BajaNomad

THE VIRGIN OF THE ROCKS

Pompano - 11-28-2009 at 08:36 PM

Desecration: The act of depriving something of its sacred character—or the disrespectful or contemptuous treatment of that which is held to be sacred by a group or individual.

Paulina - 11-28-2009 at 08:44 PM

It's it sad. At least the spray can armada had enough respect to leave the Virgin herself alone.

The entire area needs a major sand blasting or power washing treatment, although it would only clean the easel for the next blooming artist to make a pit stop.

P<*)))>{

docsmom - 11-29-2009 at 01:53 PM

Heartbreaking.

LancairDriver - 11-29-2009 at 02:01 PM

Disgusting- It looks like the "artists" have migrated from the Barrio's and railroad yards to the formerly pristine environment we have all enjoyed for so many years.

Bajahowodd - 11-29-2009 at 02:32 PM

Actually the graffiti has been there for many years. Haven't done a survey to determine how much is newer. I do still remember how saddened I was the first time driving through the area.

Graffiti is a universal problem. First time I visited Rome years back, it appeared to me that they had LA beat hands down with the amount scrawled all over buildings.

DENNIS - 11-29-2009 at 02:50 PM

"Henry" needs to have his asss kicked.

Barry A. - 11-29-2009 at 02:52 PM

------and these tortured souls walk among us---------pretty spooky, if you ask me. (which you didn't)

Barry

wessongroup - 11-29-2009 at 03:42 PM

Too bad they don't take the time to carve into the rocks, then at least they could be petroglyphs at some point in time in the future..

Never agreed with the "spay paint" thing as being an expression of ones self in an art form...

Fred-o - 11-29-2009 at 04:05 PM

Lets just hope the dirtbags don't find, or run across the real Petroglyphs, or cave paintings. What a disaster that would be.

Art?

Bajahowodd - 11-29-2009 at 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
Too bad they don't take the time to carve into the rocks, then at least they could be petroglyphs at some point in time in the future..

Never agreed with the "spay paint" thing as being an expression of ones self in an art form...

Way back when, in New York City, John Lindsay was mayor. Not sure whether it was born out of the idea "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em", but for a number of years, there was a tacit approval of the "art" as it applied to the subway trains. Anyone who either lived in or visited New York would have noted that for more than a decade, not a single rail car had even the tiniest spot not covered in spray paint.

Original La Virgen

David K - 11-29-2009 at 07:15 PM

Located on the old main Baja road... about 2 miles east of/ parallel to Hwy. 1. Photo by Neal Johns in 2003:

La Virgen in 1956 (Howard Gulick photo):

Right on point

wessongroup - 11-29-2009 at 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup

Way back when, in New York City, John Lindsay was mayor. Not sure whether it was born out of the idea "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em", but for a number of years, there was a tacit approval of the "art" as it applied to the subway trains. Anyone who either lived in or visited New York would have noted that for more than a decade, not a single rail car had even the tiniest spot not covered in spray paint.

Thanks, just the one I was thinking about, but the "justification" offered was accepted, like so many others that defy common sense and the voting public...

Ahhhh you don't know what, your voting for !!!! that from our courts...

[Edited on 11-30-2009 by wessongroup]

things changed in NY

capitolkat - 12-2-2009 at 08:20 AM

Things changed radically in NY. Read Malcolm Gladwell's excellent best selling book the "Tipping Point" -- the city went to the broken window concept of handling graffiti- no train was allowed to go out with a single graffiti mark on it and also the turnstyle jumpers were apprehended and prosecuted. The crime rate in NY plunged- lots of petty criminals caught in the turnstyle dragnet- no graffiti on subways for about 10 years now and the artists have pretty much given up as the work doesn't survive overnight. Read the book- it's been on the NY Times best seller list for over a year-and you'll be shocked at all the little things that signal dramatic change.

I know some won't believe the cause and effect but some cities escape graffiti- why?? they require it to be removed immediately by the property owner and when it's removed quickly and repeatedly the artist is frustrated and generally goes somewhere else.

One of the things Joyce and I want to try when we get to La Paz next year is ask a block of graffiti covered building owners if we can adopt their block and paint it over and repaint it every time graffiti appears. We know what will happen - it will stop appearing - but owners have to care enough to let us do the work. We'll see. Norm

A cure for graffiti...

Pompano - 12-2-2009 at 11:33 AM

USE CHALK CRAYONS!!

Oso - 12-2-2009 at 12:29 PM

Have you heard of the great Polish-Puerto Rican grafffiti artist, Pablo Kowalski?

Well, probably not. His work isn't that well known...

Seems it's all on chain link fence.

Wait...

Dave - 12-2-2009 at 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
It's it sad. At least the spray can armada had enough respect to leave the Virgin herself alone.

So the Virgin painting is OK? :lol:

If 'she' wasn't there would Henry have stopped?

dtbushpilot - 12-2-2009 at 01:37 PM

We went to San Francisco de la Sierra to see the paintings. There was much talk about interpretation, rituals etc. If you just look at it with no preconceived notions about there being some meaning to it you can see it for what it probably is, ancient graffiti. At my suggestion, one member of our group replied that it couldn't have been teenagers because of the effort and danger involved in some of the paintings. I pointed out that it is SOP for taggers to try to out-do each other by taking risks.

My theory wasn't embraced by the group, they would have to admit to themselves that they rode a mule for 2 days and slept on the ground for 3 nights just to see graffiti and that wasn't happening. Funny how our foolish pride sometimes won't let us admit to something so obvious....dt

Curt63 - 12-2-2009 at 01:50 PM

Does anybody remember "Pacman's" solution to taggers in the movie "Colors"?

Thats what I'm talkin about!

[Edited on 12-2-2009 by Curt63]