BajaNomad

what's is this thing???

Bob and Susan - 8-22-2008 at 01:42 PM

we've had three of these visitors in the last two days...

are they dangerous???

they are about 2 inches long and FAST!!!

they scare me:o:o:o

thing1.jpg - 26kB

vandenberg - 8-22-2008 at 01:44 PM

Mutated bedbug:?::biggrin:

Osprey - 8-22-2008 at 01:44 PM

Wind spider.

CaboRon - 8-22-2008 at 01:45 PM

I would be scared too ...

woody with a view - 8-22-2008 at 01:46 PM

tell Susan not to worry, as long as she can outrun you... on the other hand it may be a new addition to the tempura, chinese style.:light:

Bob and Susan - 8-22-2008 at 01:48 PM

take a look
http://www.faunaimportuk.com/caresheets/cswindspider.htm

i think osprey got it...

thanks woodman :lol::lol:

BigWooo - 8-22-2008 at 02:42 PM

We ran into several while installing our drip system. They fell out of little tunnels into the trench. The helper I had was scared to death of them. I read they're harmless except the bite can be painful. I wear shoes now when digging.

BigWooo - 8-22-2008 at 02:45 PM

I knew there was something about these once before:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=27185#pid2645...

Bob and Susan - 8-22-2008 at 03:51 PM

two nights in a row...
watching tv in the dark...

and that MONSTER zooms by...

he got my attention:wow::wow:

docsmom - 8-22-2008 at 08:10 PM

I believe it's a wind scorpion. Not a scorpion and not poisonous. Just the nastiest looking thing ever and they fly like the wind. We had lots of them in the CA high desert and I drove my bug guy crazy 'till he brought his bug books over, spread them on the hood of his car and patiently educated me. :)
My recommended cure, get a cat!
:tumble::tumble::tumble:

fdt - 8-22-2008 at 08:41 PM

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=3608#pid25509

Bob and Susan - 8-23-2008 at 06:27 AM

actually i remember reading about this guy...
these info posts have been around since 2004...:lol:

but...

i never thought i'd be one of his "target victims"

man...
when you see those huge mandibles pinching at you...
WOW!!!:o:o

David K - 8-23-2008 at 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
we've had three of these visitors in the last two days...

are they dangerous???

they are about 2 inches long and FAST!!!

they scare me:o:o:o

I saw some at the mouth of El Cajon Canyon (west of San Felipe)... by the stream where is dropped under the desert sand...

From Taco de Baja (link by Ferna de Tijuana):

Deer killer

Also know as a Camel Spider in Iraq
or a Wind Scorpion in the US.
In Mexico they are called Matavenados - deer killer, deer slayer. They have what appears to be 10 leggs, huge jaws and are very ugly , hopefully the picture will attach. My mom found a 2" one in her sleeping bag in the San Pedro Martir, so they can aslo take cold weather too.

From the web:
Camel spiders (so named because, like camels, they can be found in sandy desert regions) grow to be moderately large (about a 5" leg span), they can move very quickly in comparison to other arthropods (a top speed of maybe 10 MPH); and they capture prey without the use of either venom or anesthetic. Camel spiders rely on speed, stealth, and the (non-venomous) bite of powerful jaws to feed on small prey such as other arthropods (e.g., scorpions, crickets, pillbugs), lizards, and possibly mice or birds. They use only three pairs of legs in running; the frontmost pair (called pedipalpa) is held aloft and used in a similar manner to the antennae of insects. Camel spiders shun the sun and generally hide during the day, coming out at night to do their hunting.

livencabo - 8-23-2008 at 10:23 AM

Despite the scarry speed at which they travel, often straight at you, they are apparently not as lethal as some of the truly venemous scorpions and spiders. The myth is that they travel in pairs. True or not I always searched for the second one if I saw one.
On more than one occasion, I saw 30 or so tiny ones emerging from nests. They look like super size black ants at that stage.
To avoid contact, shake out your clothes before you put them on, espectially your shoes and always remake your bed before getting in.
And yes, my two cats earned their keep controlling the critter population.

Desertsurfergal - 8-23-2008 at 02:11 PM

SUNSPIDER!!! We have them here in Lake Havasu City, AZ. They are fast and love to chase ya. They do bite.

Baja-Brit - 8-29-2008 at 04:09 AM

Have a look at this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7585914.stm

Nice! :o

As you were.

[Edited on 29-8-2008 by Baja-Brit]

Bob and Susan - 8-29-2008 at 05:45 AM

wow
if i knew they ate scorpions...new pets:saint::saint:

Acuity - 8-29-2008 at 06:48 AM

Are these not known as matevenados in Mexico (deer killers)?

Pappy Jon - 8-30-2008 at 06:55 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_spider

These are good guys. They eat insects like crickets. Unless you really want to get bit they are harmless to people. Just put it back outside where they can do their good work.

wakemall - 8-30-2008 at 07:56 PM

I did not see an answer that would make me happy........

wakemall - 8-31-2008 at 07:38 PM

They are called "boot stompers"!

Tbone - 8-18-2010 at 12:55 PM

I've seen them in BOLA while kicking back in chairs on the patio, they are really fast and scare the hell out of you but I haven't seen anyone hurt by them.

grace59 - 8-18-2010 at 05:28 PM

OMG...what an ugly creature! Hope I never meet up with one! I was sitting here looking at the picture and reading the description when my cat walked under my chair without my knowing he was there and brushed up against my let...scared the #%^% out of me!!! Then I jumped up and yelled and scared the #%^% out of him:lol::lol::lol: If you do get bit by one is a visit to the Dr. required? Ever hear of anyone being allergic to it's bite?

Bugman - 8-19-2010 at 09:22 AM

As ugly as these appear they are not dangerous (unless you are a small insect). They are called sun spiders (Solifugae) and are very good predators of other insects so it is good to have them around. They will not attack or bite people unless you try to pick them up. Even then they are not venomous so you might get a bit of a bite if you try to handle one but no lasting issues. You probably don't need a doctor after encountering one but for the bugaphobic perhaps a visit to the therapist might be beneficial :spingrin:

Chris