BajaNomad

New Fishing Service out of Puertecitos!

pascuale - 7-7-2008 at 04:15 PM

Sounds Cool, I read this off the other fishing website!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gone to Baja Expeditions has added another service to its 5 day all inclusive trips. We have a BRAND NEW 23ft center console super panga with a BRAND NEW 115 suzuki 4 stroke. We will be getting delivery in Ensenada at the end of the month and the boat will be licenced, insured and registered with the port captian and ready for work by July 25th 2008. We are chartering the new panga for 400 per day for 4 fishermen. The price will get you to the Enchanted Islands for Grouper, yellowtail, etc. We will launch out of Puertecitos about 50 miles south of San Felipe.

We were qualified for this boat by the Mexican Gov entity SEMARNAP. We were given a large grant for the boat because of our record with good service to the tourist industry and our promotions of sport fishing and diving. This grant is part of an ongoing move by the Mex Gov to support legal and safe ECO-TOURISM companies that have demonstrated good work records and service. It took us 4 years to get to the top of the list.

This will be a very reliable boat that will give us all years of good service. If you would like to charter the boat for the day feel free to give me a PM. We are already booking days so Its best to book in advance so you dont end up down there and the boat is busy or Captain Naty is busy.

This will be my first ever BRAND NEW boat with a BRAND NEW outboard in my life!

Still dont have a name for her yet.....taking suggestions.....

GTB

Wow what a nice deal!

Sharksbaja - 7-8-2008 at 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pascuale

Still dont have a name for her yet.....taking suggestions.....

Well, how's about "Baja Nomaids" :P:lol:

shari - 7-8-2008 at 09:06 AM

Muchos felicidadez Pascuale...that is fantastic and I can imagine how excited you are! WE understand how difficult all the tramites are to license boats...whew...glad you made it through all that. Mi esposo Juan is trying to find out about these goverment programs we have heard about as we bought another panga and really need an engine. Any ideas if it's only in baja (norte)? We wish you all the success in the world and can't wait to see your first fishing report with fotos of your new "Nomaid"...love it.

fishbuck - 7-8-2008 at 10:52 AM

I have a suggestion for the name

"Way too expensive"

400/day? From Puertecitos? The enchanted islands? You mean like Bola? That's your closest yellowtail. That's like 150 miles.
This makes no sense.
The monthly payment on that boat can't be much more than $400.

tripledigitken - 7-8-2008 at 11:07 AM

The Enchanted Islands (Isla San Luis and El Muerto) are north of Gonzaga Bay. Not a long run from their base.

Ken

If you go to Google Earth and find these two islands north of Gonzaga you will see a blue dot on the coast right in the middle of the two. Just click the blue dot "Campo Miramar" and a nice photo showing the Islands (there are more than 2) will pop up.

[Edited on 7-8-2008 by tripledigitken]

fishbuck - 7-8-2008 at 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
The Enchanted Islands (Isla San Luis and El Muerto) are north of Gonzaga Bay. Not a long run from their base.

Ken

Okay, I wasn't clear on that.
Isla Muerto is still atleast 20 miles and Isla San Luis is atleast 30 miles from Puertecitos
About a mile from the beach and well within tin or inflatable range from the road.
Will there be any fish on those islands?

Will there be any fish there?

capt. mike - 7-8-2008 at 01:33 PM

if you consider what Dale Pearson www.gonetobaja.com has to go thru to get gas and supplies to there plus if he needs maintenance, his rate is not that far off , heck other super pangas are getting close to that on east cape. $400 4 guys - $180 one guy - what's the diff??
and its all about eco tourism too. his customers are mainly free divers, and he has a base close to the enchanted so you can stay there too.
call him about an all inclusive rate he'll negotiate with you on the boat i'll bet. you can't find a more enthusiastic hand to do baja with than Dale.

congtats Dale if you see this - and here's your boat's new name name - Diablo Rojo...as in the squid films you and Scott mmade on Discovey ch.

gonetobaja - 7-8-2008 at 02:24 PM

Hola Nomads!

Thanks Pascuale for putting this out there for me!

Isla El Muerto is 5 miles off shore. Huerfanito is about 1 mile. they both hold fish if you know where to look There are yellowtail at those islands during certain times of the year.

As far as the cost of $400 per day being too expensive, well, I have the price that low because I can book the boat every weekend with MEXICAN clients who appreciate how hard it is to get a reliable BRAND NEW craft to that area and to have the proper licenses and insurance.

The "road" if you want to call it that, to access areas close to the islands to launch a boat will do $400 dollars in damage to your trailer before you get it to the shore, then if you do go out in a little tin boat and get hit by the wind you get blown away and possibly swamped by 5ft whitecaps. Not that it always goes like that, only 70% of the time.

I one time went out in a panga that had the cylinder head re-fused together with JB weld, yep good ole JB weld.......20 miles out with no chance of rescue.....yep I hope it holds........$250 for the day..............JB weld............"hey amigo, do you have a RADIO in here somewhere?".........."I gotte radio but is at for the home, no prolem I fixe the enchen ver goood with the JB weldit".........

We will have the boat ready to work by July the 25th. After that the customers will let me know how my pricing is by how many trips I book.:smug:

If you are interested in taking her to the islands you can get me on my website for reservations or you can just go for it and try and find my Partner Naty in town. He lives on the east side of the runway. Channel 9 on VHF

If you go for it without reservations dont be mad if the boat is busy or Naty aint home.

By the way, there is gas in Puertecitos now but you guys probably already know that. The PEMEX has gas only.

Whats up Capt Mike? I need your plane later this month! Get with me!

Dale
GTB

capt. mike - 7-8-2008 at 04:12 PM

got the message Dale, ready to go, jes holler!

mtgoat666 - 7-8-2008 at 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gonetobaja
Hola Nomads!

your website works really poorly with IE7. suggest you get rid of the intro, as clicking on "skip intro" crashes IE7. if i do get past the intro, then pics and text are all messed up.

are you a gringo-owned biz? or mex-owned?

gonetobaja - 7-8-2008 at 06:20 PM

We are a Mexican owned company. Sorry for the website troubles it is a PC , MAC thing I think. Not too great at computers, but I can find the fish!:lol:

David K - 7-8-2008 at 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken

Ken

Okay, I wasn't clear on that.
Isla Muerto is still atleast 20 miles and Isla San Luis is atleast 30 miles from Puertecitos
About a mile from the beach and well within tin or inflatable range from the road.
Will there be any fish on those islands?

Will there be any fish there?

Here's a photo of some of the Enchanted Islands... the closest in El Huerfanito (The Little Orphan)... all by itself, away from the others!:

fishbuck - 7-8-2008 at 06:32 PM

Quote:
Hola Nomads!

Isla El Muerto is 5 miles off shore. Huerfanito is about 1 mile. they both hold fish if you know where to look There are yellowtail at those islands during certain times of the year.

As far as the cost of $400 per day being too expensive, well, I have the price that low because I can book the boat every weekend with MEXICAN clients who appreciate how hard it is to get a reliable BRAND NEW craft to that area and to have the proper licenses and insurance.

The "road" if you want to call it that, to access areas close to the islands to launch a boat will do $400 dollars in damage to your trailer before you get it to the shore, then if you do go out in a little tin boat and get hit by the wind you get blown away and possibly swamped by 5ft whitecaps. Not that it always goes like that, only 70% of the time.

I one time went out in a panga that had the cylinder head re-fused together with JB weld, yep good ole JB weld.......20 miles out with no chance of rescue.....yep I hope it holds........$250 for the day..............JB weld............"hey amigo, do you have a RADIO in here somewhere?".........."I gotte radio but is at for the home, no prolem I fixe the enchen ver goood with the JB weldit".........

We will have the boat ready to work by July the 25th. After that the customers will let me know how my pricing is by how many trips I book.:smug:

If you are interested in taking her to the islands you can get me on my website for reservations or you can just go for it and try and find my Partner Naty in town. He lives on the east side of the runway. Channel 9 on VHF

If you go for it without reservations dont be mad if the boat is busy or Naty aint home.

By the way, there is gas in Puertecitos now but you guys probably already know that. The PEMEX has gas only.

Whats up Capt Mike? I need your plane later this month! Get with me!

Dale
GTB

Hi Dale

Okay fair enough. But Guillermo in Bola only gets $350/day for his 6pack megapanga with tuna tower and head. The boat is about a year old with a big fourstroke on it.
350 is for the big island too. In the bay it's 300/day.
I fished a Diaz super panga by myself Sat. $150/day. It wasn't new but the fish didn't seem to mind. Neither did I. It was great.
But what ever the market will bear. Good fishing to you Sir!

fishbuck - 7-8-2008 at 06:51 PM

Palmas De Cortez Fleet

BOAT TYPE
PRICE

23’ Super Deluxe Pangas
$250

28’ Cruiser
$385

28’ Deluxe Cruiser
$450

32’ Cruiser
$550

32’ Deluxe Cruiser
$660

Price includes: Mexican sales tax, ice, filleting & freezing.

Buena Vista Resort Fleet

BOAT TYPE
PRICE

23’ Super Panga
$260

26’-28’ Cruiser
$385

28’ Deluxe Cruiser
$450

29’-31 Deluxe Twin engine Cruiser
$510

Rancho Leonero Fleet

BOAT TYPE
PRICE

22’ Panga
$260

23’ Super Panga
$260

28’ Cruiser
$385

Martin Verdugo's Fleet "Los Barriles"

BOAT TYPE
PRICE

22’ Panga
$230

23’ Super Panga
$240

28’ Cruiser
$380

Price includes: Mexican sales tax, crew of two, fishing license, fishing tackles, filleting & freezing, ice, 24 drinks.

Paula - 7-8-2008 at 08:15 PM

Thanks, Fishbuck-- good info:yes:

gonetobaja - 7-8-2008 at 08:19 PM

Quote:
Palmas De Cortez Fleet

BOAT TYPE
PRICE

23’ Super Deluxe Pangas
$250

28’ Cruiser
$385

28’ Deluxe Cruiser
$450

32’ Cruiser
$550

32’ Deluxe Cruiser
$660

Buena Vista Resort Fleet

BOAT TYPE
PRICE

23’ Super Panga
$260

26’-28’ Cruiser
$385

28’ Deluxe Cruiser
$450

29’-31 Deluxe Twin engine Cruiser
$510

Rancho Leonero Fleet

BOAT TYPE
PRICE

22’ Panga
$260

23’ Super Panga
$260

28’ Cruiser
$385

Martin Verdugo's Fleet "Los Barriles"

BOAT TYPE
PRICE

22’ Panga
$230

23’ Super Panga
$240

28’ Cruiser
$380

Price includes: Mexican sales tax, crew of two, fishing license, fishing tackles, filleting & freezing, ice, 24 drinks.

You are not the first person from the states to complain about paying a fair wage for a service in Baja. I have seen first hand how tourist will come down to baja and expect that people, because they are poor, to be desperate and do everything under the sun to please the tourists.

Its usually the tourist that want the lowest prices that want the most service, and who will say the most stuff if they dont get it. The same type of person that wants a 3 dollar discount on a 15 DOLLAR blanket. "Tell the senyor that I will give him 12...."

If you are trying to build a case on how our services are overpriced, do me a favor and do some research on licensed guide services between San Felipe and Gonzaga and tell me what you come up with. Other charters and their prices, hundreds of miles to the south of me are hardly relevant.

But like you said, whatever the market will bear......I guess my plans of getting rich doing fishing trips in baja are out the window.....:lol:

fishbuck - 7-8-2008 at 08:55 PM

I did buy one of those blankets once. And I believe I did barter too. Isn't that the mexican way?
I haven't ever researched the prices for pangas in the area you described. Why would I bother? As far as I know the fishing isn't any good. And Puertecitos is a dump.
The market sets the price. What ever people are willing (or desparate) too pay is what the goods and services will cost.
I posted the prices from East Cape because another poster stated they were charging $400/day for a super panga. Not true.
In fact they charge less for a 28 foot cruiser than you are asking for your shiney new panga. A crusier is better than a panga anyday or anywhere.
As far as I can tell they are making plenty of money at those rates on the east cape. And the fishing there on a bad day is probably better than the best day at Puertecitos.
I fished at Los Muertos in May and paid $140 for a standard 22 foot panga with a fairly new 2 stroke evenrude. It was fine. And I caught fish too. Dorado, Rooster, Amberjack.
You got any of those species in Puertecitos?
A smart consumer spends their hard earned dollars where they can get the most bang for the buck. In fishing that is simply the most fish catching for the least money period!
Anything else is pure bullsh!t.
But good luck anyway.

fishbuck - 7-9-2008 at 03:01 AM

I'm going to try and be a little nicer to Dale.
I did research the Enchanted Islands in the archives of Mexfish. There are some fish there.
I found one report from private boaters in a 28ft skipjack. They did catch 2 dorado trolling outside the islands.
It was in August. When they went to a store in Gonzaga or somewhere there the thermometer read 132 degrees. The writer didn't think it was right and that it was really only 122 degrees.
The dodos were 20lb class. Nice fish. They also caught some yellowtail. But none bigger than 10lbs. Mostly much smaller. Smaller!?
Sierra mackerel where the other good game fish. Grouper were down in 1000 feet of water trying to stay cool.
That was really the only good report. There were many too.
Dale, sir, I admire you for living your dream. You've got balls.
But may I suggest that you should announce the grand opening of your sportfishing business with a more... um... cheaper price?
Say $200/day? And then build up a clientle and post a bunch of great photos of fish and your boat and smiling fisherman.
My friends Shari and Juan have posted some great photos. So good in fact that I drove the 500-600 miles just to fish there.
And when I meet them I wanted to hang out with them and fish with Juan every chance I can.
And if fish are around Juan will find them too.
We fished in a minipanga with three men and piled fish up in that thing.
It was some of the best purist fishing I have ever done.
So I don't know how you came up with your business model but it may be unrealistic.
Some people built a fancy boutique hotel. It's beautiful. They opened and the price was $400/night. I checked it today and it's now $200/night. Maybe this time next year it will be $100/night. The market will determine the price.
But please keep us informed. I may be wrong about this. If so I will buy a panda and open a sportfishing business there.
Do they make pangas with airconditioning.

:cool:

capt. mike - 7-9-2008 at 06:18 AM

$200 a day is not worth his time.

plus you get to party with Dale!

some experiences just cost more and can't be compared to any base line.

and yes - i was incorrect on the pangas at east cape. but factor your true cost just to to get there and then compare to a quick easy trip budget to Enchanted isles.
plus you can fly into puertocitos or san felipe and Dale will pick you up. Puertocitos is a dump but they have a well maintained strip that's easy at around 2500 ft. the party is futher south at the islands.
save the crummy drive for those that want to put up with it.

gonetobaja - 7-9-2008 at 08:08 AM

Fishbuck,

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my post. Any and all comments to me are welcome and appreciated.

The area where I fish is not very well known or fished.

I have been in business for 5 years now and we do mostly 5 day all inclusive trips. They cost 1,200 dollars per person and include transportation from San Diego and back as well as lodging, meals, and 3 days of fishing. I cant be on the water all of the time so we needed to change our services.

The new service is the per day charter of the Panga. The pricing may be different in the areas where you go because of the massive amount of tourists there. I know operators in those areas who take people out for 250 for 4 hours. The do 2 and sometimes 3 trips per day.

We leave at sunup and are off the water by 4pm. Our usual route is the 30 miles to the south to hit the islands and then back. So fuel can be an issue. In addition, there is no rescue or other commercial boats except for the shrimpers in my area and Sr. Tony Reyes. We keep a rescue boat at shore for us only. We also carry survival gear, water maker, and radio/rescue equipment for the saftey of the customers. Me and my partner speak english.

As far as fish, the only ones we dont have are Wahoo and Tuna. I have seen and caught every other type myself so I know they are there.

We are located 3 hours south of the Mexicali border and are within easy reach of weekend tourists that want to get away for a few days and not have to catch a jet to baja Sur.

Puertecitos is a dump? Well, I will talk to the people there and after we figure out how to get full time power and running water we will tackle other issues. I spend alot of time on the beach picking up trash left over by tourists who think that if they camp on the beach and leave a big ass bag of trash then it will somehow dissapear like magic.

I am often asked by people...."why dosent that guy clean up the plastic bags stuck on the cactus and stuff...." Little do they realize that "that guy" has no bathroom in his house and his problems of getting water and power are more pressing than keeping the hillside clean. There were lots of scrap metal guys who came into town and took most of the old cars, so that looks better, but for the most part......

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder......

FYI A proper Mexican company for fishing and diving charters costs over 7,000 per year in permits, licenses, taxes, and insurance. just to turn the key legal, as a foreigner in Mexico, I am compelled to follow ALL the rules and not try to fly under the radar for risk of loosing everything.

Here are some pics of the fish we get and the dump where I live:P

tripledigitken - 7-9-2008 at 08:23 AM

Thanks for posting the pictures. I've heard good things about your operation.

Good luck with your new boat.

Ken

shari - 7-9-2008 at 10:33 AM

Holy bigfish...great pics Dale and nice dump too! (Although you don't look mexican) You make excellent points about the high cost of permits and being legal which most tourist have no concept of at all. This is why us mexican businesses get so steamed when foreigners "take people fishing"...you know...meet tourists in bars and say hey I'll take ya fishing on my boat..which really cuts into the legitimate businesses charters, as well as all the illegitimate charter "operations"...hard to compete with those... Plus the point about getting all the stuff into your remote area and the price of gas etc...but I see now from the price lists that we need to raise our prices....maybe double!!! suerte compaρero

gonetobaja - 7-9-2008 at 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Holy bigfish...great pics Dale and nice dump too! (Although you don't look mexican) You make excellent points about the high cost of permits and being legal which most tourist have no concept of at all. This is why us mexican businesses get so steamed when foreigners "take people fishing"...you know...meet tourists in bars and say hey I'll take ya fishing on my boat..which really cuts into the legitimate businesses charters, as well as all the illegitimate charter "operations"...hard to compete with those... Plus the point about getting all the stuff into your remote area and the price of gas etc...but I see now from the price lists that we need to raise our prices....maybe double!!! suerte compaρero

Sheri,

I just looked at your website, and IMHO you do need to raise your prices. Im not sure how you can operate at those rates when one bad day can end up in a bent or destroyed prop that can cost the profit of 8 weeks at your rates. I started with lower prices when I first got going, 4 day all inclusive trips with lodging and food plus the boat for two days for 700 bucks.

Several propelors, rudders, waterpumps, impellors, hull repairs, trailer damages, and boat ramp fees later I decided that I would actually have to raise my prices or just go out of business. Im not sure how it is down south but in my area we pay our taxes every month. We use the equivelant of a Mexican CPA to handle our books so everything is proper.

If you are taking people out for 100 bucks after you subtract fuel, taxes, insurance, and licenses how much are you making? Not enough in my neck of baja to get your water tank filled and buy some chicken legs.

By the looks of your website you offer a great service with a wide range of options for your customers. My advice would be to raise your prices so you can offer this service to anyone and everyone for years in the future. It is very hard to offer a stable dependable service for tourists when you are just getting by.

One of the main problems I have encountered over the years is that there is a majority of tourists who think that barganing down the prices is the "Mexican Way". I would like to submit that this is the "Tourist Way". I dont know of any mexicans that try and jack their paisanos out of 3 dollars of profit. Its the tourists who come down and think that everything should be a bargin because its Mexico. People think that by going down to Baja and buying stuff at a super low price is a helpfull thing. The truth is that tourism can also be just as harmfull to areas as helpfull. Paying for goods or services from a vendor and not allowing them to make enough profit to take care of their families has been the standard operating procedures for tourists for too long.

How much does a blanket vendor or a panga operator or a taco stand make in a day? Well take a look at the areas where the people live that perform these services for tourists. They live in 1 room shacks with no running water, a car battery for power and a VHF radio for a phone (if that). They take the 17 dollars they made for the day and get rice and beans and some propane and hope to survive another day. I have spent alot of time with my friends in the area where I live. I have never met a Mexican who brags on how much money he is making off of the tourists. The only ones I know sit at home at the end of the day after taking care of a tourist all day, cleaning their fish, loading and unloading their gear, and then get a 10 dollar tip for the day because the tourist was thinking....."Damn I already paid 300 bucks for a freekin panga, they should do that stuff for free...."

Whoever reads this if you are a tourist that goes to Baja and tries to squeeze all the profit out of every service you see or use than you might consider that you may be one of the reasons that the panga guy that you use every year still lives in a one room shack.

Someone told me once that if you are not part of the solution than you may be the problem.

I cant buy something in Mexico with a clear mind unless I give the dude a couple of bucks more than he wanted. To me its a couple of bucks, to the vendor its his families welfare. I never got buyers remorse from giving the vendor a 20 dollar bill for something he wanted 16 bucks for.

But Im so rich that I can buy 6 dollar burgers at Carls Jr and just throw the fries in the trash...sometimes I even upgrade to onion rings...cause Im rich like that, I even tipped a taco stand 5 dollars one time for 3 fish tacos...money is no object for a rich charter captain like me.....its just how I roll....:lol:

Dale

mtgoat666 - 7-9-2008 at 12:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Sheri,

I just looked at your website, and IMHO you do need to raise your prices. Im not sure how you can operate at those rates when one bad day can end up in a bent or destroyed prop that can cost the profit of 8 weeks at your rates. I started with lower prices when I first got going, 4 day all inclusive trips with lodging and food plus the boat for two days for 700 bucks.

Several propelors, rudders, waterpumps, impellors, hull repairs, trailer damages, and boat ramp fees later I decided that I would actually have to raise my prices or just go out of business. Im not sure how it is down south but in my area we pay our taxes every month. We use the equivelant of a Mexican CPA to handle our books so everything is proper.

If you are taking people out for 100 bucks after you subtract fuel, taxes, insurance, and licenses how much are you making? Not enough in my neck of baja to get your water tank filled and buy some chicken legs.

By the looks of your website you offer a great service with a wide range of options for your customers. My advice would be to raise your prices so you can offer this service to anyone and everyone for years in the future. It is very hard to offer a stable dependable service for tourists when you are just getting by.

One of the main problems I have encountered over the years is that there is a majority of tourists who think that barganing down the prices is the "Mexican Way". I would like to submit that this is the "Tourist Way". I dont know of any mexicans that try and jack their paisanos out of 3 dollars of profit. Its the tourists who come down and think that everything should be a bargin because its Mexico. People think that by going down to Baja and buying stuff at a super low price is a helpfull thing. The truth is that tourism can also be just as harmfull to areas as helpfull. Paying for goods or services from a vendor and not allowing them to make enough profit to take care of their families has been the standard operating procedures for tourists for too long.

How much does a blanket vendor or a panga operator or a taco stand make in a day? Well take a look at the areas where the people live that perform these services for tourists. They live in 1 room shacks with no running water, a car battery for power and a VHF radio for a phone (if that). They take the 17 dollars they made for the day and get rice and beans and some propane and hope to survive another day. I have spent alot of time with my friends in the area where I live. I have never met a Mexican who brags on how much money he is making off of the tourists. The only ones I know sit at home at the end of the day after taking care of a tourist all day, cleaning their fish, loading and unloading their gear, and then get a 10 dollar tip for the day because the tourist was thinking....."Damn I already paid 300 bucks for a freekin panga, they should do that stuff for free...."

Whoever reads this if you are a tourist that goes to Baja and tries to squeeze all the profit out of every service you see or use than you might consider that you may be one of the reasons that the panga guy that you use every year still lives in a one room shack.

Someone told me once that if you are not part of the solution than you may be the problem.

I cant buy something in Mexico with a clear mind unless I give the dude a couple of bucks more than he wanted. To me its a couple of bucks, to the vendor its his families welfare. I never got buyers remorse from giving the vendor a 20 dollar bill for something he wanted 16 bucks for.

But Im so rich that I can buy 6 dollar burgers at Carls Jr and just throw the fries in the trash...sometimes I even upgrade to onion rings...cause Im rich like that, I even tipped a taco stand 5 dollars one time for 3 fish tacos...money is no object for a rich charter captain like me.....its just how I roll....:lol:

Dale

Dale,
You really don't like some of your customers, do you?. When you take a disliking to your customers, do you throw them to the sharks? :lol:
You sound like a gringo, and your company cars have CA plates -- but you said you were a mexican biz. ?? How/why do you do transport in Mexico w/o mex vehicles and mexican drivers,... taxi and bus drivers in cities will eat you for lunch when they find out.

pascuale - 7-9-2008 at 12:50 PM

Quote:
I'm going to try and be a little nicer to Dale.
I did research the Enchanted Islands in the archives of Mexfish. There are some fish there.
I found one report from private boaters in a 28ft skipjack. They did catch 2 dorado trolling outside the islands.
It was in August. When they went to a store in Gonzaga or somewhere there the thermometer read 132 degrees. The writer didn't think it was right and that it was really only 122 degrees.
The dodos were 20lb class. Nice fish. They also caught some yellowtail. But none bigger than 10lbs. Mostly much smaller. Smaller!?
Sierra mackerel where the other good game fish. Grouper were down in 1000 feet of water trying to stay cool.
That was really the only good report. There were many too.
Dale, sir, I admire you for living your dream. You've got balls.
But may I suggest that you should announce the grand opening of your sportfishing business with a more... um... cheaper price?
Say $200/day? And then build up a clientle and post a bunch of great photos of fish and your boat and smiling fisherman.
My friends Shari and Juan have posted some great photos. So good in fact that I drove the 500-600 miles just to fish there.
And when I meet them I wanted to hang out with them and fish with Juan every chance I can.
And if fish are around Juan will find them too.
We fished in a minipanga with three men and piled fish up in that thing.
It was some of the best purist fishing I have ever done.
So I don't know how you came up with your business model but it may be unrealistic.
Some people built a fancy boutique hotel. It's beautiful. They opened and the price was $400/night. I checked it today and it's now $200/night. Maybe this time next year it will be $100/night. The market will determine the price.
But please keep us informed. I may be wrong about this. If so I will buy a panda and open a sportfishing business there.
Do they make pangas with airconditioning.

:cool:

There are no other guide services in the area and there are plenty of fish there fishbuck. Nice cabrilla, gulf grouper, Pargo, Sierra, Yellows, Dorado, and yes I have caught roosters in Gonzaga. The best part is there are almost no other boats fishing the area as far as the eye can see. The Golden Reef is soooo Fishy. You just have to know how to fish there. I dont see the point in bashing such a positive thing for the area. If you dont like the operation, area, or prices, dont go! Stop being a "GOF"

fishbuck - 7-9-2008 at 01:24 PM

Well, I'm glad you guys have fish there. That's always a good thing in my book.
Like I said I checked the Mexfish archive. All the other spots are well documented with lots of fish in season. Puetecitos is barely ever mentioned.
The only mention of San Filepe is the motherships and they fish the midriff islands. Why?
Trust me if there were fish there I would know about it.
If you do't like my comments that's okay. This is a discussion board. Don't expect me to kiss you a$$ and I won't expect you to kiss mine either.
And I don't see anything positive about a $400/day panga in a place that's hotter than the sun and deader than the moon. But I guess you do. Different (sun) strokes for different folks I guess.
Now a 150/day panga in a place with a cool pacific breeze ad yellowtail a half mile off the beach. Ya, that's a positive.
If fact it doesn't get any better than that! Right Shari!

PS: I'm guessng that Dale posted a monster fish picture but my server choked on it so I'll look at it when I get to work.

tripledigitken - 7-9-2008 at 01:32 PM

Fishbuck,

Sounds like you need a trip to TJ to improve your attitude.
:tumble:

Ken

gonetobaja - 7-9-2008 at 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Dale,
You really don't like some of your customers, do you?. When you take a disliking to your customers, do you throw them to the sharks? :lol:
You sound like a gringo, and your company cars have CA plates -- but you said you were a mexican biz. ?? How/why do you do transport in Mexico w/o mex vehicles and mexican drivers,... taxi and bus drivers in cities will eat you for lunch when they find out.

I am a gringo with a FM-3 and a work visa. I have permanent residency. The company is owned buy my partner who is Mexican. I speak spanish and my wife is Mexican, my time in mexico is measured in years not trips. We do not provide a "transportation service" per say and do not offer "transportation" as a solo option. If a person orders an all inclusive package the truck ride is just part of the deal. The Hacienda has no problem with me providing transportation as part of the overall service, nor do they have a problem with using my home for the people to stay there. The problem arises when you try and use your home as a per night hotel, or your vehicle as a per ride business. These types of business need to be licensed and taxed accordingly. Similar if a panga operator offers you lunch, that does not mean he is a licensed resturant.

I love my customers, when I get one that I dont like I keep my mouth shut and do my job, which is get them on the fish and get them back to shore safely. Unfortunately being a guide is a "customer service" position and you get all types of people comming down for the service. You never know when are going to get bad apple but I can assure you that they are out there. Run a tourist service company and you will see what I mean.

Start the day with a tourist that has been drinking from 7:30 am and then take them out on the water for 6 hours. Then feel my pain as he takes a leak all over the back of the boat because he is too drunk to stand up straight by 10am and wants to blame you because a wave hit the boat when he was taking a leak and he got it on his leg.:lol:

The information I post here on the Nomads board is aquired from experience in the tourist industry, not speculation. Every job has its bad days, thats why they call it work. The majority of my customers are return customers, they know that if they book me than I will be ready with no excuses. I have put many people on their biggest fish, most fish, whale shark rides, and other once and a lifetime experiences. I love the look on someones face when they have one of those days. But sometimes a person comes down on a vacation with pre-concived ideas on how it should go and ends up stressed out because things in Baja dont always go as planned. Sometimes these people will take out their stress on the people who are trying to give them the services they are looking for.

A person drives hours to get to baja only to have the charter operator tell him that the wind is too bad to get to the islands, he will have to stay close to shore for triggerfish and snapper......it is not unheard of for the customer to blame the captian and be peeed off all day.

Im just passing some knowledge to the Nomads who come down to baja so they can have a little insight as to what the service providers really think. The stuff I am writing on this board is downright kind compared to some of the things I have heard other service providers say about tourists.

bottom line is that our company offers a LEGAL, DEPENDABLE AND FAIR SERVICE, we work hard and do what we say.

Some people might read this and not like it because it may sound like them. I dont make stuff up I just report the facts.

:yes:

shari - 7-9-2008 at 02:08 PM

Dale makes some very good points...we started with low pricing but now we have new bigger, pangas and are desperate for a better trailer as here on the pacific, launching is a real challenge..we need another engine, etc, etc...I'd love to have another battery so I don't have to use the one from my truck!...gas has gone way up...I can see that raising our prices would allow us to have these important upgrades as like Dale says, we are barely making ends meet....so take note Nomads...prices are going up...I'd love to hear what some of our clients think of that! Maybe a famous Nomad poll is in order here!

tripledigitken - 7-9-2008 at 02:16 PM

Shari,

Back when you brought up the topic of tips, a few (myself included) thought you needed to raise your prices. The service you provide is unique and warrants a fair price not just for the customers but for you also.

Ken

[Edited on 7-9-2008 by tripledigitken]

woody with a view - 7-9-2008 at 02:21 PM

i would think if you need money to cover ongoing costs you'd raise prices. if you take clients out everyday maybe the lost revenue (due to higher prices) would wash with the volume.

tough decision if you don't have the volume, but prices for everything ARE going up. just remember not to price yourself out of the the market. then there is the occasional person (like me) who isn't a hardcore fisherman with the best tackle who wants to just take his wife out and have fun.

maybe there should be a sliding scale based on the value of your tackle?

or maybe i'll just keep my little fistful of peso's and stick to shore fishing.

good topic.....

shari - 7-9-2008 at 02:32 PM

I totally agree Woody...and we have always offered sliding scale fees with lots of our clients. You see...our prices reflect what WE might be able to pay and since we have a very humble income, we want to offer fun to those who perhaps cant afford the big price vacations. I really want to keep our prices reasonable so normal folks can come and enjoy this place but boy, the cost of doing business is going up and up so and we need some better equipment to offer better service. One neat thing is that our regular clients know how we live and they reward our "personal" service by bringing us lots of goodies that we wouldn't be able to afford or cant' get here. Take Santiago for example...he arrived last night and livened up the dinner party with some nice BIG bottles of wine and food stuffs..some folks bring fishing gear for Juan, baja warrior gave us a super deal on an old trailer, bajaboy always brings lots of goodies and Pale Ale....speaking of which, excuse me while I go crack one.

woody with a view - 7-9-2008 at 02:36 PM

baja bartering nomads......the way it should be....

capt. mike - 7-9-2008 at 03:14 PM

Dale - pay no attention to the devil goat, he has never much positive to say about anything here.

and to correct my earlier comment.......puertocitos is kinda dumpy...;^) yes.
but Dale's Coral Castle is way cool!!!!!!!!!

BajaWarrior - 7-9-2008 at 03:19 PM

How far south from Puertocitas are you Dale? We have a beach house in Playa Hermosa/Santa Maria 25 miles south of San Felipe. I'd like to make it down to your place sometime for a side trip.

Also, is your office in Bay Park/San Diego? I've seen your truck around. If so, I live right up the street.

[Edited on 7-9-2008 by BajaWarrior]

fishbuck - 7-9-2008 at 04:02 PM

Okay I'm at work. Those are some great fish! But looks like mostly spearfishing. But some beautiful fish. Thanks for posting them. Mostly bottom fish, any palegics?
Thank you for taking the time to explain the costs. I'm sure it is very expensive to run a first class operation like yours.
But keep in mind that it's equally expensive for the fisherman who would drive or fly to your location and stay a day or two.
Anyway, I'm curious to see how it works out for you. You have certainly handled my comments like a gentleman and I sincerely wish you great fishing and sucess.:coolup:

David K - 7-9-2008 at 04:23 PM

1) A business needs to make a profit or it doesn't stay in business... and that service or product is no longer available to the customer. [does the customer want a panga or not]

2) Be Flexible! If you notice a drop in business while others don't, a lower price increases sales! Better to make a little profit than no profit!

3) Cost increases due to higher costs of: operations, products used, government taxes must be added to your charge or you will make less and less as time rolls on... Is your business a hobby or do you need to live on what you make (the profit) from your business?

The income a fisherman makes on taking a tourist out must pay for the cost of the day (fuel, upkeep, safety equipment, fishing supplies, business license and business taxes... THEN the amount left over is the 'profit' ...but wait! That is a gross profit, from which the fisherman must live off of and enjoy for his efforts... He needs to have a home, a vehicle, pay living expenses, then he should make something beyond that so he can enjoy life beyon the basic needs or have money to re-invest or build up his business.

So, who would spend a day on the water and not make anything doing that? Would any of you go to your jobs if you made less than what it took to get there... assuming you are not wealthy.

The fisherman, boating guides, etc. of Baja are not a charity service that should only get enough income to buy the fuel for the day's trip or the cost of the day's operation... No, they need to be payed enough to feed their wife and children, live every day... not just when the weather is good, and so on...

In 1973, a panga fishing day out from Loreto/ Puerto Escondido was under $50... 35 years later, is $300+ really that shocking?

David K - 7-9-2008 at 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
How far south from Puertocitas are you Dale? We have a beach house in Playa Hermosa/Santa Maria 25 miles south of San Felipe. I'd like to make it down to your place sometime for a side trip.

Also, is your office in Bay Park/San Diego? I've seen your truck around. If so, I live right up the street.

[Edited on 7-9-2008 by BajaWarrior]

Chuck, on his web site, under services: http://www.gonetobaja.com

We are located at beautiful Playa Escondida 1 mile north of the small town of Puertecitos. There are several Palapa camp sites for rent and has the finest beaches in the area. For those who would like to drive down and visit us in your own car we also rent fishing poles and offer hot showers at the campo. We are also currently under construction of our Castle by the Beach, Castillo Escondido, where future guests can have all of the creature comforts available, with a beachfront room to boot. Check out our "Our Gear" page for more info.

BajaWarrior - 7-9-2008 at 06:10 PM

Thanks David, we just drove down to Campo Costilla a couple of weeks ago for some swimming and exploring, I guess we missed seeing the house from the road...

Diver - 7-9-2008 at 06:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:
You are not the first person from the states to complain about paying a fair wage for a service in Baja. I have seen first hand how tourist will come down to baja and expect that people, because they are poor, to be desperate and do everything under the sun to please the tourists.

Its usually the tourist that want the lowest prices that want the most service, and who will say the most stuff if they dont get it. The same type of person that wants a 3 dollar discount on a 15 DOLLAR blanket. "Tell the senyor that I will give him 12...."

Quote:
Puertecitos is a dump? Well, I will talk to the people there and after we figure out how to get full time power and running water we will tackle other issues. I spend alot of time on the beach picking up trash left over by tourists who think that if they camp on the beach and leave a big burro bag of trash then it will somehow dissapear like magic.

For a guy that is trying to get business from Nomads and other tourists, you sure sound like you hate them !!
I have no desire to fish with you.

Wiles - 7-9-2008 at 07:12 PM

Seems to me he just dislikes the same thing most of us dislike.

The ugly tourist.

David K - 7-9-2008 at 07:20 PM

Yah, and I have seen the 'ugly tourist' who throw their trash about and leave dirty diapers on the beach... and I don't say a thing to them when I see it, because in all cases, it was 'their country' that they were trashing and as a foreignor I would be out of place.:rolleyes::!::no:

40 years ago, Americans didn't do a very good job of hauling out trash either... It takes education and desire... and thinking about the future generations, too.

fishbuck - 7-9-2008 at 07:34 PM

"Its usually the tourist that want the lowest prices that want the most service, and who will say the most stuff if they dont get it. The same type of person that wants a 3 dollar discount on a 15 DOLLAR blanket. "Tell the senyor that I will give him 12...."

"One of the main problems I have encountered over the years is that there is a majority of tourists who think that barganing down the prices is the "Mexican Way". I would like to submit that this is the "Tourist Way". I dont know of any mexicans that try and jack their paisanos out of 3 dollars of profit. Its the tourists who come down and think that everything should be a bargin because its Mexico. People think that by going down to Baja and buying stuff at a super low price is a helpfull thing. The truth is that tourism can also be just as harmfull to areas as helpfull. Paying for goods or services from a vendor and not allowing them to make enough profit to take care of their families has been the standard operating procedures for tourists for too long."

How to Barter for Goods in a Mexican Market
By eHow Travel Editor

Rate: (1 Ratings)

Mexico has a long been known as a great place to make a deal on local goods. Markets exist in every city and those cities frequented by tourists are an opportunity for variable pricing being set by the vendor. Shopkeepers will do their best to get the most for their goods and many get what they ask, and for the patient among the shopping crowd there is an opportunity to have some fun while paying less.

In San Felipe there is a street that has muscled itself up for tourism. Mar de Cortez Norte is a corridor of commerce, a gauntlet through which, on a good day (during Spring Break, for example), a passage is rarely achieved without the casualties of at least a few pesos. There are just too many eye-catching baubles, wherever you turn.

Shopping in San Felipe is best done on foot. It's a small town and the tourist industry thrives at its heart. The north end of Mar de Cortez offers most of the shops. But if you walk the length of the road, you will find some interesting things at the south end as well.

Some shops don't mind if you want to haggle over the price of something. Others stick to their prices. Sidewalk vendores and itinerant jewelry salesmen expect you to barter a bit. There's usually a large markup and you'll make their day if you surrender to the first price they name. Prices are often based on how you look or behave. Many shops now have price tags on their wares, but some still do not. It's a good idea to shop around for the item you want. Prices can vary quite a bit within a fifty foot distance.

There are many "Segundos" or 2nd hand stores. Often they are just piles of merchandise strewn on the sidewalk or street side. Haggling at these places is a duty, just like at any garage sale. The secret is to pretend you don't care if you own the object or not. Offers and counteroffers are exchanged with cool heads. It helps if you occasionally throw up your arms and begin to walk away. Chances are good the vendor will call you back and give you a lower price. If you walk away again, he may ask you what you want to pay. Tell him a price about half of what he wants. He'll make a face like a lemonade salesman and complain he'll lose money at that price. And then he'll name another price. Again with the arms and the slow retreat.

The goal should be to pay a little above half the original asking price. Usually the halfway mark is the vendor's lowest limit. Getting a little bit more keeps him happy and makes you satisfied you've driven a good bargain. Of course everything depends on the vendor's disposition. This may work one day for you and fail miserably the next.

[Edited on 7-10-2008 by fishbuck]

Diver - 7-9-2008 at 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wiles
Seems to me he just dislikes the same thing most of us dislike.
The ugly tourist.

He just seems to want to blame all the problems on the tourists.
Have you ever been to La Ventana or the Concepcion beached after a locals' festival ??
It's not just ugly tourists that litter !!

And we don't really care who throws trash on our property; we still clean it up !!

Don Alley - 7-9-2008 at 08:04 PM

Fishing is getting expensive.

I read many posts from sport fishermen concerned with the rising costs of the sport in a time of falling values in home equity, stocks, and the value of the dollar. Daily party boats, long range trips out of San Diego, private boat trips, they are all going up. And in Baja, there are the rising prices (and lower availability) of airline tickets to contend with.

So I am not surprised at a few raised eyebrows at panga charters hitting $400, especially when very few have reached or surpassed the $300 level.

What does surprise me is the response, alleging that those of us paying less (the Loreto pangeros I use charge $190) are fishing with captains who live in "one room shacks," and implications that we don't tip, or that perhaps their boats (24-25 footers with four stroke engines) are just so inferior, and held together with JB weld. And the implication that these poor, downtrodden people need a gringo savior to bring them fair wages.

I think there's a lot of territory between the proposed $400 charters and these crude stereotypes of impoverished pangeros and selfish gringos.

woody with a view - 7-10-2008 at 06:29 AM

it's probably me, but doesn't the mexican fisherman go fishing to feed his family and/or give the excess to friends and/or sell the excess? now if a gringo comes along and wants to pay to go fishing for the day doesn't the mexican fisherman still get to fish for his share of the fish?

i guess there are fishermen and businessmen and it seems the two are never the same.....

Everyone has their opinion--

beercan - 7-10-2008 at 07:28 AM

But I live in Puertecitos and it aint no dump.
Diver has it right , 'cause I've seen the results of the "locals" and it isn't pretty. They manage to leave about twice as much garbage as the "gingos" !
Clara has a regular cleanup and it keeps her people busy !

Quote:
By Diver
He just seems to want to blame all the problems on the tourists. Have you ever been to La Ventana or the Concepcion beached after a locals' festival ?? It's not just ugly tourists that litter !! And we don't really care who throws trash on our property; we still clean it up !!

goat , you're eating too much of your dung !!

beercan - 7-10-2008 at 07:33 AM

get back on your meds that the Vet gave you.
I know Dale , and he has worked hard to get this business rolling .

Quote:
by goats
Dale, You really don't like some of your customers, do you?. When you take a disliking to your customers, do you throw them to the sharks? :lol: You sound like a gringo, and your company cars have CA plates -- but you said you were a mexican biz. ?? How/why do you do transport in Mexico w/o mex vehicles and mexican drivers,... taxi and bus drivers in cities will eat you for lunch when they find out.

gonetobaja - 7-10-2008 at 07:41 AM

Good morning everyone!

:bounce:

A couple of quick points.

Diver,

I dont hate the Nomads, I have no hatred for anyone.
To me a tourist is someone that comes from another place and "visits" your place. They do not need to be "Gringos" If you saw how much trash after Semana Santa on the beach you would agree with me that there are people that visit places with respect, and those that feel that visiting a place gives them the right to trash it because the are going to leave in a couple of days. I dont appreciate those types of people no matter where they are from.

Fishbuck,

I read your article that you posted. I am speculating, but the person who wrote it may have been looking at writing some exciting travel information and went with the norm because that person had no insight as to what the deal really is. Can you imagine the reaciton of the editor if they would have wrote......

"Mexico is an economicaly depressed country. In some areas tourism is the sole income of a family. Try and pay more than they ask or the full price and you will be helping out a family that does not have the opportunity in the USA that you do. Paying the full price is honorable and the amount of extra money you spend is not really that much...."

As far as the idea that families are waiting for a "gringo" to save them, well I dont think so, but If help is offered in the form of good wages, prices, or a gift of thanks, not pity, it can be well recieved.

I dont just talk about this stuff guys. Here is a link to a spearfishing tournement that I have every year. This year we decided to use the procededs to pay for building materials for my partners house. My partner Naty has been helping out tourists by saving them for years. He has resuced moto bike guys with broken ribs from the hills, and fishermen from the sea. his thanks? sometimes the rescued person has no money and there is no reward for the fuel and time used. his thanks is knowing that he is a good person and can sleep at night. We decided to thank him for his help.

http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=65757&highlight=p...

This is the link so you guys understand I dont just talk about paying full price and helping out my friends, I really do it. This is not a bunch of words.

Try going over the top to help out a person that you know needs it. Short of loosing the extra dough, you will find that you can only gain. Take the look on the vendors face when you give him a 20 for a 15 dollar trinket home in your mind. When you go back (if you do) dont be surprised if the vendor remembers you and greets you with a smile.

Bringing down gifts of food, clothes, tools, etc is great, but you must remember just like your family, the baja families run into the same emergencies. Broken cars, medical bills, school fees, etc. can only be fixed with MONEY.

I can only do my small part to act and change what I can, but through this board the idea of helping out just a little more can be spread over a large area.

My dream?

A tourist goes camping on a beach somewhere, he first checks to see if its ok by the owner and gives him 15 bucks just because (I know the beach is free, but access is not). Then the camper spends a few great days on the beach, pays the campo security (the dude who lives in a shack trying to sell you firewood) 5 bucks for firewood. They leave with all of their trash in the back of their truck and head into town and get a few trinkes and pay the full price......Then in the border line they by a plaster spongebob and pay full price for that.

If everyone did that it would make a difference. 100,000 tourists or more per weekend in Baja. 10 bucks extra from each one would add up quick.

David K - 7-10-2008 at 07:52 AM

Dale, what's your take on using dollars in Baja... Some here on Nomad state very clearly that using dollars will either get you ripped off (because often the exchange rate is slightly favored for the vendor) or is disrespectful because it is Mexico and pesos are the national money???

I use dollars because I know it gives vendors a little extra (like a tip) and I see locals buying goods in small towns using dollars as much as pesos... so how disrespectful could it be?

Thanks for your posts on Nomad!

gonetobaja - 7-10-2008 at 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Dale, what's your take on using dollars in Baja... Some here on Nomad state very clearly that using dollars will either get you ripped off (because often the exchange rate is slightly favored for the vendor) or is disrespectful because it is Mexico and pesos are the national money???

I use dollars because I know it gives vendors a little extra (like a tip) and I see locals buying goods in small towns using dollars as much as pesos... so how disrespectful could it be?

Thanks for your posts on Nomad!

David,

It depends on your terms of "Ripped off"

As you know the peso is 10 to 1 or thereabouts. If a person is worried about getting shorted on the exchange rate that always changes then that person should take the extra time, and fuel to locate and exchange the currency for pesos. As far as disrespect goes, IMHO it is more disrespectfull to go over to the vendor who is sitting in the heat and try to grind them down off of 3 or 4 dollars of profit. From my experience no one cares how you pay as long as you do. The problem comes if you only have USA dollars and the vendor has no USA change. Then you go back to the 10 pesos to a dollar ratio. If you loose a few cents in the exchange, chalk it up to the vendor being a muilit currency taking entity. I have never had a vendor not take dollars. I have held up a 20 dollar bill and they shook their head "no" to me. I asked them what was the problem and they said that they could not take my money because they had no change in american money. When I told them I didnt care and that pesos for change was fine there was no problem.

If you think about it, the fact that a vendor will take both currencies is pretty cool. Try going to a mall in the USA and give them a 500 pesos bill.:?:

Calexico takes pesos though!:tumble:

My feeling is that the whole "dissrespect" thing stems from the frustration of the vendor who is trying to make a living. I can see the senario where a vendor has been haggled down on price to where he is making only a couple of bucks. Then his buyer pulls out dollars and then wants to make sure he gets the exact exchange rate he saw on the side of a building driving through the border. The poor vendor is now in a position to have to calculate another price according to the current exchange rate and deduct the "loss" out of his profit that is already low. He speaks very little english so he cant explain to the customer that the price was based on dollars and now that they want the exchange rate the price will be different. Rather than go through the hassle, the vendor looks at the tourist with dismay, hands him the money, takes his lumps and shakes his head as the buyer walks away....

"Whats wrong with that vendor Jerry?"

"Im not sure Norma, he seems to be a little peeed off when I wanted him to give me the proper change. I hope that guy realized he is dealing with a seasoned traveler, Im not gonna get ripped off"

"Maybe next time we should use pesos and he wont be so offended...."

"Yea, you gotta be carefull these street vendors will rip you off if you give them a chance...that guy was just mad that he couldnt screw me for the exchange difference, I tell ya Norma, you got to watch out for these guys. Good thing for us I know what Im doing..."

:lol:

David, I have seen your posts for years and you are one of the most respectfull baja travelers I know of. As you understand, respect comes in many forms, the least of which is payment types. If people are concerned about how they are treating or being percieved by the locals they should pay more attention to their actions up to the time of sale, not the actual payment.

shari - 7-10-2008 at 08:44 AM

David...using dollars is totally fine but just don't haggle over the exchange rate...I sure respect our visitors who just take it at 10-1 par....no diddling...no complaining...yes we'll take your dollars if you want but just don't whine about a few cents of exchange. This is the kind of thing Dale is trying to explain...it behooves people here how tourists arrive in big fancy rigs with bulging wallets and then cry over a few pennies of exchange or worse yet....spout off how they got RIPPED OFF...pallllleeeeeaaaassssseee! I am always so impressed when our clients tip someone or give a sida to a kid or the garbage man...tell the gas guy to keep the change...it makes me smile and does a world of good for the tourist "image" in our village. But I am always humiliated and embarrased when they try to barter for things....even is stores where prices are fixed...or whine that they got ripped off when actually they make a mistake on the money. The store here will change your $ for 10.30...higher exchange rate than the bank...so I always tell people if they want to haggle over exchange rate at other stores, gas, lodging, restaurants....just go change their money.
I also want to publically commend Dale for helping out his partner. Not everyone would do that...so he is putting his earned $ to a very good use. Bravo amigo.

David K - 7-10-2008 at 08:46 AM

Thank you Dale!

See you at Playa Escondida sometime!

Baja Angel has never been to the Puertecitos hot springs, so I will have to show her one of these trips to Shell Island and perhaps check out your place?

David K - 7-10-2008 at 08:52 AM

Shari, that's how I see it, too...

Nomads are going to Baja on a vacation!!! People in Baja that sell to Nomads are trying to earn a living!!!

If you are wealthy enough to take a vacation... have an RV... drive hundreds of miles from your home to enjoy a different place, then you CAN afford to use dollars at a 10:1 rate or leave a tip to the gas attendant, etc.

Shari, you know how Elizabeth and I travel and deal with the locals... We are there to enjoy ourselves and at the same time leave a positive memory... and through my trip reports and web page building, try and promote the cool places in Baja to visit!

fishbuck - 7-10-2008 at 11:55 AM

I posted the little article about bartering because I was curious of it's origin.
I believe it really is a mexican custom. But it is a thing that some "visitors" or "guests" in mexico find appealing. And fun.
If mexicans find it distasteful it certainly isn't documented. Except by Dale and Shari. Not true mexicans, sorry.
I used to feel like I was getting nickeled and dimed in Baja. But I don't worry about it as much now. I pay in both pesos and dollars and use my credit card too. But I probably buy less too. Esentials only.
I looked into exchanging dollars but with the little commission they get it doesn't save much and really isn't worth the time.
Dale, you must think all americans are rich. I wish that were true. I scrimp and save and work overtime to make my little trips. I stay in the cheapest place I can find that is tolerable and eat alot of 1 dollar tacos.
I look for the cheapest panga that will get me to the fish. No frills. And I like it that way too. Me, my fishing rod and a fish. That's all that really matters.
The alternative is no trip.
I can't afford to give money away. If you want my pesos you must earn them by providing me with a TANGABLE benefit. In the exchange I hope you are able to make a living. But that is your business. Mine is to get the best value for my dollar.
That is capitalism.
I never give money away. But if the little kid at the border entertains me with his juggleing act for a minute I give him some pesos. He earned it. And when his even littler buddy throws a single or two balls up in an attempt to juggle I give him a few. He learned by watching that if you work you get paid.
Nobody gives me free money.
So if you don't Like bartering that's fine. But if I don't go fishing with you and later you see me in the panga "JB WELD" catching fish maybe you will feel differently.
Consider it a form of silent bartering.
And for the record on my last trip I brought home all my trash except when I stay at a hotel I might throw some of the locally bought (beer cans) trash in the waste can in the room. But anything I bring across I bring home.
Tourists are people that ride big buses and go to museums and stuff.
But they way you say it Dale it sounds like a swear word. But if a drunk ahole peed all over my boat I might swear a little too.
Maybe since he paid $400/day he felt like he bought that boat so he could pee on it if he wanted to.

:lol:

DianaT - 7-10-2008 at 12:14 PM

It always baffles me when the subject of pricing and bartering in Mexico comes up. Maybe I am missing something, but it seems real simple to me.

Prices for like fishing---set prices for what services are offered---more services, higher the price. If the price is too high, customers will go elsewhere. Tips for good service always a good idea. Bartering --- yea, also a valid thing.

It is when things are expected and and not made clear where problems can happen, IMHO. While it may to others, mystery pricing does not make sense to me. Also, I would think one would be very careful about sliding scales---word gets out that certain gringos are charged more because it appears they have more money, it could be bad for anyone's business.

Price, of course depends on area, equipment, etc., but when it is set, if the service is NOT used, then it is overpriced.

Bartering---it just amazes me when someone says that Mexicans are offended by gringos who barter. Maybe it is a local thing. I know here we find extremely few times when we are inclined to barter. Even with the open market secundas---if we are quoted a price that is really out of line, we just walk away.

However, on the mainland, bartering is expected in MANY situations. We have also been told over and over again by Mexicans that when a gringo does not barter in those situations, the Mexican vendor just think they are stupid.

Now, with the peso getting stronger and the dollar falling, it may be that soon most gringos will jump at 10 to 1. :lol:

I wish everyone well with their Baja business ventures, but IMHO, the gringo bashing will keep some away.

Diane

Diver - 7-10-2008 at 12:38 PM

When our favorite vendor shows up at El Requeson as he has each day, every year we have been there, and he says " Today is a good day to buy. Today is so cheap it's almost free; tomorrow will cost more ! This blanket is $20 US but how much you want to pay ?"
Is he not inviting a conversation on price (barter) ?
He would think us stupid if we didn't barter.
He calls my wife the "tough one" but smiles when he leaves, every time she buys.
Since I first visited Mexico (Mazatlan) in the '60s, it has always been this way with the vendors.

Or Fransico, who runs the campground at El Requeson, who is always amazed that we remember his childrens' ages and ask about them and bring them gifts even though we rarely see them since they are old enough for school (they live in Mulege with mom).
When they closed Santispec and a pick-up load of pre-constructed palapa walls and roofs appeared at his door, he was thrilled and refused our money for camping for a week.
Bartering can be a really good thing for all; even the unspoken barter !

Now, if I go into a machanics shop in La Paz, I just ask the price and shop around for the best price for competent service; no bartering.
I guess it depends who you are dealing with and what the situation.

PS I always pick up my trash in Baja as I do elsewhere - gringo basher :P

Also, my normal "Baja" mindset does not allow me to concern myself with such small issues as the exchange rate on our usual purchases. I normally feel like everyone in Baja is part of my "good" feeling when I am there (and when I'm here) and the ALL deserve a tip !! :biggrin:
Thank you !

Cypress - 7-10-2008 at 01:52 PM

Don't know anyone that is in favor of leaving garbage all over the place.;DThat's a nasty habit!:)As far as giving $10 to $20 above and beyond the set price?:O Go for it!That'll put you in the rich and dumb gringo catagory.:spingrin:

Diver - 7-10-2008 at 08:08 PM

Not rich; not dumb; just generous and happy to be there ! :biggrin:

Who said $10 or $20 ??
I'm not talking Pemex fill-ups; I'm talking beach blankets and things.
Maybe a few dollars at most.

If that makes me "dumb" in your mind than so be it !!
But what does that say about you ?? :lol:

shari - 7-10-2008 at 08:55 PM

I don't think the concept of sliding scale is understood by all...at least MY idea of what sliding scale is. For example, a good pal like bajaboy is here at his home..he's been a very good friend for years...now if Juan wants to go out fishing with him...well, bboy pays for the gas and maybe some beer and it's all cool. We have set prices but if we choose to give a discount or lower the price or trade services for lures or gear, well, gosh...I think it's OK to do that...I do not mean up the price for rich gringos!!!! I mean maybe help out the less fortunate catch a fish....or rent a room for cheaper in exchange for some weeding or a painting whatever...it works for us and I dont think it's offensive or detrimental to our business. We LOVE our clients(usually) and try to make eveyone happy one way or another. We also think outside the box and like to be creative in our business practises.

fishbuck - 7-10-2008 at 09:47 PM

Quote:
I don't think the concept of sliding scale is understood by all...at least MY idea of what sliding scale is. For example, a good pal like bajaboy is here at his home..he's been a very good friend for years...now if Juan wants to go out fishing with him...well, bboy pays for the gas and maybe some beer and it's all cool. We have set prices but if we choose to give a discount or lower the price or trade services for lures or gear, well, gosh...I think it's OK to do that...I do not mean up the price for rich gringos!!!! I mean maybe help out the less fortunate catch a fish....or rent a room for cheaper in exchange for some weeding or a painting whatever...it works for us and I dont think it's offensive or detrimental to our business. We LOVE our clients(usually) and try to make eveyone happy one way or another. We also think outside the box and like to be creative in our business practises.

You guys are the best. Don't change a thing.
Anybody caught any yellows yet? Let's get the season rolling. :coolup:
Maybe I'll bring my new boat: http://www.rainforestboats.com.mx/sportfish2282.htm

Sliding scale:
$500/day for drunk "tourists" that pee all over the place.(limit 1)
$400/day if you plan to start drinking early (limit 3)
$300/ for the mildly obnoxious (limit 3)
$250/ for real fisherman (limit 2)
Jaun goes free! (He's driving and knows where the fish are plus $10-20 tip per angler)
I guess we are pushing pangas to 4 anglers now so the tip should be good.:cool:

Skeet/Loreto - 7-11-2008 at 03:36 AM

"FAITH, HOPE AND CHARITY!!

Will get you a LOng way in Baja or anywhere else !!

gonetobaja - 7-28-2008 at 03:45 PM

Here are the pics of the new boat!

its better than I ever wanted!

[/QUOTE]

capt. mike - 7-29-2008 at 06:30 AM

nice one Dale!

what about the blonde deck hand? does she go too?

i am ready to pop over, say when.
i'll be in El Socorrito in a couple of weeks.

4baja - 7-30-2008 at 08:04 PM

i read your post from the beginning and scrolled down to the end. your prices are too high and thats from many years comeing down. been fishing many years down there in that area and with the tortuava closeure its just not happening. have a place in bola and thou i have my own boat a super panga for a day is around 350 and load the boat up. its a little farther down but way better color water and better diveing. just my 2 cents.

rpleger - 7-30-2008 at 09:36 PM

I've read it all and ...good looking boat, good luck to you and if I'm ever in the neighborhood I would like to go fishing with you.

Ahhhh, the good old daze !

beercan - 7-31-2008 at 08:51 AM

I think that you are stuck in the past when gas was under $1.00 / gallon and Corona was less than $5.00/case.. I just got a quote for a new 4-stroke 250 hp .-- $28,000.00 installed.

The water and fishing around Puertecitos and south is great if you KNOW WHAT YOU"RE DOING!

Quote:
by 4baja
your prices are too high and thats from many years comeing down. been fishing many years down there in that area

Skeet/Loreto - 7-31-2008 at 06:33 PM

Great Boat! Good Luck>

Nothing Ventured is Nothing Gained!!

And here I set in Pauls Valley Oklahoma Noodling for Catfish>

Wish you guys could help me out. There are some 20 Lb"ers under the Banks.

Skeet/Loreto

gonetobaja - 8-4-2008 at 08:20 AM

Well, we have our first charters for this weekend. So far the response has been great! I fully understand how some of you may think that $400 per day is too much for a real fishing charter service. I have sat and listened to many people talk about how they can get a panga in cabo for $250 so they assume that if the spot is more remote it must be more depressed, therefore less expensive.

There is another type of person that goes fishing with our service though. They are called Mexicans. They live in towns like TJ, and Mexicali. These are the professionals in the towns. Doctors, Lawyers, Insurance agents, Govt employees. They have long used our services, even when our charter for the 30 ft sportfisher was $600 per day with 6 people. Now at $400 per day with 4 people we are just as busy.

Alot of the calls we get are from people that have their own boats and just dont want to spend the money to tow them down and back. I have a friend that spends 350 just in fuel for his truck to get there plus then fuel for his boat, then he has to drive, launch, trailer, etc. After that he hopes to find the fish areas and I tell him where to go. last time down he hit a whale shark and did over 2k worth of damage to his prop shaft and strut.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have a friend in town that runs a panga with a 1985 yamaha 60 two stroke. He has a 22ft regular panga with a VHF radio.......He charges $350 and has for the past two years.

I am also going to be renting out my Castle on the beach for $250 per night. I will post up some pics on another thread. This way if you want to come stay on the beach in a private place and have the boat pic you up in front the option is there.

Heading down this weekend and I will try and get some pics together.

Grouper time!!!

Bob, if you are down stop by and say hello.

capt. mike - 8-4-2008 at 03:21 PM

nice one Dale. find us some Whale sharks ok - but don't hit them.

i say $100 a day per person for guided fun is a bargain.

i'll be flying down soon, keep you posted.

might just be there ---

beercan - 8-6-2008 at 10:47 AM

waiting to hear from Chuck or if not, I will be there the following weekend--- what time are you launching ?
Quote:

Cardon Man - 8-6-2008 at 11:20 AM

Quote:
I have sat and listened to many people talk about how they can get a panga in cabo for $250 so they assume that if the spot is more remote it must be more depressed, therefore less expensive.

The $250 Cabo San Lucas pangas that I know of only fish from 7am to noon and generally don't ( or won't ) run very far to get on fish.

Bob - how do you........???

capt. mike - 8-6-2008 at 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by beercan
waiting to hear from Chuck or if not, I will be there the following weekend--- what time are you launching ?
Quote:

keep cool when you go to your place at Puertocitos this time of year?? curious is all.

say, did the 110v juice ever get switched on 24/7 at BOLA??
does Puertocitos have a town genset now? or each person has their own?

Mike ---have you heard of AC ???? Ha Ha !

beercan - 8-6-2008 at 01:19 PM

I have 24 hour power at my house ---complete solar !
Town has generator at nights only and it will not run AC.

gonetobaja - 8-6-2008 at 08:23 PM

Bob,

I am heading out in the morning for a 5 day trip. We will be launching in the morning and hitting the islands each day from friday thru sunday. Dead tide this week, hopefully flat seas and big fish.

I have a feeling that there will be alot of fillets made this weekend!

Dale

gonetobaja - 8-6-2008 at 08:25 PM

Mike,

I just dropped 300 bucks getting an A/C tech down to Puertecitos to get my A/C charged up! So much for the cost of things being cheaper in baja. 250 for the fix service and 50 bucks fuel charge for the drive.

I run a 8500 watt gen set for both of my A/C units.

Dale

David K - 8-6-2008 at 09:42 PM

Good thing there is A/C in Foenix, AZ for you Mike! Have you ever landed at PUERTECITOS? That runway is only half the size of Bahia Asuncion's! Of course it right there in the middle of the town!

capt. mike - 8-7-2008 at 06:10 AM

yes, i have landed at Puertocitos, 1st time in 1982 when we did a 10 day circum airnavigation of the whole peninsula landing only on dirt and camping out of my Mooney each night.

as far as baja dirt goes Puertocitos actually is long and generally well maintained (thx to Beercan Bob). if you can't handle 2000 ft as sea level you should not be flying.

the shortest one i used to do regularly was La Purisima to drop off for the Las Barrancas Flying Sams clinic. that one is 1700' and you MUST turn left sharply at wheels up to climb in a canyon!

Actually, Mike it is a bear --I've landed on better roads.

beercan - 8-7-2008 at 09:44 AM

It is soft and really sandy at the south 500 feet . .So you are down to about 1500 'of good usable strip.
Every year, I haul at least 2-4 wheelbarrows of fist sized rocks off the surface and that much more trash.

Quote:
By Mike
as far as baja dirt goes Puertocitos actually is long and generally well maintained (thx to Beercan Bob). if you can't handle 2000 ft as sea level you should not be flying.

capt. mike - 8-7-2008 at 03:46 PM

well sorry to hear that Bob but i would have talked to you 1st anyway before i jaunted in. but i can go in light i guess. the thing is i wanted to be closer to Dale's place for a pick up. otherwise it has to be San Felipe and i REALLY don't want to ride in a cage from SF to Dale's castle over that POS road!:saint:

1500 ft....ummm.........lemme think about that one.
nobody else flying in that would want it graded every once in awhile? who's paying the license fee, or is it expired? it was in a lot better shape years ago.
did you ever meet C and V from Lake Havasu ? had a rock casa on the beach 3-5 miles north of town there where they leased the dirt, they flew a C 172 Hawk XP and one day he landed to the north taxied to parking and promptly put the nose wheel into a ditch stiking the prop under med to high power! my mech who did the prop R&R in the field at Puertocitos told me it was as if he was trying to hop a wheelie over the ditch. can you believe that sh%^& ??:?:
they sold their place. i don't know if they still fly baja, used to see them at Serenidad about once a year.

I do it all the time --and my Bo isn't a great

beercan - 8-7-2008 at 06:12 PM

short field performer . She's a speed Baby !!! When I depart, I always try to be lighter --and when she gets to altitude is where she shines --. I used to depart almost grossed in my Lance, but no more.

What's the word on the work at San Felipe ?/ any good news ?
Let me know if you are headed down --I will try to go at the same time .

I wondered what happened to him --The 172 wasn't around this year.

beercan - 8-7-2008 at 06:18 PM

We only have about 5 regulars that fly in . The license ids up to date, I just got new socks last year and gonna get 2 new ones for this coming season. I am also going to pour more concrete for my pad. It is the one behind the Pemex. I can't believe that it has been over twenty years since I poured the original !

capt. mike - 8-8-2008 at 01:51 PM

well Bob if that place can't get some grading in i think i'll pass. i just don'y need the extra excitement these days. 1700 ft and some wind in the nose and i am OK, but 1500 ft and soft stuff is for tail draggers.

which brings me to this Q for Diver Dale -
what do you think about picking up at gonzaga? isn't it a lot closer than San Felipe?

or i meet you at SF on your way in from San Diego and do the ride with you.
only problem is getting the plane for any day shoots. we can work it out.

You're the Captain --

beercan - 8-8-2008 at 07:58 PM

What ever you're comfortable with Mike. As I mentioned, I do it all the time and there are at least 4 other regulars too.
The entire strip was regraded in May 2008 , but the rains have just washed in too much sand on the South end.

My ex-partner in our first two plane now flies a V35, and we have a 206 and another B-33 , a Navion and a Warrior that go in and out ! Mike and I have been flying to Puertecitos since 1980.

capt. mike - 8-9-2008 at 05:47 AM

yur right, i can do it. it was a piece of cake in my mooney.
keep us posted on any upcoming maintenance.

Skeet/Loreto - 8-10-2008 at 06:13 PM

Mike: You can solve your Problem with a good 170B. 1200 Ft into Pulpito all the Time, no Sweat!

Went Flying the other day in a !72 with the 180 Lyc. No constant Speed Prop.
Spent 1,7 Hours in the left seat, the Instructor told me he would sign me off the same day,

But Mike at 77 years old and double hearing Aids, it is just to damn Noisy!!
Even through the Doc gave me a current Medical, I have decided that it is time to let someone else do the Flying.

Maybe someday I will get that ride with you. Good Luck

capt. mike - 8-11-2008 at 06:19 AM

anytime yur ready Skeet! you did win the raffle remember.
glad to hear you're getting in some stick time.
the only reason i don't have a 170B is it would take me too dang long to get there! i am up for speed, so i go comanche fast! gotta get to mexico fast and gotta get home fast too.:bounce:

David K - 8-11-2008 at 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
-
what do you think about picking up at gonzaga? isn't it a lot closer than San Felipe?

Mike, Puertecitos is almost exactly halfway between San Felipe and Gonzaga Bay (50 miles either way... 45-55 by road). The islands are closer to Gonzaga, however...

bajalou - 8-11-2008 at 08:47 AM

And the road being paved from San Felipe to Puertecitos is a big incentive.

Yeah, but it's still a mesican road!!

beercan - 8-11-2008 at 03:13 PM

When I am goofing around, exploring, I don't mind 4 wheeling. But when I wanta be sittin on the front porch or fishin, I don't want to be driving !
45 minutes to San Felipe from Yuma , and then another 15 minutes to Puertecitos. Lou, when you have one of them --nuttin to do daze, call me and I will pick you up at the airport and we can see some country !!

Quote:
By Lou
And the road being paved from San Felipe to Puertecitos is a big incentive.

capt. mike - 8-12-2008 at 07:23 AM

right on Bob!! it's the only way to go.
time machines.

David K - 8-12-2008 at 08:24 AM

Mike... you do have one more airport option: El Vergel (at Hwy. Km. 35) is exactly halfway between San Felipe and Puertecitos... and the highway is all new paved road from there to Puertecitos. There is a police substation right there, too.

bajalou - 8-12-2008 at 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by beercan
Lou, when you have one of them --nuttin to do daze, call me and I will pick you up at the airport and we can see some country !!

I'd love to do that Bob. I'll be in contact when I get back down there this fall.

capt. mike - 8-12-2008 at 09:49 AM

DK - yes thx i know el vergel, the problem is that one is private, if you don't own a home there you cannot land without prior permission. and the owners do the maintenance pay for it themselves so they want it private. using it for landing and park is a no-no. plus it is way too short and under 1500 ft and no status reports avail.

i'll see if Dale wants to meet me at Gonzaga sometime or just get a ride with him from San Felipe. or do Puertocitos after Bob reports on fresh grading, ha!

fishbuck - 8-12-2008 at 09:58 AM

A while back I harshed on Dale's business. I apologise.
Dale's boat looks very cool. I guess I'll just need to work a little more overtime if I want to hang out with an and enjoy a classy operation like Dale's.
I hope Captn Mike can blaze the trail here and figure out the best way to fly in.
Looks like a great 1-2 trip for some quick fishing and diving.
The spearfishing look very good there!

i hate it when i mis spell "their"

capt. mike - 8-13-2008 at 07:52 AM

Bucky - 5 guys want to go to BOLA , they are from santa barbara.
i can't go and have only 3 seats extra but i mentiioned Tom at 1st flight has a 6 and he can find a pilot. do you want to take them? i have a number, they might lurk here.
i think they'd drive to Brown. their only other option is Baja Airventures and paying airtaxi rates. they DO NOT WANT to DRIVE!!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 8-13-2008 by capt. mike]

fishbuck - 8-13-2008 at 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
Bucky - 5 guys want to go to BOLA , they are from santa barbara.
i can't go and have only 3 seats extra but i mentiioned Tom at 1st flight has a 6 and he can find a pilot. do you want to take them? i have a number, they might lurk here.
i think they'd drive to Brown. their only other option is Baja Airventures and paying airtaxi rates. they DO NOT WANT to DRIVE!!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 8-13-2008 by capt. mike]

Sounds good Cap!

I'm checking with 1st Flight for aircraft availablity.
If you want to U2U me the number I'll call them with some possible dates.:yes:
Ya, the drive is torture.

(Looks like I'm not winning the spelling bee either)

[Edited on 8-13-2008 by fishbuck]

capt. mike - 8-13-2008 at 04:29 PM

u2u is on the way. name and ph #
if you make it get me some smoked Jurel from Beach bob, his is the best i have ever tasted!!
and lemme know the dates if it comes off i might just buzz down then hit mulege for a nite or two.