BajaNomad

Tires question

Baja Bucko - 2-6-2010 at 10:23 AM

Don't know where else to pose this question-80% of my "off-roading" time in Baja has been on a mule for over 35 years so I'll try here.

I have a 2003 Ford Ranger 4wd stick-bought it w very low miles abt 5 years ago. It came with more tire than it needed-my question is it time to buy new tires and what should I get considering that:

the driving it consists of every year is about 3000 highway (to & from Baja), winter ice & snow at home for maybe 30 days, less than 300 miles off of pavement (driving to remote ranchos etc in (Baja). Light load except for Baja trips when the back is usually packed w stuff for camping & pack trips plus big spare).

The tires my Pulgita came with are General Grabber AT2
LT 265/73R16
123/1200 M.S
rim is 17", total tire h is 31
made is USA

There seems to be plenty of tread but I am seeing some cracks in the circumference abt 1" in from the outer adge of the tires.

These tires pretty much weigh as much as I do on a skinny day and I really don't need tire issues driving alone in the middle of somewhere or on Highway 1 south of the border. The spare does not fit under the truck since I was told these tires were not stock and something I can't remember abt the rims too.

So for you tire experts can I please have some suggestions? The size of these tires are ok clearancewise for the times I've traveled truly off-road (ie w Ralph at Sta Inez for example) but I spend MOST of drive time traveling paved roads to the border and also south to my trip starting points (usually within 20 miles of the paved highway.

Looking forward to hearing what I should get...is US made an issue these days-I don't really want anything to do w China stuff. Who can recommend a very RELIABLE suitable set of tires?

This little truck has gotten me in and out of some pretty rough places in spite of its owner's driving skills and hasn't let me down yet.

Muchas Gracias! BB

So is it time for new tires? Do I get this same type of tire

:?:

David K - 2-6-2010 at 10:51 AM

So many love the BFG All Terrain T/As here, it is almost silly to suggest another brand.

I have had Cooper, Toyo, and Pep Boys (made by Cooper) tires on my 3 Tacomas once the stock BFG Rugged Trails were replaced. All were good except the Cooper Discoverer STT... which was good for mud/ snow/ rocks, but terrible in sand and was very noisy on the highway.

I posted several photos and tire subjects here on Nomad... Just use the search or scroll back in the Off Road forum to see them and all others.

[Edited on 2-6-2010 by David K]

gnukid - 2-6-2010 at 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
So many love the BFG All Terrain T/As here, it is almost silly to suggest another brand.

[Edited on 2-6-2010 by David K]

I have had many bad experiences with BFG All Terrain T/As falling apart within 1-2 years and would not recommend them to anyone. Some BFG tires are fine and others have broken apart for unexplained reasons.

I would stick with a real tire and shy away from serious off road tread which is a poor performer and has little overall benefit.

Baja Bucko - 2-6-2010 at 11:06 AM

Thank you for the input...

BUT what is a "real" tire ie example of what I should be looking for?

China, India???

bajaguy - 2-6-2010 at 11:08 AM

Would be nice to know which tires are made in the USA!!!!

gnukid - 2-6-2010 at 11:12 AM

A regular road tire works well in every situation, such as michelin XZX or something known for being a long lasting road tire.

Large tread such as BFG off road tires do not give good handling or mileage, they are expensive and heavy. I can't tell you how many I have seen blow up for no reason other than someone driving a little too fast such as 20kph over a rise or dip at normal street presure, its absurd. Look it up there are endless reports of the BFG tire tearing apart under normal use and when it does it puts you in severe danger. I have photos too.

I have some michelins on one of my cars that I drive off road and they have lasted for 10 years unlike the off road tires which are good for 3 years. Actually I would consider off road tires unsafe for the freeway road at the speeds many travel in California.

Baja Bucko - 2-6-2010 at 11:15 AM

Should ply re sidewalls etc be considered in this case?

TMW - 2-6-2010 at 11:15 AM

I use BFG TA KOs but I also carry a Remington Wide Brute as a second spare. The Wide Brute tread will not last as long as the TA/KO but for the price it's probably the same cost per mile. An LT265/75R16 TA/KO sells for about $140 and the Wide Brute for less than $90. LT=Light Truck, for less money you could go for a P265, P=Passenger card tire. Which is what a lot of new 1/2 ton trucks come with. That what my GMC Z71 4x4 came with.

Tires do have a shelf life of usually 6 years and cracks on the sidewall is from age.

You say your tires are LT265/73R16 but the rim is a 17 inch. You've mis-read one or the other. The tire should be a LT265/70 or 75R16. That tire will only fit a 16 inch rim. If your rim is 17 inches the tire must be an R17.

TMW - 2-6-2010 at 11:24 AM

I wouldn't read too much into the sidewall ply ratings. BFG and some others have 3 plies most LT truck tires are 2 plies. The sidewall comes into play usually when you air down causing the tire to flatten out where the sidewall can come into contact with rocks on the road. LT tires usually have a more square tread with reenforcement where the tread meets the sidewall. Passenger car tires have a more rounded edge between tread and sidewall and that's why a passenger tire is not recommended for off hwy driving especially if you air down. But who hasn't seen a Mexican family driving down some rough road in a 51 chevy with bald passenger tires?

Barry A. - 2-6-2010 at 01:16 PM

I have 2 - 4x4 SUV's and one 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup, all used extensively off road in Baja, and on the highway---------all have BFG All terrain TA KO's on them and I have NEVER, I repeat NEVER, had any problems with them at all-------great mileage, great traction on hyway and off road, quiet, and tough as nails. All told I have gone thru 6 sets of them over the past 20 years, or so--------I would never have anything else, since they have been so good to me (why would I change??). They are expensive, tho, but I obviously think they are worth it.

I have had bad problems with the BFG Ruggeg Trails (flats and broken tires), however, and don't recommend them for serious off-roading, tho they are fine on the hyway.

Just my personal experience, of course.

Barry

arbee - 2-6-2010 at 01:18 PM

Go to tirerack.com and you can compare different tires and reviews. The Firestone Destination AT has very good reviews and is reasonably priced. I have these on a 4x4 Tacoma and they are the best all terrain tires that I've used including the BFG ATs.

Barry A. - 2-6-2010 at 01:54 PM

By the way, Bucko, the industry suggests changing tires when they get to be 7 years old, (as somebody already said) regardless of the tread left on them. That certainly is a safe bet. On the other hand, if you don't drive fast, and are aware constantly that a tire could blow at any time and take the necessary precautions, then you could risk it and let them get older. I have had many old tires blow out, but more have just kept rolling along like the energizer bunny for years and years. It is all a matter of your personal "risk adversion" and what you are prepared for. Since I expect an old tire to blow, when it does blow I simply pull over and put the spare on. But if you drive fast, and are not paying attention, a blowout could be a disaster and you could crash, into someone else, or go off the road.

Certainly changing them out after 7 years is the best and safest advice, and if you can afford it why not get new ones?

--------and most tires these days that are advertised as Off Road ready, are pretty safe and reliable, despite all our personal preferences, expriences, and biases. Generally speaking, you get what you pay for.

Barry

Bob and Susan - 2-6-2010 at 04:55 PM

this is ALWAYS interesting...

only a minute long...

Barry A. - 2-6-2010 at 07:29 PM

Good video---------but, he did not tell us what those "numbers" mean when it comes to temperature, tire wear, etc. so what good does it do to look at them??

------also, I went out and looked at the tires on all my vehicles, and could not find that "date code" that indicates when they were produced/made on any of them. Very strange.

Barry

BajaWarrior - 2-6-2010 at 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Good video---------but, he did not tell us what those "numbers" mean when it comes to temperature, tire wear, etc. so what good does it do to look at them??

------also, I went out and looked at the tires on all my vehicles, and could not find that "date code" that indicates when they were produced/made on any of them. Very strange.

Barry

If your whites are out, they're on the back side. 1/4" numbering in an oval very close to the rim. Example: 1408 would be the 14th week in 2008

Norm - 2-7-2010 at 08:27 AM

TOYO IS THE ONLY TIRE YOU WILL EVER NEED !!!!!!

Bob and Susan - 2-7-2010 at 08:37 AM

this is always interesting too...

who makes what tire...:?:

http://www.tiredefects.com/private-label-private-brand-tires...

Hook - 2-7-2010 at 09:43 AM

I'm a fan of the Michelin LTX-MS line. They are, or were, available at Costco.

I am another who has seen multiple failures of BFG AT-KO tires for no apparent reason. Actually, the apparent reason was manufacturing defect which BFG disallowed on a friends tires. They were about a year old, had about 80% of their tread. Separation between the treads in one case; a bubble blowout in another.

The LTX-MS tires have given me 47k miles on a 1 ton, diesel truck that had a 2500# Lance camper on the back from probably 60-70% of the driving. And that was where a few of the wear bars were showing. These were load range E tires tires that were kept at 50-80psi, depending on the load being carried.

At least for the load range E tires, there are three steel belts under the tread. It is a two-ply sidewall. They are much quieter than the BFGs on the road.............not that it matters on a diesel truck. :lol:

I really wonder what these tires would do on a much lighter vehicle like a Tacoma or a Ranger? I have visions of someone getting close to 90k, with proper care.

These tires draw rave reviews on tirerack.com. Not inexpensive, though.

EDIT: I see Michelin has updated these tires to a new LTX-MS2. Still many of the same great reviews. Many are involving snow, though. But some of the former owners of the original LTXs are saying the new versions are quieter and grip better. I'll probably be buying my 3rd set this summer when I return to the US.

[Edited on 2-7-2010 by Hook]

mulegejim - 2-7-2010 at 09:55 AM

You might want to check out the Yokoyama Geolandar line of tires also. I have them on my 2005 Tacoma - very good on and off road. Not too noisy on pavement either.

Baja Bucko - 2-7-2010 at 10:00 AM

Wow-who woulda thought tires could be so interesting-I am learning LOTS!

Went to Tire Rack and read a kazillion reviews on Michilin ATs etc-just have to see if they the brand is available here in very rural Oregon and if I can afford them-all we have are Les Schwabs....

Still hoping to hear more from this crowd. Haven't heard a thing on the tires that are on my little truck now.

The rims are 16" so I stand corrected.

One last comment this truck is pretty much used only for Baja trips and when I need 4WD on ice and snow. It will be awhile before it gets 60,000 more miles at this rate. I do want a reliable SAFE tire which the Mich sounds like BUT if I need to change tires every 6 yrs or so ....ummmm. Lots to think about.

Barry A. - 2-7-2010 at 10:11 AM

This morning, while (again) looking for the manufacturing date on the side of my BFG AT's, (which I still can't find), I discovered a wood screw imbedded in the face of the tread near the outer edge---------it was a measured 1 inch long, and still did not get thru to the air-chamber. Now THAT is a lot of rubber!!! These were load range "C" 285 x 16 tires on my '94 F-250 Ford pickup.

(that date code has GOT to be somewhere, but I sure can't find them.) :no:

Barry

TMW - 2-7-2010 at 11:09 AM

Barry look under the big BFGoodrich name for DOT. On my truck the two new tires I had installed last Nov. read DOT BFYU UJ11 3809. The 38th week of 2009. On the two older tires it says DOT BFYU UF11 then further to the right in smaller print 088 YUU F11 with each set of number/letters above the other. I am assuming it's the 8th week of 2008 because that fits the time frame I puschased them.

Neal Johns - 2-7-2010 at 11:21 AM

"The tires my Pulgita came with are General Grabber AT2
LT 265/73R16
123/1200 M.S
rim is 17", total tire h is 31
made is USA"

BB, LT 265/73R16 says the rim is 16" while "rim is 17" says 17". make sure you get the right tire size (must match the rim, measured at the seating surface inside the rim, not the overall diameter of the rim).

The tire of choice for our 102 vehicle Desert Explorers group is BFG All Terrain T/A ko tires but any tire made for dirt and sand (all terrain) with 3 ply sidewalls should be fine. Stay away from Passenger tires; they have a P in front of the name and will not hold up on dirt roads.
Stop by on your way down?
Neal

Baja Bucko - 2-7-2010 at 05:42 PM

Thanks guys-still reeling in the information...

Hay Neal-yea I think I will drop by on the way down if you are home. You and w#1 are always off on some adventure.

What abt the freeway driving miles with the tires you recommend, Neal??

Paulina - 2-7-2010 at 07:39 PM

Baja Bucko,

It is nice to see your name on the board again. I can't help but tell you that the first picture that came to my mind when I read the title of your post was little BFG AT KO tire tread horse boots on your mules.

Nice to see you too Neal.

WIW #1
P<*)))>{

Tire Numbers Interpreted (Size)

David K - 2-8-2010 at 05:13 PM

Okay... to take the video from Bob & Susan one step further...

Use my tire for example: 265/70-R16 (R= radial)

A) 265 is the width in metric (mm)... to convert to American
inches, divide by 25.4.

265 / 25.4 = 10.43 inches wide.

B) The 70 number is the aspect ratio (or the height of
the sidewall as a percentage of the width).

My tire sidewall is 70% of the width or 10.43 X .70 = 7.30
inches.

C) The wheel (rim) is 16 inches in diameter.

>>> To figure the height of the tire in inches:

The rim (16") plus the two sidewall widths 14.6" (7.3 + 7.3) = 30.6 inches tall. Since bigger is better, we men round up to say 31 inches! :lol:

The magic number to remember is the 25.4 to convert the number of millimeters to inches for the width of the tire.

[Edited on 2-9-2010 by David K]

Neal Johns - 2-8-2010 at 05:33 PM

BB, I don't keep track of the freeway miles so have no idea.

Another thing, the pressure on the sidewall is the maximum pressure for that tire, not the recommended running pressure. Recommended pressure is usually on the driver door opening (plate). Some people like to run 5lb. over recommended on the freeway, many run a few pounds less on dirt/sand/rocks (your normal Baja dirt roads :lol: ). I usually run 25lb. on the rear of my overloaded Tacoma on dirt, and frequently drive home with that pressure with no problems.
Neal

Baja Bucko - 2-8-2010 at 06:29 PM

Neal-the tires that came w the truck usually have abt 35 lbs-a little less off the road. One year I stopped at a San Diego Jiffy Lube-kinda place for an oil change on the way north and I got into an argument because since the tire SAID 80 that it MUST be filled to at least 70....I said NO please leave my tires alone. They wouldn't listen and said that they were at risk if the tires were left at 35....As soon as I pulled out of the place I jumped out and lowered the pressure to 35...geeesh.

Visited the Les Scwab today and I don't have much of a choice for tires....Mich would cost an arm and a leg in shipping costs since they special order that brand. So what I have a choice of-is either 6 ply or 10 ply....

The brands are Goodyear 6 ply Wild Country XTX Sport AS OWL

Toyo Open Country A/T ALL POSITION OWL 6 ply

Toyo " " 10 ply

Thats it .....The heaviest load I carry is usually stuff for multi-wk mule trips ie a few saddles, pack gear, food and stuff for the ranch families.

Man it amazes me how much these tires are going to cost but it is time.

I will go to TireRack.com (great site-thanks!) to read reviews but I think I don't have much choice in this rural area.

Baja Bucko - 2-8-2010 at 06:50 PM

OK this can't be good-NONE of the mentioned brands are listed on TireRack...ooops.

David K - 2-8-2010 at 07:54 PM

Teddi... Just look at the selections made by Toyo and Cooper... Both very very good tire manufactorers and both have several styles from the Mud/ snow type to standard truck/ SUV types that all will be good in Baja.

Cooper is American , and Toyo is Japanese both sold by Americans in the USA.

I have seen FAR too many BFG All Terrrain T/As with seperated or blown out side walls. Heck, Amo Pescar with brand new ones got a side wall puncture on a sand road! Neal Johns helped us plug it up at San Gregorio in 2001! That was the trip we met you and your family... and delivered the fishing pole from Whistler.

[Edited on 2-9-2010 by David K]

Barry A. - 2-8-2010 at 08:46 PM

Under certain conditions ANY tire will puncture except ones made from solid rubber-------even BFG TA KO's. For instance, I personaly have had tread separations with top of the line Firestone, and Cooper's, but never BFG TA KO's. Not sure what that means-------but you can be sure that I would never buy those 2 brands again.

Here is another personal prejudice--------I would NEVER shop at Les Schwab when I can buy the same tire at AMERICA'S TIRE COMPANY cheaper --------heck, ATC even beat Costco tire sales price-wise.

All we can go by, and know is valid, is our own experience----------and obviously that varies from person to person, as all these posts indicate. :lol:.

Good luck, all.

Barry

[Edited on 2-9-2010 by Barry A.]

Bob and Susan - 2-9-2010 at 06:50 AM

david

some coopers are made in america and some in china
you need to look at the tire

some toyos are made in japan and some in the usa and some in the uk

toyo has a deal with general too
its a pretty big company with many arms

David K - 2-9-2010 at 08:31 AM

Thanks Bob... I did mean to indicate what country those companies were based. In today's world, products are made all over! My 2010 Toyota (Japan) was made in Tijuana!

Hang on for that big storm coming your way!

Get into the ligthouse and stay above the water!!:saint:

classicbajabronco - 2-28-2010 at 09:54 AM

My advice is to Go either BFG AT, MT, or MT2. I just boughtthe MT2 and they are awesome.

Why do i say this. I have lived in baja 6 years full time, not one issue with BFG besides a rock through the sidewall which was my mistake.

The biggest reason for BFG's in Baja:= availability....you can find BFG's in nearly every tire store in baja...try that with a Les Schwab or other brand. I'd bet, you couldn't buy a new Les Schwab replacement in Baja, or a Nitto, or a Super Swamper....my find one only by special order only at 2 weeks out.

just my .02

classicbajabronco - 2-28-2010 at 10:02 AM

of those 6yrs 95% off-pavement driving since I live on the eastcape.

roadhog - 3-1-2010 at 12:02 AM

traded the E250GT's Hankook's for Toyo A/T 10 plys. The Hankooks were unacceptable slippery. I have 5 for sale at 800 miles.
The Toyo's howl then break in. Maybe I went deaf from the Kenwood. Gas Mileage prob not so good but Toyo's are made well and wear well for the coarse dog bone treads. Yet Great in 3" water at speed, outstanding on wet clay uphill hairpins with Ford's LSD. Prob good in sand. Significant grip.
At speed on a dry road with a load, Toyo A/T's give ample nibbling warning before sliding. The van dirt tracks well on a wet road and I imagine on wet dirt, Toyo sliding smoothly, evenly with control and feeling.
Balanced A/T, quality performance on pavement and dirt.

roadhog - 3-1-2010 at 12:06 AM

right. the Toyo stop quickly on dry pavement. Haven't had a quick stop on dirt, wet dirt or wet pavement.

roadhog - 3-1-2010 at 12:50 AM

with 4WD, going to a Michelin M/S with a less aggressive tread than a Toyo or Yokohama A/T is an effective choice. Or Bridgestone M/S. If commuting in the rain then lean toward an A/T for control on flooded roads. What you see and pay for is what you'll be driving on. Seeing 'it' is the problem. Example, Yoko Geolander 3 ply has dogbones running paralllel to driving direction where the Toyo's dogbones run less so for more grip. Two completely different tires advertsied in the same category.
In quality and grip in the Michelin/Bridgestone class, you'll see finer mouldings, more sipes and sipe detail with a quality tire and less with a cheaper tire. The inexpensive tires mimic expensive designs trying to fool your eye and inexpertise at examining the treads. One funny are anti hyrdoplanning groove(s) where the maker saves % rubber-maybe 20% ? leabing the customer with less everything.
Hi mileage tires are unsafe tires in emergency conditions. Sometimes you get what you don't pay for.

roadhog - 3-1-2010 at 11:17 PM

AND WITH THE 4WD on M/S, spring for an extra rim and two 10 ply sand tires for the rear axle for when you get there.

Bob and Susan - 3-2-2010 at 06:11 AM

10 ply sand tire? what's that????

most are soft 2 ply

sandtire.jpg - 2kB

Sharksbaja - 3-2-2010 at 02:35 PM

Getting ready to get my 4th set of Toyos. The first set were A/Ts. A very smooth and quiet tire. Pretty good in deep sand and wet pavement. Not so good at gravel, snow or mud or rocks.
The last 2 sets of Toyo M/Ts have not failed me once. Although I occasionally pick up nails that is the only problem I've had.:lol:

M/Ts, Great all around tire. Low noise, great off-road traction, except watch loose gravel with hi-inflation. Awesome in mud, snow, pretty good in sand if deflated properly.Good adhesion on hard surfaces. Low chunking on rocky terrain. Suprisingly smooth and quiet at hi speeds. .
A well balanced tire.

Average about 30k miles per set but they still have at least another 10k on the tread.

I think the M/Ts have a harder rubber or at least they seem to work/road harden as they age.:yes:

I drive a variety of on-road and off-road conditions and have been very happy with them.
40-45psi or 18-20psi

[Edited on 3-3-2010 by Sharksbaja]

Ken Cooke - 3-13-2010 at 12:32 AM

I have run the TrXus MT tires for the past 100,000 miles on my Rubicon and what an incredible Baja tire!!

I want to try the new GoodYear MT/R with Kevlar or I will go with another set of Interco TrXus MT tires.

I have run the BFG MT and AT/KO in Baja, and I was not satisfied with the traction in wet dirt with the AT/KO. I enjoy driving on rocks and snow, so the All-Terrain wasn't very e0ntertaining for my style of Baja travels. On dry dirt roads, the AT/KO tires slipped (YIKES!) on the dirt road from Mike's Sky Rancho to Rancho El Coyote. This could have caused FATAL results, and I will never drive an All-Terrain tire near cliffs that are not aired-down for better traction.

Running the TrXus MT in Baja

Blown BFG MT/KM getting switched for a TrXus MT tire.:lol:

The Goodyear Kevlar MT/R is LIGHTER in weight than the Toyo MT - look for yourself. Plus, the tire is LOWER PRICED than most others. I'm giving this tire a good look over when I look at replacing my TrXus MT tires.

Sharksbaja - 3-13-2010 at 01:00 AM

Nice aggressive tread. Are those directional tires??

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/272187-new-goodyear-mtr-kevlar-2.html

Ken Cooke - 3-13-2010 at 01:14 AM

Here's the thread where you can follow along...

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Nice aggressive tread. Are those directional tires??

Directional Tire:

Directional designs are recognized by the grooves in the tread that swipe away in a backward angle from the center of the tread face and rotate in only one direction. A direction of rotation arrow is located on both sidewalls of the tire. Directional tires enhance straight-line acceleration, provide maximum dry traction, and better wet performance which helps to reduce rolling resistance as well as providing shorter stopping distances.

Once you mount these MTRs on your rims, it doesn't matter which corner you place them on because the inside will always be facing in (unless you take them off the rim of course). Functionally, they are no different than any other un-directional tire.

The asymmetrical (not symmetrical) tread design looks directional, but Goodyear says the tires are NOT directional, can run either way and have been tested that way. For those like us who don't like white lettering, the new MTR with Kevlar might disappoint, as many sizes will have white outline lettering. That means white outline letters out, ready to be scraped into white sidewalls by rocks. The larger sizes (up to 42") will have black lettering, so will be fine.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Side by side comparison with RED ARROWs pointing to outside:
With the OWL either out or in, the direction of lugs (inside and outside) stays the same. Even though they are asymetric. I have confidence GY stating that it would not matter which side you run (as long youre consistent with the rim placement), I would run it with the two big lugs out from the 1st picture just to be comfortable.

Edit: If there are no indication on the tire which is in or out you can look at the second picture in how it would look with the arrow pointing inside with the tow big lugs outside. But as you can see if thats the case, the two outside lugs would be different direction from the left side of the truck (compared to the first top picture). Making it seem they are supposed to be directional.

Sharksbaja - 3-13-2010 at 01:39 AM

I don't know how much lighter those tires are but most of the weight can lie in the rim. A substantial rim is required for BIG vehicles with BIG tires.

Small vehicles like Jeeps suffer more wear and tear when running big meats. Hell, my old Power Wagon has gone though many sets of wheel bearings, tie-rod ends, ball-joints etc.

Fortunately bearings and the like are well proven and suited for multiple applications and are not rocket science to replace.:bounce:

If you run oversize tires they will ewventually exact a toll on related hardware upsteam, it's a matter of simple physics.:) Don't believe these guys that say they never experience wear and failure. You'll notice DK keeps his tire size down, though I don't know if he would put BIG tires on his rig if he actually owned it.:lol:

Anyhoo the trade off is not getting stuck as easy or going places not suited to lower profile vehicles with smaller tires. The down side is navigating or attempting to navigate those old narrow Jeep tracks and low branches!;)

Non-directional tires have a few obvious advantages Ken, I think it would be foolish to use these tires for hiway use. I can imagine they are great off-road tires.

Sharksbaja - 3-13-2010 at 01:43 AM

Well Ken I've run many non and directional over many many years. Those treads IMHO will not behave the same if they are reversed. How could they. That looks pretty obvious to me but what do I know!:lol:

Non-directional tires have concentric reversible treads/tires. Non-directional tires have lugs which must be mounted with the arrow pointing proper installation. Wty the hell else would they put an arrow on them? Good grief!!!:rolleyes:

[Edited on 3-13-2010 by Sharksbaja]

David K - 3-13-2010 at 09:05 AM

I always have purchased tires that matched the size of the ones the truck came with... in my case the Tacoma TRD Off Road uses 265/70-16s. I have not found anyplace in Baja that a bigger tire would have made any difference...The road to Mision Santa Maria is the bench mark for ground clearance and tire character since it has all terrains (except snow): sand, rock, mud...

The first time I drove a truck in there (2003), I had Futura Dakotas (made by Cooper for Pep Boys... They changed the name from Futura to Destiny, since then). These are very inexpensive all terrain tires recommended to me by Bedman. They lasted only 25,000 miles but were pro-rated to 50,000 so the next set were 50% off...

The second time (2007), I had Cooper Discoverer STTs, a great looking mud terrain tire, that never got a flat or failed in mud (Laguna Salada) or rocks (Santa Maria), but was way noisy and terrible in sand (I renamed them grave diggers). They lasted up to 40,000 miles.... (I don't let tires get to smooth before replacing them... On my first Tacoma, I got way too many flats once the tire's meat was thin.

After the STT noisy grave diggers, I had a set of Toyo Open Country A/Ts and a set of Cooper Discoverer ATRs... both were good, quiet truck tires and did fine in the sand...

When it's time to get new tires for my 2010 Tacoma (that comes with BFG Rugged Trail T/As), I am thinking of Mickey Thompson Baja ATZs... ??

Neal Johns - 3-13-2010 at 11:01 AM

Correction to DK's Tire Height Calculation of 2/8/10

Change in Bold and size

>>> To figure the height of the tire in inches:

The rim (16") plus the two sidewall heights 14.6" (7.3 + 7.3) = 30.6 inches tall. Since bigger is better, we men round up to say 31 inches! :lol:

Brought to you by Friends of BFG :lol::lol::lol:

There's a few places in Baja where a 35" tire can be optimized

Ken Cooke - 3-13-2010 at 01:31 PM

Quote:
I have not found anyplace in Baja that a bigger tire would have made any difference...The road to Mision Santa Maria is the bench mark for ground clearance and tire character since it has all terrains (except snow): sand, rock, mud...

I have found a few places in Baja where a 35" tire isn't required, but make travel much easier...

Caņon Enmedio - Pole Line Road (outside of Mexicali, Baja, Mexico)

Smuggler's Canyon (outside of Tecate, Baja, Mexico)

This guy was running 35" BFG MT/KMs, and he still had a bear of a time climbing this loose rock outcropping.

35" tires allow you to take fancier lines as well.

Smaller tires=bigger rocks (in Baja)

Regardless, the Rubicon's w/33s and with 35s all had a great time on the trail that day in Tecate (photo in Tecate, CA).

classicbajabronco - 5-23-2010 at 09:03 AM

where is bajacrawlers located out of? any early broncos in that club?

I agree baja has lots and lots of places were a stock 4x4 truck might as well be a 2wd truck. I am locked and running 33" daily and 35" when I want to play.

Ken Cooke - 5-23-2010 at 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by classicbajabronco
where is bajacrawlers located out of? any early broncos in that club?

I agree baja has lots and lots of places were a stock 4x4 truck might as well be a 2wd truck. I am locked and running 33" daily and 35" when I want to play.

Unfortunately, Baja Crawlers has ceased to exist:
http://www.baja4x4.org/foro/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10548

Barry A. - 5-23-2010 at 10:59 AM

Quote:
I always have purchased tires that matched the size of the ones the truck came with... in my case the Tacoma TRD Off Road uses 265/70-16s. I have not found anyplace in Baja that a bigger tire would have made any difference...The road to Mision Santa Maria is the bench mark for ground clearance and tire character since it has all terrains (except snow): sand, rock, mud...

As always, IT DEPENDS-----------My F-250 4x4 came with 235 85x16's M&S (reads "narrow") and much to my embarrassment I was always burying it on some beach in Baja, having to rely on my winch or somebody else to get me off the beach. When I shifted tires to 285 75 x 16 M&S (reads "fat") I gained some elevation & slightly higher gearing, but mainly I no longer was getting stuck on the beaches, and the ride was much more comfortable.

By the way, I have not encountered any mechanical problems with this "upgrade", and have put about 50K miles since going to the bigger tire. I did have a professional alignment shop to the work on my front end to make sure it was all aligned correctly, including the proper wheels with proper off-sets.

Granted, most vehs. designed for 4x4 travel lately are coming with much wider tires than in the past, and in that sense what David says makes a lot of sense. My 2007 X-terra came with 265 75X 16 tires, and that size works just fine, and I would not change tire size unless I somehow morphed into a serious rock-crawler like Ken. :o:lol:

Barry

David K - 5-23-2010 at 11:04 AM

Yes Barry... I agree with what you did with the Ford... I was just stating that the tires Toyota (and Nissan) put on our 4WD Off Road trucks don't really need to be bigger to do the job. I may go to a 75 apect ratio from the 70 to gain a half inch in ground clearance... when I replace the BFGs.

classicbajabronco - 5-23-2010 at 11:22 AM

When it's time to get new tires for my 2010 Tacoma (that comes with BFG Rugged Trail T/As), I am thinking of Mickey Thompson Baja ATZs... ??

Can you buy those tires in Baja? i've never seen them for sale down here.

Barry A. wrote;

As always, IT DEPENDS-----------My F-250 4x4 came with 235 85x16's M&S (reads "narrow") and much to my embarrassment I was always burying it on some beach in Baja, having to rely on my winch or somebody else to get me off the beach. When I shifted tires to 285 75 x 16 M&S (reads "fat") I gained some elevation & slightly higher gearing, but mainly I no longer was getting stuck on the beaches, and the ride was much more comfortable.

I just did the same thing to my f250 heavy duty diesel. 235 to 285 bfg mt. Bigtime improvement both on and off the road.

my Toyota 4runner runs 31" bfg at, instead of the stock 28" tires. This is an improvement offroad in 4lo, but the truck now needs to be regeared from 4.10 to 4.88 gears. It is now gutless, and needs to be whipped in order to accelerate

classicbajabronco - 5-23-2010 at 11:29 AM

Yes Barry... I agree with what you did with the Ford... I was just stating that the tires Toyota (and Nissan) put on our 4WD Off Road trucks don't really need to be bigger to do the job. I may go to a 75 apect ratio from the 70 to gain a half inch in ground clearance... when I replace the BFGs.

In the sand, the difference isn't the ground clearance it's the footprint in which you distribute the weight. the wider you go the more you float.

On my 66 bronco, I run 33" eldorado zr4(read cheap 2-ply) at 8psi when in the sand. I can run all day long in 2wd even climbing modertly steep dunes with a little speed and 400 ponies, I am running a detroit locker in the rear differential as well. This makes for a nice rooster tail and an empty gas tank...but it sure is a hell of a lot of fun.:lol:

when I go where there are rocks or other terrain that will kill a tire I run 35" BFG MTS/KM.

On my Diesel I run 285 75 16 bfg mt km2

I am a BFG guy, for the sole fact I can replace them in baja. I am a full timer in BCS and am not about to drive to SD to buy a set of tires.

If I was closer to the border or in CA I would be running Swamper iroc's or TSL's like Ken runs.

[Edited on 5-23-2010 by classicbajabronco]