Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Abalone season opens in Asuncion
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 4-5-2008 at 07:51 AM
Abalone season opens in Asuncion

I wasn't sure to put this under fishing, camping or food thread although like baja..it's all about the food! Abalone season opened for the commercial fishermen here so we bundled up the animals and moved the show out to San Roque for the week. There are 16 boats diving for yellow abalone..the highest quality here...they leave the puertito around 6:00 and are back by 10:00 with somewhere between 100-150 abalone per boat which is the daily quota. There has been a big swell this week which makes it more difficult for the divers.While Juan is out there in the wind and waves, I am running on the beach...collecting caracoles for lunch...picking flowers in the arroyo, reading and playing the violin...tough life I know. Yesterday a camper came in and parked across from our cabin...it was the windiest time of the day and the couple got out...snapped a couple of pictures and LEFT!!!! whew... this photo is of the pangas as they race back to the barn and unload their abs onto the big truck in the cove.

abalonepangas.jpg - 44kB

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
BirdDog
Nomad

Mood: Desperate to move to Baja

[*] posted on 4-5-2008 at 07:55 AM

Beautiful. Can't wait to be there when we can share some of the view, beer and abalone. Seems just like yesterday that we had the same view of the lobster guys.
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2008 at 07:57 AM

This picture is the big payoff! Each fisherman gets 4 abalone a week to eat. So we cracked a bottle of wine to celebrate the first abalone of the season and shared this plate of gold with our housesitter/amigo Kevin....(would you house sit for abalone?) A regal feast to be sure...totally stuffed ourselves till we couldn't eat another bite...all you can eat abalone??? Wonder what the rich folks are having for dinner?

abdinner.jpg - 48kB

BirdDog
Nomad

Mood: Desperate to move to Baja

[*] posted on 4-5-2008 at 07:58 AM

I am now the offical housesitter in Asuncion.:yes:
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 4-5-2008 at 08:08 AM

shari it is so good to hear that there are still abundant abalone in your area. They have for all practical purposes disappeared in the Channel Islands. I used to see them on every dive, all flavors, pinks, whites, reds, and thousands of blacks. No more. Thanks for this post. Jeez that plate full of them looks good. Do you go through the pounding ritual?
++Ken++
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2008 at 08:15 AM

Oh yes Ken, pounding is the key to melt in your mouth abs...Juan is a master at this...we used to have blacks here too but they all got wiped out in the El Niño in the late 80's. The reason we still have abs here is the fantasic job the coops do at protecting their resource with small quotas and 24/7 patrols by sea and land to deter poaching. Juan says the population looks very healthy, they are fat and numerous and the kelp beds are huge this year too.

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2008 at 08:28 AM

It is too bad that the coop idea has not spread into the other areas of Baja. I see a significant difference between the sea life in the areas like Abreojos, La Bocana, and Asuncion as compared with all the other areas on the Sea of Cortez side of Baja. I am sure there must be negative sides to the issue, but from a true conservation standpoint it sure looks like they are doing a great job over there.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2008 at 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
It is too bad that the coop idea has not spread into the other areas of Baja. I see a significant difference between the sea life in the areas like Abreojos, La Bocana, and Asuncion as compared with all the other areas on the Sea of Cortez side of Baja. I am sure there must be negative sides to the issue, but from a true conservation standpoint it sure looks like they are doing a great job over there.

We have been very impressed with how the coops in Bahia Asuncion run business and how future oriented they are. Every lobster measured, abalone counted, etc. They seem to be quite strict and the patrols are back and forth 24/7. Our favorite patrol is the little white fluffy dog who rides in the lap of one of the guys. Got to get his picture one of these days.

Shari,
Love the picture of the boats headed in---I just always love watching that, and well, San Roque is so great.

I laughed about the campers taking a couple of pix and leaving. Many are quite surprised by that afternoon wind.

Are you going back out to San Roque or is Juan going to work from BA?

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2008 at 08:38 AM

One of the only negative sides is that very few locals get to enjoy the local seafood like lobster and abalone. Before, the townfolk were given the lobsters that couldn't be sold commercially...the ones with some legs eaten off...but then some fishermen spoiled that by ripping the legs off of lobsters so they could bring them home...then sell them on the black market. rats...so now that giving of lobsters has been stopped so we rarely get lobster anymore. So the vigilancia are very very strict now...but it's probably better anyway...less colesteral! The only way to curb black market selling is to be extremely strict...the vigilancia check the fishermen's lunch boxes, boots etc...to make sure that they aren't hiding any contraband abalone. I am proud of our vigilancia here and it makes our whole area safer too with round the clock patrols of the area...but it is very expensive and does cut down on the profits earned by the fishermen...but without it there would be no profits!

Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2008 at 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
This picture is the big payoff! Each fisherman gets 4 abalone a week to eat. So we cracked a bottle of wine to celebrate the first abalone of the season and shared this plate of gold with our housesitter/amigo Kevin....(would you house sit for abalone?) A regal feast to be sure...totally stuffed ourselves till we couldn't eat another bite...all you can eat abalone??? Wonder what the rich folks are having for dinner?

Shari, that plate of abalone would be worth about $5000(US) up here in norte cal. cant imagine how much it's worth in Japan. Makes my mouth water.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2008 at 09:25 AM

I can personally attest to Juan's proficiency in preparing the Abs.
I never had anything like it ! Really good !!
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2008 at 09:54 AM

I think I have an abalone hangover this morning, I gorfed down WAY to many of those gold medallions last night! Depending on the weather, Juan will fish out of San Roque another couple of weeks then finish up the season with Isla Asuncion...anyone want to housesit?

Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 4-5-2008 at 10:47 AM

Pick me Pick me!!!

Sounds like you had a very relaxing time in San Roque, I'm glad!

Wiles
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2008 at 10:54 AM

Shari,

Thanks for sharing. Gee, maybe you should change your member name to "Sharing". :yes::yes:

I enjoy the 'insiders perspective' you bring to the table so to speak.

I have a couple of questions.

1) What is the minimum harvesting size for abs?

2) How many species are they harvesting?

3) Yellow abs are the same genus sp. as pink abs (Haliotis corrugata) ?

4) How many members in the coop?

5) Does Juan dive or tend? Or both?

Would love to see some close-up pics of the abs still in the shell.

Thanks
Wiles
Wiles
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2008 at 11:08 AM

Ken,

What about greens, don't leave them out.

Yeah, I remember those days. I could limit out on greens at Santa Barbra Island in a 5 minute dive start to finish. And the San Nick reds seemed big as hubcaps.

When I would come up on a good pocket of abs I would pop them off and lay them shell down, foot up while I popped the rest. Often would result in a tug o war with a big morray. They seemed to like them as much as I did.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2008 at 11:18 AM

Shari, how long does the season last? You made my mouth water! I might just have to drive down from Bahia for a bite! YUM YUM!:yes:

Mean people suck!
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 4-5-2008 at 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wiles
Ken,

What about greens, don't leave them out.

Yeah, I remember those days. I could limit out on greens at Santa Barbra Island in a 5 minute dive start to finish. And the San Nick reds seemed big as hubcaps.

When I would come up on a good pocket of abs I would pop them off and lay them shell down, foot up while I popped the rest. Often would result in a tug o war with a big morray. They seemed to like them as much as I did.

Absolutely right Wiles, forgot about the big greens! Thanks, ++Ken++
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2008 at 02:14 PM

I commend your community Shari. These are good stewards, they protect and manage their livelyhood. Kudos!

It is so sad that the ideals and mindset vary in importance so widely. It is so out of kilter imo. On one side of Baja you have a concerted effort by Mexican locals maintaining a viable fishery.
On the other side(literally) you have a bunch of independants or loosely organised fishermen who cannot or will not or do not practice the law of protecting their interests.
Rather I feel it's more like, get it while you can, before the "big guys" do.

Lessons can be learned from others, and I don't mean Gringos.

----

Ah, the good ol days! Yep, CA was premier ab country in the 60s-70s. Then all hell broke loose Sta Barbara on south.

The fishery collapsed incredibly fast. Within ten yrs, most of the shallower water species were gone along the southern coastline. Blacks, greens were just gone. Pinks were only being found deep.
The Channel Islands slowly lost large populations and the trend still continues.
While working on Catalina Is at a marine science center I was privy to some data and info regarding the large declines in lobster and abalone.
Numerous studies were undertaken to resolve the crisis and recreational as well as commercial interests were heavily scrutinized tho not necessarily blamed for the declines.
While both these animals are highly desireable they also have complex life cycles Juvenile mortality is extremely high in their natural environments.
To this add pollution, increased populations of humans and global water temp changes and you have a potential recipe for disaster.
Like the Salmon crisis here(they say next year will be good??), many factors determine the fate of important animals. The effort to understand why, how and WTF is happening is big but sorry, we need an explanation now.
Fortunately lobster are a bit more adaptable and haven't disappeared. Last I heard, abs are still disappearing. Shoot!
Sadly, the jury is still out.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2008 at 02:26 PM

Juan is back from harvesting rock to build our addition here and he says that what we call yellow abs are probably the pinks which is the top quality for canning...they only harvest yellow and blue here and the minimum size for yellows are 13.5 cm and 14.5 cm for blues. There are 110 members in his coop and there are 2 coops in our village. Juan is both a diver and tender depending on what boat he works on. Sharkie is right about the get while the gettin's good on the gulf...here I'm sure they would do the same if it werent' controlled by the coops. The other coop has just begun an abalone hatchery here so that in case of a collapse of the abalone species due to red tide, we will still have something to fall back on and can re-seed the area...sounds like a good plan.

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2008 at 02:53 PM

Brilliant!

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.