Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: baja kayak fisherman
grmpb
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2009 at 11:51 AM
baja kayak fisherman

what are you catching and where? i'm in bahia asuncion getiing some nice calicos near some kelp beds there's halibut around too. alot of bait fish all around but no yellows, or tuna yet.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 7-15-2009 at 01:12 PM

grmph, I'd recommend the Pacific side. The fishing on the Sea of Cortez side? Been there. Not good.:D
grmpb
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2009 at 01:39 PM

that's where i am on the pacific

[Edited on 7-15-2009 by grmpb]
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2009 at 01:45 PM

I think it's still early at Asuncion for yellows and tuna. That should start in september. Whenever I've fished Asuncion in July and Aug - it's calicos and halibut.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 7-15-2009 at 01:45 PM

Cypress
Here one from the gulf.

P6050062.JPG - 39kB

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 7-15-2009 at 01:52 PM

Cypress you better stick to shell-crackers:lol:
Rob
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2009 at 02:22 PM

baitcast, Good advice. Thanks.:yes:
maspacifico
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2009 at 03:19 PM

Hey Cypress......I must have missed what happened to you on the Sea of Cortez. Was it a REALLY BAD fishing trip? You are as predictable as Skeet. Left wing/Right wing kind of knee jerk responses. The truth is in the middle. Lighten up.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2009 at 03:52 PM

maspacifico, Spent 4 months fishing down there. It was sad. Only being honest. Predictable? You bet! I'll tell it like it is. :bounce:
maspacifico
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2009 at 04:45 PM

Bummer. Makes me feel a little better about not getting a strike the two times I've been out this week. Where were you fishing?
maspacifico
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2009 at 05:10 PM
Sorry for the hijack

I'm on the East Cape, south of Los Frailes. Lots of Dorado around three weeks ago, former Hurricane Andres sent 7 days of hard south wind and turned the water cold and green. I've only been out three times since then and not done much. There are lots of roosterfish and jacks in close if that's what you want.

DSCN5933.JPG - 42kB
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2009 at 05:11 PM

I have a Fish'nDive at Loreto. I fish almost exclusively with jigs from it, near shore. Mostly small reef fish. It's usually a little scratchy, but I get by. Mostly small cabrilla, but some decent barred pargo, hogfish, lots of ladyfish in the summer, maybe jack crevalle, tijereta (creole fish), sometimes barrilete if I'm lucky, big squid (not recommended from kayaks, lol) some snappers... It's an especially good way to "species fish," in other words, try to catch a lot of different species of fish, and not worry if they are small, not bragging size/type. But weird or ugly is good. :biggrin:

Access is getting to be a problem. I use my panga more now.

BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

sad.gif posted on 7-15-2009 at 10:09 PM
kayak fishing

My plan is to be in Asuncion in late Oct /early Nov to catch Tuna from my Kayak. I have 11 days off and plan to spend 5 in Asuncion. Right now Im sitting in AZ. wishing i was out on my Kayak catching anything.

[Edited on 7-16-2009 by BajaDanD]
Geo_Skip
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2009 at 12:27 AM

Keep up the good work...but please..please let us infrequent visitors in on your method...Please. I had some (minor) success with calicos off San Roque with a guide Shari hooked me up with( my first trip to Asuncion after many to the Cabo and Sea of Cortez)... We fished with two hook bait over a heavy sinker...cast from the break zone to deeper water. Cool on a hot day...Best "luck ' wading way out into the surf to cast onto the line just beyond the kelp line but near the rocks to one side or the other

Would have been much easier from a kayak outside the surf line.... Casting in as my bait was forced closer in with every wave while shore casting.

Still lots of fun, worth every minute and a change from high elevation Sierra Nevada Lakes and streams (above 3,000 meters...leaving again in four weeks).

I got spoiled in Baja Asuncion. Devil take me, but yellow tail taste so much better than trout... even native cutthroats...Of course the number of Canadians about and libations may have biased my judgment. I am willing to be biased again. And again....................
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2009 at 05:40 AM

maspcifico, Was fishing the Mulege area, during the winter months. Attempting to catch bottom fish. Used cut bait and various lures. Some locations had lots of small trigger fish.
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2009 at 06:59 AM

Cypress the formula for sucess in Baja is as it is everywhere else is.........TxLxP=S

Timing x Location x Presention = Sucess

First you blew it on the timing,Location should have been good but for the timing,your presention obviously sucks but again for the timing!

I have found over the years timing is the most important,when its right everyone can get them even you:lol:

I told you to find a mentor did you do that? It takes a while to learn the water no matter your at,you thought you would down there and just knock them out probably using the same methods you used in Priest River:lol:

A bad day on the gulf is better than a good day most anywhere else,one of my best trips was just two years ago at BOLA,there is always something to fish for if the timing is close to being right But you must know how and thats your problem.

Experience catching shell=crackers will not help you in the gulf!!

Its a shame things didn,t work out better for you,you left just when it was warming up,but again its that timing thing!!
Rob
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2009 at 07:04 AM

baitcast, Thanks for the advice. I'll try to remember. :biggrin:
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-16-2009 at 08:32 AM

Sr.Grumpb has been reelin in some nice calicos in the sargasal (kelp patty) in front of our place...here are some examples...these babies had some pretty skookum eyes on em...yummmy! and were so fat and stuffed full of sardinas.

[Edited on 7-16-2009 by shari]

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2009 at 09:15 AM

Skookum,haven,t seen that in a long time,but eyes:o:lol:
Rob
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-16-2009 at 10:35 AM

I'll take the smaller halibut and being able to go to the beach any day of the year thank you very much:lol:

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.