BajaNomad

Baja Dentistry Comments/Recommendations?

Ken Cooke - 4-18-2010 at 07:42 AM

Can anyone comment on your experiences getting dental work south of the US border? My wife has a missing Premolar (Bicuspid) and we are aware of the price of Dental Implants here in the USA. Because this is considered to be 'elective' work, it is not covered by my Health Insurance. So, if I am paying cash, I would like to get the best service for my money. Muchas Gracias!

-Ken

SKIDS - 4-18-2010 at 10:31 AM

Hi Ken
My wife and I have been using Dr. Jose Gonzalez Franco in T.J. for about 10 years. He's an:yes: excellent dentist and is cheap.
He's located in Col. Cacho , Calle Batopilas No. 2270.
011-52-664-685-7126 or 684-1474.
Good Luck and vaya con dios !
Skids

Ken Cooke - 4-18-2010 at 11:10 AM

Thanks!! I wonder if he does Dental Implants???

durrelllrobert - 4-18-2010 at 11:12 AM

Because there are over 50 dentists in Algadonas they are very competitive and the prices are much lower than elsewere in Baja (even though they are almost in Sonora):light:

Ken Cooke - 4-18-2010 at 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Because there are over 50 dentists in Algadonas they are very competitive and the prices are much lower than elsewere in Baja (even though they are almost in Sonora):light:

I have heard that Algodones caters mainly to the Retirement crowd that gets its' dentistry needs met there. I have been there once, so I know exactly where Algodones is. We would definitely go first to check out the facilities, because my wife wants to make sure everything would go well for her.

DianaT - 4-18-2010 at 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert

I have heard that Algodones caters mainly to the Retirement crowd that gets its' dentistry needs met there. I have been there once, so I know exactly where Algodones is. We would definitely go first to check out the facilities, because my wife wants to make sure everything would go well for her.

The very large snowbird crowd from Yuma flock to Algodones for denistry, optical needs, and meds. There are even buses that take them from the trailer parks in Yuma to the border.

For those needs, it is easiest to park on the US side---there is large save parking lot run by the local native people, and walk across.

But if you do drive, it is an easy crossing back into the US. We crossed there yesterday and there was hardly any line at all. However, they were x-raying most of the cars which was a short delay.

Good luck.

rhintransit - 4-18-2010 at 11:22 AM

I have a friend who does all his dental work in Algondones. he says there are tons of dentists but the best have packed waiting rooms and the rest are empty. the good ones are well known by the Phoenix crowd. so check around carefully. I will ask him the name of his dentist and prices and get back to you.

am assuming you are wanting to do this near the border as you are looking at multiple visits months apart. however if you want to and can get south the required number of times, there are good ones all over. my dentist in Loreto quoted me about $1000 US for an implant he has an oral surgeon come up once a month to do that type of work here. am sure you can get comparable in La Paz, Cabo, etc. I'd be curious to know how that price compares with the border area, I suspect it might be less up there.

BajaNomad - 4-18-2010 at 06:52 PM

Lots of recommendations in the archives here...

Tijuana:

Washington Dental Clinic
Location 1: 2273 Juarez (at 2nd/Ocampo); 800-207-9223;
Location 2: 1673 Revolucion Ave; 800-818-7615;
http://www.washingtondentalclinic.net
Local #: 664-688-1516
(multiple recommendations)

Archie McCoy, DDS.; Arturo McCoy, DDS.; Jay McCoy, DDS.
Av. Melchor Ocampo 1651 (Entre Calle 8 Y Calle 9)
Zona Centro; Tijuana, B.C. Mex
664-685-4566

Samuel Velazquez
http://drsamsmiles.com
(recommended by FDT: "is great and pretty close to the border")

Ensenada:

Dr. Carlos Gallegos Rivas
Gastalum #777-7 Zona Centro Ensenada
Tel. (61) 178-31-77 Home (6) 177-26-93
(multiple recomendations)

Dr Luz Marina
In Ensenada 646-174-0878
(recommended by Keri: "Great lady. Painless, Many friends and Nomads go to her shes even written in one of the baja books.")

Algodones:
Dr Enrique Mendez
mendezarreola@hotmail.com
658-51-773-69; 928-255-5473
(recommended by Pescador: "is fantastic. Very clean, professional and I have had such good experience that I dropped my dental insurance plan back in Colorado.")

La Paz:
Evaristo Gonzales Becera
(recommended by Boe4fun: "I visit my Dentist in La Paz twice a year. He's very good, knowledgeble, and reasonable. He's in the phone book.")

BajaNomad - 4-18-2010 at 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad

Tijuana:

Washington Dental Clinic

btw... while I have read MANY good things about this place over a long period of time... I did have a Nomad warn me of work they had done here by one of the younger dentists that permanently damaged some of the nerves in their mouth.

Late to the Party

Gypsy Jan - 4-18-2010 at 06:56 PM

I am kind of surprised that no one has mentioned Dr. Avila in Rosarito.

SDRonni - 4-18-2010 at 07:01 PM

On recommendation of Nomads and a personal friend, had two crowns done by Dr. Oscar Avila in Rosarito. Very happy with his work, office, prices! I do know he does implants, also. On Benito Juarez Avenue, Rosarito Beach.......

bajalou - 4-18-2010 at 07:39 PM

Ken

My mother-in-law and sister-in-law both have had implants by Dr. Jose Valenzuela in Algodones. His US number is 866-223-6147 or 011 658 517 7498.

My sister-in-law drives from Huntington Beach for her dental work.

Good luck on this fun journey.

[Edited on 4-19-2010 by bajalou]

mtgoat666 - 4-18-2010 at 08:26 PM

Quote:
Can anyone comment on your experiences getting dental work south of the US border? My wife has a missing Premolar (Bicuspid) and we are aware of the price of Dental Implants here in the USA. Because this is considered to be 'elective' work, it is not covered by my Health Insurance. So, if I am paying cash, I would like to get the best service for my money. Muchas Gracias!

-Ken

dental implants normally rerquire multiple visits to periodontist/dentist. if you don't live near mex dentist, then skip mex dentist -- do you have time to travel down multiple trips to see periodontist, and multiple trips for crown fitting and placement? to save a couple hundred bucks?

for a single implant, you can pay for implant yourself, and get insurance to cover cost of crown on implant.

6K=Housing prices in East Detroit!

Ken Cooke - 4-18-2010 at 08:27 PM

Quote:

Tijuana:

Washington Dental Clinic

Archie McCoy, DDS.; Arturo McCoy, DDS.; Jay McCoy, DDS.
Av. Melchor Ocampo 1651 (Entre Calle 8 Y Calle 9)
Zona Centro; Tijuana, B.C. Mex
664-685-4566

Samuel Velazquez
http://drsamsmiles.com
(recommended by FDT: "is great and pretty close to the border")

Ensenada:

Dr Luz Marina
In Ensenada 646-174-0878
(recommended by Keri: "Great lady. Painless, Many friends and Nomads go to her shes even written in one of the baja books.")

Algodones:
Dr Enrique Mendez
mendezarreola@hotmail.com
658-51-773-69; 928-255-5473
(recommended by Pescador: "is fantastic. Very clean, professional and I have had such good experience that I dropped my dental insurance plan back in Colorado.")

La Paz:
Evaristo Gonzales Becera
(recommended by Boe4fun: "I visit my Dentist in La Paz twice a year. He's very good, knowledgeble, and reasonable. He's in the phone book.")

I appreciate all of the information everyone has posted to help my wife have an even better smile! $1K is a drop in the bucket COMPARED TO $6K which can actually buy you a small house back East! Plus, I will enjoy having a nice SEAFOOD PLATTER when we're south of the border.

Ken Cooke - 4-18-2010 at 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
dental implants normally rerquire multiple visits to periodontist/dentist. if you don't live near mex dentist, then skip mex dentist -- do you have time to travel down multiple trips to see periodontist, and multiple trips for crown fitting and placement? to save a couple hundred bucks?

for a single implant, you can pay for implant yourself, and get insurance to cover cost of crown on implant.

I live exactly 100 mi. from the Mexican border. So, this won't be a problem. If it were to save $100-$300 I would skip the trip, and stay close to home. Plus, my insurance policy does not cover dental implants whatsoever. Making a series of trips to Tijuana, Rosarito, or Algodones a better option. :light:

bajamigo - 4-18-2010 at 09:17 PM

We've used both these dentists:

Dr Luz Marina
In Ensenada 646-174-0878

Gallegos' prices are a little out of control; Dr. Marina is reasonable, extremely competent, has all the latest equipment and--get this--even asks you when you leave if you want to schedule the next appointment! She's terrific!

KurtG - 4-19-2010 at 08:29 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Tijuana:

Washington Dental Clinic

btw... while I have read MANY good things about this place over a long period of time... I did have a Nomad warn me of work they had done here by one of the younger dentists that permanently damaged some of the nerves in their mouth.

Note that Washington Dental moved to 9th and Revolucion a couple of years ago with its original staff. The group that continued to use the name at the 2nd St location then changed their name recently to Liberty Dental. I continue to use Washington and recommend Dr. Peña as the best of their group. Don't think they do implants, however.

irenemm - 4-19-2010 at 11:23 PM

I have used both these dentists:
Dr. Gallegos for almost 30 years. maybe the father i went to. Dra. Luz used to have an office in Chula Vista don't know if she still does. But much chraper down here. Her office is super clean.

Dr Luz Marina
In Ensenada 646-174-0878

Santiago - 4-20-2010 at 06:23 AM

On a related subject I was filling in at a home show booth this weekend for a friend of mine and the fellow in the booth next door was from Ukraine (we have a huge population of Slavic people in the Sacto area). I was talking about Baja and he said he was going to TJ next week and when I asked him why he replied for dental work. Turns out that nearly every Slavic person in Northern California drives to TJ and visits one particular dentist that has somehow developed a relationship with them. I work with many Slavic tradespeople and on asking around found it's true; once a month they caravan to SD, park north of the border, walk across for their dental work at one place, walk back and drive home. Didn't think to ask who the dentist was.

rhintransit - 4-20-2010 at 06:28 AM

this is one some friends in Phoenix swear by, no phone numbers given:

Algodones dentist office is Minerva Navaro Nogami. Easy to find. First street left after crossing border, then end of street on the left. Get there early because they are very popular and office tends to fill up. Open at 8. No appointment needed.

rayfornario - 4-20-2010 at 10:47 AM

Quote:

-Ken

Dr. Ignacio de la Vega
619-399-3538
he is on Calle 4ta,#7796:D

Muchas Gracias por las respuestas

Ken Cooke - 4-21-2010 at 07:35 PM

I appreciate all of the information and telephone numbers. With the literally THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS in savings, I will definitely travel with my wife to Tijuana for her work (and mine in the future if it involves dental implants).

noproblemo2 - 6-19-2010 at 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
I am kind of surprised that no one has mentioned Dr. Avila in Rosarito.

Dr. Avilla(he) in Rosarito is excellant as is Dr. Avilla(she) in Primo Tapia 661-614-1606

Ken Cooke - 6-19-2010 at 01:12 PM

Thanks again everyone for your recommendations.:yes:

MikeYounghusband - 6-19-2010 at 01:29 PM

I go to Dr. Gabriel Adame in Tacate, total cost for implant with crown $1600.
He took over the gusiness from his father who was the first dentist in Tacate. I have been going to him for 20 years+ his son is now taking over the business.
His phone number is 619-631-4454. He is literally a stones throw from the border. 5 minute walk.

Dentistry Tijuana

Mum13 - 9-16-2010 at 04:09 PM

Dr. Jose T. Gonzalez Franco is our Dentist too, we been going with him for about 17 years now; he is honest about the price en service and he has plenty of experience. Another plus is that he accepts most of the American insurances. Once you go with him you won’t want to trust another Dentist.

I think he recently changed his address from downtown to near Zona del Rio…Col. Cacho, but here is his number and address:

From USA 011-52-664-685-7126 or 684-1474.
Batopilas 2270, Madero Sur (Old Colonia Cacho), Tijuana, Baja California, México

Google Map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=fr&...

[Edited on 9-17-2010 by BajaNomad]

BajaNomad - 9-16-2010 at 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG
Quote:

Note that Washington Dental moved to 9th and Revolucion a couple of years ago with its original staff. The group that continued to use the name at the 2nd St location then changed their name recently to Liberty Dental. I continue to use Washington and recommend Dr. Peña as the best of their group.
Would you believe that Dr. Vladimir Peña was the one I was "warned" about?

:o

http://www.washingtondentalclinics.com/tijuana/index.php/abo...

sanquintinsince73 - 9-16-2010 at 08:43 PM

Dr. Avila in Rosarito. Top notch dentist, super clean & modern office, great prices, and he teaches dentistry. I have his personal e-mail if needed.

BajaBlanca - 9-16-2010 at 09:04 PM

Hi Ken - I have a really good dentist in TJ

Dr Samuel Gomez

He is located right across the border - across from the wax museum and right where the that white arch is on Revolution

My biggest push for Sam is that there is NO pain, no matter what he does. His hands are guided by angels. Both my kids had all their teeth handled by him (and one son had 10 teeth removed, he was born with too many). He was ready to eat while we were on our way back to San Diego ....

He is on facebook - CLINICA DENTAL CENTRO / DR. SAMUEL GOMEZ

He has lots of Slavs stop by ... he may be the one someone mentioned above.

k-rico - 11-10-2010 at 03:45 PM

Just had a lower rear molar extracted today. $40. Walked into the office to make an appointment and he was available. 30 minutes later the job was done. Expert with the needle, no pain, thoroughly modern office, English. No need for a return visit.

Playas de Tijuana, Dr. Juan Carlos Rios, Endodonist, corner of Paseo Ensenada and Parque Mexico.

(664) 680-2509
endojuanc@hotmail.com

He accepts American insurance.

Pescador - 11-14-2010 at 03:06 PM

Well, Mountain goat strikes again with his wisdom and knowledge. NO wonder he takes a liberal stance on things. The truth is that an implant runs about $1200 in Algodones, a little more or less depending on who does it and other factors. Most implants in the states run closer to $7500 to $10,000, so do your own math. You have to have the implant put in to your bone and then let the implant seat itself and permanently attach to the bone. This normally takes around 6 months and after that is done, it is a one visit time to attach the crown to the implant. So two visits are usually required and for the savings, it is probably worthwhile to use the dentists there.
You can look at the offerings there and get good information by going to http://www.losalgodones.com and look at the doctors involved and get a real feel for who is good and who might be questionable.

[Edited on 11-14-2010 by Pescador]

k-rico - 11-14-2010 at 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Most implants in the states run closer to $7500 to $10,000,....

The American Dental Association has the national average cost at $3,289.

http://www.dentalimplantscost.org/

I'm in the market, think I'll go with a baja bridge for $500.

[Edited on 11-14-2010 by k-rico]

Pescador - 11-15-2010 at 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by k-rico
Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Most implants in the states run closer to $7500 to $10,000,....

The American Dental Association has the national average cost at $3,289.

http://www.dentalimplantscost.org/

I'm in the market, think I'll go with a baja bridge for $500.

[Edited on 11-14-2010 by k-rico]

from: http://www.costhelper.com/cost/health/dental-implant.htm

Typical costs:
Basic implants are $1,250-$3,000 each, but the total cost can escalate to $15,000-$30,000 depending on location, complexity and the need for bone or gum restoration work, according to DentalResources.com.Many dentists provide financing because most insurance doesn't cover implants.
What should be included:

Typical costs:
Basic implants are $1,250-$3,000 each, but the total cost can escalate to $15,000-$30,000 depending on location, complexity and the need for bone or gum restoration work, according to DentalResources.com.Many dentists provide financing because most insurance doesn't cover implants.
What should be included:

Additional costs:
Get a detailed quote covering the cost of the surgery (including anesthesia), the post and the crown, whether more than one implant or crown is needed and the possible use of synthetic bone material during surgery, and whether all office visits or X-rays are included in the estimate.

When I did a quote from the dental company in my home town in Colorado, I was close to $5,200 for a standard implant with the crown. I had the same procedure done in Algodones for $1,200 total.

[Edited on 11-16-2010 by Pescador]

toneart - 11-15-2010 at 09:34 PM

Many of us live full time or part time in Baja Sur. We would appreciate some dentist referrals for our region. Thank you.:light:

BajaNomad - 11-15-2010 at 10:37 PM

Quote:

La Paz:
Evaristo Gonzales Becera

Pescador - 11-16-2010 at 04:24 PM

Well, the most referred dentist in Baja Sur is in La Paz and although I have used the guys in Algodones for the last 10 years, it is a hassle for me to go north so I started using this new guy and I am really happy with everything he is doing. He has been written up in the Gringo Gazette, on the web in La Paz and even though he has no web site, he is well respected by everyone I have ever talked to.

Dr. Eduardo Talamantes
Reforma 335
La Paz, BCS
122-7343
122-6855

KurtG - 12-1-2010 at 11:35 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Note that Washington Dental moved to 9th and Revolucion a couple of years ago with its original staff. The group that continued to use the name at the 2nd St location then changed their name recently to Liberty Dental. I continue to use Washington and recommend Dr. Peña as the best of their group.
Would you believe that Dr. Vladimir Peña was the one I was "warned" about?

:o

http://www.washingtondentalclinics.com/tijuana/index.php/abo...

I'm really surprised at that. I was just there last Saturday with a family member who need a crown and I had some more work done. She saw Dr. Peña and I saw Dr. Miranda who has been there for many years. We were both pleased with the work and the clinic in general. Do you have any more details on the negative report?

Pompano - 12-1-2010 at 11:40 AM

I have an urgent need for some dental work. Are there any good dentists closer to Mulege than La Paz? I think I will require a few visits to complete the work.

How about a good dentist in Loreto? I could take the motorhome, stay for a week or so in a RV park with wifi? Visit Augie's?

La Paz if nothing else. Thanks.

bajacalifornian - 12-1-2010 at 12:07 PM

Hey Pomp . . . without a dental lab in Loreto to support a dentist providing complex procedures, treatment here is limited to routine procedures. A lady dentist in La Paz named Yxchel Clavel Gutierrez (612) 122 31 36, 044 (612) 141 70 67, is also an excellent choice. You'd likely do well to stop by Augie's each direction, spending time further south. u2 for directions should you choose.

BajaBlanca - 12-1-2010 at 07:23 PM

Pompano - If you need meds to numb the pain, I have ambesol.

Pompano - 12-1-2010 at 07:56 PM

Thanks for the kind offer, Blanca...but I have no discomfort, just some dental work I want to attend to before going on a long trip.

I have a high pain endurance level, I am told. Something akin to the alleged dinosaurs low reactions/brain synapses I think...

BajaBlanca - 12-1-2010 at 08:07 PM

that's a relief - once I was in major pain (root canal needed) and had to endure it all the way to TJ with an overnight in Ensenada .... I actually kneeled down to thank the individual here in town who gave me the ambesol. Now I keep a stash :lol::lol:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I hate tooth pain.

BajaNomad - 12-1-2010 at 09:33 PM

Quote:
Do you have any more details on the negative report?
Yes. But nothing that I will post.

BajaBlanca - 12-2-2010 at 05:21 PM

yup. make that lemonade !

Dental 911

Ken Cooke - 12-21-2011 at 03:49 PM

It looks like I will be cutting/pasting info from this thread onto MS Word and making several phone calls today. Leidys has two wisdom teeth (#1, #16) which need immediate extraction. Hope all goes well since she will need general anesthesia. Thanks for everyones help with this thread.

Ken Cooke - 12-21-2011 at 04:11 PM

Today, Leidys and I visited a Doctor who would not agree to a "Free Consultation" unless he completed the work. Our "Free Estimate" at this particular office would cost us money if we did not have this Doctor perform the tooth extractions. Catch 22. Leidys needs to have this work performed asap since she has been in pain since last Thursday. Therefore, I will be following up on these referrals and try to make a decision later this evening. Our other option is to wait until January 2012 to find a Doctor in Riverside who will perform the work within our budget (of approx $2K).

Ken Cooke - 12-21-2011 at 04:23 PM

To keep her pain down, Leidys is doing housework.:lol: Maybe, I should postpone this work to see how much work she can complete!:yes:

desertcpl - 12-21-2011 at 05:22 PM

Ken

we just took our son to Algodonas about 2 weeks ago, he had a infected wisdom tooth and in alot of pain
plus we had his teeth cleaned at the same time

Cost $ 125.00 for every thing, exrays, extraction, cleaning, they also gave him a RX for antibodies, for this was about $10.00

desertcpl - 12-21-2011 at 05:31 PM

Dr. Eleazar Inzunza

1 st No 60
to the left of the gate

phone us,, 760-890-4786

0r 011-52 (658) 517-7776
WWW.dentalinzunza.com

fdt - 12-21-2011 at 05:32 PM

The best is here in Tijuana, several Nomads have been to him and are very satisfied. Dr Samuel Velazquez http://drsamsmiles.com

Happy Holidays?

Ken Cooke - 12-21-2011 at 10:15 PM

Today, I purchased pre-paid phone cards and my Wife began making phone calls.

Happy Holidays! Dentists are at home with their families. :!:

Tomorrow, I will make more telephone calls, but it looks like she will not get her dental work performed until after January 1st.

Leidys wants to say, "Thank You!"

Ken Cooke - 12-21-2011 at 10:26 PM

Leidys is thankful for all of the nice people on BajaNomad. She could not afford to have this work completed in Colombia. Her family did not have the resources to take care of dentistry, but we plan on combining our Christmas money to arrange some sort of dental care for Leidys a.s.a.p. Because we have our Passports and love being in Mexico (whenever possible), having our healthcare needs.

Thank you, Baja Nomad!

pain med's

captkw - 12-22-2011 at 05:15 AM

hola, the one thing I cant get here in baja is pain med's..it seems only a very few docter's have the speical little stamp (sella) for a scrip and no dentist have pain medication,,hell,I'll take the whole bar on in a fight,,but go to the dentist,,that's what 4+4 were made for,,to drag me into a dentist chair !!! Keith & lil tasha:cool:

Hook - 12-22-2011 at 05:49 AM

Just for perspective, a prominent dentist in Guaymas who is very popular with the gringos over here just quoted me 16,000 pesos for an implant and crown, all-inclusive. I received this quote about three weeks ago. So, at about 13.5/1, that's a little under 1200.00US.

He also quoted a permanent bridge at 8,700 pesos.This would be the type that compromises the teeth on either side of the missing tooth; not a Maryland bridge, which is what I have had for the last 13 years.

Problem is, the teeth on either side are virgin teeth; 2 of the last 4 teeth in my head that have had NO work done on them. This is the reason my US dentist recommended the Maryland bridge. It was supposed to last 10 years; it lasted 13, so I really cant complain.

But I need to make a decision on this. Anyone out there who has had a bridge and then went to an implant on the same tooth (area) and who can compare what living with each is like? Are implants completely maintenance free? Do the crowns come off, occasionally? At these prices, money is no object.

Fernando to the rescue!

Ken Cooke - 12-22-2011 at 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
The best is here in Tijuana, several Nomads have been to him and are very satisfied. Dr Samuel Velazquez http://drsamsmiles.com

Let's hope that this Dentist can work for us. These holidays are making it nearly impossible for Leidys to gain access to a Dentist since most are on vacation.