BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: New Fishing Service out of Puertecitos!
pascuale
Nomad

Mood: Lets fish!

[*] posted on 7-7-2008 at 04:15 PM
New Fishing Service out of Puertecitos!

Sounds Cool, I read this off the other fishing website!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gone to Baja Expeditions has added another service to its 5 day all inclusive trips. We have a BRAND NEW 23ft center console super panga with a BRAND NEW 115 suzuki 4 stroke. We will be getting delivery in Ensenada at the end of the month and the boat will be licenced, insured and registered with the port captian and ready for work by July 25th 2008. We are chartering the new panga for 400 per day for 4 fishermen. The price will get you to the Enchanted Islands for Grouper, yellowtail, etc. We will launch out of Puertecitos about 50 miles south of San Felipe.

We were qualified for this boat by the Mexican Gov entity SEMARNAP. We were given a large grant for the boat because of our record with good service to the tourist industry and our promotions of sport fishing and diving. This grant is part of an ongoing move by the Mex Gov to support legal and safe ECO-TOURISM companies that have demonstrated good work records and service. It took us 4 years to get to the top of the list.

This will be a very reliable boat that will give us all years of good service. If you would like to charter the boat for the day feel free to give me a PM. We are already booking days so Its best to book in advance so you dont end up down there and the boat is busy or Captain Naty is busy.

This will be my first ever BRAND NEW boat with a BRAND NEW outboard in my life!

Still dont have a name for her yet.....taking suggestions.....

GTB
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2008 at 12:38 AM
Wow what a nice deal!

Quote:
Originally posted by pascuale

Still dont have a name for her yet.....taking suggestions.....

Well, how's about "Baja Nomaids" :P:lol:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-8-2008 at 09:06 AM

Muchos felicidadez Pascuale...that is fantastic and I can imagine how excited you are! WE understand how difficult all the tramites are to license boats...whew...glad you made it through all that. Mi esposo Juan is trying to find out about these goverment programs we have heard about as we bought another panga and really need an engine. Any ideas if it's only in baja (norte)? We wish you all the success in the world and can't wait to see your first fishing report with fotos of your new "Nomaid"...love it.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 7-8-2008 at 10:52 AM

I have a suggestion for the name

"Way too expensive"

400/day? From Puertecitos? The enchanted islands? You mean like Bola? That's your closest yellowtail. That's like 150 miles.
This makes no sense.
The monthly payment on that boat can't be much more than $400.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2008 at 11:07 AM

The Enchanted Islands (Isla San Luis and El Muerto) are north of Gonzaga Bay. Not a long run from their base.

Ken

If you go to Google Earth and find these two islands north of Gonzaga you will see a blue dot on the coast right in the middle of the two. Just click the blue dot "Campo Miramar" and a nice photo showing the Islands (there are more than 2) will pop up.

[Edited on 7-8-2008 by tripledigitken]
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 7-8-2008 at 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
The Enchanted Islands (Isla San Luis and El Muerto) are north of Gonzaga Bay. Not a long run from their base.

Ken

Okay, I wasn't clear on that.
Isla Muerto is still atleast 20 miles and Isla San Luis is atleast 30 miles from Puertecitos
About a mile from the beach and well within tin or inflatable range from the road.
Will there be any fish on those islands?

Will there be any fish there?

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 7-8-2008 at 01:33 PM

if you consider what Dale Pearson www.gonetobaja.com has to go thru to get gas and supplies to there plus if he needs maintenance, his rate is not that far off , heck other super pangas are getting close to that on east cape. $400 4 guys - $180 one guy - what's the diff??
and its all about eco tourism too. his customers are mainly free divers, and he has a base close to the enchanted so you can stay there too.
call him about an all inclusive rate he'll negotiate with you on the boat i'll bet. you can't find a more enthusiastic hand to do baja with than Dale.

congtats Dale if you see this - and here's your boat's new name name - Diablo Rojo...as in the squid films you and Scott mmade on Discovey ch.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2008 at 02:24 PM

Hola Nomads!

Thanks Pascuale for putting this out there for me!

Isla El Muerto is 5 miles off shore. Huerfanito is about 1 mile. they both hold fish if you know where to look There are yellowtail at those islands during certain times of the year.

As far as the cost of $400 per day being too expensive, well, I have the price that low because I can book the boat every weekend with MEXICAN clients who appreciate how hard it is to get a reliable BRAND NEW craft to that area and to have the proper licenses and insurance.

The "road" if you want to call it that, to access areas close to the islands to launch a boat will do $400 dollars in damage to your trailer before you get it to the shore, then if you do go out in a little tin boat and get hit by the wind you get blown away and possibly swamped by 5ft whitecaps. Not that it always goes like that, only 70% of the time.

I one time went out in a panga that had the cylinder head re-fused together with JB weld, yep good ole JB weld.......20 miles out with no chance of rescue.....yep I hope it holds........$250 for the day..............JB weld............"hey amigo, do you have a RADIO in here somewhere?".........."I gotte radio but is at for the home, no prolem I fixe the enchen ver goood with the JB weldit".........

We will have the boat ready to work by July the 25th. After that the customers will let me know how my pricing is by how many trips I book.:smug:

If you are interested in taking her to the islands you can get me on my website for reservations or you can just go for it and try and find my Partner Naty in town. He lives on the east side of the runway. Channel 9 on VHF

If you go for it without reservations dont be mad if the boat is busy or Naty aint home.

By the way, there is gas in Puertecitos now but you guys probably already know that. The PEMEX has gas only.

Whats up Capt Mike? I need your plane later this month! Get with me!

Dale
GTB
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2008 at 04:12 PM

got the message Dale, ready to go, jes holler!

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-8-2008 at 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gonetobaja
Hola Nomads!

your website works really poorly with IE7. suggest you get rid of the intro, as clicking on "skip intro" crashes IE7. if i do get past the intro, then pics and text are all messed up.

are you a gringo-owned biz? or mex-owned?
gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2008 at 06:20 PM

We are a Mexican owned company. Sorry for the website troubles it is a PC , MAC thing I think. Not too great at computers, but I can find the fish!:lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-8-2008 at 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken

Ken

Okay, I wasn't clear on that.
Isla Muerto is still atleast 20 miles and Isla San Luis is atleast 30 miles from Puertecitos
About a mile from the beach and well within tin or inflatable range from the road.
Will there be any fish on those islands?

Will there be any fish there?

Here's a photo of some of the Enchanted Islands... the closest in El Huerfanito (The Little Orphan)... all by itself, away from the others!:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 7-8-2008 at 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gonetobaja
Hola Nomads!

Isla El Muerto is 5 miles off shore. Huerfanito is about 1 mile. they both hold fish if you know where to look There are yellowtail at those islands during certain times of the year.

As far as the cost of $400 per day being too expensive, well, I have the price that low because I can book the boat every weekend with MEXICAN clients who appreciate how hard it is to get a reliable BRAND NEW craft to that area and to have the proper licenses and insurance.

The "road" if you want to call it that, to access areas close to the islands to launch a boat will do $400 dollars in damage to your trailer before you get it to the shore, then if you do go out in a little tin boat and get hit by the wind you get blown away and possibly swamped by 5ft whitecaps. Not that it always goes like that, only 70% of the time.

I one time went out in a panga that had the cylinder head re-fused together with JB weld, yep good ole JB weld.......20 miles out with no chance of rescue.....yep I hope it holds........$250 for the day..............JB weld............"hey amigo, do you have a RADIO in here somewhere?".........."I gotte radio but is at for the home, no prolem I fixe the enchen ver goood with the JB weldit".........

We will have the boat ready to work by July the 25th. After that the customers will let me know how my pricing is by how many trips I book.:smug:

If you are interested in taking her to the islands you can get me on my website for reservations or you can just go for it and try and find my Partner Naty in town. He lives on the east side of the runway. Channel 9 on VHF

If you go for it without reservations dont be mad if the boat is busy or Naty aint home.

By the way, there is gas in Puertecitos now but you guys probably already know that. The PEMEX has gas only.

Whats up Capt Mike? I need your plane later this month! Get with me!

Dale
GTB

Hi Dale

Okay fair enough. But Guillermo in Bola only gets $350/day for his 6pack megapanga with tuna tower and head. The boat is about a year old with a big fourstroke on it.
350 is for the big island too. In the bay it's 300/day.
I fished a Diaz super panga by myself Sat. $150/day. It wasn't new but the fish didn't seem to mind. Neither did I. It was great.
But what ever the market will bear. Good fishing to you Sir!

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 7-8-2008 at 06:51 PM

Palmas De Cortez Fleet

BOAT TYPE
PRICE

23’ Super Deluxe Pangas
$250

28’ Cruiser
$385

28’ Deluxe Cruiser
$450

32’ Cruiser
$550

32’ Deluxe Cruiser
$660

Price includes: Mexican sales tax, ice, filleting & freezing.

Buena Vista Resort Fleet

BOAT TYPE
PRICE

23’ Super Panga
$260

26’-28’ Cruiser
$385

28’ Deluxe Cruiser
$450

29’-31 Deluxe Twin engine Cruiser
$510

Rancho Leonero Fleet

BOAT TYPE
PRICE

22’ Panga
$260

23’ Super Panga
$260

28’ Cruiser
$385

Martin Verdugo's Fleet "Los Barriles"

BOAT TYPE
PRICE

22’ Panga
$230

23’ Super Panga
$240

28’ Cruiser
$380

Price includes: Mexican sales tax, crew of two, fishing license, fishing tackles, filleting & freezing, ice, 24 drinks.

Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2008 at 08:15 PM

Thanks, Fishbuck-- good info:yes:

gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2008 at 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
Palmas De Cortez Fleet

BOAT TYPE
PRICE

23’ Super Deluxe Pangas
$250

28’ Cruiser
$385

28’ Deluxe Cruiser
$450

32’ Cruiser
$550

32’ Deluxe Cruiser
$660

Buena Vista Resort Fleet

BOAT TYPE
PRICE

23’ Super Panga
$260

26’-28’ Cruiser
$385

28’ Deluxe Cruiser
$450

29’-31 Deluxe Twin engine Cruiser
$510

Rancho Leonero Fleet

BOAT TYPE
PRICE

22’ Panga
$260

23’ Super Panga
$260

28’ Cruiser
$385

Martin Verdugo's Fleet "Los Barriles"

BOAT TYPE
PRICE

22’ Panga
$230

23’ Super Panga
$240

28’ Cruiser
$380

Price includes: Mexican sales tax, crew of two, fishing license, fishing tackles, filleting & freezing, ice, 24 drinks.

You are not the first person from the states to complain about paying a fair wage for a service in Baja. I have seen first hand how tourist will come down to baja and expect that people, because they are poor, to be desperate and do everything under the sun to please the tourists.

Its usually the tourist that want the lowest prices that want the most service, and who will say the most stuff if they dont get it. The same type of person that wants a 3 dollar discount on a 15 DOLLAR blanket. "Tell the senyor that I will give him 12...."

If you are trying to build a case on how our services are overpriced, do me a favor and do some research on licensed guide services between San Felipe and Gonzaga and tell me what you come up with. Other charters and their prices, hundreds of miles to the south of me are hardly relevant.

But like you said, whatever the market will bear......I guess my plans of getting rich doing fishing trips in baja are out the window.....:lol:
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 7-8-2008 at 08:55 PM

I did buy one of those blankets once. And I believe I did barter too. Isn't that the mexican way?
I haven't ever researched the prices for pangas in the area you described. Why would I bother? As far as I know the fishing isn't any good. And Puertecitos is a dump.
The market sets the price. What ever people are willing (or desparate) too pay is what the goods and services will cost.
I posted the prices from East Cape because another poster stated they were charging $400/day for a super panga. Not true.
In fact they charge less for a 28 foot cruiser than you are asking for your shiney new panga. A crusier is better than a panga anyday or anywhere.
As far as I can tell they are making plenty of money at those rates on the east cape. And the fishing there on a bad day is probably better than the best day at Puertecitos.
I fished at Los Muertos in May and paid $140 for a standard 22 foot panga with a fairly new 2 stroke evenrude. It was fine. And I caught fish too. Dorado, Rooster, Amberjack.
You got any of those species in Puertecitos?
A smart consumer spends their hard earned dollars where they can get the most bang for the buck. In fishing that is simply the most fish catching for the least money period!
Anything else is pure bullsh!t.
But good luck anyway.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 7-9-2008 at 03:01 AM

I'm going to try and be a little nicer to Dale.
I did research the Enchanted Islands in the archives of Mexfish. There are some fish there.
I found one report from private boaters in a 28ft skipjack. They did catch 2 dorado trolling outside the islands.
It was in August. When they went to a store in Gonzaga or somewhere there the thermometer read 132 degrees. The writer didn't think it was right and that it was really only 122 degrees.
The dodos were 20lb class. Nice fish. They also caught some yellowtail. But none bigger than 10lbs. Mostly much smaller. Smaller!?
Sierra mackerel where the other good game fish. Grouper were down in 1000 feet of water trying to stay cool.
That was really the only good report. There were many too.
Dale, sir, I admire you for living your dream. You've got balls.
But may I suggest that you should announce the grand opening of your sportfishing business with a more... um... cheaper price?
Say $200/day? And then build up a clientle and post a bunch of great photos of fish and your boat and smiling fisherman.
My friends Shari and Juan have posted some great photos. So good in fact that I drove the 500-600 miles just to fish there.
And when I meet them I wanted to hang out with them and fish with Juan every chance I can.
And if fish are around Juan will find them too.
We fished in a minipanga with three men and piled fish up in that thing.
It was some of the best purist fishing I have ever done.
So I don't know how you came up with your business model but it may be unrealistic.
Some people built a fancy boutique hotel. It's beautiful. They opened and the price was $400/night. I checked it today and it's now $200/night. Maybe this time next year it will be $100/night. The market will determine the price.
But please keep us informed. I may be wrong about this. If so I will buy a panda and open a sportfishing business there.
Do they make pangas with airconditioning.

:cool:

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2008 at 06:18 AM

$200 a day is not worth his time.

plus you get to party with Dale!

some experiences just cost more and can't be compared to any base line.

and yes - i was incorrect on the pangas at east cape. but factor your true cost just to to get there and then compare to a quick easy trip budget to Enchanted isles.
plus you can fly into puertocitos or san felipe and Dale will pick you up. Puertocitos is a dump but they have a well maintained strip that's easy at around 2500 ft. the party is futher south at the islands.
save the crummy drive for those that want to put up with it.

gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2008 at 08:08 AM

Fishbuck,

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my post. Any and all comments to me are welcome and appreciated.

The area where I fish is not very well known or fished.

I have been in business for 5 years now and we do mostly 5 day all inclusive trips. They cost 1,200 dollars per person and include transportation from San Diego and back as well as lodging, meals, and 3 days of fishing. I cant be on the water all of the time so we needed to change our services.

The new service is the per day charter of the Panga. The pricing may be different in the areas where you go because of the massive amount of tourists there. I know operators in those areas who take people out for 250 for 4 hours. The do 2 and sometimes 3 trips per day.

We leave at sunup and are off the water by 4pm. Our usual route is the 30 miles to the south to hit the islands and then back. So fuel can be an issue. In addition, there is no rescue or other commercial boats except for the shrimpers in my area and Sr. Tony Reyes. We keep a rescue boat at shore for us only. We also carry survival gear, water maker, and radio/rescue equipment for the saftey of the customers. Me and my partner speak english.

As far as fish, the only ones we dont have are Wahoo and Tuna. I have seen and caught every other type myself so I know they are there.

We are located 3 hours south of the Mexicali border and are within easy reach of weekend tourists that want to get away for a few days and not have to catch a jet to baja Sur.

Puertecitos is a dump? Well, I will talk to the people there and after we figure out how to get full time power and running water we will tackle other issues. I spend alot of time on the beach picking up trash left over by tourists who think that if they camp on the beach and leave a big ass bag of trash then it will somehow dissapear like magic.

I am often asked by people...."why dosent that guy clean up the plastic bags stuck on the cactus and stuff...." Little do they realize that "that guy" has no bathroom in his house and his problems of getting water and power are more pressing than keeping the hillside clean. There were lots of scrap metal guys who came into town and took most of the old cars, so that looks better, but for the most part......

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder......

FYI A proper Mexican company for fishing and diving charters costs over 7,000 per year in permits, licenses, taxes, and insurance. just to turn the key legal, as a foreigner in Mexico, I am compelled to follow ALL the rules and not try to fly under the radar for risk of loosing everything.

Here are some pics of the fish we get and the dump where I live:P

Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.