Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: La Camorra Pasta Pizza & Grill - La Paz
BMG
Super Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 6-6-2009 at 11:35 AM
La Camorra Pasta Pizza & Grill - La Paz

We've eaten here a few times now. Good food with excellent presentation and service. Portions are not huge. LingLing and I order a salad each and a pizza to share. The crust is very thin like we prefer it to be. They also bring out delicious strips of the crust as an appetizer while you're waiting with some very good bruschetta type toppings to put on it. The other night they also brought out a small appetizer that was a baked cheese with another wonderful bruschetta on it.

We went the other night with some friends and took out own bottle of wine. No corkage charge. The last restaurant we took a bottle to here quoted us M$70 as a corkage charge. The waitress brought back our open bottle and said, sorry, the charge is M$200! We told her to re-cork it!! The owner of the restaurant came over and apologized (?) and ended up charging us M$100. We decided not to go back to the Club Marlin anymore. (There, my rant is over. Back to La Camorra.)

La Camorra is located in the Cirrios Plaza on Abasolo and Juarez next to Oxxo. Would like to hear back from others who have tried some of their other meals.

Valentino salad M$85 - pricey, but good.

Camorra pizza M$60 - I could easily eat one by myself, but 1/2 with a salad and the appetizers is enough.

I think the world is run by C- students.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 6-6-2009 at 12:17 PM

GREAT looking pizza!!!

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2009 at 12:59 PM

That is really great looking food. But, seeing your photo of the front of the restaurant made me chuckle. Desayunos. Whether it's cultural or just a basic economic necessity, I've found few really nice restaurants in Mexico, regardless of the cuisine, that don't serve breakfast. NOB, the exact opposite. Can't think of a French, Italian, or Chinese restaurant that is open for breakfast.
twogringos
Nomad

Mood: I feel more like I do now than I ever have before

[*] posted on 6-6-2009 at 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BMG
LingLing and I order

Are you two timing Linguine?
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2009 at 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
That is really great looking food. But, seeing your photo of the front of the restaurant made me chuckle. Desayunos. Whether it's cultural or just a basic economic necessity, I've found few really nice restaurants in Mexico, regardless of the cuisine, that don't serve breakfast. NOB, the exact opposite. Can't think of a French, Italian, or Chinese restaurant that is open for breakfast.
None of the fast food chains used to be open for breakfast either, but now McDonald's makes big money on it. It may be an image issue up north, anyone open for breakfast must be a greasy spoon. From an economic standpoint, if dinner and lunch pay the rent and utilities then breakfast only has to pay for the food, labor and a bit of the electric/gas bill.

We would like to see them make it, but many restaurants come and go all the time here. We had a Vietnamese/Thai restaurant called Fussion open earlier this year. We enjoyed their food very much. Not sure how long they lasted, but it was only months. La Camorra doesn't seem very busy and the rent must be relatively high at a new plaza.

Quote:
Originally posted by twogringos

Are you two timing Linguine?
I have enough trouble one timing her, thank you very much.

BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2009 at 02:31 PM
Here's the menu.

fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 6-6-2009 at 02:33 PM

I'm confused, are there 4?
Ling Ling, chinese?
Lingililingili, mexican?
Or Linguine and Linguini 2 italian sisters?
:saint:

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2009 at 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
Ling Ling, chinese?
Lingililingili, mexican?
Lingililingililingililingililingili (I think I put in a few too many li's) is Ana's chosen screen name. She wanted to keep it simple.

LingLing (aka Ling Ling) was coined by Sharksbaja. He wanted to keep it simple.

Linguine is what I often call her because it represents 2 things I love most. And, I like to keep it simple.

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 6-6-2009 at 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
Ling Ling, chinese?
Lingililingili, mexican?

Ferna,

Five,
you forgot Ana.:biggrin::biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 6-6-2009 at 03:25 PM

:lol:

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
BajaNuts
Super Nomad

Mood: no worry, no hurry....it's all good!

[*] posted on 6-6-2009 at 03:38 PM

It seems to mee that to KISS, BajAna or BajaAna would have been simple:spingrin:

On another note, I'm wondering if anyone has ever gotten funny looks from the restaurant people when they are taking pics of the menu, food, signs, and all. I gotta wonder that some of the restaurant people might think you're out to steal their menu/concepts.

And the food looks really good! I'm starving right now waiting for relatives to arrive for a bbq.

[Edited on 6-6-2009 by BajaNuts]
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2009 at 04:15 PM

BMG- I figured it was the economic thing. Just wanted to get some input. In a certain respect, I have to figure that, especially in tourist places, restaurants that are only open for dinner are restaurants that do not really provide value to the consumer. Por ejemplo-- Los Cabos. I still don't know why anyone seeking a Mexican vacation would go to Ruth's Chris. On the bright side, someone thought that a Houlihan's would be a big deal in Cabo. Wrong.
bajajazz
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2009 at 09:51 PM

Regarding restaurants in La Paz advertising desayunos, I think it's a throwback to the time when there weren't that many places in town to get breakfast at a real, sit-down restaurant other than Los Arcos and El Taste. I often had huevos mexicana at a little stand at the entrance to the wharf and either carrot or orange juice at a stand across the street. There was a similar set up at the corner of Diez y Seis and Revolucion. Often sat next to the port captain at the time who packed a .45 inlaid with gold and mother-of-pearl, a very handsome piece. :bounce:
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 6-6-2009 at 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajazz
Regarding restaurants in La Paz advertising desayunos, I think it's a throwback to the time when there weren't that many places in town to get breakfast at a real, sit-down restaurant other than Los Arcos and El Taste.

How could you ignore La Perla? How long have they been doing it?

twogringos
Nomad

Mood: I feel more like I do now than I ever have before

[*] posted on 9-24-2009 at 01:52 PM

We had desayunos there this morning and thought I'd bump this back up to the top. Great food, great presentation, reasonable prices. I hope they can make it through these slow times.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2009 at 03:24 PM

From the perspective of a local Mexican, i am really surprised about their prices, they are simply too high considering their location. If they don't lower them by at least 20% its an impossible hill to climb.

comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-24-2009 at 04:03 PM

You have to know the rents are high, in the same mini-mall Ricky Recardo's is leaving the end of the month.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2009 at 04:12 PM

BMG & Linguine, you know call-a-spade-a-spade-me....sorry to report, but Morgaine7 & I stopped in there for breakfast....based solely on your recommendation. I looked over the menu & figured a shrimp omelet wouldn't have anything HOT in it. The waitress couldn't understand me (nor apparently Morgaines' Espanol!:P) so she got the cook, who did speak English I said no onions, no hot peppers, nothing hot or spicy. He said okay....I was obviously lax in omitting to mention that 1/2 cup of black pepper (possibly 3/4 cup....but I was too busy choking to take time out for a more accurate quantity check!) mixed into the eggs before cooking wouldn't be acceptable either. There was so friggin much black pepper in there that I choked on the first bite....I took a second bite to make sure it wasn't all just in one spot....choked again....the waitress studiously avoided our table & I came damn closed to finding my way back to the kitchen on my own for a piece of bread to get the pepper out of my throat. I ate the shrimp in a failed attempt to get the pepper out of my throat. I left all the rest of the omelet; I did tell the waitress I'd choked on the black pepper & the waitress informed me that black pepper is not hot!:( They didn't offer to adjust the bill for my inedible meal, so I paid, but that's the first last & only time I'll darken their doorstep.

Morgaine7, the spicy senora enjoyed her meal, naturally!:lol:

I agree with Jesse, their portions are really small compared to their prices....but maybe they expect to their patrons to just toss a $500 peso bill on the table in their rush to ER for oxygen!

Thanks for bumping this back to the top twogringos....sorry my opinion of the place is rabidly opposed to yours. More table space for you & BMG!:bounce:
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2009 at 04:12 PM

I think Jesse's right, $294mx for a New York Steak? Even $192mx for a Chicken dish is very high. These are prices you could find in So Cal at a fine dining restaurant.

Breakfast prices don't seem too bad though. The pictures of the plates look very appetizing though.

Ken
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2009 at 05:18 PM

It's an all too common situation. Judging by the previous posts, this restaurant seems to be courting the non-Mexican clientele. Or, at least does not appear to be attracting Mexican clientele. Unfortunately, given the current economic situation, New businesses, restaurants, in particular, are very risky ventures. In the states, it is saddenly obvious how many young restaurants have tanked. It may be the most risky business model out there. Sad because for the most part, young, eager chefs tend to produce some of the most fabulous cuisine.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.