BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Baja mechanic says strong gas smell not a problem, is it?
joel
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2008 at 07:54 AM
Baja mechanic says strong gas smell not a problem, is it?

So I've got a 90 V6 SR5 down in southern Baja permanently in a small fishing/surfing town.

I have this thought that driving around with a gas leak is not such a great thing. Am I wrong?

It's developed a strong, more or less permanent gas smell. There may be times when I can't smell gas, but I can smell it at least many hours after the engine has been off.

I take it to the local mechanic who says that it's not a problem.

What are the possible causes for smelling gas? I checked under the hood and can't smell it up there, so it seems to be coming from under the chasis somewhere.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2008 at 07:58 AM

I'd check for a leaking tank, leaking fill spout or the tube from the tank to the engine.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2008 at 07:59 AM

I'd change mechanics.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 8-5-2008 at 08:01 AM

My 93 SR5 V6 was leaking at the fuel filter line coming from the gas tank. Changed the rubber line. All OK now.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-5-2008 at 08:01 AM

Dennis is soooo right!:light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-5-2008 at 08:03 AM

Carry a couple of good fire extinguishers...

(actually, that is mandatory for any Baja traveler)
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 8-5-2008 at 08:56 AM

I was sitting at a light once when I smelled gas. The engine started to sputter and I goosed the gas a little and it literally blew up. The heat was so strong I could feel it through the windshield glass. The other cars at the light scatterred quick. Seems I had a leak in a rubber gas line- so said the insurance company.

yup, get a better mechanic or get some marshmallows ready.

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-5-2008 at 10:14 AM

joel, Knew a guy once that actually sniffed gas fumes, got a buzz off of 'em.:o Careful, you might be getting addicted.:spingrin:
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2008 at 10:17 AM

Gas smell in the vehicle is often due to gas leaking from the carb/intake if it has one. The black hoses can become dry and brittle in baja especially with sporadic use. You can replace the black gas hoses, some are recirculation hoses and check the gaskets for the carburation. Check all the sizes and purchase new ones for a refit.
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 8-5-2008 at 07:01 PM

A DesertExplorers.org friend had a gas smell (but under the hood) recently, and almost lost the 1980+ Toyota PU. He tried to get to Needles but an underhood fire started 12 miles before Needles and his one extinguisher did not do it.

Passersby stopped and helped get the fire out. Minor burns on arm and five days of work to replace a fuel pressure regulator under the manifold. I didn't even know they had one there.

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2008 at 07:09 PM
Breath deep deep -- deep deep deep

Maybe it's only up North where gas stations have posted near the pumps: CAUTION: BREATHING GAS FUMES CAN BE HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH!

If you've gotten use the the fumes, you're in big trouble.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 8-5-2008 at 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh
I was sitting at a light once when I smelled gas. The engine started to sputter and I goosed the gas a little and it literally blew up.

Now we know where the name Woooosh came from!:lol::lol:

Mom always told me to be different - Now she says...Not THAT different
bajamikey
Nomad

Mood: baja with a cold pacifico

[*] posted on 8-6-2008 at 01:28 PM

i'm with dennis......change mechanics
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-6-2008 at 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeans
Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh
I was sitting at a light once when I smelled gas. The engine started to sputter and I goosed the gas a little and it literally blew up.

Now we know where the name Woooosh came from!:lol::lol:

Best laugh I have had this week----------thank you, Jeans.
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Barry
joel
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2008 at 04:39 PM

There's pressure in the gas tank still -- I hear the vacuum break when I open the gas cap. To my thinking that eliminates a leak in the tank, no?
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-6-2008 at 04:42 PM

--------mean while, back on subject-----------I don't think that a "strong gasolene smell" is EVER good------------trace it down ASAP and correct that problem, no matter what anybody else says. Lots of good suggestions here on this thread. I may be just a loose or cracked fitting at the in-line filter, or something similar.

Be careful as most gas lines on modern vehicles are extremely high pressure, and can really spray gas when you mess with them.

Barry
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-6-2008 at 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by joel
So I've got a 90 V6 SR5 down in southern Baja permanently in a small fishing/surfing town.

I have this thought that driving around with a gas leak is not such a great thing. Am I wrong?

It's developed a strong, more or less permanent gas smell. There may be times when I can't smell gas, but I can smell it at least many hours after the engine has been off.

I take it to the local mechanic who says that it's not a problem.

What are the possible causes for smelling gas? I checked under the hood and can't smell it up there, so it seems to be coming from under the chasis somewhere.

18 year old vehicle? smell gas? do you see old cracked hoses when you open hood? time to replace hoses -- you can easily buy a kit and replace all at same time.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2008 at 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
I may be just a loose or cracked fitting... or something similar.

Barry

No, I think a cracked fitting sums it up.:lol:

joel
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2008 at 05:40 PM

So I just took it over to the mechanic and we got under it on a ramp. We looked at all of the hoses and looked or touched all the connections and couldn't find anything. Interestingly, I didn't smell gas when I was underneath.

Is there any way it could be from the exhaust system?

The next step, if it persists, will be to insist that the mechanic takes it all apart, but he insists all the connections and hoses are fine. He's busy diving for abalone most days so hard to get him to do it....
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2008 at 05:41 PM

If you smell gas setting in the vehicle with the engine running it most likely is from the engine compartment. If it's a leak under the vehicle but behind the engine compartment you should be able to see a leak or where it runs off. Toyota clamps their lines pretty good so you will need to get under it with a good light and follow it from the gas tank forward. With the key on but engine not running you should have gas under pressure in the line. I'd be very careful looking around the engine with it running. If you need to I think you can get a dye to put in the gas tank to color it making it easier to trace. Also check the charcoal cannister for a broken gas hose or broken cannister.

I'm with others on here and get another mechanic.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.