BajaNomad

Baja mechanic says strong gas smell not a problem, is it?

joel - 8-5-2008 at 07:54 AM

So I've got a 90 V6 SR5 down in southern Baja permanently in a small fishing/surfing town.

I have this thought that driving around with a gas leak is not such a great thing. Am I wrong?

It's developed a strong, more or less permanent gas smell. There may be times when I can't smell gas, but I can smell it at least many hours after the engine has been off.

I take it to the local mechanic who says that it's not a problem.

What are the possible causes for smelling gas? I checked under the hood and can't smell it up there, so it seems to be coming from under the chasis somewhere.

Diver - 8-5-2008 at 07:58 AM

I'd check for a leaking tank, leaking fill spout or the tube from the tank to the engine.

DENNIS - 8-5-2008 at 07:59 AM

I'd change mechanics.

Udo - 8-5-2008 at 08:01 AM

My 93 SR5 V6 was leaking at the fuel filter line coming from the gas tank. Changed the rubber line. All OK now.

David K - 8-5-2008 at 08:01 AM

Dennis is soooo right!:light:

thebajarunner - 8-5-2008 at 08:03 AM

Carry a couple of good fire extinguishers...

(actually, that is mandatory for any Baja traveler)

Woooosh - 8-5-2008 at 08:56 AM

I was sitting at a light once when I smelled gas. The engine started to sputter and I goosed the gas a little and it literally blew up. The heat was so strong I could feel it through the windshield glass. The other cars at the light scatterred quick. Seems I had a leak in a rubber gas line- so said the insurance company.

yup, get a better mechanic or get some marshmallows ready.

Cypress - 8-5-2008 at 10:14 AM

joel, Knew a guy once that actually sniffed gas fumes, got a buzz off of 'em.:o Careful, you might be getting addicted.:spingrin:

gnukid - 8-5-2008 at 10:17 AM

Gas smell in the vehicle is often due to gas leaking from the carb/intake if it has one. The black hoses can become dry and brittle in baja especially with sporadic use. You can replace the black gas hoses, some are recirculation hoses and check the gaskets for the carburation. Check all the sizes and purchase new ones for a refit.

Neal Johns - 8-5-2008 at 07:01 PM

A DesertExplorers.org friend had a gas smell (but under the hood) recently, and almost lost the 1980+ Toyota PU. He tried to get to Needles but an underhood fire started 12 miles before Needles and his one extinguisher did not do it.

Passersby stopped and helped get the fire out. Minor burns on arm and five days of work to replace a fuel pressure regulator under the manifold. I didn't even know they had one there.

Breath deep deep -- deep deep deep

Lee - 8-5-2008 at 07:09 PM

Maybe it's only up North where gas stations have posted near the pumps: CAUTION: BREATHING GAS FUMES CAN BE HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH!

If you've gotten use the the fumes, you're in big trouble.

jeans - 8-5-2008 at 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh
I was sitting at a light once when I smelled gas. The engine started to sputter and I goosed the gas a little and it literally blew up.

Now we know where the name Woooosh came from!:lol::lol:

bajamikey - 8-6-2008 at 01:28 PM

i'm with dennis......change mechanics

Barry A. - 8-6-2008 at 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeans
Quote:
I was sitting at a light once when I smelled gas. The engine started to sputter and I goosed the gas a little and it literally blew up.

Best laugh I have had this week----------thank you, Jeans.
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Barry

joel - 8-6-2008 at 04:39 PM

There's pressure in the gas tank still -- I hear the vacuum break when I open the gas cap. To my thinking that eliminates a leak in the tank, no?

Barry A. - 8-6-2008 at 04:42 PM

--------mean while, back on subject-----------I don't think that a "strong gasolene smell" is EVER good------------trace it down ASAP and correct that problem, no matter what anybody else says. Lots of good suggestions here on this thread. I may be just a loose or cracked fitting at the in-line filter, or something similar.

Be careful as most gas lines on modern vehicles are extremely high pressure, and can really spray gas when you mess with them.

Barry

mtgoat666 - 8-6-2008 at 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by joel
So I've got a 90 V6 SR5 down in southern Baja permanently in a small fishing/surfing town.

I have this thought that driving around with a gas leak is not such a great thing. Am I wrong?

It's developed a strong, more or less permanent gas smell. There may be times when I can't smell gas, but I can smell it at least many hours after the engine has been off.

I take it to the local mechanic who says that it's not a problem.

What are the possible causes for smelling gas? I checked under the hood and can't smell it up there, so it seems to be coming from under the chasis somewhere.

18 year old vehicle? smell gas? do you see old cracked hoses when you open hood? time to replace hoses -- you can easily buy a kit and replace all at same time.

Santiago - 8-6-2008 at 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
I may be just a loose or cracked fitting... or something similar.

Barry

No, I think a cracked fitting sums it up.:lol:

joel - 8-6-2008 at 05:40 PM

So I just took it over to the mechanic and we got under it on a ramp. We looked at all of the hoses and looked or touched all the connections and couldn't find anything. Interestingly, I didn't smell gas when I was underneath.

Is there any way it could be from the exhaust system?

The next step, if it persists, will be to insist that the mechanic takes it all apart, but he insists all the connections and hoses are fine. He's busy diving for abalone most days so hard to get him to do it....

TMW - 8-6-2008 at 05:41 PM

If you smell gas setting in the vehicle with the engine running it most likely is from the engine compartment. If it's a leak under the vehicle but behind the engine compartment you should be able to see a leak or where it runs off. Toyota clamps their lines pretty good so you will need to get under it with a good light and follow it from the gas tank forward. With the key on but engine not running you should have gas under pressure in the line. I'd be very careful looking around the engine with it running. If you need to I think you can get a dye to put in the gas tank to color it making it easier to trace. Also check the charcoal cannister for a broken gas hose or broken cannister.

I'm with others on here and get another mechanic.

TMW - 8-6-2008 at 05:44 PM

If it were in the exhaust you would know it real quick from the loud bang.

joel - 8-6-2008 at 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
If it were in the exhaust you would know it real quick from the loud bang.

Very funny.

joel - 8-10-2008 at 03:00 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've tried all of them, including the charcoal. The only thing I can narrow it down to is the driver side rear of the car (around the rear wheel). The only thing near there (the tank, filter, gas cap are on the other side) is the muffler.

I'm going to take it to another mechanic for a second opinion when he has time.

It seem the consensus is that it can't be the muffler, no? I was thinking that maybe there is too much fuel being injected so that some of it is not being burned off -- but then it should be backfiring.

David K - 8-10-2008 at 03:09 PM

Just thinking out loud here:

One thing to try, is replace the gas tank fill cap...

If the cap is not venting (creating built up pressure) ... or is venting too much... Either way you could smell gas.

Woooosh - 8-10-2008 at 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Quote:
Originally posted by jeans
Quote:

Best laugh I have had this week----------thank you, Jeans.
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Barry

me too!

Geronimo - 8-24-2008 at 08:32 PM

Woooosh,

I know this post is old, if you have already figured this out disregard. Yes it could be in the exhaust. I am not familiar with this motor, but in general the fuel pressure regulator is a good place to start. If applicable pull the vacuum hose and look for fuel, if it is there, replace. Next pull the plugs and look for fuel fouling on the plugs. Do you have a miss? How is the mileage? It could have a dead cylinder pushing unburnt fuel into the exahust. If the Cat is gone or not up to temp it will run out the tail pipe, if the cat is working it will burn up in the cat, you will smell gas but never see it.

Geronimo

thebajarunner - 8-24-2008 at 10:00 PM

Watch a NASCAR race,
every race you will see someone spin or crash, kill the engine and a very large lick of flame will come up off the exhaust pipes. (mind you, they don't have mufflers, and the exhaust exits from the headers directly out from under the passenger door)
That is the unburned fuel that has passed by the system, and the hot pipes ignite it.
Best way to snuff it , simply fire up the engine and it will blow out the flame.

But, that gas is getting burned up immediately while the motor is running, so you would not smell it unless the engine suddenly died.
IMO

joel - 8-25-2008 at 06:18 AM

Thanks again for all of the input. The gas smell has gone away on it's own -- really. I had several people check over weeks and they all smelled gas, then it was gone. The only thing that was done to the car that I can think would effect it was that the muffler wasn't fully connected and was re-attached about 10 days before the gas smell went away.