BajaNomad

Who's going to the Baja1000 this year?

Kell-Baja - 9-25-2009 at 03:15 PM

Just curious as to how many nomads will be attending the Baja 1000 this year????

Von - 9-25-2009 at 04:08 PM

Ofcourse me~~

I'm looking to go for the first time.

bryanmckenzie - 9-25-2009 at 04:30 PM

I'm solo and also looking to maybe tag along with someone or a group. Otherwise I was thinking of staying at Coyote Cal's Hostel at Ejido Erindria for a few nights and watch the race from their rooftop balconies while sipping Margaritas & Tecate ... http://www.coyotecals.com/

duke62 - 9-26-2009 at 01:25 AM

Are they doing the loop again, as opposed to going straight down to the tip? Anyone know?

If the loop, again, I think by the time they got to Erendira last year, it was dark, and late at night, as it was the home stretch before the finish in Ensenada.

David K - 9-26-2009 at 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bryanmckenzie
I'm solo and also looking to maybe tag along with someone or a group. Otherwise I was thinking of staying at Coyote Cal's Hostel at Ejido Erindria for a few nights and watch the race from their rooftop balconies while sipping Margaritas & Tecate ... http://www.coyotecals.com/

Do you know the course already???

TMW - 9-26-2009 at 10:06 AM

Last I heard thru the grapevine is that it is a loop basically using the first 200 miles of the 500 course to Borrego then south for a San Felipe loop and back to the 500 course to finish in Ensenada. Probably somewhere in the 650 mile range.

Yes I will be going as usual either pitting chasing or watching. Did I tell you my buddy Bill and I were in the Baja 1000 video last year. It's a helo camera as the first Throphy Truck #8 (LR) is getting to Diablo Dry Lake. We're standing on the side of the course on a sand hill.

Bajahowodd - 9-26-2009 at 12:47 PM

Ah! The mention of Coyote Cal's. Haven't been there in years. Got nostalgic and checked out their web site. There is a glaring bit of misinformation on their site wherein they state specifically that FM-t is not needed to visit them.

estebanis - 9-26-2009 at 02:11 PM

I sure hope the loop rumors are right! I will be watching from my driveway about a 1/2 mile south of Coyote Cal's. Rick has been going through a very rough time and could sure use the bussiness. He got married to a Thai gal and had a baby who has been very ill. Rick is spending a lot of time in San Diego at the hospital.
As far as the misinformation about the FMT you can send a note via the link on the website or just tell him over Margaritas and Tecaca's at the Barefoot Bar...:bounce:
Esteban

[Edited on 9-26-2009 by estebanis]

Martyman - 9-28-2009 at 09:01 AM

Thanks for reminding me of the worst night of my life. Just as I'd be nodding out here comes another sand rail or motorcycle. Didn't sleep a wink.

Cyanide41 - 9-28-2009 at 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman
Thanks for reminding me of the worst night of my life. Just as I'd be nodding out here comes another sand rail or motorcycle. Didn't sleep a wink.

If not being able to sleep because of vehicles roaring by has been the worst night of your life, then you should consider yourself lucky.

David K - 9-28-2009 at 12:52 PM

Trying to sleep along ANY race course, during a race is kind of silly... Unless you sleep well with that noise.:O

I suggest anyone not into the sport stay away from the race course, during the race... simple!:light:

Cypress - 9-28-2009 at 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Trying to sleep along ANY race course, during a race is kind of silly... Unless you sleep well with that noise.:O

I suggest anyone not into the sport stay away from the race course, during the race... simple!:light:
Agree!

Baja&Back - 9-28-2009 at 02:11 PM

Last year we stayed with Ricardo at Campo Playa RV park (only RV park right in town) campo_playa_sa@hotmail.com. 1/2 dozen race teams stayed there, including McMillan buggies. Made lotsa new friends.
3 block walk to the start line (and finish this year). Same distance to the bridge where they drop down into the arroyo. Great spot to watch! You can see the rigs on the street, in the dirt & over the jump.

David K - 9-28-2009 at 05:31 PM

For the non-racing crowd: this would be in ENSENADA... the usual (but not always) start of the Baja 1000 and Baja 500.

estebanis - 9-28-2009 at 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman

I just use earplugs. I am 100 feet off the course in my fifth Wheel and can still hear the cars a bit but not enough to keep me awake. When I would pit on the course and am sleeping I use something to keep the lights out of my eyes also.
Esteban

TMW - 10-1-2009 at 07:09 AM

Hearing rumors that the McMillin's will be racing the 1000 this year.

Bwana_John - 10-1-2009 at 08:22 AM

Oh Crap! I do not like to travel during the race, when is it?

Okay...1000 what?

Pompano - 10-1-2009 at 08:29 AM

If this is a beer-drinking contest, count me in.

And my dog.

[Edited on 10-1-2009 by Pompano]

David K - 10-1-2009 at 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bwana_John
Oh Crap! I do not like to travel during the race, when is it?

The web site for SCORE is http://www.score-international.com

Tecate SCORE Baja 1000
November 19 2009 to November 22 2009

(this means Tech/ Registration is the 19th and the race begins the 20th and for some will continue into the 21st. Trophy presentation on the 22nd.)

[Edited on 10-1-2009 by David K]

Bwana_John - 10-1-2009 at 09:39 AM

Quote:
Tecate SCORE Baja 1000 November 19 2009 to November 22 2009

OHHH NOOOO!:no:

The very weekend we were going to be traveling south thru San Felipe.

Looks like Death Valley instead of Baja for thanksgiving.

OK, this means we are going to Baja at the end of Oct instead! :biggrin:

Thanks for the info David.

David K - 10-1-2009 at 10:31 AM

Why is that a problem? The race is not going any further south than San Felipe... Is it crowds you want to avoid? Baja tourism has been suffering... nobody going... Even during the races, much fewer involved than years past. Thanksgiving is not until the following Thursday weekend...

Still waiting to see the course map, but the rumor is a loop event between Ensenada and San Felipe.

capt. mike - 10-1-2009 at 12:14 PM

wish it went by gonzaga. that was fun to watch at night.

David K - 10-1-2009 at 01:53 PM

Never again Mike... at least that would be my guess as they are paving the road south of Puertecitos... and there isn't room for a parallel dirt route on those cliffsides.

Bwana_John - 10-1-2009 at 02:04 PM

Quote:
Why is that a problem? The race is not going any further south than San Felipe... Is it crowds you want to avoid? Baja tourism has been suffering... nobody going... Even during the races, much fewer involved than years past. Thanksgiving is not until the following Thursday weekend...

We either go down for 9 of 16 days (sat thru sun)
I dont do the Baja Mil just like I dont drive in Baja at night.
Its a 15 hour day for us to get to Gonzaga. We have had more than a few problems with delays thru San Felipe (4 hours to get thru S.F. race day one time), all the idiot wannabe racers passing stupidly and "racing" everywhere, having to drive the course BACKWARDS* during the race one time, and the long wait to get back across the border on the Sunday after Thanksgiving...
The race happening when we were going to go down broke the camels back.
We have just about given up on X-mass trips for the same reason (crowds on the highways, gas problems, and long line to get back across after new year).

* You aint lived until you raced the Baja 1000 against traffic :O (it might have been the SF 250, but still!)

David K - 10-1-2009 at 02:24 PM

Sure... I just wanted to give you some hope... Death Valley is interesting, but the beach at Badwater is not even close, and the pup-fish tacos are too salty... LOL

You must have been there for the San Felipe 250 (March usually)? There is still no guarantee the 1000 is going to come near San Felipe or even through it... The map comes out in a week or two, hang on untill then!

For the record, the Baja 1000 (or Mexican 1000 from 1967-1972) has run every November since 1967, except 1974!

So, remember November for the 1000, June for the 500, and March for the 250.

TMW - 10-1-2009 at 05:35 PM

Bwana_John there are crasy things that happen during the SCORE races and some people act really stupid. But it is also a great event with a lot of excitement that helps the economy of Baja while providing an exciting race event. If you take it easy and flow with the action it can be fun for you. If you plan your trip to pass thru San Felipe before Nov 20th you won't have any problems. If you come back on Sunday the 22nd there will be long lines at the border.

BajaGeoff - 10-6-2009 at 01:08 PM

I will definitely be heading down. Baja Bound is sponsoring a taco stand at Borrego Junction that Locos Mocos is setting up to raise money for orphans and low income children with cancer. Come by and get some tacos! Visit Locos Mocos for more information.

[Edited on 10-6-2009 by BajaGeoff]

count me in for this one

steekers - 10-10-2009 at 08:48 PM

I will likely be at the Baja Pits Borrego area pit (RM 200) on Fri. early am. First bikes through around 9:30 am and Trophy Trucks 4 hrs later.

I hope to be joined by Baja Warrior, Rob, or any other Nomads that want to have some fun watching from that area.

BajaWarrior - 10-11-2009 at 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by steekers
I will likely be at the Baja Pits Borrego area pit (RM 200) on Fri. early am. First bikes through around 9:30 am and Trophy Trucks 4 hrs later.

I hope to be joined by Baja Warrior, Rob, or any other Nomads that want to have some fun watching from that area.

I actually started to type that I wouldn't be able to make this one but after checking the calender looks like I can. I'm going to drive down on Thursday afternoon, then meet you early Friday a.m. and we'll make a day of it. I'll contact BajaRob as he is back in camp again to see if he wants to come along. We'll tighten plans up as we get close...

Chris and Geoff and some Guests don't come down until Wednesday the 25th so I'm on my own until then...

BW

jimboats - 10-11-2009 at 09:15 AM

didn't know they wewe still having it with all the problems, i'll be there!! how do i get a map?

Map link

TacoFeliz - 10-11-2009 at 11:50 AM

Course map is posted as a downloadable PDF:

http://www.score-international.com/races/1124/Tecate_SCORE_B...

2009-Baja1000map.gif - 24kB

steekers - 10-11-2009 at 07:22 PM

OK...sounds good.

David K - 10-11-2009 at 08:15 PM

Check out TW's thread where ther Baja 1000 map is posted: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=41848

[Edited on 10-12-2009 by David K]

TacoFeliz - 10-13-2009 at 03:27 PM

Thanks David. Much better image.

TF

bryanmckenzie - 10-26-2009 at 02:38 PM

I've been to Coyote Cal's twice in the past two months WITHOUT an FM-t and had NO PROBLEMS at either the multiple military checkpoints or at a random Federalie checkpoint. They didn't ask for my passport or an FM-t. And I was a single male traveler. I suspect they have much bigger issues that they're concerned about (i.e.; guns, drugs, money). Hmmm, kinda sounds like a Warren Zevon song.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Ah! The mention of Coyote Cal's. Haven't been there in years. Got nostalgic and checked out their web site. There is a glaring bit of misinformation on their site wherein they state specifically that FM-t is not needed to visit them.

[Edited on 10-26-2009 by bryanmckenzie]

I'm still looking for a trip buddy

bryanmckenzie - 10-26-2009 at 02:47 PM

I'm still looking for a trip buddy per THIS POST and have made my Coyote Cal's reservation.

Quote:
Originally posted by bryanmckenzie

David K - 10-30-2009 at 05:31 PM

Well, they call this 'Baja Nomad' because we are mostly solo travelers... sometimes group together for fun. Do have fun...

Several Nomads are going to the big DOUBLE pit/ checkpoint at Borrego Wash (Race Mile 200 & 390)... Baja Pits and Locos Mocos are there and doing a fund raiser for kids with cancer, in Baja...

BajaRob - 10-31-2009 at 05:06 AM

Hola Mike y Chuck. We plan to watch the race at the junction of the KM 31 road and the Old Puertecitos Road ( Race Mile 325 ). The 4 wheels will start at 10:30 and at a conservative 52 MPh should start arriving about 4:30. Look forward to seeing you both.

steekers - 10-31-2009 at 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRob
Hola Mike y Chuck. We plan to watch the race at the junction of the KM 31 road and the Old Puertecitos Road ( Race Mile 325 ). The 4 wheels will start at 10:30 and at a conservative 52 MPh should start arriving about 4:30. Look forward to seeing you both.

Sorry Rob but looks like Chuck and I will be at Borrego pits that day. Since I will be down early that week we can come see you at your place.

I would likely visit you on Sun., 11/15 if you are there. Let me know.

BajaRob - 11-1-2009 at 04:57 AM

We will be here on the 15th and look forward to seeing you.

Gadget - 11-1-2009 at 12:22 PM

Don't miss out on this.
www.locosmocos.com

Donations to date are unbelievable and have poured in from all over Baja and the U.S. We are already donating thousands of dollars and haven't made a taco yet!
Bless everyone involved.

November 2009

EL POLLO LOCOS MOCOS
This year at the SCORE Baja 1000 we are running a taco stand to
generate donations for the Castro-Limon children's cancer clinic.
This is a cancer treatment center serving orphans and poor kids in
Baja California that have no health coverage or cannot afford
treatment. We’ll set up shop at Borrego Junction right next to the
popular Baja Pit’s two-way pit. We are looking to collect enough
money to pay the entire food cost so that all the proceeds from race
day can go to benefit the kids. Any amount will help. For a $100
minimum donation we’ll include your logo on the big taco stand sign.
Thanks and see you at the race!

www.fundacioncastrolimon.org - Download our Flyer

BajaGeoff - 11-2-2009 at 11:03 AM

Great to hear the response has been good Gadget!

MikeLikeBaja - 11-2-2009 at 11:08 AM

I create my own Baja 1000 every time I drive Blvd 2000 towards the border.

BajaWarrior - 11-2-2009 at 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gadget
Don't miss out on this.
www.locosmocos.com

Donations to date are unbelievable and have poured in from all over Baja and the U.S. We are already donating thousands of dollars and haven't made a taco yet!
Bless everyone involved.

November 2009

EL POLLO LOCOS MOCOS
This year at the SCORE Baja 1000 we are running a taco stand to
generate donations for the Castro-Limon children's cancer clinic.
This is a cancer treatment center serving orphans and poor kids in
Baja California that have no health coverage or cannot afford
treatment. We’ll set up shop at Borrego Junction right next to the
popular Baja Pit’s two-way pit. We are looking to collect enough
money to pay the entire food cost so that all the proceeds from race
day can go to benefit the kids. Any amount will help. For a $100
minimum donation we’ll include your logo on the big taco stand sign.
Thanks and see you at the race!

www.fundacioncastrolimon.org - Download our Flyer

Will, are you attending ? We'll (Michael Bennett "Steekers") and I will be at Borrego Junction on Friday.

BajaGeoff - 12-14-2009 at 03:40 PM

How did the fundraiser go Gadget? Were the taco sales good?

David K - 12-14-2009 at 11:54 PM

For sure... there should be some more post script from those who went!

TMW - 12-15-2009 at 07:33 PM

Mark Naugle said they made about $6,000. I think that was after expenses but I'm not sure.

David K - 12-16-2009 at 08:24 AM

I am still waiting to read Gadget's trip report! Is 'GSB' up and running?

707 039r.JPG - 28kB