BajaNomad

SIERRA MACKEREL - DAY THREE

Pompano - 12-11-2009 at 05:53 PM

If you have ever caught a wahoo with teeth like a Doberman, then you know the sierra is his little brother. This is one fish I love to catch...because he is a VERY scrappy fighter on light tackle. Use a 12" steel leader, though..or risk losing the lure. These guys slice through mono like a hot knife through warm butter.

You'll catch them on just about any smaller trolled lure, feathers, or flies. Hell, try it all..have fun. Usaully they are close in to shore and structure.

The straits of Bahia Conception are reknowned waters for huge schools of sierra mackerel. Always has been. At least since I first trolled through with my Dad and our guide in 1959. Back then we left out of Mulege daily. Has not changed much since then. When headed out or coming home from Coyote Bay, I slow down to about 10-12 knots and quickly bounce a feather about 30-40 yards behind the boat. Like clockwork, the sierras are there and we boat 1 or 2 for that night's ceviche. Takes about 5 minutes and you're done.

Sierra are terrific smoked, filleted, or marinated for ceviche on the spot. We had many a light snack of shipboard ceviche on my old Pompano cruiser.

Sierra is also a prime cash crop for our local pangeros co-op out of Mulege.

Just yesterday, when we were driving along the riverfront malecon in Mulege near the Serinadad...

my friend, Adrian, hailed us over to see their catch of the day. Bravo y good work, pescadores!

This are the fruits of their long labor.

We almost had to duck as the fish came whizzing back from the catch boat.

Whizzz!

Whizz!

Incoming sierra!

The holding tank gets full of iced fish quickly.

Adrian will share in some nice profits from this day.

Fishing Tip of the Day: Right now the fish are running great just outside the Bay entrance and down south past the mine. Also large roosterfish are there now in numbers. Trolliing a mirrolure south of the mine all the way to Pta. Teresa would produce ...way too many fish.:rolleyes:

[Edited on 12-14-2009 by Pompano]

fishbuck - 12-11-2009 at 06:15 PM

If you even suspect Sierra are in the area where you are fishing use the steel leader. Even if your not fishing for them. Otherwise you'll be sorry.:cool:

Don Alley - 12-11-2009 at 06:23 PM

Yesterday AM was a good one for people fishing off the wall at the Loreto marina. I went out today on my yak but only caught one; I think folks on the wall did poorly too. Here today, gone tomorrow.

I'll try another spot in a day of two.

I usually do not use wire.::o

fishbuck - 12-11-2009 at 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
Yesterday AM was a good one for people fishing off the wall at the Loreto marina. I went out today on my yak but only caught one; I think folks on the wall did poorly too. Here today, gone tomorrow.

I'll try another spot in a day of two.

I usually do not use wire.::o

You're a brave soul!:cool:

Pompano - 12-11-2009 at 07:47 PM

Actually, fishbuck, I seldom if ever use a leader for anything but shark. But I thought it best to advise using a short wire leader...'just in case.'

On sierra it is very easy to land one with crocodile, kastmaster, jig, or dart. Just keep tension and pull him in nice and steady...no slack. It's not the hooked one that will cut you off, but one of the school chasing the caught one and slashing at the shiny thing hanging out of it's mouth. ;)

fishbuck - 12-11-2009 at 07:50 PM

Yes, I have caught a few without a leader. But after I lost a few krocks I figured better safe than sorry.
I hate to loose lures!!!

Say what Rog?

Sharksbaja - 12-11-2009 at 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Actually, fishbuck, I seldom if ever use a leader for anything but shark.

I hope you meaned that to say"I seldom if ever use a leader for anything but for shark years ago. If not please expain.

(mispelling intentional) ;D

Don Alley - 12-11-2009 at 09:23 PM

Quote:
It's not the hooked one that will cut you off, but one of the school chasing the caught one and slashing at the shiny thing hanging out of it's mouth. ;)

Exactly. And I've had them cut the wire, too, 6-8 inches from the lure so I know it was a different fish.

I lose far more lures light tackle fishing the reefs to mystery fish, probably mostly barred pargo and the occasional yellowtail.

I think you get bit less with wire.

vgabndo - 12-11-2009 at 09:32 PM

I've had the wire foul up the bite a little, but I once found some 18# BLACK wire, very small diameter and it was the cat's meow.

monoloco - 12-11-2009 at 09:50 PM

I use the braided wire with a white hoochie and a single hook. Also pinching their head in the cooler lid works really good for getting the hook out.

Pompano - 12-12-2009 at 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
I've had the wire foul up the bite a little, but I once found some 18# BLACK wire, very small diameter and it was the cat's meow.

Vagabound,

Right you are. That black wire leader material works great on catch/release muskie & northern pike fishing up north also. The bright leaders spook off the really big fellows. About the only pike to hit the shiny gear are..."hammer handles"...kind of like a 'sierra of the north.'

Corky...There are Customers waiting!! Get back to your kitchen and quit hanging around that computer!

capt. mike - 12-12-2009 at 08:31 AM

who are those people in that over loaded inflatable??

mulegejim - 12-12-2009 at 08:46 AM

Roger, right on about Sierra - pretty fish, fun to catch and very good eating. I have even got a few making bait in the morning.

bajabass - 12-12-2009 at 12:46 PM

Go nab a couple of those, ceviche delivery service!!

Skipjack Joe - 12-12-2009 at 05:50 PM

Quote:
Sierras!!

This is happening right now...

It's almost too much to bear....

Your heart jumps a notch. You look around the room frantically for the rod, ready to run as fast as your feet can carry you across that sand. And then you realize it's grey and 47 outside with the rain coming down relentlessly.

Just 6 days to go now ....

baitcast - 12-13-2009 at 10:30 AM

Good one Igor,I know the feeling:lol:
Rob

Sunday - This is quite a harvest of sierra.

Pompano - 12-13-2009 at 07:10 PM

There seems to be no end to the schools of sierra in the last few days. The guys in Mulege are going off the mine ..out on the SOC.

These pangas are catching their sierra inside the Bay of Conception, so says one of the pioneros. Shown here unloading at Burros Beach next to Bertha's Cafe.

One fisherman told me that in the last 2 days and nights they had netted 4000 kilos of sierra. Adding today's catch to that will boost the kilo count quite a bit. Should be substantial from the looks of these boats and the pickup box full of the mackerel.

One young man said the sierra fetches them 10 pesos per kilo. Manager Celia at the restaurant said all these fishermen were working hard day and night and hoped they would make good profits.

After looking at these thousands, I lost interest in showing the photo of the two small sierra I caught off my sea wall. :rolleyes:

Ceviche anyone?

dtbushpilot - 12-13-2009 at 07:46 PM

No way those fish came from Bahia Conception, everyone knows its fished out......dt

acadist - 12-14-2009 at 06:30 AM

Ready to add another species to my list. Fishing tomorrow in La Paz and have heard they are biting there too. Will wave as we pass by later this morning, the Bahia Conception is one of my favourite places in the world.

Skeet/Loreto - 12-14-2009 at 10:35 AM

Pompano: Looks like the Sierra are back in Great Niumbers

Wonder where all thoise "The Sea is Ruined Bunch" are hiding their Heads in the Sand"??

Can't wait till this jan. when they start being chased by the yellowtail in close to shore.

Good Fishing.

Skeet

Cypress - 12-14-2009 at 10:46 AM

Good to see there's a good run of Spanish Mackerel.:D

Pompano - 12-14-2009 at 11:16 AM

Buenos días Skeet..and you are 'somewhat right' as usual.

On the Bay of Conception being fished out, I guess it's all about how hard and how well you try.

Samuel Clemens aka Mark Twain once said something lke: "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated." That's a lot like the BOC. Heck, I have often told fellow fisherman asking for advice not to bother with the Bay...it's just so much better outside these last 20 years or so.

I still fish it, but I know the structure very well..and when and how always gives one an edge, too. Can't say that every time I go out in the Bay I'll catch what I'm targeting, but I always seem to get something to eat or have fun with..like sierra or pez gallo. March/April are always great with roosters and snapper near Rocas Frijoles.

Whether outside or in, fish on or no fish, it's just fun to be on the water.

Santiago - 12-14-2009 at 11:22 AM

Pomp: minor hijack - I thought you sold that Trophy? Are you still wanting to?

Skeet/Loreto - 12-14-2009 at 11:47 AM

Thanks Pomp;
Please let us know when you see that school of Sierra being chased in close to shore!!
It has been a long time since 1974!!