BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Fishing TOO good in Asuncion!
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-30-2008 at 08:29 AM
Fishing TOO good in Asuncion!

Geez...great fishing is NOT good for business!!! A big group of guys came to Asuncion to see how the fishing was and booked 3 boats for 2 days. Well after the first day of reeling in fish one after another the whole day...they were trashed and could barely move the next day so only 1 boat of diehards went out. Good thing we have a resident masseuse!
They caught their limit of nice tuna and some dorado and yellowtail as well. One guy said "that's it, I'm selling all my fishing gear as I caught enough fish today to last me a lifetime!!!" :o
It's been a perfect week for fishing with pretty calm seas and only gentle afternoon breezes and excellent visibility.

Our shore fishing amigos have been happy hauling out lots of pacific croakers and yellowtail and big calico from the rocks at the point by our house.
Spearfisherman have also been very happy with thier yellowtail catches from san pablo.

Asuncion is a flurry of activity as today is the start of lobster season...finally!

DSC00590.JPG - 45kB

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2008 at 08:38 AM

Shari,

One quick question, do you provide a freezer for these guys who catch so much fish, or do they just use their ice chests?

P<*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2008 at 09:01 AM

these are a couple of happy guys

DSC00581.JPG - 44kB

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2008 at 09:04 AM

these guys brought and filled their own freezers!! We have freezer space available and big ice chests too but some bring their own freezers too....
by the way, we really want to buy one of those smallish freezers if anyone has one for sale.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2008 at 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
these guys brought and filled their own freezers!! We have freezer space available and big ice chests too but some bring their own freezers too....
by the way, we really want to buy one of those smallish freezers if anyone has one for sale.

Last time we visited Raul at the Rodriquez Bazaar in Vizcaino he had a few larger freezers, but he can get you any size you want.

One of the great things about Raul is if you order up something and he finds it and brings it back to his store, you are not obligated to buy it. If you look at it and don't like it, he sells it to someone else. He also gives you a 90 day warranty----the first washer we bought from him did not work and no problem, he exchanged it.

Diane

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2008 at 09:18 AM

he had one but it was more expensive than a new one at Home Depot in Ensenada! but thanks anyway.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2008 at 09:23 AM

Quote:
he had one but it was more expensive than a new one at Home Depot in Ensenada! but thanks anyway.

Interesting, because that sure is not what we found and we looked at HD in Ensenada.

We could have bought a new one in the US for close to what we paid Raul, but then we would have needed to bring it down---easier not to. But his price was no where near what they want in Ensenada.

fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 9-30-2008 at 11:30 AM

Quote:

As a matter of fact we do have a Whirlpool upright freezer that we still use but really don't need. I bought it when I was selling cars and got paid once a month so we really stocked up on meat, poultry , etc. It is used of course, the door measures 29", height is 65.5", 29" thick and inside has freezer storage space of 19"X24"X55". How about Mil pesos OBO

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 9-30-2008 at 09:58 PM

Since I can't get anyone to fly to Asuncion with me I posted on Bloodydecks for the first time to see if I can get anyone there.
But I'm not mad at you. We can still fly down there if you want!;D
Looks like Shari and Juan need a good strong fishbuck down there to help catch fish.:cool:

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2008 at 10:18 PM

I'm flying down there on October 27...in my Tacoma.

Zac

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
Since I can't get anyone to fly to Asuncion with me I posted on Bloodydecks for the first time to see if I can get anyone there.
Looks like Shari and Juan need a good strong fishbuck down there to help catch fish.:cool:

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 9-30-2008 at 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy

Zac

Quote:

Maybe I'll be flying in formation with you... in my ford!

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 10-1-2008 at 05:47 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Zac

Quote:

I think one of you should "fly" by my house and pick me up!!!:lol:

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2008 at 05:57 AM

Shari, not to point to any one post by you in the past but I was favorably impressed by some things you said about you're having fair and honest fishery regulators (and I remember some were strict) in your area for abs and lobster, etc. I don't remember you saying anything about your local regulators counting fish --- on this post you say your guests (and others) are catching TOO MUCH FISH. Are the fishermen staying with the 5 fish license limit? Are the fish cops there to check em? We have a new town fish cop here so we begin to wonder what's going on in other areas.
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2008 at 07:36 AM

WE have a very nice fish cop here....our inspector is great and we respect him and the job he is doing. While we have never had our fish counted, it's always a possibility. Yes there has been increased enforcement in many areas which is a very positive thing in my opinion.

When I say they are catching too many fish....I refer to too many fish for the condition they are in...also they catch and release alot of fish and only kept the bigger ones. Also they can keep 5 fish of each species of which there are many species here. So what I mean is that the fishermen get really worn out reeling in fish after fish for several hours.
I just thought it rather ironic that people who want to fish for 3 days just pack it in after the first day of such great fishing!!! some becasue they have caught all the fish they wanted to keep and others because their bodies wont take the punishment! But certainly all our friends here are loving getting fish given to them....especially the tuna and dorado!

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2008 at 07:44 AM

Shari, good to hear. Sounds very positive all the way around. Our guy here will have an easy time of it I think because all our private charter captains enforce the license limits of 10 fish per fisherman, 5 of any one species and only 2 dorado in the mix of 10.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 10-1-2008 at 05:16 PM

From Shari...

"So what I mean is that the fishermen get really worn out reeling in fish after fish for several hours."

From Fishbuck...

"Try me... ain't gonna happen!;D

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 10-1-2008 at 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajagypsy
Quote:
Quote:

Zac

Quote:

I think one of you should "fly" by my house and pick me up!!!:lol:

Well, I don't know if there is an airport up there at the North Pole but if so jump on an airliner and fly to San Diego and I'll fly you down to B. Asuncion.
We can make it there by "happyhour';D

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2008 at 05:30 PM

Fishbuck, Whoa Kimo Sabe! Reeling in fish, hour after hour means you're really a lightweight, the fish are huge and many, you're way over your 5 fish/species limit. We all love to fish. None of us want to cause over limit problems for ourselves, our fellow fishermen or our charter operators.

Lots of fishermen in/on this forum following the license limits and using common sense; still having a lot of fun in the sun fishing with friends. You wouldn't encourage wiping out the fishery, now would you?
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 10-1-2008 at 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
Fishbuck, Whoa Kimo Sabe! Reeling in fish, hour after hour means you're really a lightweight, the fish are huge and many, you're way over your 5 fish/species limit. We all love to fish. None of us want to cause over limit problems for ourselves, our fellow fishermen or our charter operators.

Lots of fishermen in/on this forum following the license limits and using common sense; still having a lot of fun in the sun fishing with friends. You wouldn't encourage wiping out the fishery, now would you?

Well you can come along and I'll catch your limit too!:lol:

You know I'm just playing.

I usually like to keep two fish for myself but always try to fish for the boat limit and then share the fresh fish with as many people as possible.
I don't tire out when it comes to catching fish was my boast. That's all.

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2008 at 05:52 PM

Well played
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.