BajaNomad

San Ignacio - Scorpion Bay

DianaT - 1-19-2010 at 11:31 AM

Anyone recently been on the upper or lower road from San Ignacio to Scorpion Bay?

Mostly interested in upper road as we are expecting a huge swell and high tides.

And from there, need current info on road to La Purisima and Commondu.

OH, is there any diesel available in Scorpion Bay?

Thanks

[Edited on 1-19-2010 by DianaT]

rts551 - 1-19-2010 at 01:29 PM

oh. where is Scorpion Bay?

arbee - 1-19-2010 at 01:44 PM

I went from Scorpion Bay to San Ignacio on Wednesday and the roads are fine. Forget about getting to Comondu from La Purisimain a truck. No road any longer, only big boulders.

[Edited on 1-19-2010 by arbee]

Barry A. - 1-19-2010 at 01:46 PM

-----on the Pacific Coast serving the town of San Juanico north of Mag Bay, and south of San Ignacio Lagoon.

Pg 38 in the Baja Almanac.

Barry

Barry A. - 1-19-2010 at 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by arbee
I went from Scorpion Bay to San Ignacio on Wednesday and the roads are fine. Forget about getting to Comondu from La Purisimain a truck. No road any longer, only big boulders.

------are you serious??? No road at all??? can a jeep (or X-Terra) make it?? Will it be repaired???

Barry

David K - 1-19-2010 at 01:50 PM

Hi Barry, I think Ralph knows... I think he was giving DT a hard time because she used the 'secret surfer' code name 'Scorpion Bay' for San Juanico/ Punta Pequeña! :lol::light:

[Edited on 1-20-2010 by David K]

arbee - 1-19-2010 at 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Quote:

------are you serious??? No road at all??? can a jeep (or X-Terra) make it?? Will it be repaired???

Barry

The only way is an experienced dirtbiker or a burro. It probably will be repaired eventually but there are other priorities at the moment.

CP - 1-19-2010 at 04:50 PM

We sent a friend on a moto on that La Purisima-Comondu-Loreto route last week and he is not speaking to us right now....

rts551 - 1-19-2010 at 05:12 PM

Its been out for a while

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Quote:

Barry

rts551 - 1-19-2010 at 05:15 PM

Who me? Oh San Juanico

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Hi Barry, I think Ralph knows... I think he was giving DT a hard time because she used a 'secret surfer' code name for San Jacinto/ Punta Pequeña! LOL

David K - 1-19-2010 at 05:26 PM

Quote:

Well... that 'new' road is parallel to the Camino Real, built 280 years ago... You can ride a mule still on it!

Here are maps and satellite images of the Camino Real and modern roads... in this part, from Guadalupe to La Purisima to Comondu: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=37233

Like that old mission trail stuff? I have mapped and many space images of all the Jesuit El Camino Real and linked them all here: http://vivabaja.com/missions2/page13.html

[Edited on 1-20-2010 by David K]

Paulclark - 1-19-2010 at 05:40 PM

We did the San Juanico - La Ballena - Mulege road a couple of weeks ago -- slow going and took a long day. Rough going and 4x4 --

oladulce - 1-19-2010 at 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CP
We sent a friend on a moto on that La Purisima-Comondu-Loreto route last week and he is not speaking to us right now....

:lol:

DianaT, CP didn't mention that her friend rode his dualsport moto all the way down from CA and he isn't a newcomer to off road travel so that stretch must be in pretty bad shape.

Send out a flare if you decide to make the trip and you guys feel like stopping by- we'll be here.

DianaT - 1-20-2010 at 03:55 PM

Thanks for the current information some of you offered. We did the La Purisima to Mulege road a few years ago and did not need our 4WD---too bad it is not in as good of shape.

Guess we will not consider La Purisima to Comondu---thanks.

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Who me? Oh San Juanico

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Hi Barry, I think Ralph knows... I think he was giving DT a hard time because she used a 'secret surfer' code name for San Jacinto/ Punta Pequeña! LOL

Ralph, you did not know I know that surfer lingo?? Yes, it is San Juanico or was that San Jacinto?? :lol:

rts551 - 1-20-2010 at 03:58 PM

I just don't get out enough I guess and others can do no wrong

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=43717

motoged - 1-25-2010 at 12:13 PM

Some of the road between San Juanico and Commondu last summer.....no real reason to drop your bike unless you think it is too rough:

[Edited on 1-25-2010 by motoged]

[Edited on 1-25-2010 by motoged]