BajaNomad

How many Nomads are hunters?

Pompano - 6-1-2008 at 02:02 PM

A very recent thought occurred to me. How many Nomads hunt?

(I know some are stalkers. :rolleyes:)

Here is photo from a recent hunt from Baja. Some here may even recognize my chocolate lab and golfing partner, Cheyenne. We flew from Mulege to Navajoa and Los Alamos to hunt just-harvested millet fields and other stubbles with an old friend and licensed outfitter.

We have a couple of Nomads who join our Up North fall hunts...one who has bought a farm there and enjoys great pheasant and deer hunting. We can always find room for more. ;)

-.jpg - 49kB

Cypress - 6-1-2008 at 02:29 PM

Pompano, Do I hunt?! You bet!:yes:

Pompano - 6-1-2008 at 02:44 PM

Cypress...knowing Idaho and a few outdoorsmen there fairly well, I assumed you to be a hunter when we first met. Welcome...mi hunting shack es su hunting shack.

p.s. bring some horse feed.

[Edited on 6-1-2008 by Pompano]

Wild Boar on Catalina Island

Gypsy Jan - 6-1-2008 at 02:45 PM

In my salad days (when I was just a young sprout), I was a pretty fair archer and the boys would take me out on midnight hunts to bring home the main course for the luau.

Nowadays, I just avoid the bores (in bars).

DENNIS - 6-1-2008 at 02:47 PM

Does Anthony's in Ensenada count?

Pompano - 6-1-2008 at 02:49 PM

Of course it does, Dennis. How many shots does it usually take there?:saint:

Oso - 6-1-2008 at 02:55 PM

Since I was big enough for a .410! I don't know how many generations back it goes since my grandads passed before I was born, but my dad and uncle made promotional films for Remington in the '30s. They were known as "top guns" of Lake Mattamuskeet, NC, back before there were limits on duck.

Funny thing about where I live... Yuma is widely known as a primo dove-hunting area but one rarely sees pheasant on this side. By contrast, a few miles away in San Luis Rio Colorado, Sonora, there are s***loads of them. I figure it's the difference in agriculture. Over here it's more "efficient" in that farmers squeeze crops out of every possible inch of dirt, making fields pool-table flat with laser guided tractors. On the Mexican side, more land is "wasted" by leaving brush around the edges and corners of fields, thus allowing more cover for the critters. My theory, anyway.

Pompano - 6-1-2008 at 03:37 PM

Oso, me too. A beautiful Winchester .410 pump was my first shotgun when my father figured I was ready. It was a real coming of age thing. Lots of nights spent breaking that most prized possession apart, cleaning, lightly lubing, and polishing the wooden stock and forearm with crushed walnuts. I went on to own several Winchesters over the years. Model 93, Model 12, Model 1200, autos, singles, 0/U Model 101, and host of others...from .410 to 10 ga. lever action cylinder..collector items now.

I KNOW you are right about the newer methods of zero fenceline farming. We are fortunate that our areas where we hunt in Baja and the mainland still practice lots of no-till and leave lots of cover for the birds to roost and use for thier routine travel. Pheasants will always run along that cover line. They need cover as much as they need water.

Same with dove, quail, and chukar.

Hmm...maybe we could convince some rancher/farmers to stock pheasants in Baja? Might open a whole new industry.

[Edited on 6-2-2008 by Pompano]

- 0 1aexcellentroosterhabitat.jpg - 46kB

Paladin - 6-1-2008 at 07:02 PM

Yes I hunt

Paladin of
Paladin Rodent Control
The Ranchers Best Friend
Licensed, insured, and EPA approved

Long range varmit hunting...Sako 223 and Ruger Mini 14
for long ones.
Pistols and 22 rifles for the shorter stupid ones

Proud collector of Smith & Wessons
Mostly revolvers but do have some nice autos from S&W
M39, M41, M52, M745 (no dashes)
Revolver list is too long

Love duck and dove hunting. Nothing but Remington 870 will ever touch these hands. No more deer hunting, I'd rather help them by shooting mountain lions...coyotes are fair game along with spotted owls and condors

Man am I glad someone asked the question.

Ken Bondy - 6-1-2008 at 07:34 PM

My rookie wife was from Madera, California, a small town just north of Fresno in the big California Central agricultural valley. That is dove country. Lots of fields and lots of water. My father-in-law Bud was the Union Oil distributor and sold to all the farmers in the area. Dove season was a huge social event. Everything shut down on Sept. 1, everybody was in the fields. All the farmers loved Bud and he always had invitations to shoot the best fields with the biggest flights. I will always remember being in the fields on those crisp mornings, with just a touch of Fall in the air, but knowing the day would eventual be hot. Dawn would break with a golden glow, and those black streaks would start to fool your eyes until it was light enough to know they were birds. I was never a very good shot, it was more social to me. I loved being in the fields with people I knew and cared for, and I loved the camaraderie between us all. But I did like to eat them, and my mother-in-law sure knew how to cook them. I used a Browning 12 ga. five-shot automatic, plugged for three.
++Ken++

castaway$ - 6-1-2008 at 08:17 PM

I couldn't see myself not hunting, Mule Deer, Elk, Antelope, Bear, Quail, Grouse, Pheasant, did I miss any? Personally I would rather eat game meat and catch my own fish for the freezer than eat the stuff they sell in the stores at least I know what I'm eating. I'm headed to Baja a week from today and I'm excited but when I get back the hunting draw results will be out and I'm just as excited about that!!!! Ya I'm a hunter!

TonyC - 6-1-2008 at 08:28 PM

Blacktail deer, North Calif. Mendocino/Humboldt County. Started with rifle hunts, got into bowing hunts in 1991, thought it would make me a better hunter. I think my uncle let me hunt his land to keep the pot growers out. The deers in both California and Oregon are pretty safe when I'm in the woods.

Got back into quail hunting in Baja Norte 2005, and am hooked again. Big coveys, 2005-2006, last year sucked....this year should be good to great.

Ken Bondy - 6-1-2008 at 08:37 PM

Anyone ever hunted dove over on the Mexican mainland near Lake Hidalgo/El Fuerte?? Largest flights of whitewings I have ever seen over the peanut fields. The sky just got black with them.
++Ken++

Pompano - 6-1-2008 at 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
In my salad days (when I was just a young sprout), I was a pretty fair archer and the boys would take me out on midnight hunts to bring home the main course for the luau.

Nowadays, I just avoid the bores (in pubs).

Gypsy Jan,

Great tale! Boar/bore indeed!

I always like reading your Nomad name. My favorite lab was named Gypsy. She was with me for 15 years..through all kinds of weather, foreign countries, and hunts. Her first trip to Baja was 1973 when she was just a mere pup.

Here's my old gal...I sure miss her.

Gypsy Jan..so..bow hunter, eh? I grew up bending a short Browning 52lb recurve...called The Hunter...I used broadheads with razor inserts. Long before compounds appeared. Whitetail, muleys, and antelope were our main gamefare, but we had many grouse, fools hen, rabbit, and wild turkey dinners.

Bowhunting whitetail as a teenager, I kept so still in the woods that the squirrels would sit on my head. :rolleyes: Well, maybe 'not quite' that still.. But when a teenager all your senses are incredibly alert and I heard, saw, and sensed everything in the wild very acutely. Later requirements were a lot easier because of my family's hunting tradition. I imagine your boar hunts at night pumped a little adrenalin thru the veins? And the bar bores made you yawn....;D

My luckiest moment as an archer came at our Badlands camp when I surprised myself and my brothers hitting a startled jackrabbit on a sizzling run... at 30 yards using a blunt normally used for camp grouse. That jack was a lot tougher eating than the grouse and cottontail, and my older brothers were not impressed with my contribution to the menu.

We brought bows to Baja later, although they were compounds and strictly for target shooting in the backyard.

edit to add photos

[Edited on 12-11-2008 by Pompano]

debindesert - 6-1-2008 at 09:28 PM

With five Uncles from Louisiana, there was no way one could survive in my family without knowing two things: Shoot a gun and tie a fishing line. Both were done with my Mother's utmost disapproval. (There is also a three and four but they involve alligators.)

At a local gun range in Rocklin, California I met three great good ole boys that showed me the best pheasant hunting within a ten-mile circumference of Sacramento. Not really a good marksman, I think they just took me along because they always brought down more than their limits.

Hunted and fished there, Ken.

Pompano - 6-1-2008 at 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy
Anyone ever hunted dove over on the Mexican mainland near Lake Hidalgo/El Fuerte?? Largest flights of whitewings I have ever seen over the peanut fields. The sky just got black with them.
++Ken++

Yes Ken, I've hunted that area and fished quite a few of the lakes around there, too. Years ago some Posada residents and I flew a small plane over to Navajoa and then flew further with outfitter, Oscar Santandar, to some of the best whitewing and quail shooting on earth.

We used mostly harvested millet fields, had great retrievers (my young eager beaver was Francisco), and shot .410 pumps. The nearby marsh goose/duck shooting was top rate. (But not as good as we have Up North..nothing beats that.) Also went pig (javelina) hunting with a .22 long rifle Remington Nylon auto. The largemouth bass in the lakes were huge and plentiful. Lots of action, but not my favorite eating fish, so it was just catch-release.

I agree on the numbers in those whitewind flocks...simply a wonder of nature. I always look forward to going back to the mainland hunting. A good friend of mine here in Baja has also made good on a couple of desert muley hunts to Sonora. We will be going back together later this fall/winter.

Debindesert, your background sounds very familiar to me. If there were ever a non-hunter or fisher'person' in our family tree, they were long ago expelled. With my family's lifestyle and the closeby environment my path was predictable, as was your own love of the wilderness/desert, it seems. I know I would not trade being raised as a 'Huck Finn' for a lifetime cabinloft at Yankee Stadium...(unless of course, it has free Pacifico!!)

Hunting/fishing/the outdoors has always been a major part of my life..since first memory. Like I mentioned, growing up in the country and wilderness, coupled with hunting-ancestor tradition, it came with the turf. It's our culture and it's our good business to sustain nature to repay us in kind. Hunters who are not conservationists never hunt with me long or twice.

Not without certain benefits, besides a good meal. Sometimes, a few non-hunting city contractors who came out to make bids on some project were a little leery of the guy who sat behind this desk. Who knows, maybe that's why I got all those good deals. :rolleyes:

- 0 1 office78.jpg - 35kB

Hunting for 48+, fishing for 57+.

Klondike_Kid - 6-2-2008 at 01:06 AM

Yep, one post newbie here, but will probably meet a number of Nomads in the next few years. Pulling the plug on the hard labor this year. Just cyber work, HD video, hunting all season, then diving and fishing the rest of winter til the dorado are biting before turning back North. I'll have a ton of Q's as time goes by - I'm extremely thorough in my research efforts and planning methods. So bare with me. But enough for now.

Here is Jake at 9 weeks on his first spruce grouse hunt in Alaska. Sept. '05

Here is Jake in the exact same spot, one year later Aug. '06 at 13 months.

And his first 8 duck limit three weeks after the above shot.

And a classic shot of my bud showing what he thinks of the young bull moose in our yard this past winter. NO FEAR!

He'll be three in July. Bred as a Pointing Lab out of Ellensburg, WA. This fall the plan is to join a 20,000 acre dove/pheasant/duck/goose hunting club in Sacramento Valley and get fit hunting our a**es off. Then off to Baja after the 1st of the year with a Vagabundos caravan to get oriented all the way down to Cabo. Then follow the temperature line north with the fish. Zodiac, dive gear and compressor, Polaris 6x6, fishing gear, etc. With the cost of fuel my thoughts have started turning back to a 30'+ sailboat dragging a fishing skiff for exploring the SOC during the winter. So I'll have a lot of info to gather from all you mentors, gurus and masters.

Keep your powder dry and your nose to the wind~!

-KK-

Russ - 6-2-2008 at 06:03 AM

That Ellensburg breeder has got to be proud! I don't think I've ever heard of / seen a Lab point a moose before:O My buddy, Mason, is the first Lab I've had that won't show any interest in playing ball. Before I moved down here I use to hunt E. Wash, Wapato for pheasant, quail, dove and a few ducks. I think Mason is a handsome chocolate but it is really a stretch to call him a retriever. He sometimes points though.

Mason.jpg - 46kB

capt. mike - 6-2-2008 at 06:34 AM

tried and convicted of capital bird murder in Kansas from mid to late 60s on to present. rap sheet shows victims to be quail, dove, pheasant and duck.
the goose has eluded me due to lack of the proper equipment, a goose gun!
proud owner of 12, 16, & 20 guage shotguns, all double barrel , one an L.C. Smith. Another a Spanish made Seguero 20, my 1st gun from my Dad at 13 years.

Bwana_John - 6-2-2008 at 06:42 AM

I enjoy deer, elk, duck, quial, and chukar hunting.

And talkin about big game pointing labs,
[URL=http://img65.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aaavu4.jpg][IMG]http://img65.imageshack.us/
img65/1909/aaavu4.th.jpg[/IMG ][/URL]
But, can she retrieve it?

Bwana_John - 6-2-2008 at 06:48 AM

lets try this again

"big game pointing Labs"

[URL=http://img65.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aaavu4.jpg][IMG]http://img65.imageshack.us/
img65/1909/aaavu4.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Bwana_John - 6-2-2008 at 06:58 AM

One last try,

Big Game Pointing Lab.

But, can she retreive it? ,(and wheres the edit button?)

Late 40's and 50's prices of shotguns

Pompano - 6-2-2008 at 09:58 AM

You can't imagine how good it is to find like-minded sportsmen here. Brings a whole new dimension to the forum. I first hunted Baja in the El Rosario region...quail, dove, deer, and managed not to shoot any goats.

I found some old magazines and catalogs squirreled away at my hunting shack. They took me back to my childhood days and I framed them. Take a good look at those old prices.....wow! What would they go for today? 20-25 times that much.

I wonder how many of these shotguns and rifles made their way to Baja back then? Every rancher I have ever met in Baja and the mainland has a shotgun, a .22, and a 30-30 or two. I never bring guns or ammo to Mexico because it is just too much red tape and worry. If asked, I would advise against it. My amigos and I use the services and equipment of licensed outfitters, of which there are many.

Here's a pic of one page from the old catalog. (Got fishing ones, too. Now there's some collector items!!) Wouldn't you love to find a sporting goods store today...with these bargain prices on collecters? I could fill my other 2 walls at the shack up north. ;D

- 0 1oldgunpricing.jpg - 41kB

mulegemichael - 6-2-2008 at 11:44 AM

Great topic, Pomp....I've hunted em all too, from straight up chukars on the talus slopes to sittin' in a pit over a hundred honker decoys...first gun was a single shot 16 guage; dont even know if they make em anymore. I was fortunate to have grown up on a farm in Oregon and hunted and fished just about everyday of my life growing up....then....lucked into a job as a park ranger and spent twenty years traveling around from remote region to remote region all over the NW....would love to see those clouds of whitewings on the mainland sometime but right now am trying to find those elusive dodos here in mulege

ELINVESTIG8R - 6-2-2008 at 11:56 AM

I was an avid hunter until one day... Actually I had two one days. Once when hunting Canadian Geese and the other when deer hunting. The stories to come later.

Edit: Oh no, I can't tell the stories in here because it did not happen in "La Baja." It happened in Southern Calfiornia. Darn! Oh well some other time and place.

[Edited on 6-2-2008 by ELINVESTI8]

Russ - 6-2-2008 at 03:12 PM

Is this shack just off I-8 by Elensburg?

viewthread.jpg - 46kB

Cypress - 6-2-2008 at 03:17 PM

mulegemichael, Most of those "Mulege Dodos" have migrated north.:tumble:

Bajagypsy - 6-2-2008 at 06:18 PM

Mr. gypsy is a very avid hunter, we try to get our limit in deer and geese each year, to feed the gypsy family! With 3 growing boys and 1 teenage girl, that is a lot of deer!

American's even come to our province to hunt geese, very good hunting in Saskatchewan!

Santiago - 6-2-2008 at 09:19 PM

Good thread. The best thing about about a fall hunt is deer camp. I don't hunt anymore so I get to be camp cook and I love it. Up at 4am to make coffee and biscuits; walk the woods; make dinner and play cards; drink a little loud-mouth and tell lies. I sneak my fly rod along and get to cook trout along with the usual chili, steaks, 'sketti. Might be the best part of the year.

Sorry, no trophy pics, but here she is!

debindesert - 6-2-2008 at 09:52 PM

A really beautiful gal, Deb.

Pompano - 6-3-2008 at 05:34 AM

Your chocolate Emalou probably looked a lot like my Cheyenne when she was a pup.

It's amazing how quickly a puppy can train a human. ;D

Remember the song by Aerosmith?.."The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue."

- 0 0.jpg - 47kB

Way Up North

Pompano - 6-3-2008 at 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Is this shack just off I-8 by Elensburg?

No, Russ...that old line shack is way Up North. Lots of structures with 'character' in our neck of the woods, which is why we like it. :yes:

[Edited on 6-3-2008 by Pompano]

- 0 0 elk shack Bob 88.JPG - 43kB

Paulina - 6-3-2008 at 06:01 AM

The last time I went hunting was for doves in Utah 13 years ago, so I probably don't qualify as a hunter anymore. I am on standby however, with a local good old cowboy who gets the call when the wild pigs invade the farm fields. He's also promised to take me turkey hunting, although Dern says he won't eat it.

P<*)))><

oldlady - 6-3-2008 at 09:06 AM

Never hunted, too old to learn. My labs have a 100%
retrieval record on tennis balls and think prowling through brush is done my rearranging the comforter on the bed.

BUT...I have really enjoyed this thread and reading all of your stories!!!!!!
Thanks!

Boots set out.

Pompano - 6-8-2008 at 08:42 AM

Thanks George. He told me he'd be on the porch, looking over my shoulder. Godspeed, old amigo.

Am now on the Olympic peninsula at the memorial and hooked online today for this quick post.

Here's what the Baja crew looked like in 1978 hunting at my place near Lake Metigoshe, ND. Snows, honkers, and greenies were the main fare with over 4000 full decoys in the fields. Whew..that got us up early in the a.m.

I could fill a few pages with accounts of the hunts and camping trips aquaholic and I took over the years in Baja Sur, but will have to do that another time. Suffice to say, we lived the times and kept the memories in our hearts.

Am heartened to see that I am in good company with the many 'hunter' nomads responding to this thread.

3 veteran Baja hands: biologists-outsdoormen-hunters-fishermen-conservationists-compadres all.

Hunt well, aquaholic.

'aquaholic' - 'Indian Joe' - 'The Purple Sage'

- 0 0 aquaholic (Custom) (3).jpg - 47kB

durrelllrobert - 6-8-2008 at 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Does Anthony's in Ensenada count?

I think it's the girls that do the hunting there, in fact one of them is known for her poor typing cause she's a huntanpecker:lol::lol::lol::lol:

WHY HUNT OR FISH?

Pompano - 3-6-2009 at 08:51 AM

Around our fire for the last few weeks, we have been discussing the future of hunting and fishing.

We are a varied bunch. To some it seems contradictory; to express respect, reverence, even love for an animal or fish that you pursue, hunt, kill, and eat. It’s true that this seeming contradiction is as hard for hunters to explain as it is for non-hunters to understand.

For me, and quite a few of my amigos, it is second nature to hunt and fish. But to explain coherently 'why I do' is often touchy ground when asked by a friend who is a non-hunter/fisher. I will always respectfully try to explain, even to a newcomer, but the answer is too complex for a short conversation. Part of it may be that it takes a life experience and the varities there are countless. I think back to what my father's reply often was when asked by flatlanders .."If I have to explain it to you, you would not understand anyway."..and that was always good enough.

Times are ominous for hunting and fishing these days.

Henry David Thoreau, in the great classic Walden, wrote:

“Go fish and hunt far and wide day by day -- farther and wider -- and rest thee by many brooks and hearth-sides without misgiving. Remember thy Creator in the days of thy youth. Rise free from care before the dawn, and seek adventures. Let the noon find thee by other lakes, and the night overtake thee everywhere at home. There are no larger fields than these, no worthier games than may here be played.”

Thoreau spoke for many hunters (and fishermen) in those words, hunters who hunt not solely for the meat, or for the company, but for the ageless, timeless experience of the hunt itself. If Thoreau had ever found Baja, I wonder where he would call Walden's Pond?

Any new hunts out there? Or hunters?

The versatile and trusty Daisy BB gun.

[Edited on 3-6-2009 by Pompano]

Dog seeking hunters will work for kiblets

estebanis - 3-6-2009 at 12:53 PM

I have a wonderful Versitile Hunting dog. It is a Small Munsterlander Pointer. Just google the breed and you can see what he is about. I would love to work the quail with any of you in Northern Baja next season. I am happy just to handle the dawg. I have a place north of Colonett on the coast. Once I retire I plan to do a whole lot more hunting and fishing!!!
Esteban

Esteban..

Pompano - 3-6-2009 at 02:43 PM

Your dog, the Small Munsterlander, certainly resembles both a spaniel and a setter. A very handsome looking pointer, that I will assume is also a good retriever?

I have visited Munster, Germany a while back, where, as I just read, this breed originated. Seems to be quite rare in the Americas.

We hunt quite a bit with shorthairs and pointing labs. Would love to have you join us with your dog for a hunt or two. Baja and Up North. Our season starts Up North about Sept 1st and we have a few nomads that join us for dove, pheasants, sharptail grouse, partridge, sage hen, ducks, and geese.

Again, nice dog! I found a photo of one:

chukar hunting

Baja Bucko - 3-6-2009 at 06:32 PM

We be chukar hunters with pointing dogs.

Hunt on foot and also on horseback with a pack animal (carries 2 crates, 2 Brittanys on the pack animal, 1 Brittany out runnin'), hunt God's country of the eastern Oregon high desert or the Snake River canyon-wear out dogs and horses and suck on a drink in the evenings after a day of CLASS dog and bird work. Then again there are those days where it is 10 degrees F., the snot has frozen dripping outta yer nose, there's 8" of snow, and its so steep that everytime you shoot at birds that have been really holding tight you FALL DOWN because its SO icey!!!!

For us its not abt shooting the birds, its about working the dogs! Chukar dinner is just icing on the cake after a great day with the dogs we've raised, trained and developed a relationship with.:bounce::bounce::bounce:

mulegemichael - 3-6-2009 at 06:46 PM

all this talk about hunting...not a lot of talk about the notorious chukars...famous birds that will kick yer ass everyday in the tallus...i've chased em up and down, up and down...and the finest tasting game bird available...pomp...chukars???....as a ranger in eastern washington, i would drive the roads till i saw a bunch of them, then jump out, load my gun and head UP, cause that's where they were going...an ankle twisting nightmare of pursuit but when you finally get them in range the rewards are great...chukars can be REALLY dumb,(in cold weather), or REALLY smart, in warm weather...pick yer time...i go fer cold...love it tho...

Russ - 3-6-2009 at 07:08 PM

CHUCKER! A four letter word for sure! I spent the better part of a pheasant season chasing after those birds *%$ birds in Asoton (sp) County E. Wash. I think the last time my Lab looked at me and layed down and my legs wouldn't exit the car so I popped a beer and watched others get run around the cliffs/mountain. They may be tasty but if you shoot like I do, one missed bird will bring tears to your eyes. Towards the end of the season my "friends" reported they could see where I had been shooting. Little green spots all over the place. I went back to hunting pheasant and quail. It was harder to see where I watered the terrain. And a lot fewer chuckles.

Paladin - 3-7-2009 at 02:38 PM

Ground squirrels at Tulare County cattle ranches.
California Condors when the opportunity arises.

mtgoat666 - 3-7-2009 at 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
How many nomads are hunters?

Not me. I prefer to enjoy animals alive. Killing them does nothing for me.

Chuker

bajaguy - 3-7-2009 at 03:29 PM

The first several times I went hunting for Chuker, I thought it was like a high school "snipe" hunt.....no birds, walking about 50 miles of up and down hills, never getting a shot. Afterwards we drank beer, ate ham sandwiches and told lies......

Now I am smarter.........I use a 81 mm mortar and start at the ridgeline, walking the rounds down until the birds are on the flat.....easier shooting!!!!!

Ridgeline chukars..and lowland gobblers

Pompano - 3-8-2009 at 11:49 AM

Great accounts of chukars and hunts, thanks.

Both great gamebirds that live in such different environments. A few times hunting those high country chukars with pointers and flushers who really got into finding the birds, I thought my hunting chums might have to bury me up there...tough going for me these days. But I still go. Like going to Baja, you can't live well without it.

Now for a slower and slightly bigger bird...

This flock of wild turkeys lived in our shelter belts and tree stand, but we never hunted them. Just fun to look and listen at times...right? I shoot with a camera a lot more these days, but I still hunt the outside toms for the table. What would a Thanksgiving wild game dinner be without turkey?

In the long run, men hit only what they aim at. ;D

- WILD TURKEYS - RANCH, ND 2008.jpg - 50kB

windgrrl - 3-8-2009 at 11:51 AM

I am a gust hunter!:lol:

Vegetarians rule,
w

estebanis - 3-8-2009 at 08:02 PM

Quote:
Your dog, the Small Munsterlander, certainly resembles both a spaniel and a setter. A very handsome looking pointer, that I will assume is also a good retriever?

I have visited Munster, Germany a while back, where, as I just read, this breed originated. Seems to be quite rare in the Americas.

We hunt quite a bit with shorthairs and pointing labs. Would love to have you join us with your dog for a hunt or two. Baja and Up North. Our season starts Up North about Sept 1st and we have a few nomads that join us for dove, pheasants, sharptail grouse, partridge, sage hen, ducks, and geese.

Again, nice dog!

Simon is a young dog (2 Years) but doing very well in his development. We had a set back with the lousy season this year. I was counting on the Northern Baja Quail for him to learn on. He Pointed 14 Pheasant in 2 hours on a recent "Canned Hunt" at Ace High Adventures near Harris Ranch. I am hoping I can get with you and others while I am at my place this fall near Colonett. If I was the retired guy I am waiting 6 and half years to be I would be all over working him with you up north. I am working towards his NAVHDA Utility test. He scored a prize one and 108 points out of a possible 112 when he was 14 months for his Natural Ability Test. You can read more about the tests on the Navhda.org website.

Wonderful hunting dog and a great record.

Pompano - 3-10-2009 at 11:48 AM

Thanks for that, estabanis. I read all about the competition and only wish to have been there in person. I hope you are destined to have many good years with your Munsterlander and can join us in Baja, ND and Montana for a few hunts.

Dogs certainly do add to one's life experience. Been fortunate to have had them all my life and they've been good friends all. Here's just a sample of a few I have hunted with in Baja.

24baja - 3-10-2009 at 06:00 PM

My husband Brett and 2 sons are hunters, deer, elk, antelope, turkey, geese, duck, quail, bear and grouse have all ended up on our table at one time or another. I hunted once in my life and couldn't bring myself to kill that beautiful deer so, I hunt fish, for some reason I can fish and it doesn't effect me like it did with the deer. I am a dead on shot with open sites, but I don't like guns. Lucky for the deer, not for the fish!

htnfool - 3-29-2009 at 07:15 AM

HUNTING is my ultimate passion in life.

Since I was about 9, I started killing squirrels and doves in Tennessee with a .410 bolt action. And now I hunt mostly with my Bow.

I shot this buck in Oregon (Steen Mountains) in Sept of 08. He scores about 210 gross.

Happy hunting

Okay Nomads, I need some help here! How do you attach a picture to this site? I clicked on 'Browse' , then on the picture I wanted to share, it shows that the file is in the box, but doesn't have an 'apply' button. I even tried to just paste the file to the reply but that doesn't seem to work either?

[Edited on 3-29-2009 by htnfool]

[Edited on 3-30-2009 by htnfool]

[Edited on 4-19-2009 by htnfool]

[Edited on 4-19-2009 by htnfool]

rsz_50_kb_in_size.jpg - 42kB

Paladin - 3-31-2009 at 09:11 AM

Forgot to mention coyotas and mountain lions

A little BL spelling:tumble:

THIS COYOTE...

Pompano - 3-31-2009 at 11:11 AM

..was Lucky, our Coyote Bay resident coyote a while back.

Nobody would think to shoot such a character, but he had to go eventually.

Some cats started to disappear. :rolleyes:

So we trapped him, hauled him, (to Coyote Nirvana), and set him free.

Hunting Quail, Pheasants, Partridge, and Dove in Baja and Navajoa

Pompano - 4-10-2009 at 03:23 AM

Can you hunt pheasants in Baja? Yes, believe it or not there are ring-necked pheasants in Baja..northern Baja to be precise. You can find pheasant hunting about 2 1/2 hours from San Diego in the Mexicali Valley. Many years ago, the Chinese introduced these beautiful birds when they were brought into the area to work on building irrigation canals. The birds prospered in that great environment and populations have been growing ever since.

The hunting method is the same as elsewhere in North America. You walk, with retrieving and pointing dogs if possible. All on private land. Over 80,000 acres of sorgum, alphalfa, and milo fields offer great wing-shooting oportunities as do the heavy covers of brushy ditches adjoining the fields. Roosters love brushy fencelines, too. You will usually flush and shoot your limit of pheasants by noon lunch.

The weather can be anywhere from 35 to 80 degrees, and that can be very hard on dogs, so well-trained bird boys are employed instead. Forget about heavy clothing, gloves, or raingear.

Dove shooting is fast and furious in the afternoons with pass shooting being the most popular. The birds are flying to and from water holes and feed. We used the outfitter's .410 pump shotguns for a good afternoon of these whitewing doves. We have booked with Baja Hunting a few times in the past with great success. Baja Hunting was founded in 1989 by owner Arturo V. Malo

We have also flown from Mulege to Navajoa on the mainland to sample the great dove field shooting available there through our guide/outfitter, Oscar Santandar. Desert mule deer, peccary or javalina hunts were also offered, along with quail and ducks. Truly a quality hunt with a knowledgable and professional guide. He is almost always booked 2 years in advance.

Cypress - 4-10-2009 at 07:04 AM

Turkey and bear season open next week up here in the north woods of Idaho.:yes:

htnfool - 4-11-2009 at 07:08 AM

How do I post a picture on this??? Got some good ones to share.

Cardon Man - 4-13-2009 at 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Not me. I prefer to enjoy animals alive. Killing them does nothing for me.

I quite enjoy animals alive as well. But certain species provide such great food...natural, clean, 100% organic food that you just can't buy. Good for you on every level. There's a lot more to hunting than killing.

[Edited on 4-13-2009 by Cardon Man]

classicbajabronco - 5-29-2010 at 01:06 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan

Nowadays, I just avoid the bores (in pubs).

Gypsy Jan,

Great tale! Boar/bore indeed!

I always like reading your Nomad name. My favorite lab was named Gypsy. She was with me for 15 years..through all kinds of weather, foreign countries, and hunts. Her first trip to Baja was 1973 when she was just a mere pup.

Here's my old gal...I sure miss her.

Gypsy Jan..so..bow hunter, eh? I grew up bending a short Browning 52lb recurve...called The Hunter...I used broadheads with razor inserts. Long before compounds appeared. Whitetail, muleys, and antelope were our main gamefare, but we had many grouse, fools hen, rabbit, and wild turkey dinners.

Bowhunting whitetail as a teenager, I kept so still in the woods that the squirrels would sit on my head. :rolleyes: Well, maybe 'not quite' that still.. But when a teenager all your senses are incredibly alert and I heard, saw, and sensed everything in the wild very acutely. Later requirements were a lot easier because of my family's hunting tradition. I imagine your boar hunts at night pumped a little adrenalin thru the veins? And the bar bores made you yawn....;D

My luckiest moment as an archer came at our Badlands camp when I surprised myself and my brothers hitting a startled jackrabbit on a sizzling run... at 30 yards using a blunt normally used for camp grouse. That jack was a lot tougher eating than the grouse and cottontail, and my older brothers were not impressed with my contribution to the menu.

We brought bows to Baja later, although they were compounds and strictly for target shooting in the backyard.

edit to add photos

that is the first photo i have ever seen a german shepard shown as a hunting dog....who did it do...ours hunts rats!!

the shorthair hunts everything else.

Chukars in Baja? where?

Pompano - 5-29-2010 at 01:27 PM

Sorry, classicbajabronco...(boy, that's a lot to type)

The chukars are mountain-side types we hunt in Oregon, Washington, Utah. Unfortunately, the German Shepard in that photo was my buddies, not mine. Mine is the black lab. The shepard, Chula, was a good rouster on upland game, but not a great retriever like my lab..nor would she come close to holding a point like Gypsy, who was out of the first pointing lab kennels I had ever heard of at the time. Got her when I crossed the pond in the early 70's.

There are no chukars in Baja...yet, anyway.

Stay tuned, you never know what may happen around here. I never thought we would see a golf course.

classicbajabronco - 5-29-2010 at 01:44 PM

I hunted pluckers off the Columbia river in E.Wa..vantage area...I always have told the wife that pluckers would thrive here.

I wore out a fresh pair of boots in 2 days...my Shorthair threw the towel in and the 3 birds I shot either flew off a cliff, or burrowed down it the rocks..

The dog and I returned to quail were we took limits for the next few days..

cj5orion - 5-30-2010 at 03:55 AM

Another Nomad Hunter here !
Born/raised in Minnesota,San Deigo/Gonzaga Bay now
Birds mainly,deer and pig always possible !
hey....wheres the pic upload button ?
I got a great pic of myself and my best bud sittin on the beach here at Gonzaga

pic

cj5orion - 5-30-2010 at 04:01 AM

pic upload

Cypress - 5-30-2010 at 06:10 AM

Hunted chukars in the high desert of eastern Oregon near the south fork of the John Day river. Got plenty of exercise.:D When you get 'em up you better not miss.

3464james - 5-30-2010 at 10:15 AM

It has been great to read other Nomads hunting experiences, was beginning to think that hunting was a dead issue in Baja. I have spent my entire life hunting; birds, varmits, elk, deer, bear, pigs. I always liked catching fish but never really liked to fish, hence took up spearfishing, more like hunting.

After the FBI honed my long range precision shooting skills, I took up varmit hunting; ground squirrels, rock chucks, prarie dogs. Hence when asked by non afficianados I say I do "grand squirrel habitat restoration". The greenies koo and smile, sort of a warm feeling seems to come over them.

One of my favorite stories, of my misbegotten youth, concerns Catalina Island. I went on a guided goat hunting trip with my father for some kind of goat that they had there. The guide pointed out one of the animals on the side of a cliff with a canyon several hundred feet down. I took up a prone position and the guide said; "shoot", my dad screamed; "don't shoot". The guide yelled; "shoot , shoot now", my dad said; "don't shoot". I was under the impression we had come to Catalina to kill a goat, not sure why my father would say not to shoot , I took the guides advice and shot. Wham, thump. Then I watched the goat fall all the way to the bottom of the canyon. My dad, gave a disgusted response and said; "now go get him." I got down to the bottom of the canyon, where it was very hot and no water. The guide was there too, smiling broadly. The goats horns had been broken off and when I picked up the animal, it felt like a giant bag of jello.
I learned a lesson that day.

Unfortunately a lot of the pheasant habitat is being destroyed in Oregon as the farmers are plowing to the ends of their fields, thus there is no wild underbrush for pheasnats to take cover. Recently many of the farmers are losing their land to the bank and the fields are growing wild, maybe the pheasants will come back.

Great column enjoy many of the posts.
Jim D.

durrelllrobert - 5-30-2010 at 10:17 AM

Quote:
Of course it does, Dennis. How many shots does it usually take there?:saint:

...and is the game edible:?::?:

durrelllrobert - 5-30-2010 at 10:31 AM

Used to hunt mule deer every year in eastern sierras, and chukers on local (Ridgecrest/ China Lake) lava flows in between, but then I got transferred to DC. The definition of hunting in Maryland/ Virginia was freezing you a$$ off siting in a deer stand with a rifled slug in shotgun waiting for deer to come by or hidden/ camouflaged making stuipd noises waiting for turkey to get within range. Sold all my rifles and shotguns and gave up hunting.

Cypress - 5-30-2010 at 11:28 AM

durrelllrobert, Turkey hunting is a great sport, calling 'em up close making those "stupid noises" is a real challenge. And it does indeed get cold waiting on that deer to come by, but that's the way is back east. If my hunting was limited to Maryland/Virginia I'd probably give it up also.:D

vandenberg - 5-30-2010 at 12:01 PM

Not much of a hunter,although have done some. Deer, bear, pheasant, dove etc. here 2 ,to me, funny anecdotes.
Had a friend who raised pheasants and ran a club out of Sacramento. I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn, although I had plenty of chances at that club. Suckers started to make fun of me, and at one time, while we were releasing fresh birds to the clubgrounds, they made me an offer.
" Get ready Van, and lets see if you can hit this one " and they threw a fresh rooster into the air. And I still managed to miss the sucker. Oh well !! Lucky bird. Rather have chicken any time.:biggrin:
Did draw a shoot at one of the large refuges in northern Ca.
Rainy, nasty fall night. Got on the refuge in the early morning dark. No idea where to go. If you listen to other hunters, mistake, they don't want competition, and send you to a wrong location. Had a canvas folding type of stool, borrowed from a friend. First shot, canvas broke, and since we were in about a 11/2' of marsh water, I did get rather wet. Only bird I hit that day, landed about 6' away and apparently managed to grab onto something underwater, since I never did get to see it. Only thing I ended up with was a pneumonia, which lasted for a week or so.:no::no:
Also, ruined the tranny in my truck, driving logging roads while deer hunting, fell into the American River while tryig to clean up at the end of the day.
Have a few, even better ones, but to long for this forum.
And now for all the REAL hunter comments...........:yes::yes:

Cypress - 5-30-2010 at 12:11 PM

vandenberg, You're a REAL honest hunter.;D

Pompano - 5-31-2010 at 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cj5orion
Born/raised in Minnesota,San Deigo/Gonzaga Bay now
Birds mainly,deer and pig always possible !
hey....wheres the pic upload button ?
I got a great pic of myself and my best bud sittin on the beach here at Gonzaga

Hi cj5oriion,
I see you might be having some normal difficulty in posting a photo here. There are several threads that can help you. Here's just one. Do a 'search' for photo posting, resizing, etc. for other threads if you like You will find lots of help here. And...Good to see you on the forum.

I have a place in Minnesota..on Lake of the Woods, great walleyes and birds. Born and also live in ND. Best waterfowling in the world. Come along next fall.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=23465#pid2134...
Good luck and good hunting.

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Not much of a hunter,although have done some. Deer, bear, pheasant, dove etc. here 2 ,to me, funny anecdotes. ...
Had a friend who raised pheasants and ran a club out of Sacramento. I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn, although I had plenty of chances at that club. Suckers started to make fun of me, and at one time, while we were releasing fresh birds to the clubgrounds, they made me an offer.
" Get ready Van, and lets see if you can hit this one " and they threw a fresh rooster into the air. And I still managed to miss the sucker. Oh well !! Lucky bird. Rather have chicken any time.:biggrin:

Have a few, even better ones, but to long for this forum.
And now for all the REAL hunter comments...........:yes::yes:

Ed...I feel your pain. We've all been there one time or another. ONE thing I can tell you for sure, though...

YOU MUST STAY ALERT! BE READY TO TAKE THE SHOT!

Quote:
Originally posted by 3464james
It has been great to read other Nomads hunting experiences, was beginning to think that hunting was a dead issue in Baja. I have spent my entire life hunting; birds, varmits, elk, deer, bear, pigs. I always liked catching fish but never really liked to fish, hence took up spearfishing, more like hunting.

After the FBI honed my long range precision shooting skills, I took up varmit hunting; ground squirrels, rock chucks, prarie dogs. Hence when asked by non afficianados I say I do "grand squirrel habitat restoration". The greenies koo and smile, sort of a warm feeling seems to come over them.

One of my favorite stories, of my misbegotten youth, concerns Catalina Island. I went on a guided goat hunting trip with my father for some kind of goat that they had there. The guide pointed out one of the animals on the side of a cliff with a canyon several hundred feet down. I took up a prone position and the guide said; "shoot", my dad screamed; "don't shoot". The guide yelled; "shoot , shoot now", my dad said; "don't shoot". I was under the impression we had come to Catalina to kill a goat, not sure why my father would say not to shoot , I took the guides advice and shot. Wham, thump. Then I watched the goat fall all the way to the bottom of the canyon. My dad, gave a disgusted response and said; "now go get him." I got down to the bottom of the canyon, where it was very hot and no water. The guide was there too, smiling broadly. The goats horns had been broken off and when I picked up the animal, it felt like a giant bag of jello.
I learned a lesson that day.

Unfortunately a lot of the pheasant habitat is being destroyed in Oregon as the farmers are plowing to the ends of their fields, thus there is no wild underbrush for pheasnats to take cover. Recently many of the farmers are losing their land to the bank and the fields are growing wild, maybe the pheasants will come back.

Great column enjoy many of the posts.
Jim D.

Hola Jim....Certainly know what you mean about taking the best shot for a particular condition.

Per the photo above...Once, Nomad aquaholic was alongside me when I long-distanced a nice fat muley..and, as luck would have it, a ledge gave way, and it ended up at the bottom of a very steep canyon. One side of his rack had busted off...but we're venison shooters, racks are just a plus.

We worked our way down and looked the situation over.

Grim..grim..grim. The haulout was gonna kill us for sure.

Now Aquaholic always had a great sense of humor..and captured this moment by saying, "Hey, LongRanger...Hungry?..Let's build a fire and have breakfast..lunch..and then DINNER!"

We were a couple of tired young guys when we finally got that deer back to the Blazer. Made some terrific speekachut later that week, though...mmm.

THE LAST ANIMAL I EVER KILLED. NEVER AGAIN!

ELINVESTIG8R - 5-31-2010 at 12:16 PM

900 PLUS YARD SHOT. MY BEST EVER AND MY WORST EVER!

Pompano - 5-31-2010 at 03:21 PM

David..you know, and I know, that taking a 900 yard shot ..at a deer... is just plumb wrong. I would say that you have made the right decision to quit killing any animals.

Hunt responsibly.. respect the hunt, stalk, kill with certainty.

ELINVESTIG8R - 5-31-2010 at 03:34 PM

Quote:
David..you know, and I know, that taking a 900 yard shot ..at a deer... is just plumb wrong. I would say that you have made the right decision to quit killing any animals.

AYE AYE SIR!

estebanis - 5-31-2010 at 03:38 PM

Quote:

Yeah save those shots for Osama Bin Laden and his pals!:biggrin:

Pompano - 5-31-2010 at 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ELINVESTIG8R
Quote:

AYE AYE SIR!

Don't get me wrong, David. I respect 'your' decision. You are a good man to have done so.

True..the kill is the culmination of hunt. We're not fishing here; there's no catch-and-release option, it's all or nothing.
The kill is not the bottom line reason for the hunt, but it cannot be removed from the equation.

There are many types of hunting, but only one real type of hunter. The true hunter is respectful of others and of their property. He has great respect for his prey, and will never, ever shoot when he doesn't reasonably expect to kill cleanly.

Having said that, there is still one helluva lot more to hunting than the kill. This is what I think you have found out, David...and I'm sure you are satisfied with that. I applaud you.

You know about the other benefits that hunting brings:

Kindred spirits who love nature..creating strong friendships that span lifetimes.

An appreciation for the comical aspect of nature.

Heritage. Father-son relationships strengthened.

...and always great incentive to decorate your decoy trailer.;D

Yeah..you'll be out there enjoying it all as much as any of us..even if you don't shoot anything. :yes:

fishabductor - 5-31-2010 at 06:45 PM

I am a hunter as well, have a german shorthair, I lived in MT for 10 years and shot many a deer, elk, and lots of birds. I quit hunting waterfowl because as much as I love to shoot them...I just can't stomach them.. I also have hunted Turkeys, which are a great challenge, as well as Antelope.

Thanks for all the great photos...

ELINVESTIG8R - 5-31-2010 at 06:59 PM

Pompano thank you for the butt chewing. I deserved it 20 plus years ago and never got it. I can now say I have finally received it. Thank you again!

David

LancairDriver - 6-1-2010 at 02:21 PM

I bet the youngster in the picture with the birds got a good talking to on gun handling after posing with the gun barrel leaning on his belly.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

capt. mike - 6-1-2010 at 03:35 PM

George you gonna be at ML's for the 4th?
do you have the lat long for his strip?
i thot it was 48OR in the database but not his.
looking for 1900 ft of grass??
how ya bean??

DENNIS - 6-1-2010 at 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike

how ya bean??

Has anyone ever talked to you about that phrase? :lol::lol:

Oh, yeah....I remember now. :saint:

capt. mike - 6-1-2010 at 03:57 PM

YEAH BUT WE ARE STILL FRIENDS....:lol::lol::lol:
well we both like wine anyway...and i like mexicans - so... ?? go figure! hahahaha.

LancairDriver - 6-1-2010 at 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
George you gonna be at ML's for the 4th?
do you have the lat long for his strip?
i thot it was 48OR in the database but not his.
looking for 1900 ft of grass??
how ya bean??
]

Hola Mike- I'm planning on attending. I don't think your going to see that grass strip listed anywhere but on the Klamath Falls Sectional. It's on the Klamath Falls Sectional and listed as Umpqua (pvt) 700-19, and is east of Roseburg near Glide right on the north side of the Umpqua river. It's usually pretty hot there on the 4th and the strip is short and grass so you will be marginal in the Commanche. I would look at going into Roseburg and getting a short ride to the festivities will be no problem. Hope to see you there. Maybe you can swing over to my home base, Cape Blanco International (5S6)on the coast where it is cool and we can go catch a Salmon off Port Orford when your up here.

See Ya then.

Pompano - 6-2-2010 at 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LancairDriver
I bet the youngster in the picture with the birds got a good talking to on gun handling after posing with the gun barrel leaning on his belly.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Good morning, LancairDriver,

Yes, be sure he did..but in his defense, it was a Red Ryder lever action B-B rifle. Even at that tender age the kid knew it had to be c-cked to fire that deadly round into his entrails.:rolleyes:

I still have that pellet rifle. A real doozy. Now if I only had the woody wagon to go scouting in, I'd be a happy hunter.

cj5orion - 6-2-2010 at 06:51 AM

hey Pompano;
Another Minnesota/Midwest boy huh !
I was down in Hastings,by the twin cities.
Yea,,,them Walleyes !!! God I miss em ! Fun to catch,even better to eat !
Yep,,,ND's got the best Pheasant huntin ever!
Deer,,,300#'s...not uncommon,here in SD...they taste like the sage bush they eat and your lucky if ya get 100 #'s dressed.:no:

Dont know if a pic uploaded or not ?
preview post doesnt show it ?
I created a baja nomads file just to downsize some pics for uploading ?

capt. mike - 6-2-2010 at 06:55 AM

ok, i found it on airnav, thx!
we are 50-50 at the moment and yes i'll be at RBG if we come.
i would make it a point to get to your sea side digs too.
have friends driving up in a diesel pusher to see their other friends in RGB too so it would be a big party.
Kevin's casa is coming along well back of MLs. Nick is making his 1st flight to baja to his new casa next door to ML this weekend - Denver to GLL in a Dakota!! he's nutz!!

Pompano - 6-2-2010 at 07:05 AM

Quote:
hey Pompano;
Another Minnesota/Midwest boy huh !
I was down in Hastings,by the twin cities.
Yea,,,them Walleyes !!! God I miss em ! Fun to catch,even better to eat !
Yep,,,ND's got the best Pheasant huntin ever!
Deer,,,300#'s...not uncommon,here in SD...they taste like the sage bush they eat and your lucky if ya get 100 #'s dressed.:no:

Dont know if a pic uploaded or not ?
preview post doesnt show it ?
I created a baja nomads file just to downsize some pics for uploading ?

Hola CJ-5...had a couple of those myself, still do..great fun.

I've been through Hastings a few times, naturally. I never hunt much in Minnesota, except for late season bluebills on Lake of the Woods where I have a lake home. There we often have to buy Canadian licenses to make sure we are legal in any situation. The rock & pine islands there are some of the best scenery this side of heaven. Walleyes galore and the best eating possible.

Sending this from Malarrimo's in Guerrero Negro where have hunted sea brant, dove, and quail.

Next stop..fishing somewhere along the coast...

durrelllrobert - 6-2-2010 at 08:19 AM

Quote:
Born/raised in Minnesota,

All of my relatives on my mothers side are from the Ely, Virginia, Hibbing area where I used to spend summers and where the walleyes rule. My great uncle was Billy Rum, the famous boundry waters canoe outfitter.:coolup:

LancairDriver - 6-2-2010 at 12:58 PM

Pompano, you sure hang out in some neat spots. I have fished on Lake of the woods, and north into Canada some years back. If you are fishing your way up the coast and hit the So. Oregon coast and have some time, U2 me and maybe we can arrange an Ocean Salmon fishing outing. Enjoy your posts and pictures a lot.

ELINVESTIG8R - 6-5-2010 at 03:15 PM

SAN JUAN DE DIOS 43 YEARS AGO

ELINVESTIG8R - 6-6-2010 at 07:53 AM