BajaNomad

Baja 709-2: Day 3 and Day 4: Bob & Susan's Playa Frambes Resort with Fun in the Sun

David K - 7-27-2009 at 07:11 PM

Day 3 (Monday July 20)

This report is continued from DAY 1 & 2 at: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=40348

Ignacio Springs is a bed & breakfast, and what a breakfast it is! ‘Canadian style’ breakfast is served because Gary and Terry are from the Great White North, eh? We said our good byes, got on the road at 11:20, took a drive through town (see San Ignacio mission photos from 2007 trip: http://vivabaja.com/707/page9.html ), bought some beer (Tecate this time). A six pack for 55 pesos (US $4.15) from a small store on Hwy. 1.

(yah, this is BAJA!)

The drive to Santa Rosalia was easy and took only 50 minutes. No accidents on the cuestas, like last time. Intending on going to the recommended Pemex station, I pulled into one on the left (the ‘bad’ ones are both on the right). After getting gasoline from a friendly lady attendant, we drove on a short ways to discover ANOTHER station on the left (next to the harbor), which was where I wanted to go! Checking my mileage figures later, I believe the pump shorted me about 10%. On the way north, we went to the ‘good’ station and got the correct amount pumped. No other Pemex station during this trip was a problem.

We headed straight for Playa Frambes (Bob & Susan’s) Lighthouse Resort, about 9 miles south of Mulege, near the Km. 118 marker. It is well signed and shares the same access road with Los Narranjos and other properties. We were really thrilled at the personalized welcome and direction signs Bob placed along the way!

Bob & Susan have the most outstanding little luxury resort you may ever experience. The place is in A-1 condition, clean as a whistle, and everything works thanks to Bob & Susan’s desire for excellence and the outstanding assistance by their #1 staff member, Marta who cooks a great breakfast, cleans, sees that the guests are comfortable, and is always smiling!

Frambes from the bay

Dining area

Bar

The photos tell it all… but where else in Baja are there air conditioned rooms furnished in bamboo from Bali, just steps from a fresh water pool with a view of the beautiful Bahia Concepcion? We want to thank Bob & Susan for making or first anniversary vacation so special with their hospitality and accommodations.

Photos from east side the lighthouse (north to south):

The layout at Playa Frambes Lighthouse Resort is 5 casitas and the lighthouse. One casita serves as the kitchen/ dining room/ bar, the others are 2 bedroom suites with two or three available for resort guests plus the lighthouse with a smaller bed and bathroom inside for a unique place to stay. See the web site at http://mulege.org

Photos of our casita:

For dinner, Elizabeth and I drove to Mulege and out to El Patron at the end of the north river road, on the beach… outstanding atmosphere and food. We had an order of guacamole dip, a fresh scallop c-cktail, a garlic shrimp dinner and I had the shrimp and cheese taco plate… with 4 Pacificos, 460 pesos (US $34.74) + tip. VIVA BAJA!

We stopped and picked up an 8 pack of Pacifico for 70 pesos (US $5.29)… an 8 pack! I love Mexico! Back to Playa Frambes for the first night we go!

See below for Day 4: Fun and relaxing at Playa Frambes and a drive to Buenaventura at the suggestion of Nomad lurker Jim from Oceanside, who we met while in Bob & Susan's pool!

[Edited on 8-1-2009 by David K]

Curt63 - 7-27-2009 at 07:19 PM

Awesome post and pics Thanks!

DAY 4: Fun in the sun!

David K - 7-27-2009 at 08:14 PM

Day 4

Just some fun in the sun today! While we were in the pool a gringo came over and chatted with Susan about the pool… He introduced himself as Jim from Oceanside… CALIFORNIA (just in case we didn’t know the place, lol). It turns out we live about 2 miles from Jim off the same street! A bit later, we are talking about our past trips to Baja and hearing about some of the ‘good old days’ asked if we knew about David K’s posts and web site! It was all good fun meeting Jim who reads Nomad.

Jim was renting one of the homes owned by Olivia and Mark at Buenaventura and knows them well for many years and assured us that the crazy stories posted on Nomad were lies. He then suggested we come down there and meet Mark and Olivia to see for ourselves.

We said we would come by later, and did… Just as the sun was setting we met Mark and Olivia who were sitting with Jim and another beach guest having some wine and guacamole. They invited Elizabeth and I to join them and we talked about some of the tall tales being said and how impossible it would be to even try and do what someone who isn’t even there has claimed!

On Day 6 we returned to Buenaventura to try their famous cheeseburger and fries. Mark (‘Oliguacomole’ on Nomad) consented to having his photo with me, and posting on Nomad so those who aren’t sure can see he is a ‘real’ person!

'David K' and 'OLIGAUCOMOLE' on Day 6 (7-23-09)

To be continued…

[Edited on 7-28-2009 by David K]

norte - 7-27-2009 at 08:21 PM

Now there is a real pair.... Many cheesburgers I am sure. But after one day do are you always so trusting? Enough to trust you life to?

David K - 7-27-2009 at 08:25 PM

I listen to people in person, and face to face means more than typed words by a stranger who has no past history with other real people on Nomad.

Von - 7-27-2009 at 08:38 PM

Oliguacamole those are awesome pics David! love all off them my friend so coollllllllllllllllllllllllllllll:yes:

Norte

BajaRob - 7-27-2009 at 08:50 PM

WTF. Get a life or crawl back under your rock.
Great photos and report David. You guys look so happy as I know that you are. Good on ya.

Bajaboy - 7-27-2009 at 08:52 PM

DK-

Digging the haircut....

David K - 7-27-2009 at 10:46 PM

Thanks Zac... it is cool like yours, yes?

nancywinpdx - 7-27-2009 at 11:04 PM

Wow!!! Those photos are gorgeous, especially the 2nd one. Where is that?

[Edited on 7-28-2009 by nancywinpdx]

Sharksbaja - 7-28-2009 at 12:50 AM

Good report and perspective David. You da man for Nomad stuff! Good quality pics too! Did you camp on the BOC beaches?

Cypress - 7-28-2009 at 04:35 AM

David K. Thanks. Looking forward to the rest of your report.

David K - 7-28-2009 at 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by nancywinpdx

Hi Nancy, I am placing the photos in order with the text of my report... the first two photos are at Ignacio Springs Bed & Breakfast http://ignaciosprings.com in San Ignacio, BCS.

Thanks for the nice words!

Here is the view looking east from the San Ignacio entrance road where it crosses the river. Ignacio Springs is on the left in this photo... (looks more like the Amazon than Baja, huh?)

David K - 7-28-2009 at 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Good report and perspective David. You da man for Nomad stuff! Good quality pics too! Did you camp on the BOC beaches?

Thanks Corky,

Yes, we camped one night on Bahia Concepcion... at La Perla, just south of Requeson... see photos on the Day 6 post... it was beautiful!

David K - 7-28-2009 at 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
David K. Thanks. Looking forward to the rest of your report.

Thanks... stay tuned for photos/ details of mission sites. Included are San Juan Bautista Londo, Loreto, Ligui, San Javier, Magdalena, San Borja... and more!

Udo - 7-28-2009 at 07:50 AM

Only David and I take photos of the bathrooms in the places we stay. Supreb photos David (all of them), I know what kind of time-consuming work it is to post photos here on Nomads.

David K - 7-28-2009 at 07:54 AM

Gracias Amigo Udo!

MORE DAY 4

David K - 7-28-2009 at 08:22 AM

Bob and Susan launch the HobieCat...

Afternoon clouds over the sierra...

Sunset at Playa Buenaventura...

To be continued with Day 5 to Loreto with photos along Bahia Concepcion, mission visita of San Juan Bautista Londo, Loreto and more!

Oh, and Bob is one COOL DUDE!:

[Edited on 7-28-2009 by David K]

nancywinpdx - 7-28-2009 at 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:

Hi Nancy, I am placing the photos in order with the text of my report... the first two photos are at Ignacio Springs Bed & Breakfast http://ignaciosprings.com in San Ignacio, BCS.

Thanks for the nice words!

Here is the view looking east from the San Ignacio entrance road where it crosses the river. Ignacio Springs is on the left in this photo... (looks more like the Amazon than Baja, huh?)

yeah it does!!! I wanna go there some day. I like greenery, water, the tropical, verdant look. To me, that is true paradise!

I'm not too crazy about the dessert, but that part is stunningly gorgeous! Wow! :)
Thanks for this additional pic and that you're always posting wonderful ones for us. I enjoy them a lot.

I forgot to thank you for the link. I saved it!

toneart - 7-28-2009 at 09:53 AM

Great trip report and photos, David! Bob and Susan are good people and their resort hotel is the perfect destination in which to spend your anniversary. Did you see the room up in the lighthouse? It is smaller than the casitas, but would be a fun place to stay, I would think.

Your photos of San Ignacio Lagoon sure does look like the Amazon. It looks cool and peaceful too. I'd be wary crocodiles and Piranha Fish while swimming, even though I know there are none there.:o

I'm glad you also got to El Patron...one of the best! Was Tim there?

Looking forward to more.
Salud!

Tony

DENNIS - 7-28-2009 at 10:03 AM

WOW....Bob and Susan really put it all together, didn't they. What a beautiful place to call home. Watching the construction as it happened here on Nomad....whodathunk it would turn out as well as it did. I'm really impressed.

nancywinpdx - 7-28-2009 at 11:06 AM

I'd be thinkin' of scary critters in the agua too!

David: That sunset pic at Buena Ventura is one of the prettiest sunset pictures I've ever seen! Great shot!

Bajahowodd - 7-28-2009 at 12:02 PM

Thanks, David. Waiting for more. I am struck by the contrast. Not knocking El Patron. The food looked fantastic. But your photos show starkly where the first and third world meet. Bob & Susan's place is gorgeous, and such a contrast to the plywood and resin furniture at El Patron. Things to love about Baja.

By the way, early in your post, I saw that you bought a six pack. Later, you got an eight pack. Don't know how long it will last, but the two big beer giants have been competing with eight packs for the price of six. What a deal!

David K - 7-28-2009 at 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Great trip report and photos, David! Bob and Susan are good people and their resort hotel is the perfect destination in which to spend your anniversary. Did you see the room up in the lighthouse? It is smaller than the casitas, but would be a fun place to stay, I would think.

Your photos of San Ignacio Lagoon sure does look like the Amazon. It looks cool and peaceful too. I'd be wary crocodiles and Piranha Fish while swimming, even though I know there are none there.:o

I'm glad you also got to El Patron...one of the best! Was Tim there?

Looking forward to more.
Salud!

Tony

Thank you for the kind words Tony! The only people we have interacted with at El Patron were waitresses, so I don't know who Tim is.

David K - 7-28-2009 at 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
WOW....Bob and Susan really put it all together, didn't they. What a beautiful place to call home. Watching the construction as it happened here on Nomad....whodathunk it would turn out as well as it did. I'm really impressed.

Yes it is Dennis! Bob has done a great job at making it happen and keeping it nice.

David K - 7-28-2009 at 02:40 PM

Quote:
I'd be thinkin' of scary critters in the agua too!

David: That sunset pic at Buena Ventura is one of the prettiest sunset pictures I've ever seen! Great shot!

Thanks! It can't be me, so the credit goes to Canon! :light::lol:

David K - 7-28-2009 at 03:11 PM

The next part of the report is posted, DAY 5, AM ... here: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=40382

ELINVESTIG8R - 7-28-2009 at 03:21 PM

David K. Great report and pictures. Keep them coming.