BajaNomad

Baja California to develop wind, hydroelectric power

Bajaboy - 6-3-2009 at 03:14 PM

Baja California to develop wind, hydroelectric power
By Sandra Dibble, Union-Tribune Staff Writer
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/jun/03/baja-cali...

2:00 a.m. June 3, 2009

BAJA CALIFORNIA — Baja California plans to decrease its dependence on fossil fuels by developing wind energy and hydroelectric power, the state's top environmental official said yesterday.

By 2011, alternative energy will supply 75 percent of public lighting statewide, said Socrates Bastida, Baja California's environmental protection secretary.

Bastida described the state's plans while speaking in San Diego at a cross-border forum on climate change hosted by the San Diego Association of Governments. Participants included government officials, scientists and representatives of the nonprofit sector from both countries.

Baja California is developing a wind energy park in La Rumorosa, a high plateau near the U.S. border between Tecate and Mexicali. A Mexican company, Turbo Power Services, has been awarded the contract for the initial phase of the $26 million, 10-megawatt plant, which would generate 27 million kilowatt-hours annually, enough to supply about 17,500 local residents.

Bastida said that the state is also planning the construction of a hydroelectric plant outside Tecate at Carrizo Dam. –S.D.

Sandra Dibble: (619) 293-1716;

David K - 6-3-2009 at 03:27 PM

Wow... That's great, I guess... but amazing after the realization that the wind generating turbines kill birds and the noise scares away migrating species! :rolleyes:

Why not use nuclear power...? It makes warm water that encourages sea life where the reactor's cooling water is released. :light:

Too bad the geothermal plant south of Mexicali isn't expanded instead... That's clean natural energy, like hydroelectric. :biggrin:

Woooosh - 6-3-2009 at 03:32 PM

$26 Million dollars to power 17,500 homes comes out to $15,000 per home. Doesn't make sense or maybe the numbers are wrong. They could crank out solar panels in under utilized maquiladoras faster and cheaper than that it would seem- without the environmental impact.
:?:

[Edited on 6-3-2009 by Woooosh]

Bajaboy - 6-3-2009 at 03:34 PM

Yeah, nuclear power...then we could put the nuclear waste in Oceanside:lol::lol: And isn't there sea life in cold water?:light:

Woooosh - 6-3-2009 at 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Yeah, nuclear power...then we could put the nuclear waste in Oceanside:lol::lol: And isn't there sea life in cold water?:light:

sea life, yes... baja nomads- no.

Bajaboy - 6-3-2009 at 03:42 PM

I didn't say anything about nuclear power being bad.....

And I don't let the President do my thinking for me...thank you very much:cool:

Woooosh - 6-3-2009 at 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
If nuclear power is bad, then why is Obama recommending we allow or help Iran to have nuclear power plants for energy creation... today's news.

If it is okay for his muslem friends, it must be okay for the rest of us, no?

OK- I'll take the bait. My dogs just survived rat poison- so it's my turn I guess...

BHO (he now prefers the muslim middle name inclusion) will say that Iran has the right to nuclear power so UN inspections of their existing nuclear facilities could be negotiated. If they have nothing to hide- they would allow inspections- right? If BHO had said Iran did not have that right- no progress could be made.

More nukes- less kooks! My bumper sticker from 20 years ago...

woody with a view - 6-3-2009 at 03:52 PM

by 2011?

that's like next week, right??? all of baja?

good luck!

bajaguy - 6-3-2009 at 03:52 PM

Thinking about buying one of these for Baja:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/produc...

Birds will just have to take their chances...:lol:

David K - 6-3-2009 at 03:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Then why do you want nuclear waste in Oceanside? Aren't we friends? I would never wish harm to you or your neighbors...

Why don't you want open debate of ideas...? Isn't that why you posted Sandra's article here... so we could read it and discuss it?

Free exchange of ideas is good for all of us... to hear both sides not just the state media sources on issues, right? Democracy will fail if only the big government/ anti-capitalism views are heard.

BMG - 6-3-2009 at 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh
$26 Million dollars to power 17,500 homes comes out to $15,000 per home. Doesn't make sense or maybe the numbers are wrong. They could crank out solar panels in under utilized maquiladoras faster and cheaper than that it would seem- without the environmental impact.
:?:

[Edited on 6-3-2009 by Woooosh]
Nope, closer to $1,500, but the article says 'residents', not homes. Not sure exactly what they mean.

Divide the cost by 20 year average serviceable lifespan of a windmill. Raw cost is something like $0.05 kWh.

Cypress - 6-3-2009 at 04:29 PM

Hydroelectric power, in a desert? :?: That'll be a neat trick.:biggrin:

DENNIS - 6-3-2009 at 04:32 PM

Quote:
A Mexican company, Turbo Power Services, has been awarded the contract for the initial phase of the $26 million, 10-megawatt plant, which would generate 27 million kilowatt-hours annually, enough to supply about 17,500 local residents.

Since Mexicans have a habit of refering to cost etc in pesos, maybe that is what they're saying here.

As Woody mentioned....2011? It'll take them longer than that to get permits. Just more nonsense from Dreamland.

longhairedbeatnik - 6-3-2009 at 04:39 PM

I have always noticed that whenever a Baja official announces anything in regards to a mega project, it only happens about 20% of the time. There a bunch of windmills in Scorpion Bay that are just sitting there. I guess they were just ahead of their time ha ha .
Go nuke as its the only green energy if the do it right. The french can't be wrong, can they.:D

Bajaboy - 6-3-2009 at 04:39 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Then why do you want nuclear waste in Oceanside? Aren't we friends? I would never wish harm to you or your neighbors...

Why don't you want open debate of ideas...? Isn't that why you posted Sandra's article here... so we could read it and discuss it?

Free exchange of ideas is good for all of us... to hear both sides not just the state media sources on issues, right? Democracy will fail if only the big government/ anti-capitalism views are heard.

My point DK is that it's easy for people to say they're for nuclear power until they have to deal with the nuclear waste. Find a solution for the waste and then nuclear power might make more sense.

And when did I say anything against open debate? I am for it and in fact wish we had more of it. Our Country has this mentality that as long as everyone agrees with us then debate is good. Unfortunately, that is not the case.

I, for one, do not understand why the US feels it can pick and choose who is allowed to have nuclear power/weapons.

DK-please don't put words in my mouth....I need room to insert my foot once in awhile.

zac

Working most of the time for many years...

Juan del Rio - 6-3-2009 at 06:38 PM

The "System" has had it's ups and downs, but it continues to provide power to San Juanico. It works. There is a waiting list to be connected to "the grid". Many folks in town have their own solar, but that is a big upfront cost for many folks.
They are now installing "commerical" meters for businesses.

P1100171X.JPG - 34kB

Woooosh - 6-3-2009 at 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Juan del Rio
The "System" has had it's ups and downs, but it continues to provide power to San Juanico. It works. There is a waiting list to be connected to "the grid". Many folks in town have their own solar, but that is a big upfront cost for many folks.
They are now installing "commerical" meters for businesses.

Hmmm. I think wind power is great for more remote areas where the "wind corridors" are (like near Palm Springs), but pretty they are not. The photo shows a ground-mounted solar panel array among the turbine towers. Which one do you want to look at all day long from your Baja retirement home.

I get 10-12mph off the ocean all day long, but I wouldn't put a 9' propeller on a mast over my house. Solar panels would be completely hidden from view- but really not cost effective for my needs yet. Just because the new wind turbines are "more quiet", it doesn't mean you won't hear it go whoop whoop whoop all day and night. Newer commercial jets are quieter too, but I wouldn't want to live near an airport. Like everything else- you need the right blend of technology and location to make it work. I hope the same people that would block a cellphone tower because it's an eyesore- wouldn't erect a bunch of these in the same place.

Windmills on my Mind

MrBillM - 6-3-2009 at 08:37 PM

Woooosh has a point. We have battles up here over Cellphone towers all the time, even though, the phony Palm Trees are the best looking thing in the area.

Living in the Heart of Windmill Land, I found that they've managed to do something previously thought not possible.

They've made the Crappy-Looking Desert in the Coachella Valley around Palm Springs uglier than it already was.

AND, quiet they are not.

Given the nature of people and the fact that Wind Generators have started small wars among neighbors in Baja, I can just imagine the effect they'd have in Urban environments where neighbors shoot each other on a regular basis for things like leaving their trashcans out on the street.

Would make for great news reporting, though.

I DO own an Airpower 404 in Baja, but it's rarely used.

BajaGringo - 6-3-2009 at 09:00 PM

A Spanish company has been buying up land south of San Quintin in 500 hectare parcels, supposedly with the idea of building wind generating farms. If you see what looks like an antenna tower out along some remote area it may be one of their test collection towers this company installed to monitor the best areas along the Baja west coast to pursue the idea. It beats fossil fuels and I doubt they will be building any nuclear power plants soon, but I wouldn't really mind. The French really do have the design down and there are methods available to recycle the plutonium waste back into reusable fuel cells.

Great Post...A real good discussion and views to share for sure!

Juan del Rio - 6-3-2009 at 09:15 PM

The system was put in place many, many years before anyone moved even close to the system in San Juanico. It was, “out in the country” way back then! People moved in around it as the property prices were very, very low and a lot of land speculation was going on by both Nationals and Non-Nationals. Those folks who purchased must be ok with it. Houses are being built around and below the system. Kinda like buying a home on a large, well paved boulevard with double/double yellow lines in front of your driveway and a stop signal down the same street. Your eyes/ears must be open when you buy. I agree that the SJ system, “whoops", but it is an "old system" stuck in a salt air environment. Technology has advanced over the past ten years for sure. You all know that Baja has the possibility to develope, "tidal power" in the future? A great , emerging technology that just is getting some traction for sure!!! Either way, good or bad, the fact that Baja has so many natural, renewable resources, is a golden gem(s)/nugget(s) for sure that is now being re-discovered! Who knew? (well, almost all Baja Nomads did!). Let’s see some more action on this thread for sure!

P1100172X.JPG - 32kB

mtgoat666 - 6-3-2009 at 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
A Spanish company has been buying up land south of San Quintin in 500 hectare parcels, supposedly with the idea of building wind generating farms.

Fools and their money are soon parted -- avg wind spd is too low in san quintin

Utility scale wind and solar power is only economically feasible near border where you have grid to wheel power to USA for sales of greater than 5 cents per kWhr and can partake of USA tax credits -- that's why you see Sempra and other USA and European firms driving the La Rumorosa project.

Wind and solar are not economically viable in Mexico where wholesale rates are so low, and govt doesn't subsidize private developers with tax credits like USA. May be economically "viable" for govt to develop, but not private developers.

If you had a grid, Vizcaino plains would be good place for util scale wind turbines.

mtgoat666 - 6-3-2009 at 09:46 PM

Quote:
I think wind power is great for more remote areas where the "wind corridors" are (like near Palm Springs), but pretty they are not.

I think big turbines/towers and blades are beautiful and graceful. The Campo wind farm is quite pretty as you drive across I-8. I think the Palm Springs wind projects are quite beautiful. A lot better looking than a housing development or suburban spawl.

BTW, I think Oceanside is already a dump, got no problem with dumping nuke waste in Oceanside. Proably would give employment to a few of the gang bangers, meth heads and AWOL marines

Woooosh - 6-3-2009 at 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo I doubt they will be building any nuclear power plants soon, but I wouldn't really mind. The French really do have the design down and there are methods available to recycle the plutonium waste back into reusable fuel cells.

really? I didn't know that. So- other than Three Mile Island and the five legged cows of Chernobyl- what's the resistance to Nukes as one part of the energy solution?

Bajahowodd - 6-3-2009 at 11:26 PM

Is there a strong enough constant wind velocity around San Quintin to make it feasible? Most wind farms are built in areas of great pressure gradients, such as Altamont or Cabazon.

Wanted to also chime in on an earlier post regarding the Iranian nuclear thing. Let's all remember that back in 2002, Saddam let the UN inspectors back into the country. Given that access and time, it would have been determined that there was no active nuclear program in Iraq. That would have prevented the deaths of over 4,000 of America's finest young men and women; not to mention thousands maimed; not to mention the horrid toll on the Iraqis. George W had an itching, and told the UN inspectors on the ground in Iraq to get their hineys the heck out. Mission accomplished.

David K - 6-4-2009 at 08:34 AM

Tidal power generators in the upper Gulf of California would provide awesome power with no pollution... only the fish would be bothered, but less so than if we catch and kill them for our dinner!

BMG - 6-4-2009 at 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd

Wanted to also chime in on an earlier post regarding the Iranian nuclear thing. Let's all remember that back in 2002, Saddam let the UN inspectors back into the country. Given that access and time, it would have been determined that there was no active nuclear program in Iraq. That would have prevented the deaths of over 4,000 of America's finest young men and women; not to mention thousands maimed; not to mention the horrid toll on the Iraqis. George W had an itching, and told the UN inspectors on the ground in Iraq to get their hineys the heck out. Mission accomplished.
Political statements like this belong in Off-Topic. Has nothing to do with this topic.

BajaGringo - 6-4-2009 at 09:18 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo I doubt they will be building any nuclear power plants soon, but I wouldn't really mind. The French really do have the design down and there are methods available to recycle the plutonium waste back into reusable fuel cells.

really? I didn't know that. So- other than Three Mile Island and the five legged cows of Chernobyl- what's the resistance to Nukes as one part of the energy solution?

Two totally different scenarios. Chernobyl was a true disaster and largely due to design, starting with the fact they used U238 fuel cells. Sometimes called a "fast" fuel, U238 is the most common form of uranium found. Its downside is that it can remain in a super-critical state of fission / neutron production in the absence of cooling water to the core. Its control totally depends on the functioning of control rods made of neutron absorbing material like hafnium or boron. In the event of a loss of cooling medium and breach of the fuel cell containment structure, the emitted U238 may still fission.

Reactors in the USA are called thermal reactors using U235 which require a moderator like water which not only cools the reactor core but acts as a "braking system" where the water molecules provide surface area for the neutrons streaming out of a fission event to collide and slow down. In a U235 core the neutrons reach a "thermal speed" after 5 to 7 such collisions where they can be absorbed into the nucleus of an available U235 atom. At fission speed they are going too fast to cause another fission event. You remove the cooling water and the neutrons emitted from fission events will simply escape out from the reactor core, effectively taking the core sub-critical and shutting the reactor down.

Chernobyl was a disaster waiting to happen and why there were so many injuries and fatalities. We still don't know how many and their problem is still not solved. They just encased the whole place in concrete they injected to cover the reactor but the high radiation is quickly breaking the concrete down and they are (supposedly) working on a long term plan to deal with it.

TMI was a thermal core and in the worst case scenario where a loss of coolant/moderator partially uncovered a reactor core causing it to overheat and damage the upper areas of the fuel cells. As the core was only partially uncovered the lower areas of the cells continued to produce fission events and the core remained "live", so to speak and through a series of human and equipment failures there was a release of radioactivity from the plant. There were zero fatalities from TMI. They have since incorporated many design and control changes to drastically reduce the chance of that ever happening again.

The difference in design played a key role in the fact that the results of these two events were so different. Look into how many have died over the years in the USA alone in energy related production of coal, natural/liquid gas and petroleum. We just accept that risk. People have this vision of a mushroom cloud over a reactor cooling tower. It could never happen. It would be easier to build a nuclear bomb from scratch.

I have pulled control rods in GE and Westinghouse thermal plants. You couldn't get me to take out the trash at a U238 plant.

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
A Spanish company has been buying up land south of San Quintin in 500 hectare parcels, supposedly with the idea of building wind generating farms.

Fools and their money are soon parted -- avg wind spd is too low in san quintin

Utility scale wind and solar power is only economically feasible near border where you have grid to wheel power to USA for sales of greater than 5 cents per kWhr and can partake of USA tax credits -- that's why you see Sempra and other USA and European firms driving the La Rumorosa project.

Wind and solar are not economically viable in Mexico where wholesale rates are so low, and govt doesn't subsidize private developers with tax credits like USA. May be economically "viable" for govt to develop, but not private developers.

If you had a grid, Vizcaino plains would be good place for util scale wind turbines.

I don't have any professional experience with wind generators but I can only tell you what I know. They are buying up some land about 40 miles south of San Quintin and they seem to think they can make it work. Who knows?

I have several neighbors living near my new place out on the beach who power their homes 100% off batteries charged by wind generators. I guess it is possible to make it work on an individual scale where we are at. I can hardly remember a day without wind...

YMMV

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

[Edited on 6-5-2009 by BajaGringo]

Woooosh - 6-4-2009 at 09:26 AM

Thanks BG! I learned more in your post about current nuke technology that I've seen in print anywhere. So it seems the obstacles are more political than technological- or the engineers are waiting for cold fusion to be perfected.

Cypress - 6-4-2009 at 09:33 AM

Small wind turbines require wind speeds of 9-10mph.

BajaGringo - 6-4-2009 at 11:30 AM

You're welcome Woooosh. It's not a debate I like to get into normally because it tends to turn into one of emotional impressions of images and fear vs logic and facts. I have found that if someone can just put their fears aside and take a good look at the facts they may very likely change their mind. I personally do not want to work at a commercial plant - it is one of the most boring jobs you will ever encounter which is why you will see coffee pots all over the place. I was a navy nuke and with constant changes of power levels and operating conditions, a nuclear reactor at sea was the best job I ever had in my life.

I just hated having to deal with the rest of the Navy once my shift was over and I had to go topside. But that is another story.

Wind? I have seen wind generators advertise they can produce power at less than 5 mph - don't know how true that is. Out where we are at it seems like it is constantly in the 10-20 mph range.

Cypress - 6-4-2009 at 11:40 AM

Nuclear energy! :bounce: All the negative BS regarding nuclear power is just that, BS, put out by who the heck knows. Probably the coal industry.:(

BMG - 6-4-2009 at 12:19 PM

Quote:

I have pulled control rods in GE and Westinghouse thermal plants.
So that explains the hairdo.

Thanks for the informative post.

"obstacles are more political than technological" may be the understatement of the year.

BajaGringo - 6-4-2009 at 12:56 PM

I "wish" I had that much hair!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The good news is that my wife tells me I make a good night light when the power goes out...

flyfishinPam - 6-5-2009 at 05:47 AM

Quote:
Wow... That's great, I guess... but amazing after the realization that the wind generating turbines kill birds and the noise scares away migrating species! :rolleyes:

Why not use nuclear power...? It makes warm water that encourages sea life where the reactor's cooling water is released. :light:

Too bad the geothermal plant south of Mexicali isn't expanded instead... That's clean natural energy, like hydroelectric. :biggrin:

nuclear or nookular power in BCS? get real! would you really want a local responsible for a nuke plant? I sure as hell wouldn't, they don't even know the purpose of a ground wire in home or commerical electrical systems!

I like wooshes suggestion, fire up those closed down or underused maquilidoras and crank our solar placas, inverters, batteries, etc. We got plenty of sun! One 2 X 4 foot panel can power much of my house for four hours!

Osprey - 6-5-2009 at 06:01 AM

Gringo, thanks for the info on fusion (or is it fishin'?). I like fishin. You gave us a great Cliff's notes on the process. As far as nuclear power goes, some think it is mankind's greatest invention. I'd argue it's the bowling ball. I mean, think about all the time and effort to walk down there, kick all those pins over! Sheesh.

woody with a view - 6-5-2009 at 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
Gringo, thanks for the info on fusion (or is it fishin'?). I like fishin. You gave us a great Cliff's notes on the process. As far as nuclear power goes, some think it is mankind's greatest invention. I'd argue it's the bowling ball. I mean, think about all the time and effort to walk down there, kick all those pins over! Sheesh.

well Osprey, wouldn't that explain the clown shoes???:P

BajaGringo - 6-5-2009 at 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by flyfishinPam
I like wooshes suggestion, fire up those closed down or underused maquilidoras and crank our solar placas, inverters, batteries, etc. We got plenty of sun! One 2 X 4 foot panel can power much of my house for four hours!

I do like that idea...

wiltonh - 6-5-2009 at 09:19 AM

Last winter I was camping on the beach in Southern Baja and a guy came to me and asked where the local power came from? I told him, that as far as I knew it was an oil driven power plant.

He then pulls out a AAA map and shows me a site on the coast near Ciudad Insurgentes which was labeled "Nuclear Plant". The actual location was just North of the road that ends at a town called Adolfo Lopez Mateos.

I had been there the year before and I did not see anything that looked like any type of power plant. I decided to see what Google Earth had to say. It shows a large open area with no buildings. I printed the images and gave them to my friend.

Since that time, I have seen two more AAA maps that show the same thing. I did not record the date of the original map so I am not sure if the later two maps were just copies or different versions.

The real question is why did AAA ever think there might have been a nuclear plant there?

David K - 6-5-2009 at 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wiltonh
Last winter I was camping on the beach in Southern Baja and a guy came to me and asked where the local power came from? I told him, that as far as I knew it was an oil driven power plant.

He then pulls out a AAA map and shows me a site on the coast near Ciudad Insurgentes which was labeled "Nuclear Plant". The actual location was just North of the road that ends at a town called Adolfo Lopez Mateos.

I had been there the year before and I did not see anything that looked like any type of power plant. I decided to see what Google Earth had to say. It shows a large open area with no buildings. I printed the images and gave them to my friend.

Since that time, I have seen two more AAA maps that show the same thing. I did not record the date of the original map so I am not sure if the later two maps were just copies or different versions.

The real question is why did AAA ever think there might have been a nuclear plant there?

On my desk here is a 2007 and 1980 AAA Baja map and neither one call the town 'Adolfo'... both say 'Puerto Lopez Mateos' and there is no power plant shown.

If you could provide the year of the map and double check who's map it is, that would be great! Thanks!

flyfishinPam - 6-5-2009 at 11:31 AM

Quote:

On my desk here is a 2007 and 1980 AAA Baja map and neither one call the town 'Adolfo'... both say 'Puerto Lopez Mateos' and there is no power plant shown.

If you could provide the year of the map and double check who's map it is, that would be great! Thanks!

The correct name is Puerto Adolofo Lopes Mateos many signs say Pto. A. Lopez Mateos. No nuke plant around there but they may have confused this with the "geothermal plant" which is really a diesel generator just outside Puerto San Carlos which is West of Ciudad Constitucion. In front the sign says its a geothermal plant, so of course I was surprised and impressed but I soon found out afterwards that it is a diesel burning generator that produced most of the electricity for BCS.

Back in mid October I was a bit worried about the path of Norbert that could have taken it as a category 1 or 2 right where that plant is. That could have shut down all of the electricity in BCS. Now think about it, if we need to actually worry about hurricane activity as well as seismic activity would you really want a nuke plant here. There are places where they work well and places where they don't. This is one place where they wouldn't work.

wiltonh - 6-6-2009 at 09:27 AM

Flyfishingpam is correct in that I had the exact location wrong. It is just South of Puerto Lopez Mateos at a place called San Carlos on my map. So much for doing this from memory. I had heard that there was a oil based power plant on Mag. Bay but did not know the exact location.

The copy right date on the map is 2003-2004 and I have scanned a small section which shows what they call a "Thermonuclear Power Plant".

[Edited on 6-6-2009 by wiltonh]

THERMONuclear ?

MrBillM - 6-6-2009 at 09:33 AM

A Hydrogen Fusion Power Plant in Mexico ?

WOW ! A REAL First.

Jose can you see ?

David K - 6-6-2009 at 10:05 AM

That is sooo cool... as a BIG error on the map! LOL

It has been removed on the newer map!

Thanks for scanning it for us!

wiltonh - 6-6-2009 at 10:15 AM

If the Turtle Bust thread, did not prove that you cannot believe all that you read, then this does.

That goes for maps also.

BajaGringo - 6-6-2009 at 10:37 AM

It has to be geothermal...

wiltonh - 6-6-2009 at 01:40 PM

This discussion got me to wondering which nations had nuclear power. Here is a link to a chart and Mexico is listed:

http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf01.html

BajaGringo - 6-6-2009 at 02:12 PM

Nuclear Power in Mexico

(July 2008)

* Mexico has two nuclear reactors generating almost 5% of its electricity.
* Its first commercial nuclear power reactor began operating in 1989.
* There is some government support for expanding nuclear energy to reduce reliance on natural gas.

Mexico is rich in hydrocarbon resources and is a net energy exporter. The country's interest in nuclear energy is rooted in the need to reduce its reliance on these sources of energy. In coming years Mexico will increasingly rely on natural gas.

Energy growth was very rapid in the decades to the late 1990s, but then levelled off for a few years. From about 2007 electricity demand is expected to grow again at an average rate of almost 6% a year. In 2007, 257 billion kWh was generated. The electricity supply is quite diverse, with gas supplying 126 TWh (49%), oil 52 TWh (20%), coal 32 TWh (12.5%) and hydroelectric dams 27 TWh (10.5%) in 2007. Per capita power use is about 1800 kWh/yr.

In 2007 Mexico got about 10 billion kWh net from nuclear, about 4.6% of the electricity used.

Of total 54 GWe capacity in 2006, nuclear was 1.37 GWe (gross), hydro 10.7 GWe, geothermal 960 MWe and the balance fossil fuels.

Nuclear industry development

Mexico's interest in nuclear energy was made official in 1956 with the establishment of the National Commission for Nuclear Energy (CNEN). That organisation took general responsibility for all nuclear activities in the country except the use of radioisotopes and the generation of electric power. The Federal Electricity Commission (CFE), one of the two state-owned electricity companies, was assigned the role of future nuclear generator.

Preliminary investigations to identify potential sites for nuclear power plants were begun in 1966 by CNEN and CFE and in 1969 CFE invited bids for proven power plant designs with a capacity of around 600 MWe. In 1972 a decision to build was made, and in 1976 construction began at Laguna Verde on two 654 MWe General Electric boiling-water reactors (BWRs).

Although Mexican industry did not supply major components for the Laguna Verde plant, Mexican companies undertook the civil engineering work and Mexican staff maintain the reactor and train to operate it at CFE's simulator.

CNEN was later transformed into the National Institute on Nuclear Energy (INEN), which in turn was split in 1979 into the National Institute of Nuclear Research (ININ), Mexican Uranium (Uramex) and the National Commission on Nuclear Safety and Safeguards (CNSNS). Uramex's functions were taken over by the Ministry of Energy in 1985.

Operating Mexican power reactors

Laguna Verde 1 & 2

CFE shows 1365 MWe gross

In February 2007 CFE signed contracts with Spain's Iberdrola and also Alstom to fit new turbines and generators to the Laguna Verde plant at a cost of US$ 605 million. They will then produce 20% more power - about 280 MWe. With approval from the CNSNS, the reactors could be uprated progressively from 2008 to 2010. Meanwhile 11.6 MWe uprates to both units were achieved in 2007 through better flow control.

High-level government support exists for an expansion of nuclear energy, primarily to reduce dependence on natural gas, but no plans exist as yet. However, a committee has been established to recommend on new nuclear plants and the most recent proposal is for one unit to come on line by 2015 with seven more to follow it by 2025 to bring nuclear share of electricity up to 12% then. Cost studies show nuclear being competitive with gas at about US$ 4 cents/kWh in all scenarios considered.

In the longer term, Mexico may look to employ small reactors such as IRIS to provide power and desalinate sea water for agricultural use.

ININ have previously presented ideas for a plant consisting of three IRIS reactors sharing a stream of sea water for cooling and desalination. With seven reverse-osmosis desalination units served by the reactors, 140,000m3 of potable water could be produced each day, as well 840 MWe.

Fuel cycle

Since its absorbtion of Uramex, the Ministry of Energy has had responsibility for uranium prospecting, which it delegates to the Mineral Resources Board. Mexico has identified reserves of about 2000 tonnes of uranium but this has not been mined to date.

A uranium milling plant operated on an experimental basis at Villa Aldana, in the Chihuahua region at the end of the 1960s but has now been decommissioned. Tailings were disposed of at Pena Blanca.

Under Mexican legislation, nuclear fuel is the property of the state and is under the control of the CNSNS.

Used nuclear fuel from the Laguna Verde reactors is stored underwater at the site. The storage pools have been re-racked to provide enough space for the reactors' entire lives. About 1000 tonnes of used fuel was there as of 2003. The same strategy is employed with used fuel from research reactors.

Radioactive waste management

The government of Mexico, through the Ministry of Energy is responsible for the storage and disposal of nuclear fuels and radioactive waste irrespective of their origin.

The Energy Ministry is beginning to take administrative and budgetary steps to create a national company to manage its radioactive waste. It is also planning to sign the Joint Convention on the Safety of Spent Fuel Management and on the Safety of Radioactive Waste Management.

An engineered near-surface disposal site for low-level waste (LLW) operated at Piedrera between 1985 and 1987. In that time, 20,858m3 of waste was stored.

A collection, treatment and storage centre for LLW has operated at Maquixco since 1972.

Regulation and safety

The 1984 Act on Nuclear Activities states that the government, through the Ministry of Energy, is responsible for establishing the framework for the use and development of nuclear energy and technology, in accordance with the national energy policy.

The National Commission on Nuclear Safety and Safeguards (CNSNS) is a semi-autonomous body under the authority of the Ministry of Energy which takes the role of regulator. CNSNS is responsible for ensuring the proper application of regulations and safeguards for nuclear and radiation safety and for physical protection of nuclear and radiological installations to ensure public safety.

CNSNS is also responsible for revising, evaluating and approving the criteria for the siting, design construction operation and decommissioning of nuclear installations, proposing the relevant regulations. It has the power to amend of suspend the licenses of nuclear facilities, which are granted on CNSNS approval through the Ministry of Energy.

R & D

The main nuclear research organisation in Mexico is the National Nuclear Research Institute (NNRI). NNRI have operated a 1000kW Triga Mk III research reactor since November 1968.

The University Autonoma de Zacatecas has a subcritical Chicago Modelo 900 assembly used for training, commissioned in 1969.

A Nuclear Cooperation Agreement between Mexico and Canada was signed in 1995 for the exchange of information in R&;D, health, safety, emergency planning and environmental protection. It also provides for the transfer of nuclear material, equipment and technology and the rendering of technical assistance.

Non-proliferation

The Mexican Constitution states that nuclear energy may only be used for peaceful uses and this is reiterated in the 1984 Act on Nuclear Activities.

Mexico ratified the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty in 1969 and the Additional Protocol in 2004. It is also party to the 1979 Convention on the Physical Protection of Nuclear Material, ratified in 1988. Furthermore, Mexico is the depository of the 1967 Treaty for the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons in Latin America (the Tlatelolco Treaty) and has been party to the Treaty since 1967.

[Edited on 6-6-2009 by BajaGringo]

k-rico - 6-6-2009 at 02:41 PM

I wonder where Mexico gets the enriched uranium for the reactor cores, from the US I would guess.

Uranium from the ground doesn't work, the U235/U238 ratio is too small.

That's the issue with the Iranians, they say all they want is power reactors but insist upon developing an enrichment process. If all they want is power reactors they could buy the fuel from countries that make it, like most countries that have nuclear power plants do. If they build an enrichment plant then they have the capability of highly enriching the uranium and building bombs or selling the stuff.

I also wonder how much electricity could be produced with all the fissionable material sitting in the nuclear warheads of the US and Russian arsenals. I bet the energy in one bomb could light up a bazillion light bulbs.

But turning bombs into fuel for power plants, and solving two big problems, is too logical of thing to do, probably won't happen.

[Edited on 6-6-2009 by k-rico]

gnukid - 6-6-2009 at 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by k-rico
I wonder where Mexico gets the enriched uranium for the reactor cores, from the US I would guess.

Uranium from the ground doesn't work, the U235/U238 ratio is too small.

That's the issue with the Iranians, they say all they want is power reactors but insist upon developing an enrichment process. If all they want is power reactors they could buy the fuel from countries that make it, like most countries that have nuclear power plants do. If they build an enrichment plant then they have the capability of highly enriching the uranium and building bombs or selling the stuff.

[Edited on 6-6-2009 by k-rico]

Whoa whoa K-Rico, there is no evidence to show that Iran has never developed uranium which can be utilized for Nuclear weapons.

In fact this week many articles have confirmed that Israel has admitted that they falsified the "smoking laptop" which they supposedly found suggesting otherwise-that Iran was developing nuclear weapons. And It appears Obama is using a two-faced approach of appeasement while his covert actions are directed toward regime change for Iran.

The info is available for anyone willing to read something besides Fox News?#@$!

http://dissentradio.com/radio/09_06_03_porter.mp3

http://original.antiwar.com/porter/2009/06/03/report-ties-du...

http://original.antiwar.com/justin/2009/06/02/war-with-iran-...

Report Ties Dubious Iran Nuclear Docs to Israel
by Gareth Porter, June 04, 2009

A report on Iran’s nuclear program issued by the Senate Foreign Relations Committee last month generated news stories publicizing an incendiary charge that U.S. intelligence is underestimating Iran’s progress in designing a "nuclear warhead" before the halt in nuclear weapons-related research in 2003.

That false and misleading charge from an intelligence official of a foreign country, who was not identified but was clearly Israeli, reinforces two of Israel’s key propaganda themes on Iran – that the 2007 U.S. National Intelligence Estimate on Iran is wrong, and that Tehran is poised to build nuclear weapons as soon as possible.

But it also provides new evidence that Israeli intelligence was the source of the collection of intelligence documents which have been used to accuse Iran of hiding nuclear weapons research.

The Committee report, dated May 4, cited unnamed "foreign analysts" as claiming intelligence that Iran ended its nuclear weapons-related work in 2003 because it had mastered the design and tested components of a nuclear weapon and thus didn’t need to work on it further until it had produced enough sufficient material.

That conclusion, which implies that Iran has already decided to build nuclear weapons, contradicts both the 2007 National Intelligence Estimate on Iran, and current intelligence analysis. The NIE concluded that Iran had ended nuclear weapons-related work in 2003 because of increased international scrutiny, and that it was "less determined to develop nuclear weapons than we have been judging since 2005."

The report included what appears to be a spectacular revelation from "a senior allied intelligence official" that a collection of intelligence documents supposedly obtained by U.S. intelligence in 2004 from an Iranian laptop computer includes "blueprints for a nuclear warhead."

It quotes the unnamed official as saying that the blueprints "precisely matched" similar blueprints the official’s own agency "had obtained from other sources inside Iran."

No U.S. or IAEA official has ever claimed that the so-called laptop documents included designs for a "nuclear warhead." The detailed list in a May 26, 2008 IAEA report of the contents of what have been called the "alleged studies" – intelligence documents on alleged Iranian nuclear weapons work — made no mention of any such blueprints.

In using the phrase "blueprints for a nuclear warhead," the unnamed official was evidently seeking to conflate blueprints for the reentry vehicle of the Iranian Shehab missile, which were among the alleged Iranian documents, with blueprints for nuclear weapons.

When New York Times reporters William J. Broad and David E. Sanger used the term "nuclear warhead" to refer to a reentry vehicle in a Nov. 13, 2005 story on the intelligence documents on the Iranian nuclear program, it brought sharp criticism from David Albright, the president of the Institute for Science and International Security.

"This distinction is not minor," Albright observed, "and Broad should understand the differences between the two objects, particularly when the information does not contain any words such as nuclear or nuclear warhead."

The Senate report does not identify the country for which the analyst in question works, and the Senate Foreign Relations Committee staff refused to respond to questions about the report from IPS, including the reason why the report concealed the identity of the country for which the unidentified "senior allied intelligence official" works.

Reached later in May, the author of the report, Douglas Frantz, told IPS he is under strict instructions not to speak with the news media.

After a briefing on the report for selected news media immediately after its release, however, the Associated Press reported May 6 that interviews were conducted in Israel. Frantz was apparently forbidden by Israeli officials from revealing their national affiliation as a condition for the interviews.

Frantz, a former journalist for the Los Angeles Times, had extensive contacts with high-ranking Israeli military, intelligence and foreign ministry officials before joining the Senate Foreign Relations Committee staff. He and co-author Catherine Collins conducted interviews with those Israeli officials for The Nuclear Jihadist, published in 2007. The interviews were all conducted under rules prohibiting disclosure of their identities, according to the book.

The unnamed Israeli intelligence officer’s statement that the "blueprints for a nuclear warhead" — meaning specifications for a missile reentry vehicle - were identical to "designs his agency had obtained from other sources in Iran" suggests that the documents collection which the IAEA has called "alleged studies" actually originated in Israel.

A U.S.-based nuclear weapons analyst who has followed the "alleged studies" intelligence documents closely says he understands that the documents obtained by U.S. intelligence in 2004 were not originally stored on the laptop on which they were located when they were brought in by an unidentified Iranian source, as U.S. officials have claimed to U.S. journalists.

The analyst, who insists on not being identified, says the documents were collected by an intelligence network and then assembled on a single laptop.

The anonymous Israeli intelligence official’s claim, cited in the Committee report, that the "blueprints" in the "alleged studies" collection matched documents his agency had gotten from its own source seems to confirm the analyst’s finding that Israeli intelligence assembled the documents.

German officials have said that the Mujahedin-e-Khalq or MEK, the Iranian resistance organization, brought the laptop documents collection to the attention of U.S. intelligence, as reported by IPS in February 2008. Israeli ties with the political arm of the MEK, the National Committee of Resistance in Iran (NCRI), go back to the early 1990s and include assistance to the organization in broadcasting into Iran from Paris.

The NCRI publicly revealed the existence of the Natanz uranium enrichment facility in August 2002. However, that and other intelligence apparently came from Israeli intelligence. The Israeli co-authors of The Nuclear Sphinx of Tehran, Yossi Melman and Meir Javeanfar, revealed that "Western" intelligence was "laundered" to hide its actual provenance by providing it to Iranian opposition groups, especially NCRI, in order to get it to the IAEA.

They cite U.S., British and Israeli officials as sources for the revelation.

New Yorker writer Connie Bruck wrote in a March 2006 article that an Israeli diplomat confirmed to her that Israel had found the MEK "useful" but declined to elaborate.

Israeli intelligence is also known to have been actively seeking to use alleged Iranian documents to prove that Iran had an active nuclear weapons program just at the time the intelligence documents which eventually surfaced in 2004 would have been put together.

The most revealing glimpse of Israeli use of such documents to influence international opinion on Iran’s nuclear program comes from the book by Frantz and Collins. They report that Israel’s international intelligence agency Mossad created a special unit in the summer of 2003 to carry out a campaign to provide secret briefings on the Iranian nuclear program, which sometimes included "documents from inside Iran and elsewhere."

The "alleged studies" collection of documents has never been verified as genuine by either the IAEA or by intelligence analysts. The Senate report said senior United Nations officials and foreign intelligence officials who had seen "many of the documents" in the collection of alleged Iranian military documents had told committee staff "it is impossible to rule out an elaborate intelligence ruse."

(Inter Press Service)

woody with a view - 6-6-2009 at 04:57 PM

gnu, yer killing me.

i guess obama has you believing that iran ONLY wants nukular energy, not weapons?

i'd prefer to err on the side of caution/carpet bombs!:lol:

gnukid - 6-6-2009 at 06:00 PM

There is no evidence to date of Iran building up technology for nuclear weapons. If you have any link it.

There is evidence of continued suggestions that Iran is building ip nuclear technology for weapons.

Pay attention to the difference between the suggestion and actual evidence.

The Administration has admitted, even this week, they didn't have evidence for the accusations about Iraq and they are admitting this week they have no evidence for the suggestions that Iran is building nuclear weapons.

You need to pay attention. And you might consider the ramifications of not paying attention, which has cost you and me a great deal of money, lives and seriously caused our country harm in the worldwide arena.

Its time to admit to yourself you were lied to, misled, your money has been stolen, the admin is not trustworthy and the industrial military complex has and continues to waste our resources and kill people for no reason other than profit.

If you have any evidence otherwise I would like to see it. Please. Link evidence of a threat from Iran, Iraq or Afghanistan. Go ahead?

We are in Iraq based entirely on lies, similar lies about uranium from Nigeria. Do you remember? It has been admitted to be wrong intelligence otherwise known as a lie.

I know, I know, "But we don't want the smoking gun to be a mushroom cloud." Rice.

Which was all part of lie told by Condi Rice along with Cheney, Bush, Rice, Rumsfeld et al to justify an invasion of Iraq. REMEMBER? They said there was evidence of weapons of mass distruction, evidence of purchasing uranium from nigeria, and a connection between Saddam and 911.

Now they all admit it was wrong (Lies).

They outed outed Valerie Plame the CIA agent in the process to discredit the factual evidence otherwise. Scooter Libby went to jail.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/02/opinion/02weds1.html

Cheney admits no connection to Iraq for 911
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWdq7hg4dLU

Liz Cheney continues to lie
http://rawstory.com/rawreplay/?p=3538

Iraq for sale
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6621486727392146155...

woody with a view - 6-6-2009 at 06:11 PM

i can't deny any of it....

Quote:

Its time to admit to yourself you were lied to, misled, your money has been stolen, the admin is not trustworthy and the industrial military complex has and continues to waste our resources and kill people for no reason other than profit.

and now onto the stimulus package, bailout, credit fiasco................ not to mention bringing our troops home!

gnukid - 6-6-2009 at 06:11 PM

It would be helpful to read carefully with skepticism beyond the fear filled headlines which justify aggression, invasions and imperialism.

I also believed much of what they said and supported the invasion until they admitted otherwise.

Obama Lines Up Behind Neo-Conservative Campaign Against Iran
http://www.ips.org/blog/jimlobe/?p=20

Obama advisers discuss preparations for war on Iran
http://www.wsws.org/articles/2008/nov2008/iran-n06.shtml

Obama says Iran war not off the table
http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=95022&sectionid=351...

Here's an example of a recent article which seeks to mislead further-pay atteention to the juxstaposition of criticism of Obama along with promotion of war with Iran. Totally misleading. You'll see this false criticism-push for war often.
http://thinkprogress.org/2009/06/05/obama-muslim-speech-inho...

Torturing Democracy
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1003188675654300379...

gnukid - 6-6-2009 at 06:19 PM

Why did Obama say we would leave Iraq in 18 months and now he says we wont.

Why did Obama say he would be open about the stimulas package and then he made it entirely secret? More than 14 trillion dollars? Do you realize that is more money than the world GDP, and you and I are going to pay it forever?

Why did Obama say he wouldn't allow big payouts to failed banks board members and then he went directly to push legislation to allow huge payments.

Why did Obama negotiate a forced bankruptcy of GM, take their pensions, retirement and shareholders money while giving our money to certain creditors? He overvalued GM and stole the private assets.

Why is that Obama does exactly the opposite of what he says?

And yet few pay attention?

Isn't time to possibly pay a little attention, drop the arrogance and attitude and perhaps look into these issues beyond the quick glance at Fox news or other similar news reports.

Just look into it. It is important. Peoples lives are at stake and your money.

gnukid - 6-6-2009 at 06:24 PM

Last week Obama admitted a US role in the 1953 Iran Coup. Not sure if you paid attention to that, but it is significant, though easily overlooked in his speach.
http://news.antiwar.com/2009/06/04/obama-admits-to-us-role-i...

More

Is Our "Diplomacy President" Heading the U.S. Toward War With Iran?
http://mideast.blogs.time.com/2009/05/28/is-our-diplomacy-pr...

You can see a pattern

Iran war definite if Obama wins
http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=58949

Woooosh - 6-8-2009 at 05:17 PM

Obama is the anti-christ. How else can everything apocalyptic happen in the next two years before the end of the Mayan calendar in December 2012? The end is near. He's the one... (See, I was an altar boy). Are we in ultra-secret off topic zone yet?? :saint:

gnukid - 6-8-2009 at 05:44 PM

Quote:
If I posted all this Obama stuff, boy what a ton of 'Hell' I would read!

Is it selected reading or only some conservatives get yelled at here? LOL

DK More of your backhanded insults and threats that I should receive "Hell"?

Hmmm. Lets add that to your list of intimidation.

You've gone off on tangents repeatedly, insulted many and insinuated those who defend victims of crime would be murdered?

Your actions are more than offensive. It's in fact criminal to insinuate one would be killed for defending a victim.

You have not apologized.

If you think your insidious snide commentary is somehow cool or pro-baja you are mistaken.

I appreciate that you like Baja, and that we share a love for missions and history but your sniveling comments which add nothing are in no way on topic or helpful to anyone.

If you persist I will use the letter of the law to demand you stop and no longer suggest people who defend victims of criminal behavior be murdered or that posters would receive "Hell".

What you did is something I won't tolerate nor will the board and is really criminal.

Please apologize now and take it elsewhere.

[Edited on 6-9-2009 by gnukid]

Bajaboy - 6-8-2009 at 10:20 PM

Quote:
I said I would recieve Hell if I had mentioned Obama... No killing was mentioned, what victim... huh? You got Obama mentioned dozens of times above and he has nothing to do with Baja' developing of power.

Wow, you have some kind of scary way of interpreting light hearted conversation and humor. No insults were aimed at you... :rolleyes:

DK-I agree with you that this went way into Off-Topic territory......

David K - 6-8-2009 at 10:28 PM

Thanks ZJ, but do you know why gnukid freaked-out at me? Oh well... maybe some people are getting really nervous about the changes going on and they are jumpy?

Bajaboy - 6-8-2009 at 10:47 PM

I'm pretty excited about the changes myself....

BajaBruno - 6-9-2009 at 12:40 PM

I have a question for the nuke masters......

I drive by nuke plants occasionally and those things put out a lot of steam! Is it saltwater that feeds those turbines? Is there any reason that steam couldn't be condensed into drinking water?

David K - 6-9-2009 at 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBruno
I have a question for the nuke masters......

I drive by nuke plants occasionally and those things put out a lot of steam! Is it saltwater that feeds those turbines? Is there any reason that steam couldn't be condensed into drinking water?

If on the ocean, then it is sea water used for the cooling... If on a lake, then it is lake water.

The sea/ lake water never gets close to the radiation... there is a middle cooling liquid between the two.

cantinflas - 6-9-2009 at 02:05 PM

Geez and to think I used to like reading this forum. Time to look for another.

BajaGringo - 6-9-2009 at 02:07 PM

The reactors transfer heat produced by fission in their fuel cells to the primary coolant system which carries the heat to steam generators which transfer the heat across thousands of heating tubes to the secondary system, producing steam to run the steam turbine generators. The turbine steam exhaust is condensed back to liquid form in large condensers cooled by sea water at San Onofre and other reactors located on the ocean front. The sea water does not come in direct contact with any primary fuel cells. It can be used for desalination as in this design:

YMMV

;D

[Edited on 6-9-2009 by BajaGringo]

BajaBruno - 6-9-2009 at 03:56 PM

Thanks, BG. Sounds like the solution to a couple of pressing Baja problems.

Cypress - 6-9-2009 at 04:12 PM

BajaGringo, It's much to simple and economical. The dummies in power can't wrap their wittle brains awound it.:spingrin:

mtgoat666 - 6-9-2009 at 04:15 PM

Quote:
The sea/ lake water never gets close to the radiation... there is a middle cooling liquid between the two.

except when homer nods off to sleep, and we get chernobyls and 3MIs.

Crusoe - 6-9-2009 at 05:23 PM

In Feb of 2006 we visited San Carlos and Lopez Mateos. There was a large fish processing plant running 24/7 and an attempt at a Marine Laboratory. I do not recall seeing any large generating station. Nice part of Baja! ++C++;);)

wiltonh - 6-9-2009 at 07:26 PM

If you use Google Earth and try and look this area up, you will see some small blue squares. These are pictures and one is of the plant.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/3980966

This looks like a power plant to me.

Wilton

wiltonh - 6-9-2009 at 07:29 PM

Here is another picture.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/19784670

Maybe BajaGringo can identify its fuel source?

Wilton

gnukid - 6-9-2009 at 07:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks ZJ, but do you know why gnukid freaked-out at me? Oh well... maybe some people are getting really nervous about the changes going on and they are jumpy?

Quote:
Do any of you remember ESL/ El Surfo Loco/ Chopy Chavez/ Cornell Crawford???

He spoke up like gnukid about the crooked cops, government officials, Castro family at cabo Pulmo squating on his land...

He is dead now.:no::no::no:

DK Your snide comments and insults are tiresome.

Do your yourself and everyone else a favor and find out why you insist on backhanded threats and insults. Perhaps it would something you could discuss offline with your wife who I am sure is familiar with this.

You could ask yourself why your comment that a poster mentioning Obama would receive "Hell" is unsettling and inappropriate following your prior insinuations that people who speak up would die.

Its seems a little weird DK. Instead of denying it, take it as feedback that your comments may be perceived as insinuating a threat.

[Edited on 6-10-2009 by gnukid]

David K - 6-9-2009 at 11:16 PM

That quote about Chopy is NOT in this thread... What has that got to do with you talking about Obama here (in this thread) and my commenting about it????

Keep quotes in the threads they came from, pulling them from another thread from days or weeks ago is what is known as "out of context", isn't it? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Show me any snide comments or insults to you. I will apologize.

The comment about Chopy was to HELP you sir, as you were accusing officials of wrong doing, the same thing that Chopy did... Post your part that I was responding to, not just my reply (that was made in an effort to save you from harm), sir.

gnukid - 6-9-2009 at 11:34 PM

DK Take a look at yourself. These are your statements. yes across threads, it sounds weird.

David K - 6-9-2009 at 11:37 PM

Right... do you understand now that I was looking out for you in that other thread?

You are new here and didn't know Chopy... I was telling you what happpened to him so it wouldn't happen to you, friend... That's all.

BajaGringo - 6-9-2009 at 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wiltonh
Here is another picture.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/19784670

Maybe BajaGringo can identify its fuel source?

Wilton

I took a look at the power plant in the google earth link and it is definitely not nuclear as it doesn't have the containment, support or cooling capabilities needed. You can see large storage tanks and a tall exhaust stack which makes it appear to be fired by a petroleum based fuel.

[Edited on 6-10-2009 by BajaGringo]

wiltonh - 6-10-2009 at 09:04 AM

Thanks for checking the pictures BajaGringo. That would be my guess also.

One of the people I talked to on the beach last year told me that a plant of this size needed to be located near a port where oil could be delivered by boat or barge.

The next question that we discussed last winter was, is this the only plant for BCS? Does Lapaz run from this plant?

That seems like quite a distance to send all the power that would be needed for a city the size of Lapaz.

Wilton

ElFaro - 7-5-2009 at 02:19 PM

I would like to clear up some issues and misconceptions regarding Hydroelectric, Wind, Solar, nuclear, geothermal, fossil power and how it relates to this Baja News announcement.

Nuclear - Baja will not likely see a nuclear plant in the forseeable future. Most nuclear units are built in the 1000-1500 megawatt size to be cost effective. These type of units are "base loaded" meaning they are designed to run at their max output and stay there. Baja's nothern electrical load is such that one nuclear unit would serve 75-80% of the load. If the unit went down there would not be sufficient backup to makeup the loss very quickly. Blackouts would almost be certain.

Solar (photovoltaic) - Too expensive for any large-scale usage. A "passive" source of electricity...on a small scale those who can afford it to run 120V appliances via batteries and still have the local utility gird as backup will do well.

Solar (thermal) - Again a "passive" source of electricity and expensive on a large scale but could be used by CFE to offset fossil fuel generated electricity during the day.

Hydroelectric - The Baja News announcement of a hydroelectric plant...I'll bet my bottom dollar this is a "Pump Storage" project. The use of the word "hydroelectric" is probably for public consumption. A pump storage plant basically pumps water from a lower resevoir to an upper resevoir at night when the load is low and energy prices are cheaper to run the pumps. They then release water to generate electricity during times of the day "to shave the peak load" when purchased or generated electricity is expensive.

Geothermal - CFE pretty much tapped out the Mexicali geothermal fields back in the early 1970's. The reason they don't just keep drilling more holes into the earth is due to the quality of the geothermal brine. CFE has been blessed with very low Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) in their current core wells. Additional core samples revealed the same problem we had in the Imperial Valley. Namely very high TDS in the geothermal brine. This results in rapid buildup of solids in the pipes and well tubes resulting in more drilling. The costs simply outweigh any benefits of expansion. So the Mexicali geothermal wells are currently maxed out as is cost effective.

Wind - this form of electric generation on a large scale can come in many designs. Remember...just because you see the blades spinning doesn't necessarily mean they are generating electricity. And not all wind farms are connected to the utility grid. Some of these wind machines are DC-AC generators and others are induction machines. Some are "fixed pitch blade" and others are "variable pitch" blade. Most of these wind farms are "passive" generation...meaning like solar they cannot control anything on the utility grid such as frequency, voltage, or respond to rapid changes in load or generation.

The wind farm and solar array at San Juanico doesn't look big enough to be connected to the local utility grid. Judging from the picture the wing gens look about 1kW ea. X 12 = 12kW and the solar array about 10kW so about 22kW total assuming all wind gens at top output and max solar output. So figure 50-75% load factor and enough for the local buildings there.

The wind farm along I8 in San Diego is an "induction" wind generator. These types rely on the utility grid for field excitation and frequency reference to tie into the grid. They cannot sychronize themselves onto the utility grid. If the line to the grid goes down the wind farm shuts down also.

Fossil Fuel (FF) - Two things you have to keep in mind...utility level electricity cannot be stored and people want their electricity from the utility grid "on demand", at the quantity they desire at that instant, and of a certain minimum quality. For these reasons and some other important ones...fossil fueled generation cannot be replaced by alternative energy sources. Take solar for example...it obviously doesn't do you much good at night so FF gen has to make up the difference. You can have a 500 megawatt wind farm but if the wind suddenly stops...guess what...FF gen has to step in to cover the load. Most hydroelectric, nuclear, solar, wind, and geothermal generation sources are "base loaded" meaning they are set to a fixed output and do not fluxuate. Only the FF gens are designed to handle fluxuations in frequency, voltage, gen, and loads. Also FF gen fuels (Diesel, gas, oil) are more transportable than the other above mentioned fuel sources(e.g. hydro, nuclear, geo, solar, wind).

Steam Plumes - The small steam plumes you see rising from power plants is the purging of impurities from the steam used to drive the steam turbine blades. That steam has to be absolutely pure or it is like small rocks hitting the turbine blades and causing damage over time. The big plumes of steam usually occur at startup or shutdown of a gen unit. The steam and water has to be kept moving through the boiler and heating tubes or there will be damage. Also impurities have to be purged from the system at startup.

Cooling - Power Plants will never use lake water for cooling purposes in the generation process. Remember...power plants are just big heat exchangers. The lake would absorb the heat from the power plant and then would have no way to get rid of the heat except for a small amount given off at the lake surface. The lake would soon reach the heat level of the plant fluid your trying to cool. Most power plants away from the ocean use "Cooling Towers" to dissipate heat in the generating process. Air is moved through the tower of falling water to cool it before it returns to the plant.

SKIDS - 7-5-2009 at 03:32 PM

Gnukid and Davidk both get time out. Go to your rooms and think about it !
P.S. OBAMA SUCKS !!