BajaNomad

Road Block Bandits

Pages:  1    3

bonanza bucko - 3-9-2010 at 02:51 PM

Durango posted that there was an attempt to stop him by three trucks on That Road south of Puertecitos. He got by them by going off the road..they didn't follow.

I wonder if there have been any other such incidents lately. If there have been we need to raise some hell with the Puertecitos cops who have been pretty busy lately.

Any input on handling these dudes would be appreciated.

BB:?:

redmesa - 3-9-2010 at 03:48 PM

I am interested in knowing more about this also. I probably would have stopped. How did he know to make a "get out of here quick move".???

Bwana_John - 3-9-2010 at 04:16 PM

On the new pavement part or the unpaved part?

nbacc - 3-9-2010 at 04:27 PM

I just got home from San Felipe and talked to quite a few people who had been down there last week and heard nothing of any of that. I would be interested in just where.

capt. mike - 3-9-2010 at 04:32 PM

good reason to fly....

David K - 3-9-2010 at 04:34 PM

It was his first time to Baja... it may have been a military check or a Federale check... they do set up at random places on occaision.

tripledigitken - 3-9-2010 at 04:38 PM

PRETTY BALLSY MOVE!!!!

bonanza bucko - 3-9-2010 at 05:14 PM

Durangotang said this on his post:
".....someone posing as police tried to stop us on the road. Three vehicles: one mid 90's Chevy PU, one S10 Blazer, and an older Toyota PU blocked the road and turned on red flashing lights on their dashes. I promptly went off the road and drove around them... they chose not to follow us and I don't know what they wanted..."

He said he was just back from three weeks so the attempted stop by the bad guys would have been within that time of the post which was 3/8. Somebody asked where it was and all he would say is "between Puertecitos and Gonzaga Bay"...he stayed at Papa's according to his pictures.

It is pretty interesting that only two people....me and another guy...were interested enough to ask about it. I think it's damned "interesting" considering the hijacking, at gun point, of a truck at Alfonsina's at Thanksgiving...after they attempted to hijack a Cessna 210 but failed because it was full of mean dogs!!:lol:

There are a lot of people who rely on That Road...and more so now that half of it is paved. I think we need to be rather insistent with our Mexican friends that there be some policing of this.

I also don't think the local cops down there drive THREE trucks as Durangotang said they did. There aren't enough of them...the Puertecitos cops have ONE truck that I know of. David K posted the above. Maybe he knows better.

Re flying...I usually do that. But once in a while I gotta haul some heavy stuff...or stay too long to park The Bird outside in the salt and sun.

In any case this $%#@ has to cease.

Bajahowodd - 3-9-2010 at 05:20 PM

Tell it to the Mexican bureaucracy.

[Edited on 3-10-2010 by Bajahowodd]

BooJumMan - 3-9-2010 at 05:59 PM

Interesting to note that it occurred during the daytime as well, right?

What would you guys have done in the situation?

DianaT - 3-9-2010 at 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BooJumMan
Interesting to note that it occurred during the daytime as well, right?

What would you guys have done in the situation?

He mentioned that he had run out of daylight---sounds like it was early evening.

David K - 3-9-2010 at 06:05 PM

When I first read durangotang's report about that, I believed he just mis-judged (being his first time in Baja) a federale or military checkpoint for a bandito shakedown. Having spent 40 some years traveling frequently in remote parts of Baja and never seen a 'bandito'... I conclude they are about as real as chupacabras.

A few years ago (2003) I was driving to Bahia de los Angeles, rounded a bend (near Agua Amarga) and there was a roadblock... by black uniformed federal police and military type commandos... trying to catch some narcotics trafficers I believe.

They can set up anywhere, anytime...

'Banditos' would have to be pretty brave to operate a road block on the main highway south of Puertecitos... don't you think?

As far as avoiding them the way he did... if they were bandits, would they just let him get away and turn them in? If they were military doing drug searches... they probably assumed a Jeep Liberty pulling a trailer of camping gear wasn't a threat and not worth running after...?

I just took another look at that part of his report, and see that it was in the dark... I am thinking it may have only been a vehicle with mechanical problems? I would like to hear how they "posed as police"... I am sure glad they avoided a possible problem and had a great trip!:

"Problems with my trailer persisted and we soon ran out of daylight... you need a FULL day to run that road... then things took another turn... someone posing as police tried to stop us on the road. Three vehicles: one mid 90's Chevy PU, one S10 Blazer, and an older Toyota PU blocked the road and turned on red flashing lights on their dashes. I promptly went off the road and drove around them... they chose not to follow us and I don't know what they wanted...

We finally arrived at Papa Fernandez and set our camp in the dark... "

[Edited on 3-10-2010 by David K]

rts551 - 3-9-2010 at 06:17 PM

I don't know what I would have done. I don't travel to Baja as frequently as some others

But I guess frequently is a relative term and can be used how ever you want.

durangotang - 3-9-2010 at 06:49 PM

Well hello there ;)

Let me see if I can shed some light on the topic.... I guess I'll tell the story in more detail:

It was about 8pm and we were cruising on the rough part of the road between Puertocitos and Gonzaga. If this makes sense to anyone: it was the area where it gets rockier and you are climbing up and down more hills... probably 3/4 of the way to Papa Fernandez (vague, I know). Once the sun set, we started seeing a lot more traffic heading northbound with automotive parts: a large flatbed full of engines, a pickup with a Toyota cab in the bed, various other pickups full of parts... didn't see anyone for a while after seeing all those trucks then I saw 3 sets of headlights coming. It was at one of those sections with the sandy track that ran parallel to the road. I didn't think anything of it until one of the trucks pulled alongside the other, taking up the whole road. The third truck then drove onto the sandy track. I turned on the bumper lights and saw that the two vehicles in the road each had 1 person in them in civilian clothes... the truck in the sandy track turned on a flashing red light inside the cab and the other two followed suit and stopped. I decided not to stop and drove through the brush between the road and the sandy track. I turned on the backup lights as I passed them and none of them had license plates or markings of any kind. The 3 trucks sat there for a minute then continued down the road.

I ran into a guy from california who lives at Papa Fernandez and asked him about the whole thing. He said that, earlier that day, there had been government people there investigating the stolen planes. He said they were all in newer SUV's.

So there you go... that's the scoop. Take it as you will.

desertcpl - 3-9-2010 at 06:54 PM

well I have had a run in with what Durango experienced.

this happened about 25 years ago,, i was traveling with a mexcian friend of mine,, from san diego to La paz,,, cant really remember where this happened but it was in baja sur, after going thru this small town,, we can across the same thing, a road block,, that was not made up of police cars or military vehicles,, my friend told me to blow them off ,, . I did the same thing that Durango did,, and they didnt follow us or did nothing,, I asked him how did you know,, he told me that he was born and raised in TJ,. he knew the drill

DianaT - 3-9-2010 at 07:04 PM

None of the vehicles you described in your first post sounded like police or military vehicles. Sounds like you made a quick and correct decision. Congrats. Being a member of that AARP you mentioned, I doubt I would have reacted so quickly.

I just can't imagine that if the blockade was real with either the feds or the military, you would be writing about this for a while, if at all. I cannot imagine that they would not have chased you or called ahead and stopped you and your trailer full of camping gear.

BajaWarrior - 3-9-2010 at 07:09 PM

I sure hate to hear the sound of the potential trouble on the road to Gonzaga Bay. We often drive there on our "week" trips but never at night...

DITTO DIANA

desertcpl - 3-9-2010 at 07:10 PM

was this just recently going on with the new HWY between Mexicali and Rocky Point... I remember some thing about this on the San Felipe web site

soulpatch - 3-9-2010 at 07:13 PM

Besides, the military have military vehicles....
Even the times I actually have been pulled over I do as a few Mexicans have told me to do, keep driving for quite awhile and then see if they look for a more compliant fish.
The worst that has happened to me was a policia lectured me about not pulling over immediately until I told him that I just wanted to make sure we pulled over in a safe place where neither of us would get hurt.
Other times I have just had them hook another fish.
It's Mexico. I wouldn't stop for civilian trucks with a red light either. Screw that.

805gregg - 3-9-2010 at 07:18 PM

If it was a military stop and he went around it, he would have been machine gunned dead, especially towing a trailer that could be filled with guns. Remember at the beginning of his trip there were 3 vehicles, probably why he wasn't followed.

[Edited on 3-10-2010 by 805gregg]

BALLS

desertcpl - 3-9-2010 at 07:19 PM

I forgot to tell Durango,, being his first time in Baja,, that he really had alot of balls and a real quick thinker,

you can travel with me any time

good work

ken/jane

yuma,az

bonanza bucko - 3-9-2010 at 07:43 PM

Anybody who thinks three trucks with no license plates, in the dark and with flashing lights on their dash boards are legit needs to stop and ask the dudes what they are doing. Maybe they were out hunting for Chupacabras....or Snipes.

Dream on....sweet *********. Those were Bandidos and if you drive in Baja after dark you are dumber than doggy doo.

BB

[Edited on 3-10-2010 by BajaNomad]

jodiego - 3-9-2010 at 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durangotang
Well hello there ;)

Let me see if I can shed some light on the topic.... I guess I'll tell the story in more detail:

It was about 8pm and we were cruising on the rough part of the road between Puertocitos and Gonzaga. If this makes sense to anyone: it was the area where it gets rockier and you are climbing up and down more hills... probably 3/4 of the way to Papa Fernandez (vague, I know). Once the sun set, we started seeing a lot more traffic heading northbound with automotive parts: a large flatbed full of engines, a pickup with a Toyota cab in the bed, various other pickups full of parts... didn't see anyone for a while after seeing all those trucks then I saw 3 sets of headlights coming. It was at one of those sections with the sandy track that ran parallel to the road. I didn't think anything of it until one of the trucks pulled alongside the other, taking up the whole road. The third truck then drove onto the sandy track. I turned on the bumper lights and saw that the two vehicles in the road each had 1 person in them in civilian clothes... the truck in the sandy track turned on a flashing red light inside the cab and the other two followed suit and stopped. I decided not to stop and drove through the brush between the road and the sandy track. I turned on the backup lights as I passed them and none of them had license plates or markings of any kind. The 3 trucks sat there for a minute then continued down the road.

I ran into a guy from california who lives at Papa Fernandez and asked him about the whole thing. He said that, earlier that day, there had been government people there investigating the stolen planes. He said they were all in newer SUV's.

So there you go... that's the scoop. Take it as you will.

I've got to say that you have an incredible recall for detail. Did you make a log of the trip?:?:

durangotang - 3-9-2010 at 07:56 PM

I did make a log... I think you looked right over it when you clicked on this thread ;)

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=44643

[Edited on 3-10-2010 by durangotang]

rts551 - 3-9-2010 at 08:01 PM

With your eye for photography and feel for adrenaline I am surprised you didn't get a picture of the encounter.

DENNIS - 3-9-2010 at 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
With your eye for photography and feel for adrenaline I am surprised you didn't get a picture of the encounter.

It's probably hard to be a tourist when your life is on the line. :light:

Diver - 3-9-2010 at 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Having spent 40 some years traveling frequently in remote parts of Baja and never seen a 'bandito'... I conclude they are about as real as chupacabras.

David, David, David ...... :rolleyes: :P
I guess since YOU'VE never seen one, they don't exist. :smug:
What planet do you come from, really ?? :lol:

grmpb - 3-9-2010 at 08:12 PM

here we go again:no:

DENNIS - 3-9-2010 at 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by grmpb
here we go again:no:

Not really. Lacks substance for turmoil. Maybe some other time. :lol:

grmpb - 3-9-2010 at 08:50 PM

when has substance been a consideration??:lol:

BooJumMan - 3-9-2010 at 09:51 PM

Any connection with the "Murder on the Malecon"?

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=44668

http://www.**************.com

[Edited on 3-10-2010 by BooJumMan]

mtgoat666 - 3-9-2010 at 11:01 PM

Quote:
Well hello there ;)

It was about 8pm and we were cruising on the rough part of the road between Puertocitos and Gonzaga.

some of you people never learn: do not drive at night.

I hear air blowing.............out a borrego's culo

soulpatch - 3-9-2010 at 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Well hello there ;)

It was about 8pm and we were cruising on the rough part of the road between Puertocitos and Gonzaga.

mtgoat666 - 3-9-2010 at 11:09 PM

Quote:
Having spent 40 some years traveling frequently in remote parts of Baja and never seen a 'bandito'... I conclude they are about as real as chupacabras.

dk:
your conclusion is assinine -- mexicans and americans have been robbed and or killed in past few years by armed robbers, carjackers or kidnappers in rural areas.

just because it has not happened to you does not mean it does not happen.

durangotang - 3-9-2010 at 11:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Well hello there ;)

OK now... you could have just posed the question "why were you out at night?" instead of jumping straight to condescending prick...

We left San Felipe at noon with the destination being Papa Fernandez... should be more than reasonable. It's reasonable until you have to make several trailer repairs on the side of the road and fix a flat tire for a European couple in a rental car with no spare.

Unfortunately, sh*t happened.... but I was prepared for it and I dealt with it accordingly.

cj5orion - 3-10-2010 at 07:41 AM

sounds too me like agroup of trucks just stopped on the road !
Probably draining the lizard ?
dashboard red lights-not foolin anybody-
Many,many,many,many times,,,I have just stopped on the road,(aka roadblock),drained the liz,back at it.

David K - 3-10-2010 at 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by grmpb
when has substance been a consideration??:lol:

Not for Diver... no.

My comment was to provide a possible answer to durangotang's encounter that it could very well have been something other then 'banditos', because the Mexicans need our tourist dollars and that one word: bandito,... well takes all the good stuff of the trip report and throws it out the window (for some who would have gone to Baja after reading it). At Bahia Concepcion (Requeson), a federale pulled up in a Dodge pickup with a couple of soldiers to check for drugs... He wasn't in a uniform, just a cowboy hat and dark glasses (the soldiers were, however)... Oh, the Dodge truck was unmarked and had Texas license plates... So, the trucks they drive may have been civilian looking!

Because he had just passed several northbound vehicles (who would have been victims of the banditos) and were not warned of banditos... and there were red flasing dash lights in the bandito's truck... and the banditos didn't chase them... all sounds like it was something else. Fishin' Rich told me he would just drive past government roadblocks/ checkpoints and never got chased or shot at.

Because I have traveled that area since 1965, and have never seen a 'bandito', I thought my observation was qualified. Of course durangotang could have very well been targets of roving banditos... I was just trying to put a more positive answer to the mystery. How many of you long time Baja travelers have seen 'banditos'.

shari - 3-10-2010 at 07:56 AM

well, Juan has lived over 40 years in central baja and has seen quite a few banditos. I have experienced some too....one in particular was a pick up truck out by the salt flats on the road from vizcaino to asuncion. It was just after dark...(shopping took longer than expected and so did the tacos) and as usual we stopped to see if they needed any help...there were 3 men and one said they had a tire problem and asked if we had a screwdriver...juan and I exchanged doubtful glances and said we had no tools sorry...and sped off.

Well, the truck then did a u-turn and chased us...I was scared shootless...luckily when we turned off onto the asuncion dirt road, they did not pursue us any longer....whew...but after that incident, we take a good long look at who we stop for and dont generally stop any more if we dont know the people or feel it is a bit weird.

There are banditos everywhere in the world and we just need to be aware and learn to recognize the signs of danger. We also run into roadblocks in strange remote areas but have always been clearly military or police.

Durangotang

BajaRob - 3-10-2010 at 08:02 AM

right on. You are an example of " those that can ". Those that can't, well they make negative comments here. I guess it makes them feel better to belittle the accomplishments of others such as yourself. How sad.

David K - 3-10-2010 at 08:02 AM

Thanks Shari... good to hear from a Baja full time resident on this... !

bajabass - 3-10-2010 at 08:28 AM

Thanks for the warning Durangotang! I have encountered possibly 100's of roadblocks and checkpoints between 1974 and now. Every single one had uniformed police or military present. I have seen plainclothes jefes in the past, but always recognizable back-up present. To not have mentioned the possibly dangerous situation in his great report would have been irresponsible to those acting on its great content. David, deleting that info is as bad as the hush-hush demands to the press by Mexico regarding issues that would have a negative effect on tourism. I personally have never encountered a "bandito". I do have a few friends that have been jumped, assauted, and robbed. Usually at night, in out of the way places. I will be advising my wife, who is driving with her 70 yearold father, from Ensenada to La Paz on Friday, of the need to stay off the road at night, and to keep her eyes wide open. She will be on 1 the entire trip, so I am much more worried about trucks and livestock than banditos!

mtgoat666 - 3-10-2010 at 08:38 AM

Quote:
I was just trying to put a more positive answer to the mystery. How many of you long time Baja travelers have seen 'banditos'.

DK: you are a burro. do you work for the Mex government "Department of Tourism Promotion and Denial?" :lol:

monoloco - 3-10-2010 at 08:44 AM

Over the years I have encountered many banditos while driving in Baja and they were always in uniform.

bajabass - 3-10-2010 at 08:46 AM

:lol::lol::lol::light:

Diver - 3-10-2010 at 08:49 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I was just trying to put a more positive answer to the mystery. How many of you long time Baja travelers have seen 'banditos'.

DK: you are a burro. do you work for the Mex government "Department of Tourism Promotion and Denial?" :lol:

Agreed !!
Why is it always someone else's fault when DK says something stupid ?

bajabass - 3-10-2010 at 08:51 AM

Have I missed a pattern?:light:

rts551 - 3-10-2010 at 09:09 AM

I just wish he would stick to what he encounters during his couple weeks a year

capt. mike - 3-10-2010 at 09:20 AM

mexico is full of crooks and petty thiefs. its cause they are poor and don't giva a tinkers damn.
anyone who ignores that is clueless and naive.
driving at night is completely idiotic.
it ain't no paradise - it's just a place to vacation if you have smarts.

DENNIS - 3-10-2010 at 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
driving at night is completely idiotic.

It would be a sport if we could arm ourselves.

anyone remember this guy?

willardguy - 3-10-2010 at 09:37 AM

frito.gif - 18kB

David K - 3-10-2010 at 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabass
Thanks for the warning Durangotang! I have encountered possibly 100's of roadblocks and checkpoints between 1974 and now. Every single one had uniformed police or military present. I have seen plainclothes jefes in the past, but always recognizable back-up present. To not have mentioned the possibly dangerous situation in his great report would have been irresponsible to those acting on its great content. David, deleting that info is as bad as the hush-hush demands to the press by Mexico regarding issues that would have a negative effect on tourism. I personally have never encountered a "bandito". I do have a few friends that have been jumped, assauted, and robbed. Usually at night, in out of the way places. I will be advising my wife, who is driving with her 70 yearold father, from Ensenada to La Paz on Friday, of the need to stay off the road at night, and to keep her eyes wide open. She will be on 1 the entire trip, so I am much more worried about trucks and livestock than banditos!

I didn't delete a thing...

I also didn't give my personal bandito beliefs until AFTER someone else brought up the bandito part of his report.

Diver - 3-10-2010 at 09:43 AM

Quote:
I also didn't give my personal bandito beliefs until AFTER someone else brought up the bandito part of his report.

Like I said; it's someone else's fault !! :lol:

David K - 3-10-2010 at 09:45 AM

Quote:

Exactly what I did... I discussed what I experienced in my 45 years of Baja travel... I know that you have found Baja and have a place there, and perhaps you may want to keep it to yourself.

However, on this forum people come to learn about Baja travel as durangotang did...

IF he read that banditos would be waiting for him south of Puertecitos, or anywhere in Baja... Perhaps we wouldn't have heard a great report, he wouldn't have a great vacation, and Mexico would be a bit less rich...?

DianaT - 3-10-2010 at 09:46 AM

Quote:

As far as avoiding them the way he did... if they were bandits, would they just let him get away and turn them in? If they were military doing drug searches... they probably assumed a Jeep Liberty pulling a trailer of camping gear wasn't a threat and not worth running after...?

Do you really believe that the military would let someone run one of their stops?

Try it next time you are there and let us know what happens.

David K - 3-10-2010 at 09:47 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Can you answer the question: How many of you long time Baja travelers have seen 'banditos'?

David K - 3-10-2010 at 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:

Do you really believe that the military would let someone run one of their stops?

YES

bajabass - 3-10-2010 at 09:50 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by bajabass

I didn't delete a thing...

Excuse my wording, I did not mean you deleted anything. I meant that if he had left out, or deleted that information, it would be a mistake. Caca happens, and people need to know!

DENNIS - 3-10-2010 at 09:52 AM

Quote:

Can you answer the question: How many of you long time Baja travelers have seen 'banditos'?

Oh, C'mon, David. Times have changed. They're out there and you know it. It isn't like it used to be and isolation is no longer a factor.
US tourists are ducks in a pond and the scum knows that. You do too.

rts551 - 3-10-2010 at 09:53 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

YES

Pls post the result. If you are able.

David K - 3-10-2010 at 09:54 AM

I loved his report... and said so after he posted it... He thankled me and even said my web site was a help to his trip planning...

If I was a new traveler to a new place and reported something strange, I would want to know what it really was and not just be guessing.

I just gave some POSSIBLE answers to ponder... the drama queens on Nomad are just having their normal feeding frenzy.

rts551 - 3-10-2010 at 09:56 AM

Yes I have a place there. And was traveling to Baja before you were born (as many others have). I also post pictures every once in a while or respond to a request for info. I just don't have a need to respond to every post on the board.

Quote:
Quote:

Exactly what I did... I discussed what I experienced in my 45 years of Baja travel... I know that you have found Baja and have a place there, and perhaps you may want to keep it to yourself.

However, on this forum people come to learn about Baja travel as durangotang did...

IF he read that banditos would be waiting for him south of Puertecitos, or anywhere in Baja... Perhaps we wouldn't have heard a great report, he wouldn't have a great vacation, and Mexico would be a bit less rich...?

Is there a prize?

Dave - 3-10-2010 at 09:58 AM

Quote:

How many of you long time Baja travelers have seen 'banditos'?

I have...On two separate occasions. I have many other friends who have related additional encounters.

DENNIS - 3-10-2010 at 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave

Is there a prize?

Prize? Hey...don't forget about me when two guys pulled up next to me on the road and blew out my rear window with a big pistol. I know gawwwdammm well it wasn't the Chamber Of Commerce. :lol:

Diver - 3-10-2010 at 10:04 AM

Quote:

No, what you did was try to diminish the poster's on-site report and credibility with your "opinion" even though you weren't there.

Diver - 3-10-2010 at 10:06 AM

Quote:

I have had 2 encounters with banditos within the past 10 years.
None before that.

David K - 3-10-2010 at 10:07 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

YES

"Do you really believe that the military would let someone run one of their stops?"

I said YES

Result of a belief? I believe what I was told by another Nomad/ Amigo de Baja...

Ask your neighbor Fishin' Rich... He told me the story after we drove through the Tecate border without stopping when the red light came on... I was his passenger when we took a day trip to Guadalupe Valley and Ensenada back in 2001.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Pls post the result. If you are able.":

Myself, coming north from Loreto last summer we were pointed over to the field for 'special search' at the military checkpoint (there were others in front)... After I drove off behind the rest bench and didn't see any one waiting to search me I drove on and back on the highway... Baja Angel wanted to see the 'Wall of Shame' there that Phil C had told us about and was surprised that I didn't wait and risked leaving... I wanted to get back to Concepcion Bay!

Nobody shot at us or chased us. :lol:

DianaT - 3-10-2010 at 10:07 AM

Quote:
Quote:

How many of you long time Baja travelers have seen 'banditos'?

I have...On two separate occasions. I have many other friends who have related additional encounters.

Well maybe there could be a prize for the first person who tries to run a Military stop and is able to report back----and Dave, they cannot take my dogs with them. :-)

DK, think about it what you did in comparison to what this person did. Absolutely no comparison at all. Next time you see one, turn quickly off the road, do not even pretend to stop, and speed away cross country---then report back.

[Edited on 3-10-2010 by DianaT]

[Edited on 3-10-2010 by DianaT]

David K - 3-10-2010 at 10:09 AM

Quote:
Yes I have a place there. And was traveling to Baja before you were born (as many others have). I also post pictures every once in a while or respond to a request for info. I just don't have a need to respond to every post on the board.

Then why do you respond to every one of mine?

David K - 3-10-2010 at 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Quote:

No, what you did was try to diminish the poster's on-site report and credibility with your "opinion" even though you weren't there.

That was not my reason and you should know that. However, for anyone including durangotang that took my offerings of an explanation as anything other than to make his trip a total positive Baja experience, I am sorry.

rts551 - 3-10-2010 at 10:13 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Then why do you respond to every one of mine?

I don't. otherwise I would have the same number of posts:lol::lol::lol:

Too many variables

Dave - 3-10-2010 at 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

two guys pulled up next to me on the road and blew out my rear window with a big pistol.

They could have been in the 'rear window' replacement business.

DianaT - 3-10-2010 at 10:15 AM

Quote:
Quote:

two guys pulled up next to me on the road and blew out my rear window with a big pistol.

They could have been in the 'rear window' replacement business.

And Dennis did not say what he did to make this happen. He must have irritated the nice fellows. :biggrin::biggrin:

rts551 - 3-10-2010 at 10:16 AM

The military aren't at the border. I know Rich very well and follows the rules more than most people. Has his fishing license, always gets his FM-2 stamped etc. I don't believe he runs military stops.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

YES

"Do you really believe that the military would let someone run one of their stops?"

I said YES

Result of a belief? I believe what I was told by another Nomad/ Amigo de Baja...

Ask your neighbor Fishin' Rich... He told me the story after we drove through the Tecate border without stopping when the red light came on... I was his passenger when we took a day trip to Guadalupe Valley and Ensenada back in 2001.

Myself, coming north from Loreto last summer we were pointed over to the field for 'special search' at the military checkpoint (there were others in front)... After I drove off behind the rest bench and didn't see any one waiting to search me I drove on and back on the highway... Baja Angel wanted to see the 'Wall of Shame' there that Phil C had told us about and was surprised that I didn't wait and risked leaving... I wanted to get back to Concepcion Bay!

[Edited on 3-10-2010 by rts551]

rts551 - 3-10-2010 at 10:18 AM

I all serious folks (lurkers looking for info). Pls don't try and run a military stop. You will not like the result. 18 year old kids with machine guns.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

YES

DENNIS - 3-10-2010 at 10:20 AM

Quote:
And Dennis did not say what he did to make this happen. He must have irritated the nice fellows. :biggrin::biggrin:

ME ????????????? I'll bet they were nice guys. We just didn't give our friendship time to develop. Maybe after a full box of bullets, we would have been buds for life. :no:

DianaT - 3-10-2010 at 10:24 AM

Quote:
Quote:

ME ????????????? I'll bet they were nice guys. We just didn't give our friendship time to develop. Maybe after a full box of bullets, we would have been buds for life. :no:

Seriously, it had to be a really awful experience. It if had been me, they would not have to shoot me---.

David K - 3-10-2010 at 10:26 AM

Quote:
The military aren't at the border. I know Rich very well and follows the rules more than most people. Has his fishing license, always gets his FM-2 stamped etc. I don't believe he runs military stops.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

YES

I said YES

[Edited on 3-10-2010 by rts551]

I also don't think Rich lied to me... It may have been a story, but I believed him.

In all fairness

Dave - 3-10-2010 at 10:45 AM

I once busted an army checkpoint.

They had one setup southbound just north of the toll booth in Rosarito. Not expecting it I didn't slow down until too late. Blew through the many, large, temporary rope topos at freeway speed. I fully expected to get shot. When I finally did get stopped and looked back the guards all had an amazed look. I guess they didn't understand how my wheels and axles could have survived.

Didn't search the vehicle. Just waived through.

bajabass - 3-10-2010 at 10:46 AM

Quote:
It was his first time to Baja... it may have been a military check or a Federale check... they do set up at random places on occaision.
Your first response was to discount the situation as a military or federale stop. His description sounded like no checkpoint I have seen in 35 years of Baja experience.

Loretana - 3-10-2010 at 11:06 AM

Quote:

By the way, the "Federales" or Judicial Federal Police no longer exist as a police corporation in Mexico. They were replaced by the AFI or Agencia Federal de Investigaciones. The days of the federale improviso check, with guys running around with Browning 9's stuffed in their belts are over. The cops who man the checkpoints are now all uniformed, so a Mexican source tells me.

I have also seen and been chased by banditos just south of Catavina back in 1991. My quick thinking husband went off the road and put the petal to the metal and got us out of there. They chased us, but our Chevy 454 saved our bacon that night. It was 2 am and they had the road blocked by a truck and a car, and were definately bad guys.

Martyman - 3-10-2010 at 11:11 AM

Am I the only one who skips over DK's responses? They are tiring.

Diver - 3-10-2010 at 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Loretana
I have also seen and been chased by banditos just south of Catavina back in 1991. My quick thinking husband went off the road and put the petal to the metal and got us out of there. They chased us, but our Chevy 454 saved our bacon that night. It was 2 am and they had the road blocked by a truck and a car, and were definately bad guys.

Reminds me of the fairly recent loss of Larry's wife Rachel/Raquel ?
Traveling at night, chased and shot by banditos.
She was killed.

mtgoat666 - 3-10-2010 at 11:37 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

YES

I said YES

DK: your desription is not "running" a military checkpoint. If you enter one and attempt to pass w/o stopping they will use the big spike chains on your tires, and if that doesn't work will fill you full of hot lead. I would like you to try the evasion of a checkpoint and report back here, or perhaps someone can post the news article about your experience.

Diver - 3-10-2010 at 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman

It's catching !!! :biggrin:

I have tried my best to "skip over" his posts with only occassional success.
I have tried aromatherapy, hypnosis (kinda) and full body massage but nothing works so far.
How do you do it ????????????.

soulpatch - 3-10-2010 at 12:03 PM

It must have been the tourism board that shot at my buddy and his family just north of La Mision.
That round that went through his upper thigh after passing through his door was just a welcome wagon gift.
And yes, he is a real friend, not some imaginary friend of a friend of a friend.....

durangotang - 3-10-2010 at 01:15 PM

Well I'll just add my interpretation of things and let this topic run its course...

I never really felt like I was in any immediate danger with the whole thing. Economic times are hard down there and I have no doubt that petty theft is on the rise. I probably came across people looking for a target of opportunity. If someone were to stop, they would probably get some easy money out of them...

Had the vehicles pursued me, or even if people had gotten out of the trucks... I would be telling a different story with a much different tone.

This is par for the course IMHO when traveling in the rural backroads of a third world country. I've run into the same thing traveling in eastern Europe, Russia, and Turkey. It's just all about your personal preferences on the balance between adventure and safety.

Will this experience even cause me to hesitate coming back? Absolutely not... I will be back after a tour of Labrador in 2011

DENNIS - 3-10-2010 at 01:27 PM

Quote:

Economic times are hard down there and I have no doubt that petty theft is on the rise.

Appreciate your take on this although economic times have always been hard down here. It's the decline of morals which cause the petty theft rate to rise.
It ain't what it used to be. Dope growers have taken over many isolated places and that's an activity which employs scum. Years back, scum had no attraction to the back country. Today they control it and it's foolish to ignore their presence and danger.

bajabass - 3-10-2010 at 01:37 PM

You sound like the Baja type Durangotang! If you keep your eyes open and your wits about you, it ain't no thang!!! Thanks for sharing your trip report and photos with all of us. Your feedback on this side thread is exactly what I thought your response would be. This is a great site, with a lot of great people!! Just ignore the negative Nellies as much as possible, and please share any future expiditions with us!

Bajahowodd - 3-10-2010 at 02:17 PM

Quote:

Like, without them, this would be a single page thread??:lol:

grmpb - 3-10-2010 at 02:38 PM

:P toldja

805gregg - 3-10-2010 at 09:05 PM

Quote:

What Mr Baja tiring? Surely you jest, and don't dare drive anything but a Toyota. Maybe he needs another hobbie.

[Edited on 3-11-2010 by 805gregg]

BajaRat - 3-10-2010 at 09:08 PM

Release the HOUNDS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sharksbaja - 3-10-2010 at 09:22 PM

.........and the sharks!

BajaWarrior - 3-10-2010 at 09:40 PM

Neighbors of mine below San Felipe were traveling late one night heading south and were pulled over by a vehicle with a red flashing light on the dash. Quickly they realized they weren't cops and before they knew it they were face down on the highway with guns pointed at them halfway between Mexicali and San Felipe on that straight strech north of the dunes.

They were robbed of wallet, purse, luggage, food, and anything loose in the vehicle but were let go with their vehicle.

This was about 10 years ago and there was word many other people had been robbed by these Banditos. They were eventually caught and it was found out they were police from the Mainland of Mexico...

It happens...

Sur2baja - 3-10-2010 at 11:06 PM

Has anyone heard of the murders that occurred at the airport turnoff (KM 5)?

wilderone - 3-12-2010 at 08:36 AM

"Larry's wife Rachel/Raquel ? Traveling at night, chased and shot by banditos"
Raquel was killed by a former employee - not random highway banditos.

And a comment, kinda related. At one of the checkpoints, I was asked to get out of the car so they could check contents of the car, and one guy stands on the passenger side a little to the rear of the car with a clipboard and asks me to sign my name. I'm trying to keep an eye on the guy going through my stuff and it seems like the other guy intentionally tries to distract you. This signing on the clipboard is a new one - what wold they possibly do with a list of names (only - no auto info - and I could have signed anything - Daffy Duck - no checking documents).

rts551 - 3-12-2010 at 08:52 AM

I have seen them take names and license plate numbers for a long time at some of the check points.

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
"Larry's wife Rachel/Raquel ? Traveling at night, chased and shot by banditos"
Raquel was killed by a former employee - not random highway banditos.

And a comment, kinda related. At one of the checkpoints, I was asked to get out of the car so they could check contents of the car, and one guy stands on the passenger side a little to the rear of the car with a clipboard and asks me to sign my name. I'm trying to keep an eye on the guy going through my stuff and it seems like the other guy intentionally tries to distract you. This signing on the clipboard is a new one - what wold they possibly do with a list of names (only - no auto info - and I could have signed anything - Daffy Duck - no checking documents).

Woooosh - 3-12-2010 at 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
It must have been the tourism board that shot at my buddy and his family just north of La Mision.
That round that went through his upper thigh after passing through his door was just a welcome wagon gift.
And yes, he is a real friend, not some imaginary friend of a friend of a friend.....

I don't know who else saw this on Mexican TV last night...

A Mexican lady in her car was sitting behind a truck at a stoplight near Juarez. It went through two green cycles with her waiting patiently behind it. A man finaly got out of the truck and came back to her car. He gave her 5000 pesos. He told her he and the other man in the truck had a bet- if she tooted her horn, he would come back and shoot her. If she did not honk, the other guy would have to give her 5000 pesos. She took the money and left- nearly had a heart attack though.

DianaT - 3-12-2010 at 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh
Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch

I don't know who else saw this on Mexican TV last night...

A Mexican lady in her car was sitting behind a truck at a stoplight near Juarez. It went through two green cycles with her waiting patiently behind it. A man finaly got out of the truck and came back to her car. He gave her 5000 pesos. He told her he and the other man in the truck had a bet- if she tooted her horn, he would come back and shoot her. If she did not honk, the other guy would have to give her 5000 pesos. She took the money and left- nearly had a heart attack though.

YIKES---I wonder how many people would NOT honk, at least a little toot.

Off to disable horn in truck. :biggrin:

smlslikfish - 3-12-2010 at 01:06 PM

This happened to me last year near our home in La Costilla,
2 car loads of men with a flashing red light tried to stop my wife and I late at night. I swiftly maneuvered around them and continued right up to the edge of a small CLIFF at the site of a new bridge. They were only trying to warn me. DOH!!!

Pages:  1    3