BajaNomad

Suzuki Samurai

GC - 4-29-2009 at 09:20 AM

Just purchased a 1987 Suzuki Samurai JX for the main purpose of using as a toad behind a motor home. However, I do plan to explore offroad with it also. I have been looking at all of the forums I can find to see what I need to do to the
Samurai to run BFG AT 235/75R 15s on it. Since I have already put the tires on the car (they required a little trimming of the inside of the front bumper) I am commited to the project. Seem to be okay driving around Ensenada, but don't think I should go off road until I do some type of Lift. Any Nomad Samurai driver's out there with recommendations?

durrelllrobert - 4-29-2009 at 10:18 AM

george, if you jack it up enough you will be able to tip over in your driveway:lol::lol:

Bob and Susan - 4-29-2009 at 10:18 AM

Rod's in Marshalltown, IA

http://www.samuraisalvage.com/

this is the guy to talk to...

Zuki

bajaguy - 4-29-2009 at 01:21 PM

Try this link, then go to the forum...has plenty of info:

http://www.zukiworld.com

I have a Chevy Tracker and put on some 1" wheel spacers
from Rocky Road:

http://www.rocky-road.com/

And a 3 combo lift kt from Masterkit1:

http://www.masterkit1.com/SiteANG09.htm

I run 235x75-15s with no probem and have a 2" wider stance
Will have it in Ensenada soon as my run around town car

[Edited on 4-29-2009 by bajaguy]

mtgoat666 - 4-29-2009 at 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GC
, but don't think I should go off road until I do some type of Lift. Any Nomad Samurai driver's out there with recommendations?

Is the 1987 Samurai about same as the 1980 LJ80? I think it is. I had a soft top LJ80 overseas, and the stock version could go places most full size 4WDs could not go. Clearance was never an issue, as it was adequate in stock configuaration, and the wheel base was so short and width so narrow, that you could drive around most any obstacle, whereas full size vehicles had to go over obstacles. LJ80 was so light that it was impossible to get stuck.

What year did Suzuki get in trouble for roll instability? I think after that year the stock models in US were lower to ground.

In general, putting a lift kit on a 1980s vintage suzuki is a recipe for instability. 1980s vintage suzukis are top heavy death traps --- avoid high speed trips, especially if you put on a lift kit.

bajaguy - 4-29-2009 at 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666

........What year did Suzuki get in trouble for roll instability? I think after that year the stock models in US were lower to ground.

In general, putting a lift kit on a 1980s vintage suzuki is a recipe for instability. 1980s vintage suzukis are top heavy death traps --- avoid high speed trips, especially if you put on a lift kit.

Thats why I put the 1" wheel spacers on....widens(sp) the
track by 2"....more stability.

CortezBlue - 4-29-2009 at 04:28 PM

I have an 87 Zuki that has a 1.6L Sidekick Motor and it has been lifted 6" over axel. I am trying to figure out how to include a photo on here.

[Edited on 4-29-2009 by CortezBlue]

[Edited on 4-30-2009 by CortezBlue]

SanFelipeZuki.jpg - 27kB

TMW - 4-29-2009 at 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue
I have an 87 Zuki that has a 1.6L Sidekick Motor and it has been lifted 6" over axel. I am trying to figure out how to include a photo on here.

The pixs have to be under 50K. If so then call it up using the browse for attachments that you see when replying (not the quick reply) then just attach it.

GC - 5-1-2009 at 08:37 AM

Thank you for the inputs. There is sure a lot of information on the Samurai out there and I am having fun researching it. Cheers, GC.

TMW - 5-2-2009 at 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue

[Edited on 4-30-2009 by CortezBlue]

If there wasn't someone in the vehicle it would look like a Big Foot type vechile with those oversize tires. What size differential ratio do you use with such a mall engine?

BajaBruno - 5-3-2009 at 10:30 AM

My experience mimics mtgoat666’s. I rented one of these in Belize many years ago (a totally stock soft-top) and then drove it hard for many hours over miserable dirt roads into southern Belize, along beaches, then at NASCAR speeds over brutal dirt roads to Tikal, Guatemala and back—all with four occupants.

Although the ride for those in back was much less than comfortable, the car was perfectly serviceable in stock condition and did everything we asked of it.

I have always been hesitant to mess with the stock suspension engineering unless I wanted to tailor a vehicle for a very narrow range of use. I figure those factory engineers know more about a car’s geometry than I do, or the knuckleheads at the local hillbilly truck shop.

CortezBlue - 5-3-2009 at 07:32 PM

If there wasn't someone in the vehicle it would look like a Big Foot type vechile with those oversize tires. What size differential ratio do you use with such a mall engine? [/quote

Not sure what the gear ratio is, but the 1.6L engine is an upgrade from the 1.3L

I think the tire are 33's. All I know is I have pulled many a high dollar sand rails out of the sand n 4wd low.

Cyanide41 - 5-11-2009 at 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
1980s vintage suzukis are top heavy death traps --- avoid high speed trips, especially if you put on a lift kit.

:lol: This is a SUZUKI we are talking about. My first car was a 91 sidekick. It topped out at 85 on the freeway with a huge straight away and then the doors were about to fall off. We beat the hell out of that poor thing and never had any issues.

[Edited on 5-11-2009 by Cyanide41]

Von - 5-11-2009 at 10:00 AM

Had an 88 never ever had any problems went through the desert for two weeks with no problems one time from orange county to la paz boy do i misss my Samurai good old days....

rpleger - 5-11-2009 at 10:58 AM

This is my third Samari and they just keep going and going...

Lost my other two in the Mulegé flood, gave em to my mechanic there back to running again....The Best for Baja

wsdunc - 5-11-2009 at 11:37 AM

Lots of info/knowledge/parts at www.petroworks.com

oldjack - 5-12-2009 at 09:30 AM

I was thinking of getting a Suzuki to commute from SJD airport to Los Barriles... which model.... not wanting to off-road(except for all the construction) just something less expensive than leaving the Tacoma parked at the airport for 3-4 weeks at a time... which model would be the most comfortable driving down the highway????

Bajajack - 5-12-2009 at 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oldjack
I was thinking of getting a Suzuki to commute from SJD airport to Los Barriles... which model.... not wanting to off-road(except for all the construction) just something less expensive than leaving the Tacoma parked at the airport for 3-4 weeks at a time... which model would be the most comfortable driving down the highway????
1998 Tracker, almost exact drive train as Samurai but with a bigger engine.

Samurai's are ok off road but it's tough trying to keep any speed on the Hwy.

Put any oversize tires on them and you will be rowing 3rd and 4th constantly, forget about 5th, it ain't gonna happen.

mtgoat666 - 5-12-2009 at 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oldjack

if just commuting and highway driving, then a passenger car is more comfortable. suzuki small suvs are not as comfortable as a sedan, not as fun to drive. get a toyota or VW sedan.

Jack

bajaguy - 5-12-2009 at 06:31 PM

Check this website:

http://www.zukiworld.com/

click on the forums and read away....

Lots of good info on Suzukis and Trackers......If'n I was you, I would look for a 95-99 Suzuki or Tracker 2 door, 2 or 4WD.

They are NOT road cars......I drove mine from Grants Pass to Carson City in one day.......not a fun trip. Top speed about 65, hit 75 a couple of times......fun off road, a tow car or a driver to town, but not a lot of creature comforts for a long drive.

[Edited on 5-13-2009 by bajaguy]

[Edited on 5-13-2009 by bajaguy]

oldjack - 5-13-2009 at 07:50 AM

thanks for the input... the drive from SJD to Los Barriles is less than an hour... but with some rain the vados get full of sand, pot holes appear and then I need to negotiate the arroyo in Los Barriles.... also may consider a Bronco II... but those little Suzuki's are so darn cute.... kinda like an adult Tonka Toy!!!