BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Baja Dentistry Comments/Recommendations?
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 4-18-2010 at 07:42 AM
Baja Dentistry Comments/Recommendations?

Can anyone comment on your experiences getting dental work south of the US border? My wife has a missing Premolar (Bicuspid) and we are aware of the price of Dental Implants here in the USA. Because this is considered to be 'elective' work, it is not covered by my Health Insurance. So, if I am paying cash, I would like to get the best service for my money. Muchas Gracias!

-Ken

SKIDS
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2010 at 10:31 AM

Hi Ken
My wife and I have been using Dr. Jose Gonzalez Franco in T.J. for about 10 years. He's an:yes: excellent dentist and is cheap.
He's located in Col. Cacho , Calle Batopilas No. 2270.
011-52-664-685-7126 or 684-1474.
Good Luck and vaya con dios !
Skids
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2010 at 11:10 AM

Thanks!! I wonder if he does Dental Implants???

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 4-18-2010 at 11:12 AM

Because there are over 50 dentists in Algadonas they are very competitive and the prices are much lower than elsewere in Baja (even though they are almost in Sonora):light:

Bob Durrell
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2010 at 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Because there are over 50 dentists in Algadonas they are very competitive and the prices are much lower than elsewere in Baja (even though they are almost in Sonora):light:

I have heard that Algodones caters mainly to the Retirement crowd that gets its' dentistry needs met there. I have been there once, so I know exactly where Algodones is. We would definitely go first to check out the facilities, because my wife wants to make sure everything would go well for her.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2010 at 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert

I have heard that Algodones caters mainly to the Retirement crowd that gets its' dentistry needs met there. I have been there once, so I know exactly where Algodones is. We would definitely go first to check out the facilities, because my wife wants to make sure everything would go well for her.

The very large snowbird crowd from Yuma flock to Algodones for denistry, optical needs, and meds. There are even buses that take them from the trailer parks in Yuma to the border.

For those needs, it is easiest to park on the US side---there is large save parking lot run by the local native people, and walk across.

But if you do drive, it is an easy crossing back into the US. We crossed there yesterday and there was hardly any line at all. However, they were x-raying most of the cars which was a short delay.

Good luck.

rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2010 at 11:22 AM

I have a friend who does all his dental work in Algondones. he says there are tons of dentists but the best have packed waiting rooms and the rest are empty. the good ones are well known by the Phoenix crowd. so check around carefully. I will ask him the name of his dentist and prices and get back to you.

am assuming you are wanting to do this near the border as you are looking at multiple visits months apart. however if you want to and can get south the required number of times, there are good ones all over. my dentist in Loreto quoted me about $1000 US for an implant he has an oral surgeon come up once a month to do that type of work here. am sure you can get comparable in La Paz, Cabo, etc. I'd be curious to know how that price compares with the border area, I suspect it might be less up there.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 4-18-2010 at 06:52 PM

Lots of recommendations in the archives here...

Tijuana:

Washington Dental Clinic
Location 1: 2273 Juarez (at 2nd/Ocampo); 800-207-9223;
Location 2: 1673 Revolucion Ave; 800-818-7615;
http://www.washingtondentalclinic.net
Local #: 664-688-1516
(multiple recommendations)

Archie McCoy, DDS.; Arturo McCoy, DDS.; Jay McCoy, DDS.
Av. Melchor Ocampo 1651 (Entre Calle 8 Y Calle 9)
Zona Centro; Tijuana, B.C. Mex
664-685-4566

Samuel Velazquez
http://drsamsmiles.com
(recommended by FDT: "is great and pretty close to the border")

Ensenada:

Dr. Carlos Gallegos Rivas
Gastalum #777-7 Zona Centro Ensenada
Tel. (61) 178-31-77 Home (6) 177-26-93
(multiple recomendations)

Dr Luz Marina
In Ensenada 646-174-0878
(recommended by Keri: "Great lady. Painless, Many friends and Nomads go to her shes even written in one of the baja books.")

Algodones:
Dr Enrique Mendez
mendezarreola@hotmail.com
658-51-773-69; 928-255-5473
(recommended by Pescador: "is fantastic. Very clean, professional and I have had such good experience that I dropped my dental insurance plan back in Colorado.")

La Paz:
Evaristo Gonzales Becera
(recommended by Boe4fun: "I visit my Dentist in La Paz twice a year. He's very good, knowledgeble, and reasonable. He's in the phone book.")

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 4-18-2010 at 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad

Tijuana:

Washington Dental Clinic

btw... while I have read MANY good things about this place over a long period of time... I did have a Nomad warn me of work they had done here by one of the younger dentists that permanently damaged some of the nerves in their mouth.

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 4-18-2010 at 06:56 PM
Late to the Party

I am kind of surprised that no one has mentioned Dr. Avila in Rosarito.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
SDRonni
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2010 at 07:01 PM

On recommendation of Nomads and a personal friend, had two crowns done by Dr. Oscar Avila in Rosarito. Very happy with his work, office, prices! I do know he does implants, also. On Benito Juarez Avenue, Rosarito Beach.......
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2010 at 07:39 PM

Ken

My mother-in-law and sister-in-law both have had implants by Dr. Jose Valenzuela in Algodones. His US number is 866-223-6147 or 011 658 517 7498.

My sister-in-law drives from Huntington Beach for her dental work.

Good luck on this fun journey.

[Edited on 4-19-2010 by bajalou]

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-18-2010 at 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Can anyone comment on your experiences getting dental work south of the US border? My wife has a missing Premolar (Bicuspid) and we are aware of the price of Dental Implants here in the USA. Because this is considered to be 'elective' work, it is not covered by my Health Insurance. So, if I am paying cash, I would like to get the best service for my money. Muchas Gracias!

-Ken

dental implants normally rerquire multiple visits to periodontist/dentist. if you don't live near mex dentist, then skip mex dentist -- do you have time to travel down multiple trips to see periodontist, and multiple trips for crown fitting and placement? to save a couple hundred bucks?

for a single implant, you can pay for implant yourself, and get insurance to cover cost of crown on implant.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

eureka.gif posted on 4-18-2010 at 08:27 PM
6K=Housing prices in East Detroit!

Quote:
Lots of recommendations in the archives here...

Tijuana:

Washington Dental Clinic

Archie McCoy, DDS.; Arturo McCoy, DDS.; Jay McCoy, DDS.
Av. Melchor Ocampo 1651 (Entre Calle 8 Y Calle 9)
Zona Centro; Tijuana, B.C. Mex
664-685-4566

Samuel Velazquez
http://drsamsmiles.com
(recommended by FDT: "is great and pretty close to the border")

Ensenada:

Dr Luz Marina
In Ensenada 646-174-0878
(recommended by Keri: "Great lady. Painless, Many friends and Nomads go to her shes even written in one of the baja books.")

Algodones:
Dr Enrique Mendez
mendezarreola@hotmail.com
658-51-773-69; 928-255-5473
(recommended by Pescador: "is fantastic. Very clean, professional and I have had such good experience that I dropped my dental insurance plan back in Colorado.")

La Paz:
Evaristo Gonzales Becera
(recommended by Boe4fun: "I visit my Dentist in La Paz twice a year. He's very good, knowledgeble, and reasonable. He's in the phone book.")

I appreciate all of the information everyone has posted to help my wife have an even better smile! $1K is a drop in the bucket COMPARED TO $6K which can actually buy you a small house back East! Plus, I will enjoy having a nice SEAFOOD PLATTER when we're south of the border.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2010 at 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
dental implants normally rerquire multiple visits to periodontist/dentist. if you don't live near mex dentist, then skip mex dentist -- do you have time to travel down multiple trips to see periodontist, and multiple trips for crown fitting and placement? to save a couple hundred bucks?

for a single implant, you can pay for implant yourself, and get insurance to cover cost of crown on implant.

I live exactly 100 mi. from the Mexican border. So, this won't be a problem. If it were to save $100-$300 I would skip the trip, and stay close to home. Plus, my insurance policy does not cover dental implants whatsoever. Making a series of trips to Tijuana, Rosarito, or Algodones a better option. :light:

bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 4-18-2010 at 09:17 PM

We've used both these dentists:

Dr Luz Marina
In Ensenada 646-174-0878

Gallegos' prices are a little out of control; Dr. Marina is reasonable, extremely competent, has all the latest equipment and--get this--even asks you when you leave if you want to schedule the next appointment! She's terrific!

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 4-19-2010 at 08:29 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Tijuana:

Washington Dental Clinic

btw... while I have read MANY good things about this place over a long period of time... I did have a Nomad warn me of work they had done here by one of the younger dentists that permanently damaged some of the nerves in their mouth.

Note that Washington Dental moved to 9th and Revolucion a couple of years ago with its original staff. The group that continued to use the name at the 2nd St location then changed their name recently to Liberty Dental. I continue to use Washington and recommend Dr. Peña as the best of their group. Don't think they do implants, however.
irenemm
Senior Nomad

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 4-19-2010 at 11:23 PM

I have used both these dentists:
Dr. Gallegos for almost 30 years. maybe the father i went to. Dra. Luz used to have an office in Chula Vista don't know if she still does. But much chraper down here. Her office is super clean.

Dr Luz Marina
In Ensenada 646-174-0878

stop and visit us

http://www.posadadondiego.com
see us on facebook
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2010 at 06:23 AM

On a related subject I was filling in at a home show booth this weekend for a friend of mine and the fellow in the booth next door was from Ukraine (we have a huge population of Slavic people in the Sacto area). I was talking about Baja and he said he was going to TJ next week and when I asked him why he replied for dental work. Turns out that nearly every Slavic person in Northern California drives to TJ and visits one particular dentist that has somehow developed a relationship with them. I work with many Slavic tradespeople and on asking around found it's true; once a month they caravan to SD, park north of the border, walk across for their dental work at one place, walk back and drive home. Didn't think to ask who the dentist was.
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2010 at 06:28 AM

this is one some friends in Phoenix swear by, no phone numbers given:

Algodones dentist office is Minerva Navaro Nogami. Easy to find. First street left after crossing border, then end of street on the left. Get there early because they are very popular and office tends to fill up. Open at 8. No appointment needed.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.