BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: How many Nomads are hunters?
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 6-1-2008 at 02:02 PM
How many Nomads are hunters?

A very recent thought occurred to me. How many Nomads hunt?

(I know some are stalkers. :rolleyes:)

Here is photo from a recent hunt from Baja. Some here may even recognize my chocolate lab and golfing partner, Cheyenne. We flew from Mulege to Navajoa and Los Alamos to hunt just-harvested millet fields and other stubbles with an old friend and licensed outfitter.

We have a couple of Nomads who join our Up North fall hunts...one who has bought a farm there and enjoys great pheasant and deer hunting. We can always find room for more. ;)

-.jpg - 49kB

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 6-1-2008 at 02:29 PM

Pompano, Do I hunt?! You bet!:yes:
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2008 at 02:44 PM

Cypress...knowing Idaho and a few outdoorsmen there fairly well, I assumed you to be a hunter when we first met. Welcome...mi hunting shack es su hunting shack.

p.s. bring some horse feed.

[Edited on 6-1-2008 by Pompano]

Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 6-1-2008 at 02:45 PM
Wild Boar on Catalina Island

In my salad days (when I was just a young sprout), I was a pretty fair archer and the boys would take me out on midnight hunts to bring home the main course for the luau.

Nowadays, I just avoid the bores (in bars).

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2008 at 02:47 PM

Does Anthony's in Ensenada count?
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2008 at 02:49 PM

Of course it does, Dennis. How many shots does it usually take there?:saint:

Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 6-1-2008 at 02:55 PM

Since I was big enough for a .410! I don't know how many generations back it goes since my grandads passed before I was born, but my dad and uncle made promotional films for Remington in the '30s. They were known as "top guns" of Lake Mattamuskeet, NC, back before there were limits on duck.

Funny thing about where I live... Yuma is widely known as a primo dove-hunting area but one rarely sees pheasant on this side. By contrast, a few miles away in San Luis Rio Colorado, Sonora, there are s***loads of them. I figure it's the difference in agriculture. Over here it's more "efficient" in that farmers squeeze crops out of every possible inch of dirt, making fields pool-table flat with laser guided tractors. On the Mexican side, more land is "wasted" by leaving brush around the edges and corners of fields, thus allowing more cover for the critters. My theory, anyway.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2008 at 03:37 PM

Oso, me too. A beautiful Winchester .410 pump was my first shotgun when my father figured I was ready. It was a real coming of age thing. Lots of nights spent breaking that most prized possession apart, cleaning, lightly lubing, and polishing the wooden stock and forearm with crushed walnuts. I went on to own several Winchesters over the years. Model 93, Model 12, Model 1200, autos, singles, 0/U Model 101, and host of others...from .410 to 10 ga. lever action cylinder..collector items now.

I KNOW you are right about the newer methods of zero fenceline farming. We are fortunate that our areas where we hunt in Baja and the mainland still practice lots of no-till and leave lots of cover for the birds to roost and use for thier routine travel. Pheasants will always run along that cover line. They need cover as much as they need water.

Same with dove, quail, and chukar.

Hmm...maybe we could convince some rancher/farmers to stock pheasants in Baja? Might open a whole new industry.

[Edited on 6-2-2008 by Pompano]

- 0 1aexcellentroosterhabitat.jpg - 46kB

Paladin
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2008 at 07:02 PM

Yes I hunt

Paladin of
Paladin Rodent Control
The Ranchers Best Friend
Licensed, insured, and EPA approved

Long range varmit hunting...Sako 223 and Ruger Mini 14
for long ones.
Pistols and 22 rifles for the shorter stupid ones

Proud collector of Smith & Wessons
Mostly revolvers but do have some nice autos from S&W
M39, M41, M52, M745 (no dashes)
Revolver list is too long

Love duck and dove hunting. Nothing but Remington 870 will ever touch these hands. No more deer hunting, I'd rather help them by shooting mountain lions...coyotes are fair game along with spotted owls and condors

Man am I glad someone asked the question.
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 6-1-2008 at 07:34 PM

My rookie wife was from Madera, California, a small town just north of Fresno in the big California Central agricultural valley. That is dove country. Lots of fields and lots of water. My father-in-law Bud was the Union Oil distributor and sold to all the farmers in the area. Dove season was a huge social event. Everything shut down on Sept. 1, everybody was in the fields. All the farmers loved Bud and he always had invitations to shoot the best fields with the biggest flights. I will always remember being in the fields on those crisp mornings, with just a touch of Fall in the air, but knowing the day would eventual be hot. Dawn would break with a golden glow, and those black streaks would start to fool your eyes until it was light enough to know they were birds. I was never a very good shot, it was more social to me. I loved being in the fields with people I knew and cared for, and I loved the camaraderie between us all. But I did like to eat them, and my mother-in-law sure knew how to cook them. I used a Browning 12 ga. five-shot automatic, plugged for three.
++Ken++
castaway$
Senior Nomad

Mood: Fish on!

[*] posted on 6-1-2008 at 08:17 PM

I couldn't see myself not hunting, Mule Deer, Elk, Antelope, Bear, Quail, Grouse, Pheasant, did I miss any? Personally I would rather eat game meat and catch my own fish for the freezer than eat the stuff they sell in the stores at least I know what I'm eating. I'm headed to Baja a week from today and I'm excited but when I get back the hunting draw results will be out and I'm just as excited about that!!!! Ya I'm a hunter!
TonyC
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2008 at 08:28 PM

Blacktail deer, North Calif. Mendocino/Humboldt County. Started with rifle hunts, got into bowing hunts in 1991, thought it would make me a better hunter. I think my uncle let me hunt his land to keep the pot growers out. The deers in both California and Oregon are pretty safe when I'm in the woods.

Got back into quail hunting in Baja Norte 2005, and am hooked again. Big coveys, 2005-2006, last year sucked....this year should be good to great.
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 6-1-2008 at 08:37 PM

Anyone ever hunted dove over on the Mexican mainland near Lake Hidalgo/El Fuerte?? Largest flights of whitewings I have ever seen over the peanut fields. The sky just got black with them.
++Ken++
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2008 at 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
In my salad days (when I was just a young sprout), I was a pretty fair archer and the boys would take me out on midnight hunts to bring home the main course for the luau.

Nowadays, I just avoid the bores (in pubs).

Gypsy Jan,

Great tale! Boar/bore indeed!

I always like reading your Nomad name. My favorite lab was named Gypsy. She was with me for 15 years..through all kinds of weather, foreign countries, and hunts. Her first trip to Baja was 1973 when she was just a mere pup.

Here's my old gal...I sure miss her.

Gypsy Jan..so..bow hunter, eh? I grew up bending a short Browning 52lb recurve...called The Hunter...I used broadheads with razor inserts. Long before compounds appeared. Whitetail, muleys, and antelope were our main gamefare, but we had many grouse, fools hen, rabbit, and wild turkey dinners.

Bowhunting whitetail as a teenager, I kept so still in the woods that the squirrels would sit on my head. :rolleyes: Well, maybe 'not quite' that still.. But when a teenager all your senses are incredibly alert and I heard, saw, and sensed everything in the wild very acutely. Later requirements were a lot easier because of my family's hunting tradition. I imagine your boar hunts at night pumped a little adrenalin thru the veins? And the bar bores made you yawn....;D

My luckiest moment as an archer came at our Badlands camp when I surprised myself and my brothers hitting a startled jackrabbit on a sizzling run... at 30 yards using a blunt normally used for camp grouse. That jack was a lot tougher eating than the grouse and cottontail, and my older brothers were not impressed with my contribution to the menu.

We brought bows to Baja later, although they were compounds and strictly for target shooting in the backyard.

edit to add photos

[Edited on 12-11-2008 by Pompano]

debindesert
Nomad

Mood: Amused

[*] posted on 6-1-2008 at 09:28 PM

With five Uncles from Louisiana, there was no way one could survive in my family without knowing two things: Shoot a gun and tie a fishing line. Both were done with my Mother's utmost disapproval. (There is also a three and four but they involve alligators.)

At a local gun range in Rocklin, California I met three great good ole boys that showed me the best pheasant hunting within a ten-mile circumference of Sacramento. Not really a good marksman, I think they just took me along because they always brought down more than their limits.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, \'What a ride!\' - Author Unknown
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2008 at 11:38 PM
Hunted and fished there, Ken.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy
Anyone ever hunted dove over on the Mexican mainland near Lake Hidalgo/El Fuerte?? Largest flights of whitewings I have ever seen over the peanut fields. The sky just got black with them.
++Ken++

Yes Ken, I've hunted that area and fished quite a few of the lakes around there, too. Years ago some Posada residents and I flew a small plane over to Navajoa and then flew further with outfitter, Oscar Santandar, to some of the best whitewing and quail shooting on earth.

We used mostly harvested millet fields, had great retrievers (my young eager beaver was Francisco), and shot .410 pumps. The nearby marsh goose/duck shooting was top rate. (But not as good as we have Up North..nothing beats that.) Also went pig (javelina) hunting with a .22 long rifle Remington Nylon auto. The largemouth bass in the lakes were huge and plentiful. Lots of action, but not my favorite eating fish, so it was just catch-release.

I agree on the numbers in those whitewind flocks...simply a wonder of nature. I always look forward to going back to the mainland hunting. A good friend of mine here in Baja has also made good on a couple of desert muley hunts to Sonora. We will be going back together later this fall/winter.

Debindesert, your background sounds very familiar to me. If there were ever a non-hunter or fisher'person' in our family tree, they were long ago expelled. With my family's lifestyle and the closeby environment my path was predictable, as was your own love of the wilderness/desert, it seems. I know I would not trade being raised as a 'Huck Finn' for a lifetime cabinloft at Yankee Stadium...(unless of course, it has free Pacifico!!)

Hunting/fishing/the outdoors has always been a major part of my life..since first memory. Like I mentioned, growing up in the country and wilderness, coupled with hunting-ancestor tradition, it came with the turf. It's our culture and it's our good business to sustain nature to repay us in kind. Hunters who are not conservationists never hunt with me long or twice.

Not without certain benefits, besides a good meal. Sometimes, a few non-hunting city contractors who came out to make bids on some project were a little leery of the guy who sat behind this desk. Who knows, maybe that's why I got all those good deals. :rolleyes:

[Edited on 12-11-2008 by Pompano]

- 0 1 office78.jpg - 35kB

Klondike_Kid
Junior Nomad

Mood: Preparing for Eventuality

[*] posted on 6-2-2008 at 01:06 AM
Hunting for 48+, fishing for 57+.

Yep, one post newbie here, but will probably meet a number of Nomads in the next few years. Pulling the plug on the hard labor this year. Just cyber work, HD video, hunting all season, then diving and fishing the rest of winter til the dorado are biting before turning back North. I'll have a ton of Q's as time goes by - I'm extremely thorough in my research efforts and planning methods. So bare with me. But enough for now.

Here is Jake at 9 weeks on his first spruce grouse hunt in Alaska. Sept. '05

Here is Jake in the exact same spot, one year later Aug. '06 at 13 months.

And his first 8 duck limit three weeks after the above shot.

And a classic shot of my bud showing what he thinks of the young bull moose in our yard this past winter. NO FEAR!

He'll be three in July. Bred as a Pointing Lab out of Ellensburg, WA. This fall the plan is to join a 20,000 acre dove/pheasant/duck/goose hunting club in Sacramento Valley and get fit hunting our a**es off. Then off to Baja after the 1st of the year with a Vagabundos caravan to get oriented all the way down to Cabo. Then follow the temperature line north with the fish. Zodiac, dive gear and compressor, Polaris 6x6, fishing gear, etc. With the cost of fuel my thoughts have started turning back to a 30'+ sailboat dragging a fishing skiff for exploring the SOC during the winter. So I'll have a lot of info to gather from all you mentors, gurus and masters.

Keep your powder dry and your nose to the wind~!

-KK-

One thing you can\'t recycle is wasted time~!
The pursuit of happiness is the chase of a lifetime~!
My Home TURF http://www.AlaskaOutdoorJournal.com/
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2008 at 06:03 AM

That Ellensburg breeder has got to be proud! I don't think I've ever heard of / seen a Lab point a moose before:O My buddy, Mason, is the first Lab I've had that won't show any interest in playing ball. Before I moved down here I use to hunt E. Wash, Wapato for pheasant, quail, dove and a few ducks. I think Mason is a handsome chocolate but it is really a stretch to call him a retriever. He sometimes points though.

Mason.jpg - 46kB
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 6-2-2008 at 06:34 AM

tried and convicted of capital bird murder in Kansas from mid to late 60s on to present. rap sheet shows victims to be quail, dove, pheasant and duck.
the goose has eluded me due to lack of the proper equipment, a goose gun!
proud owner of 12, 16, & 20 guage shotguns, all double barrel , one an L.C. Smith. Another a Spanish made Seguero 20, my 1st gun from my Dad at 13 years.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Bwana_John
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2008 at 06:42 AM

I enjoy deer, elk, duck, quial, and chukar hunting.

And talkin about big game pointing labs,
[URL=http://img65.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aaavu4.jpg][IMG]http://img65.imageshack.us/
img65/1909/aaavu4.th.jpg[/IMG ][/URL]
But, can she retrieve it?
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.