BajaNomad

Fishing TOO good in Asuncion!

shari - 9-30-2008 at 08:29 AM

Geez...great fishing is NOT good for business!!! A big group of guys came to Asuncion to see how the fishing was and booked 3 boats for 2 days. Well after the first day of reeling in fish one after another the whole day...they were trashed and could barely move the next day so only 1 boat of diehards went out. Good thing we have a resident masseuse!
They caught their limit of nice tuna and some dorado and yellowtail as well. One guy said "that's it, I'm selling all my fishing gear as I caught enough fish today to last me a lifetime!!!" :o
It's been a perfect week for fishing with pretty calm seas and only gentle afternoon breezes and excellent visibility.

Our shore fishing amigos have been happy hauling out lots of pacific croakers and yellowtail and big calico from the rocks at the point by our house.
Spearfisherman have also been very happy with thier yellowtail catches from san pablo.

Asuncion is a flurry of activity as today is the start of lobster season...finally!

DSC00590.JPG - 45kB

Paulina - 9-30-2008 at 08:38 AM

Shari,

One quick question, do you provide a freezer for these guys who catch so much fish, or do they just use their ice chests?

P<*)))>{

shari - 9-30-2008 at 09:01 AM

these are a couple of happy guys

DSC00581.JPG - 44kB

shari - 9-30-2008 at 09:04 AM

these guys brought and filled their own freezers!! We have freezer space available and big ice chests too but some bring their own freezers too....
by the way, we really want to buy one of those smallish freezers if anyone has one for sale.

DianaT - 9-30-2008 at 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
these guys brought and filled their own freezers!! We have freezer space available and big ice chests too but some bring their own freezers too....
by the way, we really want to buy one of those smallish freezers if anyone has one for sale.

Last time we visited Raul at the Rodriquez Bazaar in Vizcaino he had a few larger freezers, but he can get you any size you want.

One of the great things about Raul is if you order up something and he finds it and brings it back to his store, you are not obligated to buy it. If you look at it and don't like it, he sells it to someone else. He also gives you a 90 day warranty----the first washer we bought from him did not work and no problem, he exchanged it.

Diane

shari - 9-30-2008 at 09:18 AM

he had one but it was more expensive than a new one at Home Depot in Ensenada! but thanks anyway.

DianaT - 9-30-2008 at 09:23 AM

Quote:
he had one but it was more expensive than a new one at Home Depot in Ensenada! but thanks anyway.

Interesting, because that sure is not what we found and we looked at HD in Ensenada.

We could have bought a new one in the US for close to what we paid Raul, but then we would have needed to bring it down---easier not to. But his price was no where near what they want in Ensenada.

fdt - 9-30-2008 at 11:30 AM

Quote:

As a matter of fact we do have a Whirlpool upright freezer that we still use but really don't need. I bought it when I was selling cars and got paid once a month so we really stocked up on meat, poultry , etc. It is used of course, the door measures 29", height is 65.5", 29" thick and inside has freezer storage space of 19"X24"X55". How about Mil pesos OBO

fishbuck - 9-30-2008 at 09:58 PM

Since I can't get anyone to fly to Asuncion with me I posted on Bloodydecks for the first time to see if I can get anyone there.
But I'm not mad at you. We can still fly down there if you want!;D
Looks like Shari and Juan need a good strong fishbuck down there to help catch fish.:cool:

Bajaboy - 9-30-2008 at 10:18 PM

I'm flying down there on October 27...in my Tacoma.

Zac

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
Since I can't get anyone to fly to Asuncion with me I posted on Bloodydecks for the first time to see if I can get anyone there.
Looks like Shari and Juan need a good strong fishbuck down there to help catch fish.:cool:

fishbuck - 9-30-2008 at 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy

Zac

Quote:

Maybe I'll be flying in formation with you... in my ford!

Bajagypsy - 10-1-2008 at 05:47 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Zac

Quote:

I think one of you should "fly" by my house and pick me up!!!:lol:

Osprey - 10-1-2008 at 05:57 AM

Shari, not to point to any one post by you in the past but I was favorably impressed by some things you said about you're having fair and honest fishery regulators (and I remember some were strict) in your area for abs and lobster, etc. I don't remember you saying anything about your local regulators counting fish --- on this post you say your guests (and others) are catching TOO MUCH FISH. Are the fishermen staying with the 5 fish license limit? Are the fish cops there to check em? We have a new town fish cop here so we begin to wonder what's going on in other areas.

shari - 10-1-2008 at 07:36 AM

WE have a very nice fish cop here....our inspector is great and we respect him and the job he is doing. While we have never had our fish counted, it's always a possibility. Yes there has been increased enforcement in many areas which is a very positive thing in my opinion.

When I say they are catching too many fish....I refer to too many fish for the condition they are in...also they catch and release alot of fish and only kept the bigger ones. Also they can keep 5 fish of each species of which there are many species here. So what I mean is that the fishermen get really worn out reeling in fish after fish for several hours.
I just thought it rather ironic that people who want to fish for 3 days just pack it in after the first day of such great fishing!!! some becasue they have caught all the fish they wanted to keep and others because their bodies wont take the punishment! But certainly all our friends here are loving getting fish given to them....especially the tuna and dorado!

Osprey - 10-1-2008 at 07:44 AM

Shari, good to hear. Sounds very positive all the way around. Our guy here will have an easy time of it I think because all our private charter captains enforce the license limits of 10 fish per fisherman, 5 of any one species and only 2 dorado in the mix of 10.

fishbuck - 10-1-2008 at 05:16 PM

From Shari...

"So what I mean is that the fishermen get really worn out reeling in fish after fish for several hours."

From Fishbuck...

"Try me... ain't gonna happen!;D

fishbuck - 10-1-2008 at 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajagypsy
Quote:
Quote:

Zac

Quote:

I think one of you should "fly" by my house and pick me up!!!:lol:

Well, I don't know if there is an airport up there at the North Pole but if so jump on an airliner and fly to San Diego and I'll fly you down to B. Asuncion.
We can make it there by "happyhour';D

Osprey - 10-1-2008 at 05:30 PM

Fishbuck, Whoa Kimo Sabe! Reeling in fish, hour after hour means you're really a lightweight, the fish are huge and many, you're way over your 5 fish/species limit. We all love to fish. None of us want to cause over limit problems for ourselves, our fellow fishermen or our charter operators.

Lots of fishermen in/on this forum following the license limits and using common sense; still having a lot of fun in the sun fishing with friends. You wouldn't encourage wiping out the fishery, now would you?

fishbuck - 10-1-2008 at 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
Fishbuck, Whoa Kimo Sabe! Reeling in fish, hour after hour means you're really a lightweight, the fish are huge and many, you're way over your 5 fish/species limit. We all love to fish. None of us want to cause over limit problems for ourselves, our fellow fishermen or our charter operators.

Lots of fishermen in/on this forum following the license limits and using common sense; still having a lot of fun in the sun fishing with friends. You wouldn't encourage wiping out the fishery, now would you?

Well you can come along and I'll catch your limit too!:lol:

You know I'm just playing.

I usually like to keep two fish for myself but always try to fish for the boat limit and then share the fresh fish with as many people as possible.
I don't tire out when it comes to catching fish was my boast. That's all.

Osprey - 10-1-2008 at 05:52 PM

Well played

2-tie-dye-4 - 10-2-2008 at 06:54 AM

One must also figure in the throw backs and the "feeding the sea lions" into the tiredness factor. Even though you didn't get to keep the fish, you still fought it. I know, the one that got away from me was the biggest fish ever seen in Bahia Asuncion, it just got away before I got a picture, ya ya, I know, If you don't have a pic, I didn't do it!!!:lol:

Terry28 - 10-2-2008 at 04:56 PM

we are here now, and this place is everything it is rumored to be..have been eating donated fish every night (surfers not fishermen)...Unbelievabley nice host and people..we could not imagine meeting nicer folks...and what a friendly town....Shari even provided kids to rent and ride horses with our 14 yr old daughter....way cool.. on our way tomorrow to Mulege....kinda hate to leave.......

shari - 10-2-2008 at 05:23 PM

Ya know what's waaaaay cooool...is that our guests are the BOMB!!! Terry et al are awesome and it's been an honour to hang with them...excellent BBQ last night....Monica the teen unit is fantastic and a great boogie board partner...Lucas the little big man is outrageous and will be a baja boy all his life...all the parents are ridiculously cool......been a pleasure for sure and really look forward to their next visit.

mulegemichael - 10-2-2008 at 05:30 PM

shari....save some of those fish for us!...we'll be there in three weeks...right now on our way down with a truckload of hospital supplies and shoes for the locals...blew a intake manifold gasket in oroville, ca. and now sit in a motel awaiting repairs...funny the stuff that wants to make ya start drinking early in the day...can't wait to experience asuncion...mike and roz

2-tie-dye-4 - 10-2-2008 at 09:43 PM

I don't think Shari should save fish for 3 weeks, but maybe Juan can tell some of them to wait in the sea. But, if we get them hooked up with a freezer, then............
So glad to hear of med supplies headed down there. Anywhere in Baja would be appreciated to my knowledge. And shoes, well..duh, thank you. Hey Terry28, we hated to leave as well, so we extended!!!! Shari will find somewhere to put you. By the way, before we did Asuncion, Mullege was our favorite, and we still love it, just didn't make it back there this time. Do y'all ever hang out at El Candil? First time we were there, that was a very cool place, natives & ex-pats and down low. Second time, it changed, but we weren't around enough to make an opinion that time, cept they had really cool dogs behind the bar and my dog was there that time, as well.

bajabum - 10-3-2008 at 05:34 PM

Now thats what I wanted to hear Shari...perfect weather, calm seas, lobster season open and lotsa hungry fish close to shore! C-ya on Monday.