BajaNomad

Private Planes

Steve&Debby - 2-15-2009 at 12:39 PM

We are thinking of getting rid of our motorhome and getting a plane.We are looking for a house north of Gonzaga Bay.We live in Northen California and it is a day and a half to two day drive to Baja,It sure would be nice to make it in a few hours rather than days.
How many Nomads have planes and fly to Baja?
What would be a good starter plane to get?
My Grandfather had a Cessna 172.I was thinking a 172 with the 180hp engine ,any input?
How long would it take to fly from Sacramento area to Gonzaga Bay in a 172 with the 180hp engine?
Do we clear with customs in San Felipe?
Do we have to stop at the US border to clear customs also?

shari - 2-15-2009 at 12:44 PM

A nomad landing here yesterday after a lovely whale watch in san ignacio.
Planes are the way to go....we have lots of families fly in here and they arrive so happy and relaxed....go for it...if I had it to do again, I would definately get my pilots license and figure out some way to have a plane....join the website baja bush pilots for a wealth of info.

Ken Bondy - 2-15-2009 at 12:48 PM

Steve and Debby: 172 is a very nice airplane but I would seriously consider a 182. Much more powerful, better payload, faster. The 172 cruises at about 100 knots so I would estimate about 3.5 hours from Sacramento to Mexicali, an hour or so clearing in Mexicali, and then roughly another 2 hours to Gonzaga. So you could be there in about 6 hours. Yes you can clear in San Felipe but strongly suggest Mexicali. You want to clear as close to the border as possible to avoid flying in Mexico without papers. Yes on the way back you have to clear Mexican customs and also stop at a US airport of entry. Suggest Mexicali and Calexico.

osoflojo - 2-15-2009 at 12:53 PM

There are numerous Nomad pilots, I am sure they will chime in. You may also want to review the private aircraft forum elsewhere here in Nomad. Suerte.

172????

bajaguy - 2-15-2009 at 12:58 PM

I would consider something a little larger.....We always have more "stuff" to bring to Baja than we have room, especially with the dog.........

c-130.jpg - 3kB

fishbuck - 2-15-2009 at 01:07 PM

Catch an airliner from Sacramento to San Diego. I will fly you from San Diego to San Felipe in my Piper Cherokee 6. It will take about an hour. And yes clear customs at San Felipe.
Clear back into the US at Brown Field near Otay. Or Calexico.

If anyone wants to meet me in San Diego, I can fly you anywhere in Baja. A Cherokee 6 is very fast and can fly a long way.

fishbuck - 2-15-2009 at 01:16 PM

If you have a pilots license you can rent a good plane here.
You can rent a 172 or 182. But you can't rent the Cherokee 6. That's mine!

http://firstflightcorp.com

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve&;Debby
We are thinking of getting rid of our motorhome and getting a plane.We are looking for a house north of Gonzaga Bay.We live in Northen California and it is a day and a half to two day drive to Baja,It sure would be nice to make it in a few hours rather than days.
How many Nomads have planes and fly to Baja?
What would be a good starter plane to get?
My Grandfather had a Cessna 172.I was thinking a 172 with the 180hp engine ,any input?
How long would it take to fly from Sacramento area to Gonzaga Bay in a 172 with the 180hp engine?
Do we clear with customs in San Felipe?
Do we have to stop at the US border to clear customs also?

fishbuck - 2-15-2009 at 01:21 PM

Looks like a Cessna 210. Excellent Baja plane.
I prefer a Piper Lance or Saratoga.

Quote:
Originally posted by shari

A nomad landing here yesterday after a lovely whale watch in san ignacio.
Planes are the way to go....we have lots of families fly in here and they arrive so happy and relaxed....go for it...if I had it to do again, I would definately get my pilots license and figure out some way to have a plane....join the website baja bush pilots for a wealth of info.

Barry A. - 2-15-2009 at 01:24 PM

I'm with Ken Bondy on this one---------a 172 is just too "weak" in my opinion for Baja--------a 182, or larger is ideal. I am partial to the highwings, but any airplane with a decently powerful engine is ok.

Barry

PM me if you need some straight scoop--

beercan - 2-15-2009 at 01:25 PM

I have been flying to Mexico for 28 + years.

David K - 2-15-2009 at 01:26 PM

Steve, see my reply on the Santa Maria thread, too... regarding airports in Baja.

Nice photo at PUERTECITOS Beercan!

[Edited on 2-15-2009 by David K]

Don't see any doors or wheel wells

beercan - 2-15-2009 at 01:44 PM

must be a 206 --- probably the best all around plane for Mexico--unfortunately best target for the drug boys ! That model along with the 210 are the number one+ stolen planes .

The Pipers are excellent load haulers , but the Lance scares many people. I had one for 5 years and never had a real problem with it . I would recommend it if you are an above average pilot.

Quote:
by fishbuck
Looks like a Cessna 210. Excellent Baja plane. I prefer a Piper Lance or Saratoga.

fishbuck - 2-15-2009 at 01:49 PM

Bonanza A36? How fast and how much will it carry full fuel?
The Piper is 84 gal and 1100 pounds at 16 gph and 168mph.

Quote:
Originally posted by beercan
I have been flying to Mexico for 28 + years.

Skeet/Loreto - 2-15-2009 at 02:24 PM

Steve and Debie;
It is a very good start to Post your request on this Nomad Board. I started flying into Baja in October 1967 in a Cessna 172. Flew a 182, 172 with Lyd. 180 and constant Speed Prop, 182 long range tanks, Beech a 35.

My favorite and best aircraft was the Cessna 170B.
I put many hours on a 172 until one day coming out of Catavina with a full Load I was on the ragged Edge for several minutes, vowed at that time nver to come back in a 172!

It depends as if you want to use you aircraft as a two peron plane going to and from Baja loaded with your goodies- Cessna 172 is o.k

If you want to take a larger load then I like the Cessna 182.

If you want a two person -Short filed Aircraft then the Cessna 170B is a beauty.

Now you will notice that i exclude the Low-wing Aircraft. During my years in Baja I was also doing Aviation Accident Investigation-some of which occurred in Baja- My experience showed that many times the Aircraft involved where Retractable Gear Light aircraft. Lots of Gear problems, Prop dings etc..
Just for speed the low wing well probly be a little faster.
For short field the High wing is Better{I beleive}.Just remember you can do a lot of Adventure around baja after you get there and there are a few good small strips left open.

Contact the BBP and all sources of information and lots of good Luck

Skeet/Loreto
1967 to 2001

Mine is a modified A-36

beercan - 2-15-2009 at 02:38 PM

74 gallons, yes will haul full fuel , 1350# useful load, and cruises at 180-185 KNOTS ! Some will argue , but read my first statement--and I have the tests and paperwork to prove it ! I am fairly familar with Pipers, having owned a '74 6 and a 78 T-Lance .I have about 2000 total Piper hours .

Quote:
by fishbuck
Bonanza A36? How fast and how much will it carry full fuel? The Piper is 84 gal and 1100 pounds at 16 gph and 168mph

dtbushpilot - 2-15-2009 at 02:53 PM

Hard to beat a Cessna 180. It will haul about anything you can get in the door, not picky about CG issues and can take off and land in places that you shouldn't. Lots of prop clearance and a very rugged plane. Tail wheel planes are a bit tricky to drive though. For a new pilot a 182 would be my recomendation. You will probably be learning in a 172 or similar plane so the transition will be minimal.

I wouldn't chose a low wing plane for Baja. Just my opinion and I'm sure that all of the low wing guys will differ.......dt

This is my plane in Asuncion about a month ago....

airmech - 2-15-2009 at 09:32 PM

Cessna's are very nice planes...the thiefs in Baja prefer them. A 182 was stolen from Bay of La last week. I know of an instance where fuel was taken from a low wing (Cherokee 6) and put into a Cessna 180 to try to steal it. I've even taken my prop lock off and loaned it overnight to a Cessna driver so he'd have a chance of an airplane in the morning. Over 100 Cessna airplanes were recovered on the mainland from a theft ring last year. bg

buying an airplane is easy

Stickers - 2-15-2009 at 10:04 PM

Steve and Debby, first you must become a licensed and proficient pilot to fly safely to Mexico. You could then rent a plane or participate in a flying club or partnership to have a plane available to fly down to Mexico.

Since I started flying 27 years ago I have not once driven to Mexico. I will rent a car after flying down if necessary although flying directly into your destination is the best.

Picture is us arriving in my Grumman Tiger (useful load 1000lbs) at Punta San Francisquito two years ago

PICT1114 (3) (Small).JPG - 40kB

LancairDriver - 2-15-2009 at 10:12 PM

My vote for a good all around Baja airplane would also be for the Cessna 182. It is a good hauler with fair speed. I have owned a Cessna 172, a good airplane but slow, also a Cessna 210 and presently own a Lancair 4P, which is a single engine low wing pressurized 4 seat airplane. It is a fast 260 knot or 300mph plus airplane and I use it to get there faster because I have farther to go from Oregon to get to Baja. 2hr 40 min Oregon to Mexicali, and 1hr 40 min Mexicali to Mulege on 18 gallons per hour. It is not a good rough field airplane so I miss out on many Baja strips that I can't get into. Every airplane has a mission it does best and you need to fit your preferred mission to the best airplane. For Baja the 182 is a good all around fit. Ken Bondy gave you some very good input on the flying time you can expect from Sacramento with a 182. Insurance and maintenance on a 182 is also very competitive.
Good luck on your airplane selection.

Barry A. - 2-15-2009 at 10:57 PM

You might want to go into the "search" function of this board and plug in "Cessna 182 for sale"----------that will provide the thread that discusses a 182 for sale in Brawley, CA.

Barry

Eugenio - 2-16-2009 at 11:38 AM

Steve&;Debby - just curious - years ago (many) when I was about 10 there used to be a grower from Colusa who would fly down to Los Mochis Sinaloa - Paul Westfall - the family's fairly well known there in Colusa. He would come down in his plane. His family owned almond orchards near the airport there in Colusa. Later married a mexican lady and moved to Guadalajara - ever hear of them? Just wondering - haven't heard anything for years.

drifter - 2-16-2009 at 01:14 PM

I would never recommend buying an airplane prior to renting for an extended period of time. The choice of which airplane to buy should be waaaayyyyy down the road.

Vince - 2-16-2009 at 03:50 PM

Steve and Debby-By the time you sell your motorhome and get your license to fly, you'll have it all figured out on which plane to get. As you see, renting first is the way to go. Joining a flying club is great, but many will not allow you to take their planes to Mexico, so most end up buying a suitable plane. I have been flying there a long time, the two best and most practical aircraft I have flown to Baja are the Cherokee 6 and the Cessna 182. We all seem to agree on that. The standard 172 is just not powerful enough, the 180 hp 172 seems to be, but doesn't have the range. If you have 3 kids, the Cherokee 6 is the best. You will love flying in Baja after you get proficient at home.

capt. mike - 2-17-2009 at 01:18 PM

yeah.....what they said.

join the BBP and LEARN all you can from that resource. and support their lobby efforts - who here is up on the new eAPIS system from DHS and CBP going into effect May 18th? and who here is up on the 406 Mhz ELT required for all planes in baja/mexico after July 9th?

get a plane you can afford to keep! it doesn't matter which one - they all like baja.

and go make it happen. yes the drive is a bee yatch if you do not have time on your side.
i like having a time machine working for me. When i can afford to sit down in baja 1/2 the year i'll drive it.

my baja rides have included over the last 30 years:
cherokee 180s - 3 diff ones
C 172s and 172 Hawk XP 195 HP
C 177s 180 HP w/ cs prop
Mooney 200 HP
comanche 250s - 2 diff ones.

never pranged one yet.....

left planes in mexico and baja 3 times due to mech problems and had to go get 'em later. Part of the deal. nothing easy but all can be fun.

Do IT and have the time of your life - get up above the crowd and go 1st class.
you'll be hooked - guaranteed.

want to try it as a right seater? - give me a shout, try me out on it.
hop SW air to PHX cheap advance tickets early morning and go from Phx. i'll have you on the beach by noon same day.