BajaNomad

New Immigration Rules?

nobaddays - 5-4-2010 at 01:52 PM

Anyone have any first had experience with the new rules?

grace59 - 5-4-2010 at 06:45 PM

Sorry, not yet. We renew our FM3s in July. My understanding from the woman who helps us with our paperwork in San Felipe is that you must now be in Mexico at your time of renewal and take the paperwork to immigration yourself. Turn around time is suppose to be short as they are doing away with the FM3 books and issuing an ID card of some type. I think all other requirements remain the same....also heard that consulates in the US will no longer be able to issue FM2s or 3s. I will post our experiences when we go down to renew.

BajaNomad - 5-5-2010 at 01:31 AM

Fishbuck wrote to say:

"I just renewed mine in Ensenada. It expired May 1. I used Blanca and it was the same as last year. No change. I dropped it off April 12 and Blanca emailed me today saying it's ready."

Bob and Susan - 5-5-2010 at 04:45 AM

but there it is...

he renewed in april:light:

the changes are in may

Alan - 5-6-2010 at 08:33 AM

Are the new rules posted anywhere?

grace59 - 5-6-2010 at 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
Are the new rules posted anywhere?

This is the email that I got from the woman who handles my immigation: "NEW IMMIGRATION RUGULATIONS

BASICALLY THE NEW CHANGES ISSUED FROM IMMIGRATION ARE THAT THE INDIVIDUAL MUST BE PRESENT TO SUBMIT THEIR FORMS AND DOCUMENTATION. IT IS NO LONGER ACCEPTABLE FOR ANOTHER INDIVIDUAL TO SUBMIT THE FORM FOR YOU.

IMMIGRATION WILL DO AWAY WITH THE FM BOOK AND ISSUE AN OFFICAL FM IDENTIFICATION CARD. THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT THIS SHOULD SPEED UP THE PROCESS AND YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO RECEIVE YOUR NEW FM IDENTIFICATION CARD WITHIN 24 WORKING HOURS.
THE IMMIGRATION OFFICE WILL OPEN TO RECEIVE AND ISSUE FM CARD FROM 9:00 AM TO 1:00 PM MONDAY TO FRIDAY EXCLUDING ANY HOLIDAYS.

ALL THE DOCUMENTATION THAT WAS REQUIRED BEFORE WILL STILL BE NECESSARY TO SUBMIT WITH YOUR NEW APPLICATION (COPIES OF YOUR PASSPORT, PROOF OF PAYMENT FOR GOVERNMENT FEES, BANK LETTER SHOWING ACCOUNT DEPOSIT, PROOF OF ADDRESS IN MEXICO AND PHOTOGRAPHS). YOUR CURRENT EXPIRATION DATE IS STILL VALID AND YOU WILL BE ABLE TO SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION UP TO THIRTY DAYS AHEAD OF THE EXPIRATION DATE."
The office hours are for immigration in San Felipe. I don't know if this is a universal time across Mexico.

k-rico - 5-6-2010 at 05:18 PM

I'm wondering what the income requirements for a new FM-3 are and the documentation necessary to prove you meet the requirements.

Also what the deal is if you do not have an income but you have a few bucks in the bank that you withdraw when needed.

bajalou - 5-6-2010 at 05:40 PM

In San Felipe you only have had to show money in the bank, not income.

DianaT - 5-6-2010 at 06:44 PM

I am trying to find the new rules posted somewhere. We may go the Guerrero Negro next week and ask because the information we received from our agent is different.

He said we no longer needed the proof of residency---electric bill, etc., nor the bank statements but we did need a letter. As of yet, he has not clarified what that letter is.

He said that we have to go to Guerrero Negro to be fingerprinted and sign papers and then it is done by internet.

Still quite confused and our FM3s expire in June.

Maybe we will have more information next week, but of course what we are told at Guerrero Negro, may be different?????

Liked doing it the old way.

dtbushpilot - 5-6-2010 at 09:10 PM

Well, this is what happened to me and Jill:
We have FM2s (first renewal) that expired on April 20th. We planned to be here to renew the first of April but a medical necessity kept us from traveling South. I drove down last week with both of our FM2s to get them renewed knowing that I would have to pay an 800 peso (each) fine but assuming that I could get them both done....wrong. New rules, must be here in person. I can do mine but not Jill's and she can't travel down here for at least 10 weeks, she can't come down at all because immigration now has her (and my) FM2. I need to get back to San Diego ASAP but it will be at least 10 days (probably more like a month) to get my renewed FM2. I can't stay that long, I need to go. I asked about a "paper" that we have gotten in the past so that we can travel while our FMs are being renewed and was told that the new rules don't allow that any more.

So, here is the solution: Tomorrow my agent is going to request that immigration cancel our FM2s and issue me a "paper" that states such so that I can legally leave the country (as I no longer have my FM). I can probably have that by Monday afternoon. He indicated that Jill's FM2 would be cancelled after it was 30 days past expiration anyway so we can come back whenever we want, getting an fmt at the border (like the old days) since we no longer have immigrant status and re-apply for our FM2's (after paying our 1600 peso fine). We will lose the year that we had our FM2's toward the time needed to apply for citizenship.

I've got a bad feeling about this......wonder why....dt

[Edited on 5-7-2010 by dtbushpilot]

Bajaboy - 5-6-2010 at 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Fishbuck wrote to say:

"I just renewed mine in Ensenada. It expired May 1. I used Blanca and it was the same as last year. No change. I dropped it off April 12 and Blanca emailed me today saying it's ready."

Who is Fisbuck:?:

DianaT - 5-6-2010 at 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
Well, this is what happened to me and Jill:
We have FM2s (first renewal) that expired on April 20th. We planned to be here to renew the first of April but a medical necessity kept us from traveling South. I drove down last week with both of our FM2s to get them renewed knowing that I would have to pay an 800 peso (each) fine but assuming that I could get them both done....wrong. New rules, must be here in person. I can do mine but not Jill's and she can't travel down here for at least 10 weeks, she can't come down at all because immigration now has her (and my) FM2. I need to get back to San Diego ASAP but it will be at least 10 days (probably more like a month) to get my renewed FM2. I can't stay that long, I need to go. I asked about a "paper" that we have gotten in the past so that we can travel while our FMs are being renewed and was told that the new rules don't allow that any more.

So, here is the solution: Tomorrow my agent is going to request that immigration cancel our FM2s and issue me a "paper" that states such so that I can legally leave the country (as I no longer have my FM). I can probably have that by Monday afternoon. He indicated that Jill's FM2 would be cancelled after it was 30 days past expiration anyway so we can come back whenever we want, getting an fmt at the border (like the old days) since we no longer have immigrant status and re-apply for our FM2's (after paying our 1600 peso fine). We will lose the year that we had our FM2's toward the time needed to apply for citizenship.

I've got a bad feeling about this......wonder why....dt

[Edited on 5-7-2010 by dtbushpilot]

This is not sounding good. We hoped to leave our FM3s and pick them up on our way back down---but if they are not issuing the travel paper any more, that is not good.

Since we are not looking toward getting an FM2, maybe we will just get a new FM3 in San Diego----I hope that is still a possibility.

Before they told us in San Diego that we could get new FM3s every year if we did not want to work toward an FM2---

Thanks for the info---

dtbushpilot - 5-6-2010 at 09:25 PM

Good luck with that diana....dt

BajaNomad - 5-6-2010 at 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
but there it is...

he renewed in april:light:

the changes are in may

Fishbuck follow-up:
---------------------------------
My email to Blanca May 5:

Hi Blanca!

There is talk on BajaNomad that effective May 1 that there are new FM3 renewal rules. Do the new rules prevent the use of an agent and require the FM3 holder to renew in person at the immigration office?
Thank you

Mike

Email from Blanca May 6:

Hi Michael, for now all things are almost the same, I am able to take documents but people must come to pick up the document because the card must be signed. For you the change to the card is going to be until next year and we have to wait because Immigration change things all the time. Blanca M.
---------------------------------

BajaWarrior - 5-7-2010 at 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Fishbuck wrote to say:

Who is Fisbuck:?:

Former Nomad, now a lurker.

dtbushpilot - 5-7-2010 at 07:29 AM

Lurker?......for a minute there I thought you meant "lunker" but then again maybe you did mean lurker:lol::lol::lol:....dt

DianaT - 5-7-2010 at 07:50 AM

From all the information so far, it sounds like no one, including the immigration offices know what is happening.

dtbushpilot - 5-7-2010 at 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
From all the information so far, it sounds like no one, including the immigration offices know what is happening.

That's the impression that I get too, the rules are a moving target as usual. Hopefully they will get it worked out in a few months....dt

danaeb - 5-7-2010 at 08:25 AM

Diane - I found this on sanfelipe.com:

FM-3 and FM-2 visas will no longer be available from consulates outside Mexico. Instead, if you apply there, you will get a sticker in your passport. With that, you apply for an FMM when you enter Mexico, then have 30 days to "exchange" it for an FM-3 or FM-2 in your town of residence. So for most it generally still makes more sense to not bother with consulates and apply once you arrive.
FM-3 income amounts maybe changing

To get an FM-3, the rules (still) state you must show an income from sources outside Mexico of 250 times the daily minimum wage in Mexico city, which for 2010 is 57.46 pesos. So that's a monthly income of 14,265 pesos (around $1100). Add half as much again for each dependent.

Previously, you only needed half this amount if you owned (or rented) property in Mexico. From May 2010, this may change. The law new immigration manual rules state there is now NO REDUCTION in the income requirements for an FM-3 if you own a house. In other words, a single person who owns a property must now show an income of around $1100 a month, up from $550. A significant change for those on a low pension, if it is enforced.

shari - 5-7-2010 at 08:33 AM

I'm not sure this will help but when I got my FM3, I didnt have to show an income....I just had to show a bank statement that proved I had money...probably the equivalent to what the yearly income requirements were. Obviously if I lived in mexico, and didnt have a pension, I had no income. They were OK just proving I had money in the bank so I wouldnt be a burden to mexico.

durrelllrobert - 5-7-2010 at 09:09 AM

Yesterday we went to my agent (Carlos Victrica), who's office is attached to the miggration office in Ensenada, to renew my wife's FM3 which expires in June. Because the new FM3/ FM2 format is a driver's license size laminated card we had to first go and have new smaller sized photos (180 pesos) taken, then we had to submit bank statements (3 months- that did not have to be translated into Spanish). Filled out and signed application and that was it. Carlos walked these next door, submitted them and they were approved instantly. The miggration officer said we could come back tommorrow to have fingerprint and signature added to card before lamination EXCEPT THAT HIS OFFICE DOES NOT HAVE THE CARDS YET (check back manñana?). Total cost, including: agent fee, was $257 US.:bounce::bounce::bounce:

bajaguy - 5-7-2010 at 09:12 AM

Just BoB.....where did you have the photos taken???

DENNIS - 5-7-2010 at 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

Carlos Victoria sent me to Hollywood Studio. It's on Juárez/Fifth, one block north of Ruíz/Hussong's Street.

bajaguy - 5-7-2010 at 09:29 AM

Thanks Dennis :bounce:

DianaT - 5-7-2010 at 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by danaeb
Diane - I found this on sanfelipe.com:

FM-3 and FM-2 visas will no longer be available from consulates outside Mexico. Instead, if you apply there, you will get a sticker in your passport. With that, you apply for an FMM when you enter Mexico, then have 30 days to "exchange" it for an FM-3 or FM-2 in your town of residence. So for most it generally still makes more sense to not bother with consulates and apply once you arrive.
FM-3 income amounts maybe changing

To get an FM-3, the rules (still) state you must show an income from sources outside Mexico of 250 times the daily minimum wage in Mexico city, which for 2010 is 57.46 pesos. So that's a monthly income of 14,265 pesos (around $1100). Add half as much again for each dependent.

Previously, you only needed half this amount if you owned (or rented) property in Mexico. From May 2010, this may change. The law new immigration manual rules state there is now NO REDUCTION in the income requirements for an FM-3 if you own a house. In other words, a single person who owns a property must now show an income of around $1100 a month, up from $550. A significant change for those on a low pension, if it is enforced.

Well, cancel the idea of getting the new one in San Diego.

I can hardly wait now to go to Guerrero Negro and see what they say. I wonder if they will still need to send it to La Paz. We really do not want to deal with them, but from what our agent says, we have no choice.

As soon as they get all of these new rules straightened out, I bet they will come up with some NEW regulations.

Seems like it would be easier if we lived in La Paz---but not moving. :biggrin:

Meantime, it looks like it is going to be the most difficult for those who are not in Mexico when their FM3 expires----and the new income requirements may also be a real problem for some.

No one ever said it was going to be easy!

durrelllrobert - 5-8-2010 at 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

at the photo studio on SOUTH side of plaza where Office Depot and Soriana are located:?:

[Edited on 5-8-2010 by durrelllrobert]

redmesa - 5-8-2010 at 07:14 PM

Keeps getting harder and harder to play by the rules.

Bajaboy - 5-8-2010 at 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by redmesa

Why play by the rules? I thought illegal immigration was a human right:light:

gnukid - 5-8-2010 at 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:
Originally posted by redmesa

Why play by the rules? I thought illegal immigration was a human right:light:

So everyone who can not get down there to renew during their date is going to lose their visa. Most people don't know about the changes as they are not well publicized or understood. Many people who have vacation homes can not get down there at the drop of a hat and for many its just too expensive.

So there will many many people who lose their visas and therefore they may lose other things such as corporations, the right to work, the right to own property etc... It seems that this sudden change is far more significant than anyone so far has considered.

There is something quite radical going on here and its largely misunderstood by visa holders, paper pushers and INM agents.

I do know there is the goal of aligning USA-MEX-CAN laws and policies toward the signed goals of the SPP but I wonder how this plays out? It seems to me that this significant change will limit visa holders and cause many people to lose their visa.

Does anyone have an idea of where this is going and what's next?

gnukid - 5-9-2010 at 12:15 AM

Lots of changes and amendments occurring daily apparently

http://www.dof.gob.mx/nota_detalle.php?codigo=5129775&fecha=29/01/2010

http://www.inm.gob.mx/SETRAM/SETRAM_WEB.pdf

[Edited on 5-9-2010 by gnukid]

gnukid - 5-9-2010 at 08:55 AM

Well I read all those docs and they PR about this, it says there are looking to make it easier in order to increase tax raising ability from foreigners in order to meet their budget while encountering reduced income from taxes of nationals during the crisis and reduced income from Petrol, though as always they are screwing up. Supposedly the entire goal is to make this all done via internet and allow more people to work and pay tax, though one can see the first step will cause most part time people to give up their FM3 visa and begin again and likely few of these will be renewed and instead they will get tourist visas. And it seems few Mex Gob people realize that most visitors are retirees who do not work nor does anyone want to work for $10-20/day in Mexico and pay taxes whereas they previously were paid $10-100/hour in the USA.

Please report your experiences, new costs and ask questions about how this translates for people seeking nationality from their years on FM-3 and FM-2 under constantly changing rules.

This post will last longer than: "TURTLE BUST"

Fred-o - 5-9-2010 at 04:06 PM

It's at 67 pages now, with thousands of "hits" I predict the NEW FM stories will go longer.

DianaT - 5-9-2010 at 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fred-o
It's at 67 pages now, with thousands of "hits" I predict the NEW FM stories will go longer.

Probably because it will be different for EVERYONE, even for those who renew at the same place. Seems that is the pattern that is developing. :yes:

[Edited on 5-9-2010 by DianaT]

fishingmako - 5-9-2010 at 06:50 PM

The Turtle Story involved (2) people, this is a bit different, because it involves many... many people with real concerns, and rightly so should have a close eye kept on it, that is what Baja Nomad's are all about helping people that help people.

Who cares how long it goes for, we all need to know new developments as they arise to the surface.

Riom - 5-9-2010 at 10:51 PM

I've updated my article on the replacement cards for FM-3 permits, including a picture:
http://bit.ly/aNGa38

Can anybody add detail of any practical experience, such as receiving a card?

I agree the purpose is probably to track residence duration (for tax), in the long run.

So the FMM form (which IS required to be filled in and returned by FM-3 and FM-2 holders, see the article) will eventually be needed at land borders, both inwards and outwards. Expect delays.

Rob

DianaT - 5-10-2010 at 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Riom
I've updated my article on the replacement cards for FM-3 permits, including a picture:
http://bit.ly/aNGa38

Can anybody add detail of any practical experience, such as receiving a card?

I agree the purpose is probably to track residence duration (for tax), in the long run.

So the FMM form (which IS required to be filled in and returned by FM-3 and FM-2 holders, see the article) will eventually be needed at land borders, both inwards and outwards. Expect delays.

Rob

Thanks for the article---many thanks.

The returning of the FMMs will be interesting, to say the least.

Question. I did not read if they expect one to enter and exit at the same crossing?

Thanks

Riom - 5-10-2010 at 11:19 AM

Quote:
Question. I did not read if they expect one to enter and exit at the same crossing?

No, one half is kept by the border where you enter - land, sea or air. Then the other half is retained at the exit border, again any land, sea or air border.

Common sense says it'll be a while before it'll be needed at land borders (there's no infrastructure) but since when did common sense have anything to do with the way these sorts of things are implemented....

There are reports of delays of up to 4 hours entering Mexico at some airports as the new form has more than tripled passenger processing times.

Rob

DianaT - 5-12-2010 at 07:42 PM

As we need to renew our FM3s at the end of June, we stopped at the immigration office in Guerrero Negro. She sort of wondered why we had renewed for the last couple of years with an agent in La Paz---we did not go into the reasons.

But we told her we knew the laws had changed and now we have to renew at the Guerrero Negro office and we wanted to make sure we had eveything when we came back. I had a file with what we needed before.

She said that it is all still rather confusing to everyone, including the immigration officers, but it should come together soon. Anyway, what she said we need are:

1. Our current FM3 books
2. Copies of our passports
3. A couple of months of utility bills
4. Bank statments for three months
5. Same application form we completed before---we saved the old form on our computers.
6. Application letter---she said we can just copy the ones we showed her with a new date
7. Two copies of the receipt for payment at the bank---she gave us the form to take to the bank---a little over 1200 pesos each
6. New photos in the smallest size, infantil---photos need to be in color with a white background. One needs to be a front view and the other one a profile. We did not ask how many copies, but we will have several.

She said that they have the cards there, but we will need to return to pick them up, but she will give us a travel paper to use before we pick up the final card. The other agent there did mention the FMM, but everyone agreed that is a very problematic thing at this time.

She told us that it did not need to be sent to La Paz for final approval as it was before. But we need to be renew in person==== No more third person renewals. Also, if it is not done on time, the penalty is approximately 800 pesos.

So now we will see how well it goes in June!

Hope everyone will continue to tell what they find out at their immigration office.

bajalinda - 5-15-2010 at 12:24 PM

Here is my first-hand account of a visit to the Migracion office in La Paz yesterday(Friday).

First, before you go to the Migracion office you need to go onto the internet at www.inm.gob.mx and print out the form that you need depending on your particular situation (renewal of FM-3 or FM-2, or change of activity etc...). It seems that this replaces the old "solicitud" form that we used to have to fill out with name, address, passport number, etc..

If you don't do this first, the agents at the office will give you the internet address and instruct you to go print out your form and then return to the office. (Fortunately I had heard about this from some friends, so saved myself at least one trip to the office.)

I presented myself at Migracion and asked if I had printed out the correct form for my particular situation. The agent looked over my form, smiled, and said (to her apparent relief and mine), "Yes, that is correct." Whew...successfully over the first hurdle.

Then I asked about what else I need to do to renew my FM-2 ( the internet was not very clear on this). This is when the agent took a large manual and started consulting with other agents about the other requirements. She came back with a photocopy of a page from the manual that applies to my situation.

In addition to the form printed from the internet, I need:
-my original FM-2 booklet
-the comprobante de pago de derechos (form that you get from the bank when you pay the fee)
-color photos for the new card, tamano infantil (that's the small "child" size photo), 3 full face and 2 profile
-a letter stating who I am, where I live, and what I do in Mexico (i.e.work or live off of personal income)
-if working, the ultimo comprobante de pago

The letter must be in Spanish and type-written. I was told it replaces the "comprobante de domicilio" (electric or water bill) requirement. You are basically declaring that you are who you are and you live at such and such an address.

Here is a description of the requirements for the letter in Spanish:
"Escrito bajo protesta de decir verdad en el que manifieste que subsisten las condiciones bajo las cuales le fue concedida la caracteristica migratoria, asi como manifestacion de las actividades que se encuentra realizando.

So this new letter requirement is going to be somewhat more involved than the old letter that just stated "my document number XXX is going to expire on such and such a date, I am hereby requesting a renewal."

No mention was made of copies of bank statements (and sorry, I spaced out asking about that). I am going to have them ready in any case - I find it kind of hard to believe that they won't ask for them. We'll see.

I cannot turn in any of this until May 24, which is one month before my document expires.

Hope this helps - will let you know how things progress.

msteve1014 - 5-15-2010 at 03:19 PM

Quote:

Rob

It sounds like they are going to charge FM-3 and FM-2 holders $22 each time you come into Mexico the same as FMT holders are doing now, and you get to stop at the border to fill out forms each time too.:no:

[Edited on 5-15-2010 by msteve1014]

Bob and jane - 5-15-2010 at 04:26 PM

Bajalinda,
I have gone through the INM site over and over. I get through a number of pages but have not found a form for RENEWING an FM2. I believe I have to get to the inmigrante page and have been there but none of the questions seem to have anything to do with renewing. Or is it just my Spanish? We're going in to the Loreto office in 2 weeks and would love to show up with the right form like you did. Did you fill it out online and then print it? I haven't seen any forms that I could print so far either.
I feel pretty stupid, but try to be a fast learner. (Though I've been working diligently on my Spanish for years and it is slow going)

Bajahowodd - 5-15-2010 at 04:47 PM

As usual, it's all about which way the wind is blowing. Just don't understand why Mexico is not more welcoming of US and Canadian citizens, because with very few exceptions, they bring needed dinero into the country.

Bob and jane - 5-15-2010 at 07:49 PM

morgaine,
well, I'd been there before, guess I just didn't trust my instincts. Thanks for the heads up. I filled it out and printed it. We shall see. Vamos a ver. I find that the more I worry ahead of time, the less there is to worry about.

shari - 5-16-2010 at 08:46 AM

We had an info meeting regarding the new changes with Alonso Lopez Lerma who is an agent from La Paz but does paperwork for people all over the state. The new changes are creating havoc and making it very difficult for people to renew their fm2&3's...before they could just pay their agent to do it. There is alot of confusion and lawyers, agents etc. are against the changes.
I asked if things might change for the better sometime soon...if this was a temporary situation and was told that...yes, things would probably take a turn for the better when Obama signed an immigration bill...hmmm...payback? sounds like the mexican government is applying pressures of it's own.

Alonso said agents can still assist people filling out the forms that are in spanish but yes you have to go personally to immigration for fingerprinting. So word to the wise...check your FM2&3's to see when they expire and plan a trip down a month before that so you can get it done on time...dont leave it till the last minute.
His email is alonsobaja@prodigy.net.mx if you have any questions.

DianaT - 5-16-2010 at 08:56 AM

Yes, it was so much easier when we just called Alonso!

But, very soon we are going to hit the Guerrero Negro office with all they told us they wanted using all the old forms with the new pictures---with the white background, and with all the new forms that the La Paz office told people they needed.

Morgaine7 Thanks for the link to the new form and the tips

This should be fun----:biggrin:

[Edited on 5-16-2010 by DianaT]

toneart - 5-16-2010 at 10:34 AM

As most of you already know, we will just have to deal with this as our documents expire, but expect more changes and confusion. That part is NOT new!

Each regional jurisdiction will have their own rules and requirements. Then they will change. Then they will be applied according the the individual agent's interpretation and mood of the day. (Nor is this part new!):no::yawn:

New info of FM renewal

Bronco - 5-16-2010 at 12:02 PM

May 15-2010

New changes at Mexican Immigration office in Ensenada BC , starting
May 01-2010 includes :

1- Old booklet will be replace to an alike driver license that will
Include a photo I.D.

2- Photos will have to be submit at time of filing renewal petition

3- Photos should be taken only at authorized and accepted photo shop in Ensenada BC by Mexican Immigration office.

4- When Renewal petition has been authorized by Mexican Immigration office,
petitioner has to show in person to thumbprint and sign new card.

5- All information will be sent directly to main office in Mexico City to have a
better data base of foreigners in Mexico .

6- Ensenada Mexican Immigration office has increase their personnel ( officers)
to upgrade their system on foreigners living in BAJA

All these means that time will be an important factor in this procedure.

1- Time frame for us to guide you to take you to the photo shop to take I.D. photos
2- Time frame for us to guide you to thumbprint and sign new card

Remember there is certain hours for each procedure at Mexican Immigration office,
Monday to Friday only.

Please schedule your time wisely as we will do the same thing.
It is important to have a good communication between you and our office, to be
able to accomplish procedure.

DianaT - 5-16-2010 at 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bronco
May 15-2010

3- Photos should be taken only at authorized and accepted photo shop in Ensenada BC by Mexican Immigration office.

Just for people using Guerrero Negro---photos can be taken at the San Martin pharmacy in town.

Cypress - 5-16-2010 at 01:08 PM

Bajawodd, Exactly!:yes: Sorta strange? Why would you make it hard for someone to come and spend money in your country?;D

Riom - 5-16-2010 at 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Why would you make it hard for someone to come and spend money in your country?;D

Although the FM3 process can seem a bit archaic, it's one of the simplest and cheapest residence permits of its type in the world, with the lowest requirements.

A non-resident buying a house in the USA or Canada is not allowed to live in it full time, period. Even if they are retired. Doesn't matter how much they pay (there are limited exceptions for those who want to start a business, although the paperwork - and costs - for those makes an FM-3 look like a library card application).

You would think the US and Canada would want people to "come and spend money in their country" but no, they don't. Same applies to most countries, not just western countries (for example, a visa similar to the FM3 for Malaysia requires a $3k monthly income plus assets). Most countries already have enough people, and don't want foreigners driving up house prices.

Rob

bajalinda - 5-16-2010 at 04:27 PM

Bob and Jane - sorry, haven't been online since yesterday, but Morgaine's info is exactly what I did. I have to add that I had the help of a Mexican friend and even with his help we had to start over 2 or 3 times before we finally got it right. Yes, you fill out the form online and then print it out.

I plan to do this myself without an agent. I used an agent the first couple of times that I renewed my FM-3 and then discovered that it really wasn't all that complicated and the whole procedure went more quickly when I did it myself - but I totally understand the convenience and the need to use an agent if you live far from an office.

My Spanish seems to have stalled out at a mediocre intermediate level, but I always start out speaking Spanish and if I really get stuck then ask to switch to English, am always super-polite and I have never had any problems with the agents at the La Paz office. Let's hope it continues that way!

durrelllrobert - 5-17-2010 at 08:44 AM

Quote:
Why would you make it hard for someone to come and spend money in your country?;D

Especially those of us that are trying to be here legally with the FM3/ FM2:?::?:

[Edited on 5-17-2010 by durrelllrobert]

LaTijereta - 5-17-2010 at 11:58 AM

I started the FM3 renewal paperwork here in Loreto last Tuesday 11th..
1. Filled out the form from their computer at the Loreto IMN office counter.
2. Came back with photos, paid copies of the bank statment. copy of front page of the US Passport, original FM3 booklet.
3. Everything was accepted and put into a new manilla folder

I was told that my new FM3 "photo card" should be ready for pick-up in 10 working days.. :cool:

DianaT - 5-17-2010 at 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LaTijereta
2. Came back with photos, paid copies of the bank statment. copy of front page of the US Passport, original FM3 booklet.

I was told that my new FM3 "photo card" should be ready for pick-up in 10 working days.. :cool:

They did not ask for a letter, utility bills and bank statements showing income??

Cypress - 5-17-2010 at 12:05 PM

Mexican lawyers in Baja have little opportunities other than milking the rico gringos from CA. It's easy money.:biggrin:

maspacifico - 5-18-2010 at 07:55 AM

Did the immigration office yesterday in Cabo. Renewal of FM3 and application for FM2. Morgaine has the right website and directions for the right form you will fill out but you might need to fill the form out in their office. There is a computer set up that links to their printer. Fill the form out, print it, go up to the window and pick it up. There will be a number on your app that they can retrieve at their computer. They give you forms to take to the bank and a form that goes with the pictures you get taken. Pay the bank, get your pictures, fill in the picture form and go back to the window. They do the stamping thing and tell you to check online with your app number to see when it's ready to be picked up. Same app for renewals or new status. Just let them know what you are trying to do when you start. I don't have the final results in hand but so far pretty simple. They did ask for bank statements and utility bills.....can't remember a letter though.

SDRonni - 5-19-2010 at 07:01 AM

Printed up this form to fill out. Does anyone know what the " CURP" box means? And when they are asking for your "Documento de identificacion," do they mean your US Passport # or your FM-3#?

DENNIS - 5-19-2010 at 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SDRonni
Printed up this form to fill out. Does anyone know what the " CURP" box means? And when they are asking for your "Documento de identificacion," do they mean your US Passport # or your FM-3#?

Don't know if this answers your question, but it's a start. You can find additional info at Google...."Mexican identification.....CURP."

http://tinyurl.com/272xghs

[Edited on 5-19-2010 by DENNIS]

LaTijereta - 5-19-2010 at 07:52 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by LaTijereta

They did not ask for a letter, utility bills and bank statements showing income??

I forgot to mention a simple "letter" in spanish asking to renewal your FM-3 (They provided a sample to copy).. "Bank statement" was only for showing proof of your payment of your FM3 fees at the bank.

There was no request for bank statements showing income or deposits in mexican banks or current utility bills.. "At this time"...

baja829 - 6-8-2010 at 12:30 PM

Just did my yesterday in San Felipe - quick and easy. Go to www.retirement-mexicomio.blogspot.com for info. Documentation, cost, etc. And yes, they want the Bank letter, but the interview questions require you state your monthly income as well.

wessongroup - 6-8-2010 at 12:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Although the FM3 process can seem a bit archaic, it's one of the simplest and cheapest residence permits of its type in the world, with the lowest requirements.

A non-resident buying a house in the USA or Canada is not allowed to live in it full time, period. Even if they are retired. Doesn't matter how much they pay (there are limited exceptions for those who want to start a business, although the paperwork - and costs - for those makes an FM-3 look like a library card application).

You would think the US and Canada would want people to "come and spend money in their country" but no, they don't. Same applies to most countries, not just western countries (for example, a visa similar to the FM3 for Malaysia requires a $3k monthly income plus assets). Most countries already have enough people, and don't want foreigners driving up house prices.

Rob

thank you

Cypress - 6-8-2010 at 12:58 PM

Riom, You're right.:biggrin:

DianaT - 6-8-2010 at 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by baja829
Just did my yesterday in San Felipe - quick and easy. Go to www.retirement-mexicomio.blogspot.com for info. Documentation, cost, etc. And yes, they want the Bank letter, but the interview questions require you state your monthly income as well.

Interesting site. However, the requirements he had there are not what our Guerrero Negro office requested----we are supposed to pick ours up at the end of the week or next week so we will see.

Once they have everything consistent from one office to the next, the process should be easy-----:biggrin:

MitchMan - 6-9-2010 at 08:36 AM

Just a few questions for absolute clarification.

Kate/Morgaine7: you previously gave a web address for the "form" that we need to complete: http://setram.inami.gob.mx:8080/solicitudes-web/estancia.htm... is this the same form that is used for renewal of an FM3 or is it specifically and only for an FM2? If this URL is only for FM2 renewal, what would be the URL for the FM3 renewal form?

Baja829: You mentioned a requirement for a letter from the bank necessary as part of the documents submitted for an FM3 renewal . Are you specifically referring only to a Mexican bank in Baja or any bank (including an American bank in the USA) that shows adequate deposits sufficient for the income requirements for the FM3? Also, what should this letter say, specifically?

BTW, the only instance of a Nomad saying that holders of FM2 and FM3 visas will also have to obtain and pay for the $22 USD FMM each and every time said holders will be entering Mexico is Riom by way of the URL to the article in San Felipe Life at http://bit.ly/aNGa38

Personally I do not think the holders of either an FM2 or FM3 will need to obtain an FMM for each entry to Mexico. Doesn't make sense to me to get two visas. It was a known fact that prior to 5/1/10, having an FM3 and an FMT simultaneously was anathema. Besides, when I asked the INM guy in La Paz about that specifically, he said an FMM was not at all required for an FM3 holder. Not that I believe any one Mexican official about anything until I hear several other first hand corroborations.

Also, I measured an infantil sized image and it is a portrait aspect ratio of 3cm x 2.5cm. This might be of interest for those of you who are able to provide your own photos. I am going to do my own and I will duplicate the portion of the head, neck and space around the head that is currently in my FM3 photo to the extent I can. Hope it passes.

[Edited on 6-9-2010 by MitchMan]

DianaT - 6-9-2010 at 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan
Just a few questions for absolute clarification.

Kate/Morgaine7: you previously gave a web address for the "form" that we need to complete: http://setram.inami.gob.mx:8080/solicitudes-web/estancia.htm... is this the same form that is used for renewal of an FM3 or is it specifically and only for an FM2? If this URL is only for FM2 renewal, what would be the URL for the FM3 renewal form?

Baja829: You mentioned a requirement for a letter from the bank necessary as part of the documents submitted for an FM3 renewal . Are you specifically referring only to a Mexican bank in Baja or any bank (including an American bank in the USA) that shows adequate deposits sufficient for the income requirements for the FM3? Also, what should this letter say, specifically?

BTW, the only instance of a Nomad saying that holders of FM2 and FM3 visas will also have to obtain and pay for the $22 USD FMM each and every time said holders will be entering Mexico is Riom by way of the URL to the article in San Felipe Life at http://bit.ly/aNGa38

Personally I do not think the holders of either an FM2 or FM3 will need to obtain an FMM for each entry to Mexico. Doesn't make sense to me to get two visas. It was a known fact that prior to 5/1/10, having an FM3 and an FMT simultaneously was anathema. Besides, when I asked the INM guy in La Paz about that specifically, he said an FMM was not at all required for an FM3 holder. Not that I believe any one Mexican official about anything until I hear several other first hand corroborations.

Also, I measured an infantil sized image and it is a portrait aspect ratio of 3cm x 2.5cm. This might be of interest for those of you who are able to provide your own photos. I am going to do my own and I will duplicate the portion of the head, neck and space around the head that is currently in my FM3 photo to the extent I can. Hope it passes.

[Edited on 6-9-2010 by MitchMan]

The link to the form---used it also for our FM3 and told it was the correct one.

Photos, be sure to see if your office wants black and white or color---seems to be different at different offices.

FMM---one of the immigration ladies at the GN office said that yes, in the future that is the intention, but they also said they are still figuring everything out.

MitchMan - 6-9-2010 at 09:05 AM

DianeT: another Scottish proverb I saw commonly at Scottish fairs in OC: "If it's na' Scot, it's crap."

Riom - 6-9-2010 at 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan

I do say there that the fee is NOT like to apply to FM2/3 holders. What seems to be happening in practice (by air) is that FM3 holders get the FMM form when they exit (in other words, it's to record the time out of Mexico, rather than time in). For those that have received the FMM form when flying (originating in Mexico), there is no fee charged is there?

And by land, as usual, the "rules" don't apply yet or are not enforced.

The FMM form is not a visa. For tourists, it's an entry permit showing the time permitted in the country (identical to a US I-94). For temporary residents (FM2), provisional residents (FM2) and immigrants it appears to just be being used to track their movements (probably mainly for tax).

And again, this doesn't seem to be happening at land borders, yet. Still, as I wrote in the FMT thread: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=46105#pid5208... - this is strongly based on the US I-94 form (which is a real nuisance at land borders) and just because it's impractical to enforce or use that doesn't mean it's not required.

It's daft when other areas of the world are moving towards more open borders that BOTH the US and Mexico are making their paper-based systems even more complex (causing loss of income in both countries by discouraging trade and tourism).

Rob