Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: SIERRA MACKEREL - DAY THREE
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 12-11-2009 at 05:53 PM
SIERRA MACKEREL - DAY THREE

If you have ever caught a wahoo with teeth like a Doberman, then you know the sierra is his little brother. This is one fish I love to catch...because he is a VERY scrappy fighter on light tackle. Use a 12" steel leader, though..or risk losing the lure. These guys slice through mono like a hot knife through warm butter.

You'll catch them on just about any smaller trolled lure, feathers, or flies. Hell, try it all..have fun. Usaully they are close in to shore and structure.

The straits of Bahia Conception are reknowned waters for huge schools of sierra mackerel. Always has been. At least since I first trolled through with my Dad and our guide in 1959. Back then we left out of Mulege daily. Has not changed much since then. When headed out or coming home from Coyote Bay, I slow down to about 10-12 knots and quickly bounce a feather about 30-40 yards behind the boat. Like clockwork, the sierras are there and we boat 1 or 2 for that night's ceviche. Takes about 5 minutes and you're done.

Sierra are terrific smoked, filleted, or marinated for ceviche on the spot. We had many a light snack of shipboard ceviche on my old Pompano cruiser.

Sierra is also a prime cash crop for our local pangeros co-op out of Mulege.

Just yesterday, when we were driving along the riverfront malecon in Mulege near the Serinadad...

my friend, Adrian, hailed us over to see their catch of the day. Bravo y good work, pescadores!

This are the fruits of their long labor.

We almost had to duck as the fish came whizzing back from the catch boat.

Whizzz!

Whizz!

Incoming sierra!

The holding tank gets full of iced fish quickly.

Adrian will share in some nice profits from this day.

Fishing Tip of the Day: Right now the fish are running great just outside the Bay entrance and down south past the mine. Also large roosterfish are there now in numbers. Trolliing a mirrolure south of the mine all the way to Pta. Teresa would produce ...way too many fish.:rolleyes:

[Edited on 12-14-2009 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 12-11-2009 at 06:15 PM

If you even suspect Sierra are in the area where you are fishing use the steel leader. Even if your not fishing for them. Otherwise you'll be sorry.:cool:

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2009 at 06:23 PM

Yesterday AM was a good one for people fishing off the wall at the Loreto marina. I went out today on my yak but only caught one; I think folks on the wall did poorly too. Here today, gone tomorrow.

I'll try another spot in a day of two.

I usually do not use wire.::o
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 12-11-2009 at 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
Yesterday AM was a good one for people fishing off the wall at the Loreto marina. I went out today on my yak but only caught one; I think folks on the wall did poorly too. Here today, gone tomorrow.

I'll try another spot in a day of two.

I usually do not use wire.::o

You're a brave soul!:cool:

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2009 at 07:47 PM

Actually, fishbuck, I seldom if ever use a leader for anything but shark. But I thought it best to advise using a short wire leader...'just in case.'

On sierra it is very easy to land one with crocodile, kastmaster, jig, or dart. Just keep tension and pull him in nice and steady...no slack. It's not the hooked one that will cut you off, but one of the school chasing the caught one and slashing at the shiny thing hanging out of it's mouth. ;)

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 12-11-2009 at 07:50 PM

Yes, I have caught a few without a leader. But after I lost a few krocks I figured better safe than sorry.
I hate to loose lures!!!

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2009 at 07:53 PM
Say what Rog?

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Actually, fishbuck, I seldom if ever use a leader for anything but shark.

I hope you meaned that to say"I seldom if ever use a leader for anything but for shark years ago. If not please expain.

(mispelling intentional) ;D

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2009 at 09:23 PM

Quote:
It's not the hooked one that will cut you off, but one of the school chasing the caught one and slashing at the shiny thing hanging out of it's mouth. ;)

Exactly. And I've had them cut the wire, too, 6-8 inches from the lure so I know it was a different fish.

I lose far more lures light tackle fishing the reefs to mystery fish, probably mostly barred pargo and the occasional yellowtail.

I think you get bit less with wire.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 12-11-2009 at 09:32 PM

I've had the wire foul up the bite a little, but I once found some 18# BLACK wire, very small diameter and it was the cat's meow.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2009 at 09:50 PM

I use the braided wire with a white hoochie and a single hook. Also pinching their head in the cooler lid works really good for getting the hook out.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2009 at 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
I've had the wire foul up the bite a little, but I once found some 18# BLACK wire, very small diameter and it was the cat's meow.

Vagabound,

Right you are. That black wire leader material works great on catch/release muskie & northern pike fishing up north also. The bright leaders spook off the really big fellows. About the only pike to hit the shiny gear are..."hammer handles"...kind of like a 'sierra of the north.'

Corky...There are Customers waiting!! Get back to your kitchen and quit hanging around that computer!

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 12-12-2009 at 08:31 AM

who are those people in that over loaded inflatable??

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
mulegejim
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2009 at 08:46 AM

Roger, right on about Sierra - pretty fish, fun to catch and very good eating. I have even got a few making bait in the morning.
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 12-12-2009 at 12:46 PM

Go nab a couple of those, ceviche delivery service!!
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2009 at 05:50 PM

Quote:
Sierras!!

This is happening right now...

It's almost too much to bear....

Your heart jumps a notch. You look around the room frantically for the rod, ready to run as fast as your feet can carry you across that sand. And then you realize it's grey and 47 outside with the rain coming down relentlessly.

Just 6 days to go now ....
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

lol.gif posted on 12-13-2009 at 10:30 AM

Good one Igor,I know the feeling:lol:
Rob
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2009 at 07:10 PM
Sunday - This is quite a harvest of sierra.

There seems to be no end to the schools of sierra in the last few days. The guys in Mulege are going off the mine ..out on the SOC.

These pangas are catching their sierra inside the Bay of Conception, so says one of the pioneros. Shown here unloading at Burros Beach next to Bertha's Cafe.

One fisherman told me that in the last 2 days and nights they had netted 4000 kilos of sierra. Adding today's catch to that will boost the kilo count quite a bit. Should be substantial from the looks of these boats and the pickup box full of the mackerel.

One young man said the sierra fetches them 10 pesos per kilo. Manager Celia at the restaurant said all these fishermen were working hard day and night and hoped they would make good profits.

After looking at these thousands, I lost interest in showing the photo of the two small sierra I caught off my sea wall. :rolleyes:

Ceviche anyone?

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 12-13-2009 at 07:46 PM

No way those fish came from Bahia Conception, everyone knows its fished out......dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 12-14-2009 at 06:30 AM

Ready to add another species to my list. Fishing tomorrow in La Paz and have heard they are biting there too. Will wave as we pass by later this morning, the Bahia Conception is one of my favourite places in the world.

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2009 at 10:35 AM

Pompano: Looks like the Sierra are back in Great Niumbers

Wonder where all thoise "The Sea is Ruined Bunch" are hiding their Heads in the Sand"??

Can't wait till this jan. when they start being chased by the yellowtail in close to shore.

Good Fishing.

Skeet
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.