Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Baja California to develop wind, hydroelectric power
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2009 at 03:14 PM
Baja California to develop wind, hydroelectric power

Baja California to develop wind, hydroelectric power
By Sandra Dibble, Union-Tribune Staff Writer
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/jun/03/baja-cali...

2:00 a.m. June 3, 2009

BAJA CALIFORNIA — Baja California plans to decrease its dependence on fossil fuels by developing wind energy and hydroelectric power, the state's top environmental official said yesterday.

By 2011, alternative energy will supply 75 percent of public lighting statewide, said Socrates Bastida, Baja California's environmental protection secretary.

Bastida described the state's plans while speaking in San Diego at a cross-border forum on climate change hosted by the San Diego Association of Governments. Participants included government officials, scientists and representatives of the nonprofit sector from both countries.

Baja California is developing a wind energy park in La Rumorosa, a high plateau near the U.S. border between Tecate and Mexicali. A Mexican company, Turbo Power Services, has been awarded the contract for the initial phase of the $26 million, 10-megawatt plant, which would generate 27 million kilowatt-hours annually, enough to supply about 17,500 local residents.

Bastida said that the state is also planning the construction of a hydroelectric plant outside Tecate at Carrizo Dam. –S.D.

Sandra Dibble: (619) 293-1716;

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-3-2009 at 03:27 PM

Wow... That's great, I guess... but amazing after the realization that the wind generating turbines kill birds and the noise scares away migrating species! :rolleyes:

Why not use nuclear power...? It makes warm water that encourages sea life where the reactor's cooling water is released. :light:

Too bad the geothermal plant south of Mexicali isn't expanded instead... That's clean natural energy, like hydroelectric. :biggrin:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 6-3-2009 at 03:32 PM

$26 Million dollars to power 17,500 homes comes out to $15,000 per home. Doesn't make sense or maybe the numbers are wrong. They could crank out solar panels in under utilized maquiladoras faster and cheaper than that it would seem- without the environmental impact.
:?:

[Edited on 6-3-2009 by Woooosh]

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2009 at 03:34 PM

Yeah, nuclear power...then we could put the nuclear waste in Oceanside:lol::lol: And isn't there sea life in cold water?:light:

Woooosh
Banned

[*] posted on 6-3-2009 at 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Yeah, nuclear power...then we could put the nuclear waste in Oceanside:lol::lol: And isn't there sea life in cold water?:light:

sea life, yes... baja nomads- no.

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2009 at 03:42 PM

I didn't say anything about nuclear power being bad.....

And I don't let the President do my thinking for me...thank you very much:cool:

Woooosh
Banned

[*] posted on 6-3-2009 at 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
If nuclear power is bad, then why is Obama recommending we allow or help Iran to have nuclear power plants for energy creation... today's news.

If it is okay for his muslem friends, it must be okay for the rest of us, no?

OK- I'll take the bait. My dogs just survived rat poison- so it's my turn I guess...

BHO (he now prefers the muslim middle name inclusion) will say that Iran has the right to nuclear power so UN inspections of their existing nuclear facilities could be negotiated. If they have nothing to hide- they would allow inspections- right? If BHO had said Iran did not have that right- no progress could be made.

More nukes- less kooks! My bumper sticker from 20 years ago...

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-3-2009 at 03:52 PM

by 2011?

that's like next week, right??? all of baja?

good luck!

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 6-3-2009 at 03:52 PM

Thinking about buying one of these for Baja:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/produc...

Birds will just have to take their chances...:lol:

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-3-2009 at 03:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Then why do you want nuclear waste in Oceanside? Aren't we friends? I would never wish harm to you or your neighbors...

Why don't you want open debate of ideas...? Isn't that why you posted Sandra's article here... so we could read it and discuss it?

Free exchange of ideas is good for all of us... to hear both sides not just the state media sources on issues, right? Democracy will fail if only the big government/ anti-capitalism views are heard.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2009 at 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh
$26 Million dollars to power 17,500 homes comes out to $15,000 per home. Doesn't make sense or maybe the numbers are wrong. They could crank out solar panels in under utilized maquiladoras faster and cheaper than that it would seem- without the environmental impact.
:?:

[Edited on 6-3-2009 by Woooosh]
Nope, closer to $1,500, but the article says 'residents', not homes. Not sure exactly what they mean.

Divide the cost by 20 year average serviceable lifespan of a windmill. Raw cost is something like $0.05 kWh.

I think the world is run by C- students.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 6-3-2009 at 04:29 PM

Hydroelectric power, in a desert? :?: That'll be a neat trick.:biggrin:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2009 at 04:32 PM

Quote:
A Mexican company, Turbo Power Services, has been awarded the contract for the initial phase of the $26 million, 10-megawatt plant, which would generate 27 million kilowatt-hours annually, enough to supply about 17,500 local residents.

Since Mexicans have a habit of refering to cost etc in pesos, maybe that is what they're saying here.

As Woody mentioned....2011? It'll take them longer than that to get permits. Just more nonsense from Dreamland.
longhairedbeatnik
Banned

[*] posted on 6-3-2009 at 04:39 PM

I have always noticed that whenever a Baja official announces anything in regards to a mega project, it only happens about 20% of the time. There a bunch of windmills in Scorpion Bay that are just sitting there. I guess they were just ahead of their time ha ha .
Go nuke as its the only green energy if the do it right. The french can't be wrong, can they.:D
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2009 at 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:

Quote:

Then why do you want nuclear waste in Oceanside? Aren't we friends? I would never wish harm to you or your neighbors...

Why don't you want open debate of ideas...? Isn't that why you posted Sandra's article here... so we could read it and discuss it?

Free exchange of ideas is good for all of us... to hear both sides not just the state media sources on issues, right? Democracy will fail if only the big government/ anti-capitalism views are heard.

My point DK is that it's easy for people to say they're for nuclear power until they have to deal with the nuclear waste. Find a solution for the waste and then nuclear power might make more sense.

And when did I say anything against open debate? I am for it and in fact wish we had more of it. Our Country has this mentality that as long as everyone agrees with us then debate is good. Unfortunately, that is not the case.

I, for one, do not understand why the US feels it can pick and choose who is allowed to have nuclear power/weapons.

DK-please don't put words in my mouth....I need room to insert my foot once in awhile.

zac

Juan del Rio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2009 at 06:38 PM
Working most of the time for many years...

The "System" has had it's ups and downs, but it continues to provide power to San Juanico. It works. There is a waiting list to be connected to "the grid". Many folks in town have their own solar, but that is a big upfront cost for many folks.
They are now installing "commerical" meters for businesses.

P1100171X.JPG - 34kB
Woooosh
Banned

[*] posted on 6-3-2009 at 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Juan del Rio
The "System" has had it's ups and downs, but it continues to provide power to San Juanico. It works. There is a waiting list to be connected to "the grid". Many folks in town have their own solar, but that is a big upfront cost for many folks.
They are now installing "commerical" meters for businesses.

Hmmm. I think wind power is great for more remote areas where the "wind corridors" are (like near Palm Springs), but pretty they are not. The photo shows a ground-mounted solar panel array among the turbine towers. Which one do you want to look at all day long from your Baja retirement home.

I get 10-12mph off the ocean all day long, but I wouldn't put a 9' propeller on a mast over my house. Solar panels would be completely hidden from view- but really not cost effective for my needs yet. Just because the new wind turbines are "more quiet", it doesn't mean you won't hear it go whoop whoop whoop all day and night. Newer commercial jets are quieter too, but I wouldn't want to live near an airport. Like everything else- you need the right blend of technology and location to make it work. I hope the same people that would block a cellphone tower because it's an eyesore- wouldn't erect a bunch of these in the same place.

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 6-3-2009 at 08:37 PM
Windmills on my Mind

Woooosh has a point. We have battles up here over Cellphone towers all the time, even though, the phony Palm Trees are the best looking thing in the area.

Living in the Heart of Windmill Land, I found that they've managed to do something previously thought not possible.

They've made the Crappy-Looking Desert in the Coachella Valley around Palm Springs uglier than it already was.

AND, quiet they are not.

Given the nature of people and the fact that Wind Generators have started small wars among neighbors in Baja, I can just imagine the effect they'd have in Urban environments where neighbors shoot each other on a regular basis for things like leaving their trashcans out on the street.

Would make for great news reporting, though.

I DO own an Airpower 404 in Baja, but it's rarely used.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 6-3-2009 at 09:00 PM

A Spanish company has been buying up land south of San Quintin in 500 hectare parcels, supposedly with the idea of building wind generating farms. If you see what looks like an antenna tower out along some remote area it may be one of their test collection towers this company installed to monitor the best areas along the Baja west coast to pursue the idea. It beats fossil fuels and I doubt they will be building any nuclear power plants soon, but I wouldn't really mind. The French really do have the design down and there are methods available to recycle the plutonium waste back into reusable fuel cells.

Juan del Rio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2009 at 09:15 PM
Great Post...A real good discussion and views to share for sure!

The system was put in place many, many years before anyone moved even close to the system in San Juanico. It was, “out in the country” way back then! People moved in around it as the property prices were very, very low and a lot of land speculation was going on by both Nationals and Non-Nationals. Those folks who purchased must be ok with it. Houses are being built around and below the system. Kinda like buying a home on a large, well paved boulevard with double/double yellow lines in front of your driveway and a stop signal down the same street. Your eyes/ears must be open when you buy. I agree that the SJ system, “whoops", but it is an "old system" stuck in a salt air environment. Technology has advanced over the past ten years for sure. You all know that Baja has the possibility to develope, "tidal power" in the future? A great , emerging technology that just is getting some traction for sure!!! Either way, good or bad, the fact that Baja has so many natural, renewable resources, is a golden gem(s)/nugget(s) for sure that is now being re-discovered! Who knew? (well, almost all Baja Nomads did!). Let’s see some more action on this thread for sure!

P1100172X.JPG - 32kB
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.