BajaNomad

Mike's Mountain

McNulty - 4-24-2009 at 03:43 PM

Here are some photos from my last trip down south during Easter-- We Hiked up to the peak of the mountain behind town in Bahia de Los Angeles. I’m told its called Mike's Mountain, anybody know other names for it?

I made a Gigapan of the view from the top as well-- (Requires a decent Internet connection to view... Just FYI) http://gigapan.org/viewGigapan.php?auth=cb84e2bddae0da7ef3b3...

View from the top.

about 1/2 way up.

Town.

[Edited on 4-29-2009 by McNulty]

David K - 4-24-2009 at 04:07 PM

Wonderful views! We all know it as Mike's Mountain, as well... The topo map calls it Cerro Santa Ana

Please post any more you have...

Here it is from below... about 2 miles south of Bahia de los Angeles:

and a zoom in of the peak:

Is the cave on top still stocked?

[Edited on 4-24-2009 by David K]

McNulty - 4-24-2009 at 05:25 PM

here's the view from lower on the mountain, the view was actually clearer down here. Once we got to the top everything below was quiet hazy.

Up near the peak.

Wider shot of town.

We saw some caves, but stocked with what? If there was a mini fridge stocked with Corona's at the top that I missed Im going to be very upset. ;)

[Edited on 4-25-2009 by McNulty]

David K - 4-24-2009 at 05:42 PM

LOL... Well, Mike (after whom the mountain is named) made dozens of climbs up there and brought with him a little something extra each time... bedding, chairs, water bottles... and devised a rain water catchment system to keep a container filled with water... all tucked into his cave, at the top.

Graham Mackintosh met Mike in the early 1980's when he was doing his famous 3,000 mile walk around the coast of Baja. Graham went up to Mike's cave on top of the mountain and took a photo from up there, as well... Get his great first book 'Into a Desert Place' to see and read http://grahammackintosh.com

Here is a 1983 photo of 'Mountain Mike' from Graham's web site:

[Edited on 4-25-2009 by David K]

McNulty - 4-24-2009 at 06:09 PM

ahh... very interesting. I have heard of Graham before, but I just haven't gotten around to reading that book yet. Im pretty new to Baja but I'm definitely completely and totally addicted, so ill make sure to give that book a read.

So what ever happened to Mike? is he still around?

David K - 4-24-2009 at 06:13 PM

No, Mike has passed away...

Graham's first book is one of the best Baja adventure reads there is... I highly recommend it!

Graham was joined us for Viva Baja Cactus in Nov., 2006... see him and many other Nomads having a great time touring Tijuana: http://vivabaja.com/vivabajacactus

Graham, rogerj1 and Baja Angel at the Tijuana Brewery Tavern:

Paulina - 4-24-2009 at 06:27 PM

Mike was known for climbing his mountain in the buff. I'd never want to be right in front of him, or right behind him for that matter.

P<*)))>{

elgatoloco - 4-24-2009 at 07:14 PM

Wow! That gigapan is way cool.

How long did the hike take?

Always wanted to go up there ever since I heard about Mike and his cave.

Wiles - 4-24-2009 at 07:29 PM

McNulty....really, really cool imaging there.

A couple old scanned images of Mike and his cave.

Takes about 4 hrs to get up the mountain, more or less.

edited for spelling.

[Edited on 4-25-2009 by Wiles]

[Edited on 4-25-2009 by Wiles]

scan014122 (Small).jpg - 39kB

Wiles - 4-24-2009 at 07:31 PM

Cave

scan014399 (Small).jpg - 44kB

Paulina - 4-24-2009 at 07:50 PM

Wiles,

I was hoping you'd see this post and show some of your photos. Is that Michael Mac Camey (sp?) in that first photo?

P<*)))>{

fishbuck - 4-24-2009 at 07:58 PM

What was this place to Mike? Just sort of a mountain gettaway spot?

McNulty - 4-24-2009 at 08:18 PM

Wiles,

Thanks for sharing those!

I never saw that cave :rolleyes: but maybe it was because I wasn't looking for it.

David K - 4-25-2009 at 06:08 AM

This is a great topic...

D'Rat: Looking forward to seeing your photos... The ones you mailed to me when you followed Graham Mackintosh's walk down the coast are here: http://vivabaja.com/desert_rat

capt. mike - 4-25-2009 at 07:13 AM

but stalked with what? (sic)

Stocked with a stalker?:lol::lol::lol:

24baja - 4-25-2009 at 09:42 AM

Hey, I was wondering about the climb up the Mountain, is it an easy climb, nice trail, is it a climb someone who has knee problems should take? We love to look at the mountain from the bottom, but would both like to take in the summit and view. Thanks for info & photos, Connie

McNulty - 4-25-2009 at 11:23 AM

The trail was fairly nice, It's hard to keep tack of from time to time. We ended up loosing the trail for a few minutes which resulted in us climbing a very steep section of large rocks/boulders which was quiet a pain in the butt (literally and figuratively) but we did finally connect with the trail again... Some parts of the trail were kinda rough, but like with most things in baja, if you take your time and bring plenty of water it shouldn't be to difficult.

capt. mike... thanks for the spelling correction... I don't want confuse people... :rolleyes:

Paulina - 4-25-2009 at 01:03 PM

Desert Rat gave me hand written instructions, but they're on the shelf in Bahia. We've never made the climb either as we can't decide on who will carry the refreshments...I'd like to have a sleep over up there. The stars would be even closer.

I wonder if Carolina has directions on hand at the museum.

P<*)))>{

Skip_Mac - 4-25-2009 at 09:06 PM

Damn McNulty, Thanks for the photos. I dreamed of doing that hike since reading Grahams book and visiting B D Los Angeles (lower elevations),, Mountains and redhead ladies, two of my favorite things. The views were inspiring and I look forward to trying out my knees on that trip. Does anyone have a current report on the condition of the cave as an overnight spot?

bacquito - 4-26-2009 at 11:12 AM

interesting, great photos and comments. Thanks

Desert Rat - 4-28-2009 at 10:21 PM

I am attempting to post my photos taken on Mike's Mountain.

Kevin at one of the three mine entrances on Mike's Mt. Up to this point, the trail is easy to follow and easy to hike. After leaving the mine area, the trail begins to make you work.

Desert Rat hiking down a knob hill and approaching what I call a knife-edge. The knife-edge section of the trail runs about forty feet and it gives you a nice view of deep, steep, drop offs on both sides of the trail. Bad place to trip and fall.

Kevin has just crossed the knife-edge and is heading up toward the summit. The summit is out of the picture to the left. Still got a ways to go!

Kevin taking a "hero" shot at the summit. A goup of Boy Scouts planted the flag on the summit a few days before we got there. The high winds have almost ripped the flag from the pole.

Find this tree and you will find the cave. There are only two trees on the entire mountain and both of them are next to the cave.

Desert Rat at entrance of cave. Happy to finally reach the cave and take a much needed rest.

D'Rat taking that much needed rest on an old, old mattress

The view from inside the cave looking out over the Sea of Cortez. Kevin is writing an entry in the log book that has been placed in a tin can.

Kevin sitting on an overhang near the cave.

Kevin standing on top of Mike's cave.

[Edited on 4-29-2009 by Desert Rat]

fixtrauma - 4-29-2009 at 12:30 AM

Thanks for going to the effort of getting these pictures posted. I enjoyed them.

David K - 4-29-2009 at 08:56 AM

Thank you Ron & Kevin!

McNulty - 4-29-2009 at 02:03 PM

Desert Rat- Thank you for sharing those!!!

How Long ago were those photos taken? I know David K asked this earlier in the thread but does anybody know if that cave is still stocked?

Wiles - 4-29-2009 at 04:24 PM

Desert Rat & Kevin.

Thanks for sharing. I could almost feel the pain and fatigue creep back into my legs while scrolling through the pictures. Your description of the knife-edge is perfect. I remember pausing, taking a deep breath, and just doing it.

It can be incredibly quiet and silent up there and I believe that is one of the reasons Mike liked it so much. He was a very quiet fellow.

Another great climb is to hike to the top of Cedros Island into the fog and monterey pines. What a view. Not nearly as challenging as Mike's however.

fishbuck - 4-29-2009 at 05:05 PM

This is one hike that looks worth doing!

Mike's Cave 1983

Graham - 5-2-2009 at 05:15 PM

At Mike's invitation, I first climbed Mike's Mountain with my girlfriend in 1981. These pictures are from my second trip up there in June 1983 while "resting" during my round Baja hike.

Mike was a terrific character. Unassuming and thoughtful, always willing to share his trail and mountain home with visitors he liked.

He helped me in so many ways during my walk and gave me some great advice about making and carrying water and desert survival.

My book Into a Desert Place, in which he's mentioned several times, was first published in 1988 and a year or so later I made it down to LA Bay to give him a copy, and was saddened to learn that he'd recently passed away.

Thanks for the post. Brought back some very special memories.

cave south end.jpg - 48kB

Inside Cave

Graham - 5-2-2009 at 05:17 PM

How it looked June 1983

GM bw Cave.jpg - 49kB

Mike's solar stills

Graham - 5-2-2009 at 05:19 PM

He made much of his drinking water using these stills.

Mike stills.jpg - 50kB

Mountain Mike 1983

Graham - 5-2-2009 at 05:22 PM

From inside his old VW bus -

Mike from VW.jpg - 48kB

Carrying water

Graham - 5-2-2009 at 05:26 PM

Trying out one of Mike's ideas for carrying water.

Water Carry.jpg - 48kB

El Camote - 5-2-2009 at 09:19 PM

Graham, good to see you posting. I just posted links to youtube footage this week from the 2003 Authors' booksigning video interviews. It's under "Peninsular Treasures" http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=38428

Sorry for the hijack, Ron. I'm enjoying the Mike's Mountain thread as well.

tunaeater - 5-3-2009 at 12:31 AM

Guys this is good stuff!
I've been to BOLA many times and never even thought about the hiking part. Looks like I may have a new interest. I think I will try to get three generations on the summit before next year. Thanks for sharing and sparking the interest

Paul

David K - 5-3-2009 at 05:10 PM

Thank you Graham for your 'historic' photos!

Mike's inspiration

Graham - 5-3-2009 at 10:21 PM

It’s hard for me to think of Baja, without bringing Mike and Mike’s Mountain to mind. Mike challenged me to hike up to the top of the mountain… when hiking to the pub was usually about the limit of my ambition. It nearly killed me but I’ll never forget the terrific sense of accomplishment and the breathtaking view.

And it was up there for the first time, looking down at the bay and gazing across to Tiburon and mainland Mexico and south towards Las Animas that I envisioned that I was going to walk a good hunk of the coast of Baja and maybe write a book about it. A true peak experience.

Thanks Mike Michel – Gentle soul and a true Baja character. I’m sure your spirit will be guiding folks up your trail for generations to come.

Mike admiring bay.jpg - 43kB

Graham - 5-3-2009 at 10:26 PM

If I remember correctly, the trail ran under what Mike called the McDonald's Arch.

Arch over trail.jpg - 42kB

David K - 5-4-2009 at 02:56 PM

Great photo!!

McNulty - 5-4-2009 at 06:00 PM

Awesome photos graham! and thanks for your insight dude!

McNulty - 5-4-2009 at 10:10 PM

Ya... I never saw the arch either; we definitely saw a trail heading up the left side of the canyon (at the very beginning of the hike, we went up the right side) so maybe that was an alternative rout.

vlbeta - 1-23-2015 at 02:19 PM

Hey guys, new to the forum, thank you all for posting such useful information and insights. I've been doing quite a bit of research here.

I'm heading to Tecolote Beach tomorrow from Los Barriles and would love to do the Mike's Mountain hike.

Where is the trailhead located and can you do the hike in one day? Or is it better to rest the night at the top and head back down on day 2?

Many thanks for all your help!

Gulliver - 1-23-2015 at 03:03 PM

I walked up part way in 92 carrying my paraglider, launched and worked my way up to the summit in the rising air currents. I had no idea there was any caves and never knew about Mike.

I feel like I desecrated a shrine!

[Edited on 1-23-2015 by Gulliver]

Von - 4-8-2015 at 04:36 PM

Just got back from BOLA Climbed all over Mikes mtn . Really awesome time.

Stayed at Rubens Daggetts place as always really quiet and serene :)

David K - 4-8-2015 at 05:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Von  

Hi Von... of course you have photos??!! PLEASE SHARE!! (email them to me if you are challenged)

Bajaboy - 4-8-2015 at 07:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by Von  

Hi Von... of course you have photos??!! PLEASE SHARE!! (email them to me if you are challenged)

His photos are epic! Unfortunately many are of him and ruin the view:lol: