BajaNomad

3 fish tourney in mulege this next weekend

mulegemichael - 10-21-2009 at 01:03 PM

The annual "Bart's 3 fish Tourney" is this next weekend in Mulege. It's really a great time without the pressure like some,(Bisbees), tournaments we are familiar with...the entry fee is $250 pesos per person and that includes the banquet on Sunday at Bart's Jungle Jims Cantina. Registration is at 4pm on Friday night followed by a calcutta. All registrants receive a "Bart's 3 fish tourney" hat. The winning combo will be 3 fish of 3 different species....minimum weight per fish; 2.5 pounds...no sharks, billfish, or rays can be weighed.

The fishing has been off and on here as of late but reports of roosterfish, dorado, grouper,bonita and sierra have been trickling in...ANYONE has a chance at winning this one even in a small boat as most folks have not been venturing much past Santa Inez rocks...

All boats must launch from the mouth of the river here in Mulege to be eligible...so hook up to those pangas and join us this weekend in our little town for a fun, friendly, competitive event. There are lots of rooms available in the local hotels and some fine food to be found in the restaurants in town.....see ya here!

Pescador - 10-21-2009 at 07:39 PM

Does that mean you are going to kill a rooster fish to get it weighed. That is a totally poor idea as these fish are considered sport fish and have no food value. We had somone kill a couple of them thinking that they could give them to the locals and they ended up in the dump which was a total waste of a valuable resource.

mulegemichael - 10-21-2009 at 08:30 PM

pesc....i'm not a fish killer..really...but...some of the best machaca i've ever eaten was pez gallo...truth!...that's not justification for what you address...i admit...i am at this point, tho, that i will sacrifice a couple of roosters,(at the MOST), to help get this community back on it's feet...we will not be putting out gillnets this time...if there are two to three, maybe ONE rooster caught and kept, then so be it...i agree with you, they are a wonderful sportfish and should normally be released unharmed...i respect your opinion

Say what...?

Sharksbaja - 10-21-2009 at 11:49 PM

Please refrain from the indisciminate killing of fish. One, two or ten wasted fish it's an attitude. I truly can't see how catching a rooster or two will benefit the community. Grading the rio road, yes, eating out, yes, shopping, yes but roosters, you're kidding right?:rolleyes:

[Edited on 10-22-2009 by Sharksbaja]

Pescador - 10-22-2009 at 09:06 AM

Sharks is right, well I won't fish a tournament that supports the killing of a rooster.:fire::fire:

Diver - 10-22-2009 at 09:39 AM

Yikes !
A good guy thinks he is promoting somethng good and what does he get ?!

Hope you have a great turnout !
I bet those fisherfolks will buy gas, food, lodging and maybe even some beer.
They might even take a suggestion not to target Roosters is they were asked nicely. :light:

Beachgirl - 10-22-2009 at 09:47 AM

The road from the Oasis down to the dock is open and smooth. No problemas getting down to launch. For many of us this is going to be the first fun thing we have done since that last wicked storm. Honestly, I believe everyone is going to use good sense, and just plain old have a good time. Come join us!

rpleger - 10-22-2009 at 12:04 PM

Good Luck you guys.....I wish that I could be there to weigh the fish...I will be down soon...

Again Good Luck To All

Cypress - 10-22-2009 at 12:56 PM

They have rooster fish in the vicinity of Mulege?:?:

capt. mike - 10-22-2009 at 01:02 PM

did that new dock you guys built get lost in the storm?

Skeet/Loreto - 10-22-2009 at 01:27 PM

Pescador;

I must take exception with your statements that roosters are of no Food Value.

My first bite of Rooster was at the table of Ray Cannon of Rancho BuenoVista in October of 1967. Ray Cannon was setting at the Table and enjoying the fish with us,

I still like a good Rooster Baked with lots of Garlic. I prefer a 20 lb Fish.
You have been missing a lot of good eating,

Skeet/Loreto

Cardon Man - 10-22-2009 at 02:58 PM

food value or no....I support those anglers that choose to catch and release pez gallo. They are a fine sport fish, and unique to a relatively small area of the Eastern Pacific.

Beachgirl - 10-22-2009 at 03:07 PM

Capt. Mike - Well, the dock was sort of not where it used to be, but we got it back and have it on a temporary (ha) loan at the boat launch, so people could get out for the tourney. Really looking forward to getting out on the water after all this clean-up business (again...).

Skeet/Loreto - 10-22-2009 at 03:08 PM

Cardon Man:
I to beleive in Catch and Release if and I say IF you donot have some one to FEED.

All the years I fished out of Loreto I do not ever remmember fish going to Waste, it was all eaten by the people at San Nicholas, Loreto etc,
I still know families that will buy your fish if they have the chance and the pesos.

Skeet

Cardon Man - 10-23-2009 at 08:01 AM

I'm with ya on that Skeet. Don't get me wrong, if I have a deepely hooked roosterfish that cannot be released alive it's coming home as food. That said, there should be no encouragement from tourneys or the angling public when it comes to killing roosterfish. They should be valued as a sport fish above all.

htnfool - 10-23-2009 at 04:04 PM

Best of luck in the tourney fellas, Sorry, I will miss it. Melissa and I can't get down til Nov 7th.
Anyone that eats roosterfish are crazy. Tried it once, I almost puked. Great game fish though. In the spirit of the tourney I don't see a big issue with killin a couple. They aren't a targetted table fair fish anyway. In the long run I believe the Roosters are a sustainable species and we will always have some to straighten the lines out. Not trying to open the GIANT door on Bajas fishing and it's history/future.

Just my 2 cents...

Happy hunting

mulegemichael - 10-23-2009 at 05:18 PM

htnfool...gracias...i am only the messenger...i expected this kind of response, actually...so....no problemo...todo teimpo...m......it's' just a little tourney that will hopefully get our community focused on what is really important to us; comradarie, yucks, hugs, and all the stuff that is considered "fuzzy and gay"...that's really what it's all about...really..we love our community

rpleger - 10-25-2009 at 12:03 PM

Tell us more....Who won...who got drunk...How was the food...???

mulegemichael - 10-25-2009 at 02:51 PM

richard...the awards banquet is in an hour...i will post winners later...

Beachgirl - 10-26-2009 at 04:03 AM

Wonderful banquet at Junga's, tons of great fish, chicken, salads. We were amazed at the number of people who showed up for dinner. Some friends we weren't even expecting to see were there. Everyone in great spirits, the drinks were flowing, perfect weather, life is good.

shari - 10-26-2009 at 06:30 AM

Felizidades amigos...it is heart warming to hear that Mulege was able to host this event after such a tragedy such a short time ago. Kudos! You guys are awesome...who won?

mulegemichael - 10-26-2009 at 07:09 AM

brisk winds and lumpy seas made for tough fishing conditions but eleven boats headed out on saturday morning....after all was said and done tom wellborn fishing with capitan alejandro took it all home with 3 fish....pretty scratchy fishing for the most part but everyone hadda blast!...wore most of us old folks out bouncing around out there, (and MOST of us are old folks down here), but it's all about community.

Cypress - 10-26-2009 at 09:40 AM

mulegemichael, Thanks for the report. What species of fish? How much did they weigh?:?:

Diver - 10-26-2009 at 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
mulegemichael, Thanks for the report.
What species of fish?
How much did they weigh?:?:

Who got drunk and silly ? :biggrin:
Anyone dance neked ? :lol:

mulegemichael - 10-26-2009 at 11:19 AM

all small fish in the 10-15# range; dorado, grouper, sierra..tons of throwback little cabrilla for our boat..we also busted a couple grandes off in 250 feet of water yo yoing...i don't DARE say rooster...everyone had fun...and diver, just about everyone got a buzz on at the jungla...fun for all!...super food and the booze was flowing...sadly enough, no one danced nekid..maybe next time but i won't hold my breath....el norte has shown up today so most folks have hunkered down for the time being.

Cypress - 10-26-2009 at 01:18 PM

mulegemichael, Thanks.:D

rpleger - 10-26-2009 at 06:49 PM

Thanks Mike for the report....see you guys tomorrow, I hope

Beachgirl - 10-27-2009 at 09:22 AM

Hey, Diver, what happens in Mulege stays in Mulege!

Diver - 10-27-2009 at 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Beachgirl
Hey, Diver, what happens in Mulege stays in Mulege!

So I've heard; having partied with Roger and friends a few times ! :biggrin:
But wait; I've heard ..... :o