Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: New Immigration Rules?
nobaddays
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2010 at 01:52 PM
New Immigration Rules?

Anyone have any first had experience with the new rules?
grace59
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2010 at 06:45 PM

Sorry, not yet. We renew our FM3s in July. My understanding from the woman who helps us with our paperwork in San Felipe is that you must now be in Mexico at your time of renewal and take the paperwork to immigration yourself. Turn around time is suppose to be short as they are doing away with the FM3 books and issuing an ID card of some type. I think all other requirements remain the same....also heard that consulates in the US will no longer be able to issue FM2s or 3s. I will post our experiences when we go down to renew.

Whenever I hear that rainy, chill wind blow. I think it may be time to head for Mexico. Tengo que obedecer mi corazon!
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 5-5-2010 at 01:31 AM

Fishbuck wrote to say:

"I just renewed mine in Ensenada. It expired May 1. I used Blanca and it was the same as last year. No change. I dropped it off April 12 and Blanca emailed me today saying it's ready."

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 5-5-2010 at 04:45 AM

but there it is...

he renewed in april:light:

the changes are in may

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2010 at 08:33 AM

Are the new rules posted anywhere?

In Memory of E-57
grace59
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2010 at 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
Are the new rules posted anywhere?

This is the email that I got from the woman who handles my immigation: "NEW IMMIGRATION RUGULATIONS

BASICALLY THE NEW CHANGES ISSUED FROM IMMIGRATION ARE THAT THE INDIVIDUAL MUST BE PRESENT TO SUBMIT THEIR FORMS AND DOCUMENTATION. IT IS NO LONGER ACCEPTABLE FOR ANOTHER INDIVIDUAL TO SUBMIT THE FORM FOR YOU.

IMMIGRATION WILL DO AWAY WITH THE FM BOOK AND ISSUE AN OFFICAL FM IDENTIFICATION CARD. THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT THIS SHOULD SPEED UP THE PROCESS AND YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO RECEIVE YOUR NEW FM IDENTIFICATION CARD WITHIN 24 WORKING HOURS.
THE IMMIGRATION OFFICE WILL OPEN TO RECEIVE AND ISSUE FM CARD FROM 9:00 AM TO 1:00 PM MONDAY TO FRIDAY EXCLUDING ANY HOLIDAYS.

ALL THE DOCUMENTATION THAT WAS REQUIRED BEFORE WILL STILL BE NECESSARY TO SUBMIT WITH YOUR NEW APPLICATION (COPIES OF YOUR PASSPORT, PROOF OF PAYMENT FOR GOVERNMENT FEES, BANK LETTER SHOWING ACCOUNT DEPOSIT, PROOF OF ADDRESS IN MEXICO AND PHOTOGRAPHS). YOUR CURRENT EXPIRATION DATE IS STILL VALID AND YOU WILL BE ABLE TO SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION UP TO THIRTY DAYS AHEAD OF THE EXPIRATION DATE."
The office hours are for immigration in San Felipe. I don't know if this is a universal time across Mexico.

Whenever I hear that rainy, chill wind blow. I think it may be time to head for Mexico. Tengo que obedecer mi corazon!
k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2010 at 05:18 PM

I'm wondering what the income requirements for a new FM-3 are and the documentation necessary to prove you meet the requirements.

Also what the deal is if you do not have an income but you have a few bucks in the bank that you withdraw when needed.

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2010 at 05:40 PM

In San Felipe you only have had to show money in the bank, not income.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2010 at 06:44 PM

I am trying to find the new rules posted somewhere. We may go the Guerrero Negro next week and ask because the information we received from our agent is different.

He said we no longer needed the proof of residency---electric bill, etc., nor the bank statements but we did need a letter. As of yet, he has not clarified what that letter is.

He said that we have to go to Guerrero Negro to be fingerprinted and sign papers and then it is done by internet.

Still quite confused and our FM3s expire in June.

Maybe we will have more information next week, but of course what we are told at Guerrero Negro, may be different?????

Liked doing it the old way.

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 5-6-2010 at 09:10 PM

Well, this is what happened to me and Jill:
We have FM2s (first renewal) that expired on April 20th. We planned to be here to renew the first of April but a medical necessity kept us from traveling South. I drove down last week with both of our FM2s to get them renewed knowing that I would have to pay an 800 peso (each) fine but assuming that I could get them both done....wrong. New rules, must be here in person. I can do mine but not Jill's and she can't travel down here for at least 10 weeks, she can't come down at all because immigration now has her (and my) FM2. I need to get back to San Diego ASAP but it will be at least 10 days (probably more like a month) to get my renewed FM2. I can't stay that long, I need to go. I asked about a "paper" that we have gotten in the past so that we can travel while our FMs are being renewed and was told that the new rules don't allow that any more.

So, here is the solution: Tomorrow my agent is going to request that immigration cancel our FM2s and issue me a "paper" that states such so that I can legally leave the country (as I no longer have my FM). I can probably have that by Monday afternoon. He indicated that Jill's FM2 would be cancelled after it was 30 days past expiration anyway so we can come back whenever we want, getting an fmt at the border (like the old days) since we no longer have immigrant status and re-apply for our FM2's (after paying our 1600 peso fine). We will lose the year that we had our FM2's toward the time needed to apply for citizenship.

I've got a bad feeling about this......wonder why....dt

[Edited on 5-7-2010 by dtbushpilot]

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2010 at 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Fishbuck wrote to say:

"I just renewed mine in Ensenada. It expired May 1. I used Blanca and it was the same as last year. No change. I dropped it off April 12 and Blanca emailed me today saying it's ready."

Who is Fisbuck:?:

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2010 at 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
Well, this is what happened to me and Jill:
We have FM2s (first renewal) that expired on April 20th. We planned to be here to renew the first of April but a medical necessity kept us from traveling South. I drove down last week with both of our FM2s to get them renewed knowing that I would have to pay an 800 peso (each) fine but assuming that I could get them both done....wrong. New rules, must be here in person. I can do mine but not Jill's and she can't travel down here for at least 10 weeks, she can't come down at all because immigration now has her (and my) FM2. I need to get back to San Diego ASAP but it will be at least 10 days (probably more like a month) to get my renewed FM2. I can't stay that long, I need to go. I asked about a "paper" that we have gotten in the past so that we can travel while our FMs are being renewed and was told that the new rules don't allow that any more.

So, here is the solution: Tomorrow my agent is going to request that immigration cancel our FM2s and issue me a "paper" that states such so that I can legally leave the country (as I no longer have my FM). I can probably have that by Monday afternoon. He indicated that Jill's FM2 would be cancelled after it was 30 days past expiration anyway so we can come back whenever we want, getting an fmt at the border (like the old days) since we no longer have immigrant status and re-apply for our FM2's (after paying our 1600 peso fine). We will lose the year that we had our FM2's toward the time needed to apply for citizenship.

I've got a bad feeling about this......wonder why....dt

[Edited on 5-7-2010 by dtbushpilot]

This is not sounding good. We hoped to leave our FM3s and pick them up on our way back down---but if they are not issuing the travel paper any more, that is not good.

Since we are not looking toward getting an FM2, maybe we will just get a new FM3 in San Diego----I hope that is still a possibility.

Before they told us in San Diego that we could get new FM3s every year if we did not want to work toward an FM2---

Thanks for the info---

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2010 at 09:25 PM

Good luck with that diana....dt

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 5-6-2010 at 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
but there it is...

he renewed in april:light:

the changes are in may

Fishbuck follow-up:
---------------------------------
My email to Blanca May 5:

Hi Blanca!

There is talk on BajaNomad that effective May 1 that there are new FM3 renewal rules. Do the new rules prevent the use of an agent and require the FM3 holder to renew in person at the immigration office?
Thank you

Mike

Email from Blanca May 6:

Hi Michael, for now all things are almost the same, I am able to take documents but people must come to pick up the document because the card must be signed. For you the change to the card is going to be until next year and we have to wait because Immigration change things all the time. Blanca M.
---------------------------------

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 5-7-2010 at 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Fishbuck wrote to say:

Who is Fisbuck:?:

Former Nomad, now a lurker.

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2010 at 07:29 AM

Lurker?......for a minute there I thought you meant "lunker" but then again maybe you did mean lurker:lol::lol::lol:....dt

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2010 at 07:50 AM

From all the information so far, it sounds like no one, including the immigration offices know what is happening.

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2010 at 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
From all the information so far, it sounds like no one, including the immigration offices know what is happening.

That's the impression that I get too, the rules are a moving target as usual. Hopefully they will get it worked out in a few months....dt

danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 5-7-2010 at 08:25 AM

Diane - I found this on sanfelipe.com:

FM-3 and FM-2 visas will no longer be available from consulates outside Mexico. Instead, if you apply there, you will get a sticker in your passport. With that, you apply for an FMM when you enter Mexico, then have 30 days to "exchange" it for an FM-3 or FM-2 in your town of residence. So for most it generally still makes more sense to not bother with consulates and apply once you arrive.
FM-3 income amounts maybe changing

To get an FM-3, the rules (still) state you must show an income from sources outside Mexico of 250 times the daily minimum wage in Mexico city, which for 2010 is 57.46 pesos. So that's a monthly income of 14,265 pesos (around $1100). Add half as much again for each dependent.

Previously, you only needed half this amount if you owned (or rented) property in Mexico. From May 2010, this may change. The law new immigration manual rules state there is now NO REDUCTION in the income requirements for an FM-3 if you own a house. In other words, a single person who owns a property must now show an income of around $1100 a month, up from $550. A significant change for those on a low pension, if it is enforced.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-7-2010 at 08:33 AM

I'm not sure this will help but when I got my FM3, I didnt have to show an income....I just had to show a bank statement that proved I had money...probably the equivalent to what the yearly income requirements were. Obviously if I lived in mexico, and didnt have a pension, I had no income. They were OK just proving I had money in the bank so I wouldnt be a burden to mexico.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.