Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Tires question
Baja Bucko
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2010 at 10:23 AM
Tires question

Don't know where else to pose this question-80% of my "off-roading" time in Baja has been on a mule for over 35 years so I'll try here.

I have a 2003 Ford Ranger 4wd stick-bought it w very low miles abt 5 years ago. It came with more tire than it needed-my question is it time to buy new tires and what should I get considering that:

the driving it consists of every year is about 3000 highway (to & from Baja), winter ice & snow at home for maybe 30 days, less than 300 miles off of pavement (driving to remote ranchos etc in (Baja). Light load except for Baja trips when the back is usually packed w stuff for camping & pack trips plus big spare).

The tires my Pulgita came with are General Grabber AT2
LT 265/73R16
123/1200 M.S
rim is 17", total tire h is 31
made is USA

There seems to be plenty of tread but I am seeing some cracks in the circumference abt 1" in from the outer adge of the tires.

These tires pretty much weigh as much as I do on a skinny day and I really don't need tire issues driving alone in the middle of somewhere or on Highway 1 south of the border. The spare does not fit under the truck since I was told these tires were not stock and something I can't remember abt the rims too.

So for you tire experts can I please have some suggestions? The size of these tires are ok clearancewise for the times I've traveled truly off-road (ie w Ralph at Sta Inez for example) but I spend MOST of drive time traveling paved roads to the border and also south to my trip starting points (usually within 20 miles of the paved highway.

Looking forward to hearing what I should get...is US made an issue these days-I don't really want anything to do w China stuff. Who can recommend a very RELIABLE suitable set of tires?

This little truck has gotten me in and out of some pretty rough places in spite of its owner's driving skills and hasn't let me down yet.

Muchas Gracias! BB

So is it time for new tires? Do I get this same type of tire

:?:

My other 4WD is a Baja Mule!

La Mula Mil Survivor 2013-2014!
1000 miles by mule from the tip to Tecate!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-6-2010 at 10:51 AM

So many love the BFG All Terrain T/As here, it is almost silly to suggest another brand.

I have had Cooper, Toyo, and Pep Boys (made by Cooper) tires on my 3 Tacomas once the stock BFG Rugged Trails were replaced. All were good except the Cooper Discoverer STT... which was good for mud/ snow/ rocks, but terrible in sand and was very noisy on the highway.

I posted several photos and tire subjects here on Nomad... Just use the search or scroll back in the Off Road forum to see them and all others.

[Edited on 2-6-2010 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2010 at 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
So many love the BFG All Terrain T/As here, it is almost silly to suggest another brand.

[Edited on 2-6-2010 by David K]

I have had many bad experiences with BFG All Terrain T/As falling apart within 1-2 years and would not recommend them to anyone. Some BFG tires are fine and others have broken apart for unexplained reasons.

I would stick with a real tire and shy away from serious off road tread which is a poor performer and has little overall benefit.
Baja Bucko
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2010 at 11:06 AM

Thank you for the input...

BUT what is a "real" tire ie example of what I should be looking for?

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 2-6-2010 at 11:08 AM
China, India???

Would be nice to know which tires are made in the USA!!!!

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2010 at 11:12 AM

A regular road tire works well in every situation, such as michelin XZX or something known for being a long lasting road tire.

Large tread such as BFG off road tires do not give good handling or mileage, they are expensive and heavy. I can't tell you how many I have seen blow up for no reason other than someone driving a little too fast such as 20kph over a rise or dip at normal street presure, its absurd. Look it up there are endless reports of the BFG tire tearing apart under normal use and when it does it puts you in severe danger. I have photos too.

I have some michelins on one of my cars that I drive off road and they have lasted for 10 years unlike the off road tires which are good for 3 years. Actually I would consider off road tires unsafe for the freeway road at the speeds many travel in California.
Baja Bucko
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2010 at 11:15 AM

Should ply re sidewalls etc be considered in this case?

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2010 at 11:15 AM

I use BFG TA KOs but I also carry a Remington Wide Brute as a second spare. The Wide Brute tread will not last as long as the TA/KO but for the price it's probably the same cost per mile. An LT265/75R16 TA/KO sells for about $140 and the Wide Brute for less than $90. LT=Light Truck, for less money you could go for a P265, P=Passenger card tire. Which is what a lot of new 1/2 ton trucks come with. That what my GMC Z71 4x4 came with.

Tires do have a shelf life of usually 6 years and cracks on the sidewall is from age.

You say your tires are LT265/73R16 but the rim is a 17 inch. You've mis-read one or the other. The tire should be a LT265/70 or 75R16. That tire will only fit a 16 inch rim. If your rim is 17 inches the tire must be an R17.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2010 at 11:24 AM

I wouldn't read too much into the sidewall ply ratings. BFG and some others have 3 plies most LT truck tires are 2 plies. The sidewall comes into play usually when you air down causing the tire to flatten out where the sidewall can come into contact with rocks on the road. LT tires usually have a more square tread with reenforcement where the tread meets the sidewall. Passenger car tires have a more rounded edge between tread and sidewall and that's why a passenger tire is not recommended for off hwy driving especially if you air down. But who hasn't seen a Mexican family driving down some rough road in a 51 chevy with bald passenger tires?
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 2-6-2010 at 01:16 PM

I have 2 - 4x4 SUV's and one 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup, all used extensively off road in Baja, and on the highway---------all have BFG All terrain TA KO's on them and I have NEVER, I repeat NEVER, had any problems with them at all-------great mileage, great traction on hyway and off road, quiet, and tough as nails. All told I have gone thru 6 sets of them over the past 20 years, or so--------I would never have anything else, since they have been so good to me (why would I change??). They are expensive, tho, but I obviously think they are worth it.

I have had bad problems with the BFG Ruggeg Trails (flats and broken tires), however, and don't recommend them for serious off-roading, tho they are fine on the hyway.

Just my personal experience, of course.

Barry
arbee
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2010 at 01:18 PM

Go to tirerack.com and you can compare different tires and reviews. The Firestone Destination AT has very good reviews and is reasonably priced. I have these on a 4x4 Tacoma and they are the best all terrain tires that I've used including the BFG ATs.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2010 at 01:54 PM

By the way, Bucko, the industry suggests changing tires when they get to be 7 years old, (as somebody already said) regardless of the tread left on them. That certainly is a safe bet. On the other hand, if you don't drive fast, and are aware constantly that a tire could blow at any time and take the necessary precautions, then you could risk it and let them get older. I have had many old tires blow out, but more have just kept rolling along like the energizer bunny for years and years. It is all a matter of your personal "risk adversion" and what you are prepared for. Since I expect an old tire to blow, when it does blow I simply pull over and put the spare on. But if you drive fast, and are not paying attention, a blowout could be a disaster and you could crash, into someone else, or go off the road.

Certainly changing them out after 7 years is the best and safest advice, and if you can afford it why not get new ones?

--------and most tires these days that are advertised as Off Road ready, are pretty safe and reliable, despite all our personal preferences, expriences, and biases. Generally speaking, you get what you pay for.

Barry
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 2-6-2010 at 04:55 PM

this is ALWAYS interesting...

only a minute long...

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2010 at 07:29 PM

Good video---------but, he did not tell us what those "numbers" mean when it comes to temperature, tire wear, etc. so what good does it do to look at them??

------also, I went out and looked at the tires on all my vehicles, and could not find that "date code" that indicates when they were produced/made on any of them. Very strange.

Barry
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 2-6-2010 at 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Good video---------but, he did not tell us what those "numbers" mean when it comes to temperature, tire wear, etc. so what good does it do to look at them??

------also, I went out and looked at the tires on all my vehicles, and could not find that "date code" that indicates when they were produced/made on any of them. Very strange.

Barry

If your whites are out, they're on the back side. 1/4" numbering in an oval very close to the rim. Example: 1408 would be the 14th week in 2008

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
Norm
Junior Nomad

Mood: GOOD!!!!!

[*] posted on 2-7-2010 at 08:27 AM

TOYO IS THE ONLY TIRE YOU WILL EVER NEED !!!!!!
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 2-7-2010 at 08:37 AM

this is always interesting too...

who makes what tire...:?:

http://www.tiredefects.com/private-label-private-brand-tires...

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-7-2010 at 09:43 AM

I'm a fan of the Michelin LTX-MS line. They are, or were, available at Costco.

I am another who has seen multiple failures of BFG AT-KO tires for no apparent reason. Actually, the apparent reason was manufacturing defect which BFG disallowed on a friends tires. They were about a year old, had about 80% of their tread. Separation between the treads in one case; a bubble blowout in another.

The LTX-MS tires have given me 47k miles on a 1 ton, diesel truck that had a 2500# Lance camper on the back from probably 60-70% of the driving. And that was where a few of the wear bars were showing. These were load range E tires tires that were kept at 50-80psi, depending on the load being carried.

At least for the load range E tires, there are three steel belts under the tread. It is a two-ply sidewall. They are much quieter than the BFGs on the road.............not that it matters on a diesel truck. :lol:

I really wonder what these tires would do on a much lighter vehicle like a Tacoma or a Ranger? I have visions of someone getting close to 90k, with proper care.

These tires draw rave reviews on tirerack.com. Not inexpensive, though.

EDIT: I see Michelin has updated these tires to a new LTX-MS2. Still many of the same great reviews. Many are involving snow, though. But some of the former owners of the original LTXs are saying the new versions are quieter and grip better. I'll probably be buying my 3rd set this summer when I return to the US.

[Edited on 2-7-2010 by Hook]

mulegejim
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2010 at 09:55 AM

You might want to check out the Yokoyama Geolandar line of tires also. I have them on my 2005 Tacoma - very good on and off road. Not too noisy on pavement either.
Baja Bucko
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2010 at 10:00 AM

Wow-who woulda thought tires could be so interesting-I am learning LOTS!

Went to Tire Rack and read a kazillion reviews on Michilin ATs etc-just have to see if they the brand is available here in very rural Oregon and if I can afford them-all we have are Les Schwabs....

Still hoping to hear more from this crowd. Haven't heard a thing on the tires that are on my little truck now.

The rims are 16" so I stand corrected.

One last comment this truck is pretty much used only for Baja trips and when I need 4WD on ice and snow. It will be awhile before it gets 60,000 more miles at this rate. I do want a reliable SAFE tire which the Mich sounds like BUT if I need to change tires every 6 yrs or so ....ummmm. Lots to think about.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.