BajaNomad

Barrilete or bonito?

Don Alley - 12-8-2009 at 05:50 PM

This one is a barrilete, or Black Skipjack. There are fair numbers in the SOC near Loreto. Last summer we saw a modern seiner, using a helicopter spotter, net a school of these. Probably to be ground up. Their flesh is very dark, and while some Mexicans will eat them, often in salads, they are often released. Most gringos won't have anything to do with them. Great light tackle fighters that often go easily over 10 lbs. They will hit trolled jigs, cast lures of live bait. Many times I have seen them called "bonito." But the black spots on the belly indicate they are barrilete. Jose Torres calls them "cat paws" from the shape of the black marks.

Sometimes we'll catch one like this. But not nearly as often. I believe this is a bonito, perhaps an Eastern Pacific Bonito, although Kira's site states they are not found in the SOC north of La Paz. These are not nearly as common as the barrilete in the Loreto area, imo. I haven't killed one but I've been told by one captain that they are much, much better to eat than the barrilete, with a lighter colored meat. Often found in the same places as barrilete; twice this fall I've caught both in the same place, same day.

Santiago - 12-8-2009 at 05:54 PM

DA: thanks for posting some pics of fish and talking about fishing. We should do this more often.

bajabass - 12-8-2009 at 06:01 PM

Cut the dark meat away from a fresh bonito fillet, fry it up with butter, onion, and garlic! Yummy. Catch one on a trout rod with 4lb line. Mini wahoo. :yes:

Iflyfish - 12-8-2009 at 06:10 PM

Used one to catch my 265lb Blue Marlin. Ran it live on a C hook in the middle between two hoochies on either side.

Iflyfish

Don Alley - 12-8-2009 at 06:12 PM

I used to catch many bonito in Southern California waters in the 60s. They were very abundant, far more than the bonito or barrilete available around here now. Always a favorite gamefish of mine, wonderful on light tackle and beautiful when they come to color. But my mother had little patience for them, and never seemed to want to eat them, preferring calicos, rockfish and halibut.

Me, I'm not a fish eater. I fished today, Paula's having some of the yellowtail snapper and I'm having a couple of pork chops.:lol:

acadist - 12-8-2009 at 06:44 PM

Mainly used as bait or to find the good eating fish. I have made tuna salad with them though.

mulegejim - 12-8-2009 at 07:11 PM

Just remember that bonito have no markings on their bellies as skipjack do, so don't confuse the two - bonito if bleed out and iced down are very good eating. The other fish often confused with bonito and skipjack are Kawakawa - sometimes referred to as white bonito - it is in the skipjack tuna family, however, they have a white mouth as compared to other tunas that have a black mouth and are very good eating.

[Edited on 12-9-2009 by mulegejim]

Skipjack Joe - 12-8-2009 at 08:11 PM

The bottom one sure looks like a bonito. But different from the ones I remember catching off the Redondo barge. The one below is how they looked. The stripes on the back didn't go front to back. They went diagonally from the lateral line to the back. Is that how you remember them?

There may be considerable variability in this species and stock in the cortez may be genetically different than what we see in So Cal.

BTW you can see markings on the belly of this bonito as well.

Sarda_chilensis,I_RR1993.jpg - 10kB

comitan - 12-8-2009 at 08:53 PM

Bonito have teeth, Skipjack don't.

Don Alley - 12-8-2009 at 09:01 PM

There are two subspecies of Pacific bonito that I can find, Pacific bonito and Eastern Pacific bonito. The range and description of the Pacific Bonito seem to match the ones I caught off Redondo, Catalina, Anacapa, etc. The one I caught today seems to be closer to Kira's description of an Eastern Pacific bonito.

And the Black Skipjack/Barrilete is different from the skipjack caught on the San Diego tuna boats among the albacore.

Skipjack Joe - 12-8-2009 at 09:04 PM

Another skippy.

One thing that's really obvious between the two species is that boundary separating the head from stripes. It goes so much further back in the skipjacks. It's almost like 2 patches of skin coming together there.

Just my 2 cents.

barillette.jpg - 50kB

mulegemichael - 12-8-2009 at 09:08 PM

comitan is right, bonito have teeth, skipjack don't ...bonito are really really good eating...skipjack are really really bad eating...

Hook - 12-8-2009 at 09:10 PM

I have seen bonito over here that have the black spots on the belly, just like the skippies.

The teeth are the dead giveaway; bonito have teeth.

woody with a view - 12-8-2009 at 09:16 PM

one of the places we go the bonito are 5-1 while fishing for jurel. the strike gets the heart rate skipping a beat, but then there's no pay off.

although the panguero wants theM for his lobster/cabrilla traps....

we usually say, "P-nche MACKEREL GRANDE!!!!!":rolleyes:

[Edited on 12-9-2009 by woody in ob]

Hook - 12-8-2009 at 09:27 PM

I used to say something like that about the Pacific Bonito I used to catch off So Cal.

These bonito in the Sea are much tastier.

Skipjack Joe - 12-8-2009 at 09:45 PM

I believe you've got it, Don.

Check this out:

http://www.fishbase.org/search.php

1. Search by common name.
2. enter 'bonito' for search.
3. Then sort by country

You'll see lots of bonitos that are found in US waters. If you play with the all suitable range map it will show you which species goes all the way up the coast to oregon at times and which species is from the cortez south.

Striped bonito (Sarda Orientalis):
http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=114

Eastern Pacific Bonito (Sarda chiliensis chiliensis):
http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=113

Although why they would not call call Eastern Bonito 'orientalis' is confusing.

monoloco - 12-8-2009 at 10:25 PM

If it is a Bonito it will have some substantial teeth. They are excellent eating cooked or raw. Their meat is white but a Skippy has dark flesh.

fishbuck - 12-8-2009 at 10:31 PM

Bonita... you guys are spelling it wrong!

fishbuck - 12-8-2009 at 10:46 PM

Here's a Skippy!

Skipjack Joe - 12-9-2009 at 12:42 AM

Don Alley's pictured bonito: Sarda Orientalis (striped bonito)

Catalina, Anacapa, Socal bonito: Sarda chiliensis chiliensis (pacific bonito)

That's an oceanic skipjack, Fishbuck. Uncommon in baja. I caught some in the central pacific. They are really beautiful. The guys on Kon Tiki would get them from the raft.

Pescador - 12-9-2009 at 08:12 AM

They are excellent eating but to be their best, they need to be bled right after catching. We do a double half hitch around their tail with a light rope, cut the gills and maybe even up to the backbone, and hang them upside down over the side of the boat. After bleeding completely, put them on ice right away.
I do can some of this fish and it is very good if done in a good pressure cooker with just a touch of salt.

bajabass - 12-9-2009 at 08:26 AM

:yes: When I fished the Socal cattle boats, they went in your sack, in the sun, and you came home with cat food. I hated the taste until a good friend showed me exactly what you said. I wasted a lot of fish out of ignorance. Treat baracuda the same way, and deep fry battered, YUM!

mulegejim - 12-9-2009 at 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
They are excellent eating but to be their best, they need to be bled right after catching. We do a double half hitch around their tail with a light rope, cut the gills and maybe even up to the backbone, and hang them upside down over the side of the boat. After bleeding completely, put them on ice right away.
I do can some of this fish and it is very good if done in a good pressure cooker with just a touch of salt.

Great advice - works well for yellowtail also.

Taco de Baja - 12-9-2009 at 08:41 AM

Here's a slightly different looking bonita/bonito I caught from the beach at a secret location along the pacific side in 2006. There were lots of these little 6 pounders, tossed all but this one back. BBQed with fresh lime slices and rosemary sticks, Yummy!

Cardon Man - 12-9-2009 at 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck

actually, i believe bonita is incorrect and is akin to refering to the peninsula as "the Baja" :lol:

bajabass - 12-9-2009 at 09:45 AM

:lol: Are they fish, or pretty? Or pretty good fish? :?:

fishbuck - 12-9-2009 at 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cardon Man
Quote:

actually, i believe bonita is incorrect and is akin to refering to the peninsula as "the Baja" :lol:

Ya, I know. But that's what most people call them.
And you can call it "The" Baja if you want. As in "The Baja Peninsula".
Or you can say Baja California.
Does it really matter?

fishbuck - 12-9-2009 at 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja
Here's a slightly different looking bonita/bonito I caught from the beach at a secret location along the pacific side in 2006. There were lots of these little 6 pounders, tossed all but this one back. BBQed with fresh lime slices and rosemary sticks, Yummy!

Looks more like some kind of Mackerel. A Sierra maybe?

bajabass - 12-9-2009 at 04:05 PM

Looks just like the ones out of La Mision or Newport. Pacific BonitO!:biggrin:

fishbuck - 12-9-2009 at 04:09 PM

Oooh!:coolup:

bajabass - 12-9-2009 at 04:13 PM

Now he gets it!! :yes:

fishbuck - 12-9-2009 at 04:17 PM

I guess you scrawny BonitO just have a mackerel like shape.

bajabass - 12-9-2009 at 04:19 PM

Is that not a sierra Mike? Here we go again!!:yes:

bajabass - 12-9-2009 at 04:22 PM

Love the "Taco Times" background.

fishbuck - 12-9-2009 at 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabass
Is that not a sierra Mike? Here we go again!!:yes:

Ha ha, ya it's a Sierro ...er I mean Sierra mackerel. I was comparing his shape to your Bonito. Sometimes they are skinny and sometime more like a tuna.

fishbuck - 12-9-2009 at 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabass
Love the "Taco Times" background.

I think it says Tico Times!:lol:

[Edited on 12-9-2009 by fishbuck]

bajabass - 12-9-2009 at 05:04 PM

Downright anorexic looking fish Mike!

mulegejim - 12-9-2009 at 05:18 PM

Quote:
I guess you scrawny BonitO just have a mackerel like shape.

A Sierra and very good eating.

fishbuck - 12-9-2009 at 05:42 PM

Ya, Sierra are excellent. But if they are in the area make sure you use a wire leader. Razor sharp teeth. And you will lose your lures.:(

Osprey - 12-9-2009 at 06:55 PM

Fish, switch around to English for a while. As in "Yeah" not ya as in ya, ya, ya, ya, ya, ya, = now, now, now, now or da, da, da, da or all the other languages you could be posting in. In short, lose the YA, PULEEEEZE.

monoloco - 12-9-2009 at 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
Fish, switch around to English for a while. As in "Yeah" not ya as in ya, ya, ya, ya, ya, ya, = now, now, now, now or da, da, da, da or all the other languages you could be posting in. In short, lose the YA, PULEEEEZE.
Maybe he's Norwegian.

Don Alley - 12-9-2009 at 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Quote:
Maybe he's Norwegian.

Lutefisk, or lutofisk, or lutafisk?

fishbuck - 12-9-2009 at 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
Quote:
Quote:
Maybe he's Norwegian.

Loto'fish

woody with a view - 12-10-2009 at 06:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe he's Norwegian.

YEAH!!!!!

gnukid - 12-10-2009 at 09:15 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
Quote:
Quote:
Maybe he's Norwegian.

Loto'fish

.. the most sophisticated conversation we've ever had on Nomads. thanks

fishbuck - 12-10-2009 at 09:18 PM

Ya ...er...ah... yeah! It was frivolous and non-offensive and mildly entertaining.
We could use more of that!:yes:

vandenberg - 12-10-2009 at 09:22 PM

Ja

Du Liegst Mir Im Herzen

Skipjack Joe - 12-10-2009 at 09:50 PM

Du, du liegst mir am Herzen,
Du, du liegst mir im Sinn,
Du, du machst mir viel Schmerzen,
Weißt nicht wie gut ich dir bin.
Ja, ja, ja, ja,

I like Marlene Dietrichs version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAkgWsVCA-k

Taco de Baja - 12-11-2009 at 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Du, du liegst mir am Herzen,
Du, du liegst mir im Sinn,
Du, du machst mir viel Schmerzen,
Ja, ja, ja, ja,

I like Marlene Dietrichs version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAkgWsVCA-k

I LOVED listening to that as a kid on my dad's record player, I think it was the Vienna boys choir version...did not understand what they were saying, but it was beautiful music. Thanks for the flashback :yes: