BajaNomad

baja kayak fisherman

grmpb - 7-15-2009 at 11:51 AM

what are you catching and where? i'm in bahia asuncion getiing some nice calicos near some kelp beds there's halibut around too. alot of bait fish all around but no yellows, or tuna yet.

Cypress - 7-15-2009 at 01:12 PM

grmph, I'd recommend the Pacific side. The fishing on the Sea of Cortez side? Been there. Not good.:D

grmpb - 7-15-2009 at 01:39 PM

that's where i am on the pacific

[Edited on 7-15-2009 by grmpb]

Skipjack Joe - 7-15-2009 at 01:45 PM

I think it's still early at Asuncion for yellows and tuna. That should start in september. Whenever I've fished Asuncion in July and Aug - it's calicos and halibut.

comitan - 7-15-2009 at 01:45 PM

Cypress
Here one from the gulf.

P6050062.JPG - 39kB

baitcast - 7-15-2009 at 01:52 PM

Cypress you better stick to shell-crackers:lol:
Rob

Cypress - 7-15-2009 at 02:22 PM

baitcast, Good advice. Thanks.:yes:

maspacifico - 7-15-2009 at 03:19 PM

Hey Cypress......I must have missed what happened to you on the Sea of Cortez. Was it a REALLY BAD fishing trip? You are as predictable as Skeet. Left wing/Right wing kind of knee jerk responses. The truth is in the middle. Lighten up.

Cypress - 7-15-2009 at 03:52 PM

maspacifico, Spent 4 months fishing down there. It was sad. Only being honest. Predictable? You bet! I'll tell it like it is. :bounce:

maspacifico - 7-15-2009 at 04:45 PM

Bummer. Makes me feel a little better about not getting a strike the two times I've been out this week. Where were you fishing?

Sorry for the hijack

maspacifico - 7-15-2009 at 05:10 PM

I'm on the East Cape, south of Los Frailes. Lots of Dorado around three weeks ago, former Hurricane Andres sent 7 days of hard south wind and turned the water cold and green. I've only been out three times since then and not done much. There are lots of roosterfish and jacks in close if that's what you want.

DSCN5933.JPG - 42kB

Don Alley - 7-15-2009 at 05:11 PM

I have a Fish'nDive at Loreto. I fish almost exclusively with jigs from it, near shore. Mostly small reef fish. It's usually a little scratchy, but I get by. Mostly small cabrilla, but some decent barred pargo, hogfish, lots of ladyfish in the summer, maybe jack crevalle, tijereta (creole fish), sometimes barrilete if I'm lucky, big squid (not recommended from kayaks, lol) some snappers... It's an especially good way to "species fish," in other words, try to catch a lot of different species of fish, and not worry if they are small, not bragging size/type. But weird or ugly is good. :biggrin:

Access is getting to be a problem. I use my panga more now.

kayak fishing

BajaDanD - 7-15-2009 at 10:09 PM

My plan is to be in Asuncion in late Oct /early Nov to catch Tuna from my Kayak. I have 11 days off and plan to spend 5 in Asuncion. Right now Im sitting in AZ. wishing i was out on my Kayak catching anything.

[Edited on 7-16-2009 by BajaDanD]

Geo_Skip - 7-16-2009 at 12:27 AM

Keep up the good work...but please..please let us infrequent visitors in on your method...Please. I had some (minor) success with calicos off San Roque with a guide Shari hooked me up with( my first trip to Asuncion after many to the Cabo and Sea of Cortez)... We fished with two hook bait over a heavy sinker...cast from the break zone to deeper water. Cool on a hot day...Best "luck ' wading way out into the surf to cast onto the line just beyond the kelp line but near the rocks to one side or the other

Would have been much easier from a kayak outside the surf line.... Casting in as my bait was forced closer in with every wave while shore casting.

Still lots of fun, worth every minute and a change from high elevation Sierra Nevada Lakes and streams (above 3,000 meters...leaving again in four weeks).

I got spoiled in Baja Asuncion. Devil take me, but yellow tail taste so much better than trout... even native cutthroats...Of course the number of Canadians about and libations may have biased my judgment. I am willing to be biased again. And again....................

Cypress - 7-16-2009 at 05:40 AM

maspcifico, Was fishing the Mulege area, during the winter months. Attempting to catch bottom fish. Used cut bait and various lures. Some locations had lots of small trigger fish.

baitcast - 7-16-2009 at 06:59 AM

Cypress the formula for sucess in Baja is as it is everywhere else is.........TxLxP=S

Timing x Location x Presention = Sucess

First you blew it on the timing,Location should have been good but for the timing,your presention obviously sucks but again for the timing!

I have found over the years timing is the most important,when its right everyone can get them even you:lol:

I told you to find a mentor did you do that? It takes a while to learn the water no matter your at,you thought you would down there and just knock them out probably using the same methods you used in Priest River:lol:

A bad day on the gulf is better than a good day most anywhere else,one of my best trips was just two years ago at BOLA,there is always something to fish for if the timing is close to being right But you must know how and thats your problem.

Experience catching shell=crackers will not help you in the gulf!!

Its a shame things didn,t work out better for you,you left just when it was warming up,but again its that timing thing!!
Rob

Cypress - 7-16-2009 at 07:04 AM

baitcast, Thanks for the advice. I'll try to remember. :biggrin:

shari - 7-16-2009 at 08:32 AM

Sr.Grumpb has been reelin in some nice calicos in the sargasal (kelp patty) in front of our place...here are some examples...these babies had some pretty skookum eyes on em...yummmy! and were so fat and stuffed full of sardinas.

[Edited on 7-16-2009 by shari]

baitcast - 7-16-2009 at 09:15 AM

Skookum,haven,t seen that in a long time,but eyes:o:lol:
Rob

shari - 7-16-2009 at 10:35 AM

I'll take the smaller halibut and being able to go to the beach any day of the year thank you very much:lol:

BFS - 7-16-2009 at 11:43 AM

Sierras all over the place at the moment

[Edited on 7-16-2009 by aqbluegreen]

[Edited on 7-16-2009 by aqbluegreen]

IMG_1526.jpg - 46kB

Cypress - 7-16-2009 at 11:49 AM

aqbluegreen, Nice one! One of my favorite fish. Thanks for the photo.:D

baitcast - 7-16-2009 at 01:51 PM

What do you suppose this guy would think when he looked up and saw a couple of nice black legs with fins just aching to get bit:o

oldjack - 7-16-2009 at 03:18 PM

is that one of them shellcrackers???

Cypress - 7-16-2009 at 03:20 PM

oldjack, :lol:

Skipjack Joe - 7-16-2009 at 03:47 PM

Sierras on a fly rod?

Nothing could be finer.

comitan - 7-16-2009 at 04:21 PM

aqbluegreen Todos Santos

Skipjack Joe - 7-17-2009 at 09:07 AM

Those kayakers are on to something ...

hbAug1_3000001.jpg - 35kB

Skipjack Joe - 7-17-2009 at 09:10 AM

I wouldn't try this from a belly boat....

gribbons300a0001.jpg - 44kB

baitcast - 7-17-2009 at 09:20 AM

Kinda reminds me of the time,"towed to sea by a great fish".........what say you Igor.
Rob

Skipjack Joe - 7-17-2009 at 10:11 AM

I say the biggest advantage they have is - silence. In freshwater you can pretty much forget getting for about 15 minutes after powering into a spot with your motor. But with float tubes I've had fish rising 30 feet from me for long periods of time. They don't get spooked by what they see underwater but as soon as you stand up - they're gone. I would think the same advantages probably hold true for those calicos in the kelp beds.

The other thing I like about belly boats and kayaks is being down that far in the water. It's great to pull one up alongside you next to your waist. Fishing becomes a more personal experience. It's like the polar opposite of what those guys experience on those long-range boats, using 8 foot gaffs. Simpler is usually better.

maspacifico - 7-17-2009 at 11:45 AM

I've never float tubed but it looks great for inshore fishing as long as there is a good launch spot. Not so sure about having my footsies dangling with a thrashing 10 pound fish that has a mouthful of treble hooks! That's the scariest part of kayak fishing for me anyway. They are too close to you. As far a sneaking up on things I think that works both ways. Sometimes you want what you are after to look up and see your little chunk of plastic. The only time I fish from a boat now is when I want some company, there is nothing like being towed around for half an hour!

Sneaky

maspacifico - 7-18-2009 at 09:23 AM

Snuck up on this one this morning. 37 pounds. The cats actually looked at me this morning. Been a while.

Memory

maspacifico - 7-18-2009 at 09:26 AM

Forgot, reposted, Nomads told me I had to wait 120 seconds. Hope this works!

IMG_1493.JPG - 38kB

baitcast - 7-18-2009 at 10:03 AM

Donde? like those tails on the fence,great stuff.
Rob
Also like all this action in my favorite section.

[Edited on 7-18-2009 by baitcast]

maspacifico - 7-18-2009 at 11:04 AM

The tails add something, don't they! Not sure my wife agrees though. Close to Los Frailes, about a mile out. Sardine rapala xrap with 15lb flourocarbon leader.

baitcast - 7-18-2009 at 12:39 PM

How long a tow was it:lol: What fun!
Rob

Cypress - 7-18-2009 at 12:54 PM

Those small halibut are called "chicken halibuts" up north. Mighty good any way you cook 'em.:yes:

maspacifico - 7-18-2009 at 04:18 PM

Cypress
Do those big ones get tough tasting? Always wondered about that.

Baitcast
I think it pulled me around for about 15 minutes then did the straight down and around in circles thing for another 15 minutes. Almost spooled me before I got the kayak going in his direction!

Cypress - 7-18-2009 at 04:21 PM

maspcifico, No. The big ones and the small ones are all good. They don't get coarse and tough like some fish.:D

Bwana_John - 7-19-2009 at 07:37 AM

I like kayak huntin, fishin, and gatherin! A nice cabrilla shot off Punta Willard

I dont really fish, I just paddle around trailing a Krock on a steel leader.

Night fishin and divin is fun too!

[Edited on 7-19-2009 by Bwana_John]