BajaNomad

Lebanon to La Paz

fixtrauma - 12-20-2009 at 02:27 PM

December 15th, all packed and ready for the drive to Cammpestre Maranatha a camp at Km 11 just out of La Paz. My wife's family lives there and are hosting the Byer's family reunion for Christmas! Aww shucks! Raining hard and continued to rain until Sacramento. Seems twice the work to drive when raining like that. The dogs have their reindeer antlers on for the season but don't seem too happy about it!

Great to have another driver along. Jeff giving me a break as we approach the Grapevine.

Gulp! That's what the fuel tank and I did when we reached San Diego. Oh well, that's travel.

We parked on the US side at Tecate and walked across to do the border crossing dance. This paper.....go there........pay that person......go back to original guy who is watching the big TV on his desk while stamping your papers. Then drove across into Mexico.

We were no more than 10 yards into Mexico when.....oh yeah......the steps didn't retract! If you cross at Tecate look to the right side and you will see that yellow paint has been scraped off! We will get those straightened out in La Paz.

Got into El Rosario after dark but got parked without incident. We know we were in Mexico after spending a "night of 1000 roosters"!

Onward to two of my favorite places along Hwy 1. The boulder fields near Catavina just ask to have you take pictures. Here is Jeff and his family experiencing their first time in the boulder fields.

The colors are so striking.

You know it's Christmas time in the desert when you see a tumble weed snowman!

San Ignacio........I love this place. Never seem to have enough time when we are here.

Pompano has a recent great thread on San Ignacio. Please take a look at it! http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=43174

Manger scene in the plaza.

On the side of the Mission. Don't go any farther Brody!

Inside the Mission. I think Madalyn is praying for Brody!

Finally five days after leaving Lebanon, Or. we are in our spot at Campestre Maranatha in La Paz! Now dig out the car and give it a good washin and ready to enjoy sun, water and family! But not necessarily in that order.

Other family flying at different times this week. Will be a great Christmas here in La Paz.

DENNIS - 12-20-2009 at 02:37 PM

Great pics and road trip. Thanks. Merry Christmas.

vandenberg - 12-20-2009 at 03:04 PM

Don and family,
Glad you made it safely down there.
Sorry, we didn't get to see you folks.
But, always a next time.
Have a great vacation and Barb and I wish you a Merry Christmas and a great 2010.

Vandenberg

fixtrauma - 12-20-2009 at 03:13 PM

We were running several hours behind our schedule. You know how the baja is. Got into Mulege well after dark. (Breaking my own rules about night driving). I was going to e-mail you from Pompano's and forgot. Sorry for the confusion and hope to see you on another journey down.

Don

wessongroup - 12-20-2009 at 03:17 PM

Thanks much for sharing, great views of the Baja.. :):)

Steps fixed

fixtrauma - 12-22-2009 at 07:52 AM

A welder and his son from Chemetla removed the steps from the motorhome and that evening had them back in place looking and acting like new. Good job!

Count on it.......we will check the step every time on the way home!

[Edited on 12-22-2009 by fixtrauma]

David K - 12-22-2009 at 08:46 AM

Very Nice!

Merry Christmas!

longlegsinlapaz - 12-22-2009 at 08:48 AM

Welcome back to the neighborhood!:bounce: Have a great time with your family & here's wishing you no more mishaps!

tripledigitken - 12-22-2009 at 08:55 AM

What a great Christmas you have planned. Thanks for posting.

Merry Christmas

Ken

fixtrauma - 12-22-2009 at 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by longlegsinlapaz
Welcome back to the neighborhood!:bounce: Have a great time with your family & here's wishing you no more mishaps!

We just came back from driving past your house! Thanks for the welcome!

Loaded up!

fixtrauma - 12-22-2009 at 11:26 PM

Using the pickup to pack around 28 cots around the camp that we had just delivered to La Paz! :spingrin:

Hola Don & Linda!

Pompano - 12-23-2009 at 05:48 AM

Glad to see that you made it to La Paz unscathed from Coyote Bay. Thanks again for the Xmas gift of Rice Krispies and marshmallows. I've been enjoying the treats ever since..as has Co-pilot.

It was great to meet the rest of your wonderful family..especially those 3 grandchildren. I can well remember how different Baja becomes seeing it through the non-biased and wondrous eyes of kids.

Here's some of the fun we had the other day....and we hope you enjoy these memories many years from now.

Of course it's MANDATORY to have the standard group posed photo.

But I like these relaxed shots much better.

Nice eyes.

I sure enjoyed watching them kayak around Coyote Cove.

She really COULD hear the ocean in that seashell. :yes:

So sorry about the step and mirror damage, and glad to hear you got the step fixed. As you know, Don, the Baja Road is hairy at times.

LASTLY..THE CLASSIC FISHING REPORT:

This little FISHERMAN 'shows great potential' for his future fishing reports!

How big was that fish?

How big??

WOW!

Thanks Pompano!

fixtrauma - 12-23-2009 at 11:59 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol: You really did get Elijah in the classic fish story!!

The pictures sure remind us of a great morning at Coyote Bay. The kids will enjoy looking at them.

Got the pool nearly filled today. About 10 truck loads ought to get her done.

Getting into the Christmas spirit here in La Paz!

fishbuck - 12-24-2009 at 12:12 AM

Awesome! Nice family.:cool:

fixtrauma - 12-24-2009 at 12:29 AM

Thanks fishbuck. What a dream to experience this trip with part of our family like this. Hope to do much more and with the rest of them in the future.

Returning to Lebanon

fixtrauma - 1-4-2010 at 01:18 PM

Mari Lou and her husband put on a great Carne Asada meal for us.

Josef's Cafe Exquisito along Hwy-1 at Km-11 out front of Campestre Maranatha. All lite up for Christmas. Stop for a coffee and Wi-fi if needed.

Leaving La Paz the morning of the 1st.

BajaNomad at the Plaza at San Ignacio.

Love the old buildings in San Ignacio.

Picture opportunities all around.

Spent the afternoon and night at Playa Santispac.

Doing a little clamming with the low tide. Full moon helped that a lot.

Had a great sunset.

The moon gave a good showing too!

Stayed the next night at Santa Ynez. Enjoyed some great food.

Rediculous amount of vendors for the 1 1/2 hours at SY. Difficult weaving through the carts at times as they "created" their own lanes.

Bajahowodd - 1-4-2010 at 01:43 PM

Wow! Could that trip have been any better? Thanks for sharing the great photos.