BajaNomad

La Camorra Pasta Pizza & Grill - La Paz

BMG - 6-6-2009 at 11:35 AM

We've eaten here a few times now. Good food with excellent presentation and service. Portions are not huge. LingLing and I order a salad each and a pizza to share. The crust is very thin like we prefer it to be. They also bring out delicious strips of the crust as an appetizer while you're waiting with some very good bruschetta type toppings to put on it. The other night they also brought out a small appetizer that was a baked cheese with another wonderful bruschetta on it.

We went the other night with some friends and took out own bottle of wine. No corkage charge. The last restaurant we took a bottle to here quoted us M$70 as a corkage charge. The waitress brought back our open bottle and said, sorry, the charge is M$200! We told her to re-cork it!! The owner of the restaurant came over and apologized (?) and ended up charging us M$100. We decided not to go back to the Club Marlin anymore. (There, my rant is over. Back to La Camorra.)

La Camorra is located in the Cirrios Plaza on Abasolo and Juarez next to Oxxo. Would like to hear back from others who have tried some of their other meals.

Valentino salad M$85 - pricey, but good.

Camorra pizza M$60 - I could easily eat one by myself, but 1/2 with a salad and the appetizers is enough.

Hook - 6-6-2009 at 12:17 PM

GREAT looking pizza!!!

Bajahowodd - 6-6-2009 at 12:59 PM

That is really great looking food. But, seeing your photo of the front of the restaurant made me chuckle. Desayunos. Whether it's cultural or just a basic economic necessity, I've found few really nice restaurants in Mexico, regardless of the cuisine, that don't serve breakfast. NOB, the exact opposite. Can't think of a French, Italian, or Chinese restaurant that is open for breakfast.

twogringos - 6-6-2009 at 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BMG
LingLing and I order

Are you two timing Linguine?

BMG - 6-6-2009 at 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
That is really great looking food. But, seeing your photo of the front of the restaurant made me chuckle. Desayunos. Whether it's cultural or just a basic economic necessity, I've found few really nice restaurants in Mexico, regardless of the cuisine, that don't serve breakfast. NOB, the exact opposite. Can't think of a French, Italian, or Chinese restaurant that is open for breakfast.
None of the fast food chains used to be open for breakfast either, but now McDonald's makes big money on it. It may be an image issue up north, anyone open for breakfast must be a greasy spoon. From an economic standpoint, if dinner and lunch pay the rent and utilities then breakfast only has to pay for the food, labor and a bit of the electric/gas bill.

We would like to see them make it, but many restaurants come and go all the time here. We had a Vietnamese/Thai restaurant called Fussion open earlier this year. We enjoyed their food very much. Not sure how long they lasted, but it was only months. La Camorra doesn't seem very busy and the rent must be relatively high at a new plaza.

Quote:
Originally posted by twogringos

Are you two timing Linguine?
I have enough trouble one timing her, thank you very much.

Here's the menu.

BMG - 6-6-2009 at 02:31 PM

fdt - 6-6-2009 at 02:33 PM

I'm confused, are there 4?
Ling Ling, chinese?
Lingililingili, mexican?
Or Linguine and Linguini 2 italian sisters?
:saint:

BMG - 6-6-2009 at 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
Ling Ling, chinese?
Lingililingili, mexican?
Lingililingililingililingililingili (I think I put in a few too many li's) is Ana's chosen screen name. She wanted to keep it simple.

LingLing (aka Ling Ling) was coined by Sharksbaja. He wanted to keep it simple.

Linguine is what I often call her because it represents 2 things I love most. And, I like to keep it simple.

vandenberg - 6-6-2009 at 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
Ling Ling, chinese?
Lingililingili, mexican?

Ferna,

Five,
you forgot Ana.:biggrin::biggrin:

fdt - 6-6-2009 at 03:25 PM

:lol:

BajaNuts - 6-6-2009 at 03:38 PM

It seems to mee that to KISS, BajAna or BajaAna would have been simple:spingrin:

On another note, I'm wondering if anyone has ever gotten funny looks from the restaurant people when they are taking pics of the menu, food, signs, and all. I gotta wonder that some of the restaurant people might think you're out to steal their menu/concepts.

And the food looks really good! I'm starving right now waiting for relatives to arrive for a bbq.

[Edited on 6-6-2009 by BajaNuts]

Bajahowodd - 6-6-2009 at 04:15 PM

BMG- I figured it was the economic thing. Just wanted to get some input. In a certain respect, I have to figure that, especially in tourist places, restaurants that are only open for dinner are restaurants that do not really provide value to the consumer. Por ejemplo-- Los Cabos. I still don't know why anyone seeking a Mexican vacation would go to Ruth's Chris. On the bright side, someone thought that a Houlihan's would be a big deal in Cabo. Wrong.

bajajazz - 6-6-2009 at 09:51 PM

Regarding restaurants in La Paz advertising desayunos, I think it's a throwback to the time when there weren't that many places in town to get breakfast at a real, sit-down restaurant other than Los Arcos and El Taste. I often had huevos mexicana at a little stand at the entrance to the wharf and either carrot or orange juice at a stand across the street. There was a similar set up at the corner of Diez y Seis and Revolucion. Often sat next to the port captain at the time who packed a .45 inlaid with gold and mother-of-pearl, a very handsome piece. :bounce:

Hook - 6-6-2009 at 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajazz
Regarding restaurants in La Paz advertising desayunos, I think it's a throwback to the time when there weren't that many places in town to get breakfast at a real, sit-down restaurant other than Los Arcos and El Taste.

How could you ignore La Perla? How long have they been doing it?

twogringos - 9-24-2009 at 01:52 PM

We had desayunos there this morning and thought I'd bump this back up to the top. Great food, great presentation, reasonable prices. I hope they can make it through these slow times.

JESSE - 9-24-2009 at 03:24 PM

From the perspective of a local Mexican, i am really surprised about their prices, they are simply too high considering their location. If they don't lower them by at least 20% its an impossible hill to climb.

comitan - 9-24-2009 at 04:03 PM

You have to know the rents are high, in the same mini-mall Ricky Recardo's is leaving the end of the month.

longlegsinlapaz - 9-24-2009 at 04:12 PM

BMG & Linguine, you know call-a-spade-a-spade-me....sorry to report, but Morgaine7 & I stopped in there for breakfast....based solely on your recommendation. I looked over the menu & figured a shrimp omelet wouldn't have anything HOT in it. The waitress couldn't understand me (nor apparently Morgaines' Espanol!:P) so she got the cook, who did speak English I said no onions, no hot peppers, nothing hot or spicy. He said okay....I was obviously lax in omitting to mention that 1/2 cup of black pepper (possibly 3/4 cup....but I was too busy choking to take time out for a more accurate quantity check!) mixed into the eggs before cooking wouldn't be acceptable either. There was so friggin much black pepper in there that I choked on the first bite....I took a second bite to make sure it wasn't all just in one spot....choked again....the waitress studiously avoided our table & I came damn closed to finding my way back to the kitchen on my own for a piece of bread to get the pepper out of my throat. I ate the shrimp in a failed attempt to get the pepper out of my throat. I left all the rest of the omelet; I did tell the waitress I'd choked on the black pepper & the waitress informed me that black pepper is not hot!:( They didn't offer to adjust the bill for my inedible meal, so I paid, but that's the first last & only time I'll darken their doorstep.

Morgaine7, the spicy senora enjoyed her meal, naturally!:lol:

I agree with Jesse, their portions are really small compared to their prices....but maybe they expect to their patrons to just toss a $500 peso bill on the table in their rush to ER for oxygen!

Thanks for bumping this back to the top twogringos....sorry my opinion of the place is rabidly opposed to yours. More table space for you & BMG!:bounce:

tripledigitken - 9-24-2009 at 04:12 PM

I think Jesse's right, $294mx for a New York Steak? Even $192mx for a Chicken dish is very high. These are prices you could find in So Cal at a fine dining restaurant.

Breakfast prices don't seem too bad though. The pictures of the plates look very appetizing though.

Ken

Bajahowodd - 9-24-2009 at 05:18 PM

It's an all too common situation. Judging by the previous posts, this restaurant seems to be courting the non-Mexican clientele. Or, at least does not appear to be attracting Mexican clientele. Unfortunately, given the current economic situation, New businesses, restaurants, in particular, are very risky ventures. In the states, it is saddenly obvious how many young restaurants have tanked. It may be the most risky business model out there. Sad because for the most part, young, eager chefs tend to produce some of the most fabulous cuisine.

lingililingili - 9-24-2009 at 06:36 PM

Longlegs: I haven't laughed so hard as when I just read your post! You are sooooo sensitive to any spice! I'm sorry but I really like their pizza and I really like their little appetizers they put out while you are waiting for dinner and I really like that there is NO corkage fee for wine (you may not know this about me, but I do like wine)! I'm sorry your omelet was too peppery. Next time just say "quiero el omelet mas delicioso de la casa SIN pimienta o chile"!
Quote:
Originally posted by longlegsinlapaz
BMG & Linguine, you know call-a-spade-a-spade-me....sorry to report, but Morgaine7 & I stopped in there for breakfast....based solely on your recommendation. I looked over the menu & figured a shrimp omelet wouldn't have anything HOT in it. The waitress couldn't understand me (nor apparently Morgaines' Espanol!:P) so she got the cook, who did speak English I said no onions, no hot peppers, nothing hot or spicy. He said okay....I was obviously lax in omitting to mention that 1/2 cup of black pepper (possibly 3/4 cup....but I was too busy choking to take time out for a more accurate quantity check!) mixed into the eggs before cooking wouldn't be acceptable either. There was so friggin much black pepper in there that I choked on the first bite....I took a second bite to make sure it wasn't all just in one spot....choked again....the waitress studiously avoided our table & I came damn closed to finding my way back to the kitchen on my own for a piece of bread to get the pepper out of my throat. I ate the shrimp in a failed attempt to get the pepper out of my throat. I left all the rest of the omelet; I did tell the waitress I'd choked on the black pepper & the waitress informed me that black pepper is not hot!:( They didn't offer to adjust the bill for my inedible meal, so I paid, but that's the first last & only time I'll darken their doorstep.

Morgaine7, the spicy senora enjoyed her meal, naturally!:lol:

I agree with Jesse, their portions are really small compared to their prices....but maybe they expect to their patrons to just toss a $500 peso bill on the table in their rush to ER for oxygen!

Thanks for bumping this back to the top twogringos....sorry my opinion of the place is rabidly opposed to yours. More table space for you & BMG!:bounce:

BMG - 9-24-2009 at 06:37 PM

Legs - other Nomads should be clued in to your tolerance level for spicy foods. Let's just say that vanilla ice cream is about it for you unless it has the actual vanilla specks in it. Maybe your Mom should have started you out earlier in life with something that had a little kick to it.

Gerber picante.jpg - 45kB

lingililingili - 9-24-2009 at 06:56 PM

Why, yes it is. Thank you for noticing!

Quote:
Originally posted by morgaine7
Lingililingili, that's a spice in your new avatar, isn't it? :o

longlegsinlapaz - 9-24-2009 at 07:46 PM

Linguines new avatar looks like freshly sprouted maple leaves....in the Oregon rain!:yes:

BMG hurry you & get back here....we'll go for Chinese food & I'll out Chinese mustard you!:P

Glad I was able to add a whole lotta humor to your day!:(

JESSE - 9-24-2009 at 10:49 PM

La Paz is the most difficult market i have ever been involved in, in all of North America. You can afford to pick your segment in Cabo, Tijuana, San Diego, NY, or Vancouver. You cannot afford to do that here. If you don't get Mexicans wich represent about 50% of your income, your done, and same for Americans. This year for example, Mexicans have represented about 80% of our business, without them, we wouldn't be here.

BMG - 9-25-2009 at 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by BMG
We've eaten here a few times now. Good food with excellent presentation and service.

The first (and last) time I ate there, ordered chilaquiles and shortly after the order, noticed the waiter stroll out and return from the Oxxo with a plastic bag of totopos. Didn't think much of it till I received my breakfast. You guessed it... :o

--Larry

Always an issue when talking about a restaurant. Some folks will like it and others won't. So far, most people that I have talked to have had a positive experience eating at La Camorra.

We've been to one of the other highly rated restaurants in La Paz 3 different times and have not been happy with them. Almost everyone else says the place is great. Go figure.

bajajazz - 9-25-2009 at 10:59 AM

I knew a reporter in Seattle who was summarily, unexpectedly and inappropriately assigned to cover the food beat. He hadn't a clue about cuisine, had to look up the word. So he did the only thing he knew how to do -- wrote a food column on junk food restaurants. Compared the ambience of McDonalds to Carls Jr., the presentation at Arbys as opposed to Dairy Queen, the burgers at Jack In The Box to the burgers at Burger King.

I relate to that guy. I like the pizza and fettucine alfredo at Toscana, the biscuits and gravy at Baja Biscuits, the apple pie at Americanos, the burgers at Kikis and Bandidos and if I'm up for a splurge the honey glazed salmon at Tres Virgines, although I always feel a bit out of place in any context that involves virgins.

Is it just me, or have the corner food stands forgotten how to make a good hot dog? When I first came here in '87 the only consistently good food in town was at the sidewalk stands and the dogs were terrific. Most of the restaurants were crap, although Mar de Cortez (which had a dirt floor at the time) was terrific. The old mamacita there really knew how to cook. Then they paved the floor and put in a bar and that was the end of that. Ah, progress.

DENNIS - 9-25-2009 at 01:16 PM

Quote:
I've eaten chilaquiles in most every state from Chihuahua to Quintana Roo, and that was a first. :O

I thought they were supposed to be made with fresh tortillas just like enchiladas. In fact, that's what I thought they were, a disorganized enchilada. No nacho chips allowed.

JESSE - 9-25-2009 at 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
I think Jesse's right, $294mx for a New York Steak? Even $192mx for a Chicken dish is very high. These are prices you could find in So Cal at a fine dining restaurant.

Breakfast prices don't seem too bad though. The pictures of the plates look very appetizing though.

Ken

Those are Cabo prices.

JESSE - 9-25-2009 at 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by morgaine7
I thought they were supposed to be made from tortilla leftovers!

Kate

Actually, Chilaquiles are made with day old Tortillas. You leave them out of the bag spreaded over a counter so they can lose their moisture. The next day they will be a little dry, wich will make them extra crunchy when fried. If you use fresh tortillas, they wont get as crunchy, and will get mushy very quick.

comitan - 9-25-2009 at 01:47 PM

Less fat in the Sabritas.:O:lol::rolleyes:

JESSE - 9-25-2009 at 03:42 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by BMG
We had a Vietnamese/Thai restaurant called Fussion open earlier this year.

Dang! Dunno how that one slipped past-- I've been hoping for a decent Thai restaurant in La Paz for years and would've been a strong contributor to their cause. :)

-Larry

Don't worry, you didn't miss a thing, the food was average at best. Theres a new Thai lounge right next to La Pazta, but i havent heard anything yet.

Bajahowodd - 9-25-2009 at 03:47 PM

Chilaquiles made with tortilla chips = nachos.

BMG - 9-25-2009 at 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by BMG
We had a Vietnamese/Thai restaurant called Fussion open earlier this year.

Dang! Dunno how that one slipped past-- I've been hoping for a decent Thai restaurant in La Paz for years and would've been a strong contributor to their cause. :)

-Larry

Don't worry, you didn't miss a thing, the food was average at best. Theres a new Thai lounge right next to La Pazta, but i havent heard anything yet.

We ate at La Pazion in June. It was okay.

La_Pazion_Thai_June5_2009.jpg - 48kB

elizabeth - 9-25-2009 at 09:56 PM

Interesting name for an Italian restaurant...in Campania, principally Naples, the camorra is the local version of the mafia in Sicily, only older than the mafia. In the US, immigrants from the camorra and the mafia joined forces.

BMG - 9-26-2009 at 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by elizabeth
Interesting name for an Italian restaurant...in Campania, principally Naples, the camorra is the local version of the mafia in Sicily, only older than the mafia. In the US, immigrants from the camorra and the mafia joined forces.

That's the theme of the decor.

twogringos - 5-8-2010 at 12:59 PM

They have moved to restaurant row. Now located on Madero, across the street from the Buffalo BBQ.