BajaNomad

Mama Espinoza

got_fishead - 3-20-2010 at 10:07 PM

[Edited on 3-21-2010 by got_fishead]

Mama Espinoza

got_fishead - 3-20-2010 at 10:12 PM

Hi all,
Just returned from our annual fishing trip to BoLA and each year we stop at Mama Espinoza for Lobster Burrito and the last 2yrs this same time they were out. We decided to give her another chance and were happy to hear lobster burrito were available. They were very good but very pricey@195pesos. Overall service and food was good but they are definitely overpriced.

Homeward bound from BoLA we decided to stop at
Ed's "Baja's Best Restaurant" for machaca con webos and they were delicious. We enjoyed the owners hospitality and will definitely return. Also they have Lobster Burritos for only 120pesos.

Sorry no pics but you know what the meal looks like:biggrin:

JESSE - 3-21-2010 at 04:01 AM

Lobster is no longer cheap, unfortunately, asian buyers come to baja and buy all the catch for very high prices, so lets get used to it.

David K - 3-21-2010 at 09:16 AM

Thanks for the update on El Rosario... What we noticed last year... Mama Espinoza's has greatly improved service and food selection... and Ed's place totally remodeled, looks great and his food continues to be good at lower prices.

Mama Espinoza's (next door to Baja Cactus Motel):

Ed's ('Baja's Best B & B/ Restaurant', across hwy. from 'Turista Motel'):

BajaBlanca - 3-21-2010 at 10:33 AM

We will definitely be trying out Ed's place !

Bob H - 3-21-2010 at 10:44 AM

Never been to Ed's place. Looks nice!
Bob H

David K - 3-21-2010 at 10:47 AM

Very nice now Bob... and Ed makes a killer, fresh OJ tequila sunrise!

Bob H - 3-21-2010 at 12:25 PM

David, where is Ed's place in relation to the Saini Motel/Primo's place? Bob H

Ed's Baja Best

Fred-o - 3-21-2010 at 06:45 PM

Ed's Baja Best is the last restaurant on right as you leave El Rosario going south towards the bridge. It's a big bright Yellow building with a giant Starbuck's Coffee sign painted on it. Ed's a great guy and I've eaten there many times.

Bon Appitite!

DianaT - 3-21-2010 at 07:05 PM

I know that some disagree, and that is OK, but we have tried Baja Bed and Breakfast a few times and will not return. There are better places in El Rosario for your money with better food who serve you more that 2 tortillas with a breakfast and have salsa that is not made for gringos.

We liked Ed the times we met him and wish him well.

We also think that it is a shame that Mama's has become overpriced---food was good the last time we were there, but $10.50 for three taco dorados was just too much. But the old good memories of that place are still with us.

Just our opinions----

got_fishead - 3-21-2010 at 07:58 PM

DianaT,
I agree the salsa needs improving however tortillas were available for the asking.
Ed's coffee is probably Costco Starbuck fresh grind compared to the one down the street north which taste like NestCafe instant.

While traveling south, I want my meal to be simple, inexpensive and overall experience.
Ed has a wide screen TV and wireless internet, the back yard is grass and well groomed.

My spanglish is not to bueno and appreciate a conversation with someone from our homeland. While we miss Mama's racing heritage sometimes change is for the better.

Happy traveling- bon appetite

:yes:

DianaT - 3-21-2010 at 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by got_fishead
DianaT,
I agree the salsa needs improving however tortillas were available for the asking.
Ed's coffee is probably Costco Starbuck fresh grind compared to the one down the street north which taste like NestCafe instant.

While traveling south, I want my meal to be simple, inexpensive and overall experience.
Ed has a wide screen TV and wireless internet, the back yard is grass and well groomed.

My spanglish is not to bueno and appreciate a conversation with someone from our homeland. While we miss Mama's racing heritage sometimes change is for the better.

You are correct. He will continue to appeal to many gringos headed south. And many really prefer places that are run by gringos, and that is also OK.

We just very much prefer other places---so it is good, that there are choices. :yes::yes:

[Edited on 3-22-2010 by DianaT]

rts551 - 3-21-2010 at 08:14 PM

Gringo food for gringo people. That is what he sells. Fred, you don't need great Spanish to get along. The spanish speaking natives of baja know and expect that some tourists do not speak their language and adjust accordingly. Try ir. you will be pleasantly surprised!

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:
Originally posted by got_fishead
DianaT,

You are correct. He will continue to appeal to many gringos headed south. And many really prefer places that are run by gringos, and that is also OK.

We just very much prefer other places---so it is good, that there are choices. :yes::yes:

longlegsinlapaz - 3-21-2010 at 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Thanks for the update on El Rosario... What we noticed last year... Mama Espinoza's has greatly improved service and food selection... and Ed's place totally remodeled, looks great and his food continues to be good at lower prices.

Am I the ONLY one who thinks it's a little weird to attempt to promote Mama Espinoza's "greatly improved service and food selection" with a picture showing a totally empty restaurant....no customers, no servers in sight??:?::?: Am I supposed to believe they served the masses & sold all that improved food selection & got 'em out the door that fast?:no:

rts551 - 3-21-2010 at 08:37 PM

No. Your are not. maybe the promoters will buy next time.

Quote:
Originally posted by longlegsinlapaz
Quote:

Am I the ONLY one who thinks it's a little weird to attempt to promote Mama Espinoza's "greatly improved service and food selection" with a picture showing a totally empty restaurant....no customers, no servers in sight??:?::?: Am I supposed to believe they served the masses & sold all that improved food selection & got 'em out the door that fast?:no:

What does that mean?

Dave - 3-21-2010 at 08:40 PM

Quote:
There are better places in El Rosario for your money with better food who serve you more that 2 tortillas with a breakfast and have salsa that is not made for gringos.

What is it about a particular salsa that makes it gringo friendly?

rts551 - 3-21-2010 at 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:
There are better places in El Rosario for your money with better food who serve you more that 2 tortillas with a breakfast and have salsa that is not made for gringos.

Dave

Usually no flavor... but then you know that

DianaT - 3-21-2010 at 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:

Mild, Mild, Mild---in so many places that cater to gringos, the salsa is very mild.

And yes, not all gringos want mild salsa.

DianaT - 3-21-2010 at 08:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:

That is fast food for ya. :biggrin::biggrin:

Flavor?

Dave - 3-21-2010 at 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551

Dave

Usually no flavor... but then you know that

I think you mean no 'heat'.

I would argue that any salsa in which one ingredient overpowers the whole to be bad salsa. I would have thought she meant a Sonoran- style thick salsa. It's what most gringos think of as salsa. As typified by brands like Pace.

David K - 3-22-2010 at 08:59 AM

You guys are falling over yourselves to make something bad of anything I mention... tisk, tisk...

Restaurants in Mexico change a lot... new cooks... new name... new owner... etc.

Mama's has been over priced with poor service IN THE PAST. Our last time there was last July... and her grandson was running things instead of Roli (her daughter)... and the prices were lower and the service was fast and the breakfast was good. The restaurant was empty, because it was after the normal breakfast time... and the two other groups that were there had just left before I took the photos. It was a different Mama Espinoza's than before...

Ed Lusk is married to a Mexican, his cook (when not Yolanda cooking) is Mexican... and there is nothing 'gringo' about the dishes, other than the lobster... if ordered "Ed's way" is not deep fried or over-cooked in the Mexican, Puerto Nuevo tradition... It is sweet and lightly broiled.

The issue some above had with Ed is two fold... Before the remodel, it was more like a family's home dining room... bigger, but very casual with the family kitty cat wondering about, and a bird in a cage by the door... THAT bothered some here... In the summer, there has been a fly problem and Ed was busy with a swatter... That was a few years ago.

Since the new remodel, the bird is no longer in the restaurant and we didn't get visited by kitty cat. No flys annoyed us either, last July. However, in Baja we don't let such things annoy us... and Baja may not be the best place to go if you are irritated by such things.

One other issue comes to mind as to why Ed's Reataurant gets put down by some here on Nomad... the TV is often tuned to FOX NEWS (which is the #1 cable news program)... but some prefer to get their news from networks that don't provide all sides of the story :light::rolleyes:

shari - 3-22-2010 at 09:04 AM

oh oh...tick tick tick tick

(dang...I guess I'd better put some people in the photos of our casitas:yes:)

DianaT - 3-22-2010 at 09:13 AM

Quote:
You guys are falling over yourselves to make something bad of anything I mention... tisk, tisk...

Once again, you just cannot stand anyone to disagree with your opinions---please, you have a right to your OPINIONS, now please allow the same for others without your stupid little comments, like tisk, tisk. Get past it. Everything is not all about you. Such an ego.

Some people prefer other places, and some like the ones you like---

David K - 3-22-2010 at 09:19 AM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

irenemm - 3-22-2010 at 09:55 AM

hey everyone
next time stop at Posada Don Diego> open 7 days a week from 7: am until 9pm.
Our salsa is hot and we never reuse it from any table. fresh every table.
good service and we have been in business 40 years.
we have nescafe ifyou want it. we use a good Mexican brand from the mainland
wifi
tv from the U.S.
stop and compare
thanks Irene
posada don diego

DianaT - 3-22-2010 at 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by irenemm
hey everyone
next time stop at Posada Don Diego> open 7 days a week from 7: am until 9pm.
Our salsa is hot and we never reuse it from any table. fresh every table.
good service and we have been in business 40 years.
we have nescafe ifyou want it. we use a good Mexican brand from the mainland
wifi
tv from the U.S.
stop and compare
thanks Irene
posada don diego

You were out of town last time we were there----hope next time you are there. And yes, the food is good. :yes:

rts551 - 3-22-2010 at 10:31 AM

Thats OK. You probably think he serves Starbuck's coffee too.

:?::?::?::?::?::?::?::?::?::?:

Quote:

David, It's why we love you

Dave - 3-22-2010 at 11:21 AM

Quote:
One other issue comes to mind as to why Ed's Reataurant gets put down by some here on Nomad... the TV is often tuned to FOX NEWS (which is the #1 cable news program)... but some prefer to get their news from networks that don't provide all sides of the story :light::rolleyes:

You just can't contain yourself. :rolleyes:

Yikes! Pace Salsa

Bajahowodd - 3-22-2010 at 12:08 PM

Never understood why Pace is so popular.

I do think Diane made an interesting point about gringos preferring gringos. A number of gringos have invested much money and time developing businesses in Baja. I give them a great deal of credit. That said, as was also mentioned by Diane, personal opinion and preference on our part is to immerse ourselves in Mexican Mexico, given the opportunity. That applies for whatever country we visit. I once had an American walk up to me in Yalta, Ukraine and ask me if I knew where the McDonald's was.

We tried Ed's once and was not impressed by our food or the service. different strokes. But, bottom line, I don't even know why Ed's in even in this thread. Check the title.

David K - 3-22-2010 at 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd

I do think Diane made an interesting point about gringos preferring gringos. A number of gringos have invested much money and time developing businesses in Baja. I give them a great deal of credit. That said, as was also mentioned by Diane, personal opinion and preference on our part is to immerse ourselves in Mexican Mexico, given the opportunity. That applies for whatever country we visit. I once had an American walk up to me in Yalta, Ukraine and ask me if I knew where the McDonald's was.

We tried Ed's once and was not impressed by our food or the service. different strokes. But, bottom line, I don't even know why Ed's in even in this thread. Check the title.

Pace? The guy likes Fox News, so here you go again!

Because facts are important... Ed's home made hot sauce is so popular, he now bottles it and sells it to meet the demand...

WE instead of I

Skipjack Joe - 3-22-2010 at 08:41 PM

Have you noticed how people always write "we were not happy with this and that". Nobody says - I didn't like it. In fact, I write the same way.

Why is that?

Is it to lend more weight to our statements?

Is it to sound less personally critical?

Is it to sound more objective?

Don't couples ever disagree about restaurants in baja?

DianaT - 3-22-2010 at 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Have you noticed how people always write "we were not happy with this and that". Nobody says - I didn't like it. In fact, I write the same way.

Why is that?

Is it to lend more weight to our statements?

Is it to sound less personally critical?

Is it to sound more objective?

Don't couples ever disagree about restaurants in baja?

Interesting to think about---in my case, while we may disagree about other things, it seems like John and I tend to agree about accommodations and restaurants and "the we" probably comes from our tendency to agree and the idea that we almost never travel alone. Not sure it goes any further than that---but interesting thought.

Guess I would far rather read individual opinions even if one person is expressing only their opinion, but using "we" knowing that opinions are being expressed than read opinions that are presented as "truth and facts" but that is just my opinion----but since I know John agrees, I guess I could still use "we" :biggrin:

Bajahowodd - 3-23-2010 at 11:25 AM

How about, my wife and I were not happy with our experience at Ed's?

And yet, since this thread was started to discuss Mama's, thanks to DK, Ed got a "bonus".

elgatoloco - 3-23-2010 at 12:05 PM

Do they still have Luche Libre on the telly at Mama's? That could be a clincher for us! :rolleyes:

rts551 - 3-23-2010 at 04:59 PM

cute I am in town right now. asked a couple of the stores about Ed's best.... blank looks..... fortunately I had printed out a copy f your post, after the laugh........

ask the locals about where the best food is!!!!

f your post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd

Pace? The guy likes Fox News, so here you go again!

Because facts are important... Ed's home made hot sauce is so popular, he now bottles it and sells it to meet the demand...

Bajahowodd - 3-23-2010 at 05:02 PM

"f" ? OK. I'm thinking that sometime in the near past, Ed may have removed a thorn from David's paw, probably at the Tourista Motel.

[Edited on 3-24-2010 by Bajahowodd]

David K - 3-23-2010 at 06:32 PM

I report on what I see and experience... nothing f'd about it. Sad the language spoken by some here... Things change... none of us have control over that. There are many good places in El Rosario... I like Tacos El Mision a lot, too.

Ralph, again I am disappointed in you need to attack... can't you get along even with nice Nomads (like me)?:biggrin::lol::rolleyes::light:

Bajahowodd - 3-23-2010 at 06:37 PM

Wondering if Baja Angel really knows what goes on when you're in El Rosario.

:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P

Skipjack Joe - 3-23-2010 at 07:05 PM

Need to talk to Doug about their timing. Too much syncopation.

:spingrin::spingrin::spingrin::spingrin::spingrin::spingrin:
:wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow:
:barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:
:P:P:P:P:P:P

longlegsinlapaz - 3-23-2010 at 07:08 PM

I'll let rs551 confirm or deny my suspicion....but if you'll LOOK CLOSELYat his original post, he had a typo & left the "o" off the word "of" & it appears that he cut & pasted too much text. So unless I'm mistaken, he wasn't intentionally crude in his post. It was a compounded typo.....I'm betting!:yes::yes:

Quote:
cute I am in town right now. asked a couple of the stores about Ed's best.... blank looks..... fortunately I had printed out a copy f your post, after the laugh........

f your post

rts551 - 3-23-2010 at 07:21 PM

Just trying to add balance and facts to the thread. Don't be disappointed... been in baja longer than you

Quote:
I report on what I see and experience... nothing f'd about it. Sad the language spoken by some here... Things change... none of us have control over that. There are many good places in El Rosario... I like Tacos El Mision a lot, too.

Ralph, again I am disappointed in you need to attack... can't you get along even with nice Nomads (like me)?:biggrin::lol::rolleyes::light:

rts551 - 3-23-2010 at 07:36 PM

my goodness. I am so sorry. I did not mean that what so ever. My appology David and everyone else for the Typo

Quote:
I'll let rs551 confirm or deny my suspicion....but if you'll LOOK CLOSELYat his original post, he had a typo & left the "o" off the word "of" & it appears that he cut & pasted too much text. So unless I'm mistaken, he wasn't intentionally crude in his post. It was a compounded typo.....I'm betting!:yes::yes:

Quote:

f your post

rts551 - 3-23-2010 at 07:39 PM

No more 8$ ed margaritas for me!!!!!!!

DianaT - 3-23-2010 at 07:44 PM

Quote:
No more 8$ ed margaritas for me!!!!!!!

Knew what Legs said had to be correct---it was easy to see what happened---can't see where you owe anyone an apology---typos happen.

[Edited on 3-24-2010 by DianaT]

David K - 3-24-2010 at 10:00 AM

Now, that IS funny!

Have a nice day Ralph!

Debra - 3-24-2010 at 10:18 AM

I was about to say the same thing Legs, it looked like a typo for 'of' to me...seeing the second part got me wondering, I didn't think of the cut and post thing...........thanks for pointing that out.

Debra - 3-24-2010 at 10:28 AM

Ed's place (as mentioned before) is bright yellow and on the right heading out of town........the sign says "Baja's Best" unless it's changed it doesn't say "Ed's" so don't look for that. We usually stop there for lunch.........my boys say he has the best burgers in the world (they are huge) I love their machaca and eggs. Never had a bad meal, sorry I can't say that about Mama's........she does have great breakfasts, but has gotten to expencive so we moved our business to Ed's, also nice to have such great and friendly service. If you have kids with you be sure to give them some run around time out back, added bonus, they will get a kick out of seeing the baby goats.

got_fishead - 3-24-2010 at 09:46 PM

you guys really make me laugh:tumble: sound like kids at the playground and one of you guys will take the ball home so we
can't play anymore.

I concur with you Debra, it was nice to stroll the grounds and the
sounds of the goats was nice. I will try the hamburger on the way
south for lunch.

remember my first posting "IMHO"

Baja's Best Restaurant (and Bed & Breakfast)

David K - 3-25-2010 at 04:18 AM

The front of Ed's place a year ago:

and 3 more years before...

406 017r.JPG - 40kB

Can you spot the typo?

Sharksbaja - 3-25-2010 at 01:29 PM

Quote:

One other issue comes to mind as to why Ed's Reataurant gets put down by some here on Nomad... the TV is often tuned to FOX NEWS (which is the #1 cable news program)... but some prefer to get their news from networks that don't provide all sides of the story

Made my day! :lol:

Bajahowodd - 3-25-2010 at 02:12 PM

Not to mention the thought process. Priorities. :biggrin: