 10.5 inches

ILikeMex - 4-7-2008 at 09:31 AM

My Pop. All Abs must be taken free diving during open season in N CA.