Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Private Planes
Steve&Debby
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2009 at 12:39 PM
Private Planes

We are thinking of getting rid of our motorhome and getting a plane.We are looking for a house north of Gonzaga Bay.We live in Northen California and it is a day and a half to two day drive to Baja,It sure would be nice to make it in a few hours rather than days.
How many Nomads have planes and fly to Baja?
What would be a good starter plane to get?
My Grandfather had a Cessna 172.I was thinking a 172 with the 180hp engine ,any input?
How long would it take to fly from Sacramento area to Gonzaga Bay in a 172 with the 180hp engine?
Do we clear with customs in San Felipe?
Do we have to stop at the US border to clear customs also?
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 2-15-2009 at 12:44 PM

A nomad landing here yesterday after a lovely whale watch in san ignacio.
Planes are the way to go....we have lots of families fly in here and they arrive so happy and relaxed....go for it...if I had it to do again, I would definately get my pilots license and figure out some way to have a plane....join the website baja bush pilots for a wealth of info.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 2-15-2009 at 12:48 PM

Steve and Debby: 172 is a very nice airplane but I would seriously consider a 182. Much more powerful, better payload, faster. The 172 cruises at about 100 knots so I would estimate about 3.5 hours from Sacramento to Mexicali, an hour or so clearing in Mexicali, and then roughly another 2 hours to Gonzaga. So you could be there in about 6 hours. Yes you can clear in San Felipe but strongly suggest Mexicali. You want to clear as close to the border as possible to avoid flying in Mexico without papers. Yes on the way back you have to clear Mexican customs and also stop at a US airport of entry. Suggest Mexicali and Calexico.

carpe diem!
osoflojo
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2009 at 12:53 PM

There are numerous Nomad pilots, I am sure they will chime in. You may also want to review the private aircraft forum elsewhere here in Nomad. Suerte.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 2-15-2009 at 12:58 PM
172????

I would consider something a little larger.....We always have more "stuff" to bring to Baja than we have room, especially with the dog.........

c-130.jpg - 3kB

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 2-15-2009 at 01:07 PM

Catch an airliner from Sacramento to San Diego. I will fly you from San Diego to San Felipe in my Piper Cherokee 6. It will take about an hour. And yes clear customs at San Felipe.
Clear back into the US at Brown Field near Otay. Or Calexico.

If anyone wants to meet me in San Diego, I can fly you anywhere in Baja. A Cherokee 6 is very fast and can fly a long way.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 2-15-2009 at 01:16 PM

If you have a pilots license you can rent a good plane here.
You can rent a 172 or 182. But you can't rent the Cherokee 6. That's mine!

http://firstflightcorp.com

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve&;Debby
We are thinking of getting rid of our motorhome and getting a plane.We are looking for a house north of Gonzaga Bay.We live in Northen California and it is a day and a half to two day drive to Baja,It sure would be nice to make it in a few hours rather than days.
How many Nomads have planes and fly to Baja?
What would be a good starter plane to get?
My Grandfather had a Cessna 172.I was thinking a 172 with the 180hp engine ,any input?
How long would it take to fly from Sacramento area to Gonzaga Bay in a 172 with the 180hp engine?
Do we clear with customs in San Felipe?
Do we have to stop at the US border to clear customs also?

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 2-15-2009 at 01:21 PM

Looks like a Cessna 210. Excellent Baja plane.
I prefer a Piper Lance or Saratoga.

Quote:
Originally posted by shari

A nomad landing here yesterday after a lovely whale watch in san ignacio.
Planes are the way to go....we have lots of families fly in here and they arrive so happy and relaxed....go for it...if I had it to do again, I would definately get my pilots license and figure out some way to have a plane....join the website baja bush pilots for a wealth of info.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 2-15-2009 at 01:24 PM

I'm with Ken Bondy on this one---------a 172 is just too "weak" in my opinion for Baja--------a 182, or larger is ideal. I am partial to the highwings, but any airplane with a decently powerful engine is ok.

Barry
beercan
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy to be in Baja

[*] posted on 2-15-2009 at 01:25 PM
PM me if you need some straight scoop--

I have been flying to Mexico for 28 + years.

* libs, all about choice until you choose different
* B. Hussein Obama - an Empty Suit for Empty Minds.
* Annoy a liberal - Work hard and be happy!
* Arguing facts & truth to libs is like bringing a warm smile to a gun fight.
* Lets win the War on Terror
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-15-2009 at 01:26 PM

Steve, see my reply on the Santa Maria thread, too... regarding airports in Baja.

Nice photo at PUERTECITOS Beercan!

[Edited on 2-15-2009 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

beercan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2009 at 01:44 PM
Don't see any doors or wheel wells

must be a 206 --- probably the best all around plane for Mexico--unfortunately best target for the drug boys ! That model along with the 210 are the number one+ stolen planes .

The Pipers are excellent load haulers , but the Lance scares many people. I had one for 5 years and never had a real problem with it . I would recommend it if you are an above average pilot.

Quote:
by fishbuck
Looks like a Cessna 210. Excellent Baja plane. I prefer a Piper Lance or Saratoga.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 2-15-2009 at 01:49 PM

Bonanza A36? How fast and how much will it carry full fuel?
The Piper is 84 gal and 1100 pounds at 16 gph and 168mph.

Quote:
Originally posted by beercan
I have been flying to Mexico for 28 + years.

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2009 at 02:24 PM

Steve and Debie;
It is a very good start to Post your request on this Nomad Board. I started flying into Baja in October 1967 in a Cessna 172. Flew a 182, 172 with Lyd. 180 and constant Speed Prop, 182 long range tanks, Beech a 35.

My favorite and best aircraft was the Cessna 170B.
I put many hours on a 172 until one day coming out of Catavina with a full Load I was on the ragged Edge for several minutes, vowed at that time nver to come back in a 172!

It depends as if you want to use you aircraft as a two peron plane going to and from Baja loaded with your goodies- Cessna 172 is o.k

If you want to take a larger load then I like the Cessna 182.

If you want a two person -Short filed Aircraft then the Cessna 170B is a beauty.

Now you will notice that i exclude the Low-wing Aircraft. During my years in Baja I was also doing Aviation Accident Investigation-some of which occurred in Baja- My experience showed that many times the Aircraft involved where Retractable Gear Light aircraft. Lots of Gear problems, Prop dings etc..
Just for speed the low wing well probly be a little faster.
For short field the High wing is Better{I beleive}.Just remember you can do a lot of Adventure around baja after you get there and there are a few good small strips left open.

Contact the BBP and all sources of information and lots of good Luck

Skeet/Loreto
1967 to 2001
beercan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2009 at 02:38 PM
Mine is a modified A-36

74 gallons, yes will haul full fuel , 1350# useful load, and cruises at 180-185 KNOTS ! Some will argue , but read my first statement--and I have the tests and paperwork to prove it ! I am fairly familar with Pipers, having owned a '74 6 and a 78 T-Lance .I have about 2000 total Piper hours .

Quote:
by fishbuck
Bonanza A36? How fast and how much will it carry full fuel? The Piper is 84 gal and 1100 pounds at 16 gph and 168mph

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 2-15-2009 at 02:53 PM

Hard to beat a Cessna 180. It will haul about anything you can get in the door, not picky about CG issues and can take off and land in places that you shouldn't. Lots of prop clearance and a very rugged plane. Tail wheel planes are a bit tricky to drive though. For a new pilot a 182 would be my recomendation. You will probably be learning in a 172 or similar plane so the transition will be minimal.

I wouldn't chose a low wing plane for Baja. Just my opinion and I'm sure that all of the low wing guys will differ.......dt

This is my plane in Asuncion about a month ago....

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
airmech
Nomad

Mood: Expeditionary

[*] posted on 2-15-2009 at 09:32 PM

Cessna's are very nice planes...the thiefs in Baja prefer them. A 182 was stolen from Bay of La last week. I know of an instance where fuel was taken from a low wing (Cherokee 6) and put into a Cessna 180 to try to steal it. I've even taken my prop lock off and loaned it overnight to a Cessna driver so he'd have a chance of an airplane in the morning. Over 100 Cessna airplanes were recovered on the mainland from a theft ring last year. bg

Both optimists and pessimists contribute to the society. The optimist invents the aeroplane, the pessimist the parachute.

— George Bernard Shaw
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2009 at 10:04 PM
buying an airplane is easy

Steve and Debby, first you must become a licensed and proficient pilot to fly safely to Mexico. You could then rent a plane or participate in a flying club or partnership to have a plane available to fly down to Mexico.

Since I started flying 27 years ago I have not once driven to Mexico. I will rent a car after flying down if necessary although flying directly into your destination is the best.

Picture is us arriving in my Grumman Tiger (useful load 1000lbs) at Punta San Francisquito two years ago

PICT1114 (3) (Small).JPG - 40kB
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2009 at 10:12 PM

My vote for a good all around Baja airplane would also be for the Cessna 182. It is a good hauler with fair speed. I have owned a Cessna 172, a good airplane but slow, also a Cessna 210 and presently own a Lancair 4P, which is a single engine low wing pressurized 4 seat airplane. It is a fast 260 knot or 300mph plus airplane and I use it to get there faster because I have farther to go from Oregon to get to Baja. 2hr 40 min Oregon to Mexicali, and 1hr 40 min Mexicali to Mulege on 18 gallons per hour. It is not a good rough field airplane so I miss out on many Baja strips that I can't get into. Every airplane has a mission it does best and you need to fit your preferred mission to the best airplane. For Baja the 182 is a good all around fit. Ken Bondy gave you some very good input on the flying time you can expect from Sacramento with a 182. Insurance and maintenance on a 182 is also very competitive.
Good luck on your airplane selection.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 2-15-2009 at 10:57 PM

You might want to go into the "search" function of this board and plug in "Cessna 182 for sale"----------that will provide the thread that discusses a 182 for sale in Brawley, CA.

Barry
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.