BajaNomad

Spring vacation Bahia El Coyote

geomike - 5-20-2010 at 12:03 AM

Hi all, we had a great spring vacation in Mulege in mid April and wanted to share some pictures and the story. We also want to thank all the Nomads who gave advice and encouragement for the trip.

We got a late start from Campland in San Diego and arrived at Tecate around 11:30 am on April 14th. It took about an hour to get through all of the immigration stuff but we had all sorts of help from the officials at the border. Help getting the rig parked, help finding the bank, help inside the bank, help with translation, we even got help from the Shoe Shine Man on the corner and I was wearing sneakers! Really not a bad experience just a little stressful the first time. We nearly got wedged making the right hand turn onto the #3 highway but this car would move up a bit and that car would move back a bit, a bystander would watch the corner of the trailer and off we went! The road to Ensenada was fine, a little crooked and hilly but not too different from highway 94 on the US side. We made it through Ensenada but got a little off the track at a detour and wound up in a pretty dodgy neighborhood a few odd looks from the locals but we made it back to #1 highway fine.

Its getting late and we still want to make it to San Quintin so we press on. The topas are taking a toll on my sense of humour by now. We get lost again trying to find Celito Lindo RV camp. Parked in an arroyo on the old highway a van stops and asks in perfect English if we need help. I reply thankfully that we are looking for Celito Lindo and as luck would have it he is the Manager! We get some fresh directions and off we go dragging the rig through the recently washed out and quite sandy river bed. I’m pretty sure we will get this thing buried but we make it through. A couple of more wrong turns and we make it to Celito Lindo. The bar is occupied by 5 Norte Americanos and they are all blazing drunk. Great, I really don’t have a lot of patients left for foul mouthed drunks when here I am stone sober and tired! I get a spot for the night and park the rig. I pour myself a Martini, lock the door and ponder the obvious question, what have I done.

My wife is at about Def-Con 3 no thanks to my brother-in-law who thought it would be helpful to e-mail an article about a Canadian couple who had their RV hijacked on the Mainland last week. That in addition to the Calgary man who was shot in Mazatlan earlier in the spring when he opened the door of his RV after dark. And no thanks to our respective State departments (Canada and the US) that suggest caution while traveling in Mexico and include such asinine advice as “don’t stand on balconies cause you could fall off”.

So far this isn’t much fun. I think about all of the advice the Nomads gave:
#1 Get a good early start and if possible get your FMT the day before you drive.
#2 Travel with somebody who knows the routine and can at the very least provide some moral support.

Hmm …

After a good nights sleep (for me anyway, our Security Officer wasn’t so restful) I have a walk around in the daylight. Celito Lindo isn’t all that bad! Big sites, quiet with nothing but the cooing of doves in the trees and fresh Pacific Ocean air. Cleared out from the drunks from the night before and I bet that little restaurant and bar could serve up a mean breakfast!

Things always look better in the light of a new day and we decide to push on to Guerrero Negro. We find a beautiful drive. Nicely farmed berry fields in San Quintin and vegetable fields of El Rosario give way to the Boojums and boulders of Catavina.

We stop for lunch at Rancho Santa Inez. A nice rest and I feast on the Tacos Dorado.. It is my first taste of Baja and it is terrific! We chat with an old hippie who has been coming to Baja for 40 years and winters in the East Cape. He is interested in the road construction on the #3 and I assure him that there is at least the base coat of pavement all the way now. I feel good about the chance to help someone and I eagerly soak up all of the stories he has about his Baja experiences. He’s never had a problem in 40 years and that brightens Fay’s day a little.

We are off to the Malarrimo Hotel and RV Park in Guerrero Negro and pass through some awesome country on the way. We had enjoyed Joshua Tree National Park and Organ Pipe Cactus monument on previous trips but Baja blows them away! I can’t imagine the environmental influences that could result in this much growth. The Cardon, the Boojum, the Joshua trees are all immense!

We dine at the restaurant in the hotel and the food is excellent. I highly recommend the scallops (Mulege style I think it was). The hotel has WiFi so we check in with family back home. In the morning we take care of some banking and do a little grocery shop. We get a late start for San Ignacio but once we are on the road, decide that we can make Mulege before dark so we go for it.

I’m getting used to the narrow roads and near misses now and it doesn’t seem all that bad. I do wish that I hadn’t flipped out my trailer mirrors though! We slide on down the big grade before Santa Rosalia with out any trouble. The truck has an exhaust brake so I put it in 4th and cruise on down. Now I’m having fun.

We make it to Villa Maria Isabel RV park at Mulege and set up camp. The park is nice and open with reasonably big sites. If it were busy it might get tight for the slide-outs but we have the place to ourselves. The kids and I go for a walk but soon discover that something is making the red dirt stick to everything. Shoes, dog feet, carpets, everything soon has red dirt stuck to it! I suspect it is calcium chloride put down to control the dust, anyway it is a bugger to clean it up! The Security Officer is still on high alert but at least she is enjoying the warmer weather here away from the cold Pacific side. I have another great sleep, the Security Officer sleeps in after her night shift!

It was our (well… my) dream to camp on the beach so we make an excursion in the truck to see if any others are camped there. The road along the coast south of Mulege is breathtaking and the vista above Santispac Beach is un-real. Azure blue bay with sailboats at anchor and a beautiful strip of sandy beach it is so idyllic. We pay the man at the gate a nominal fee and head straight for the water. It’s so warm, so gentle, barely a wave so different from the high energy Pacific coast. Almost immediately the beach vendors are there. Fay is in heaven now and soon makes friends with Sebastian and his wife. Hats, blankets, jewelry, you name it. She has him unload the whole truck. I shake my head. Fay and Devynn love a market and here the market comes to you! Ethan and I splash around and we probably spend two hours at Santispac. There are a couple of other campers here. We chat with a couple from B.C it’s their first trip too. Another couple is from San Diego and has been coming to Baja for 25 year surfing and exploring. There is also a pair of backpackers who have hitchhiked all the way from Seattle, now that is traveling!

The Security officer has deemed that because we won’t be alone it is OK to move the rig and camp at the beach tonight. I am ecstatic. We throw the beach toys in the truck and head down to scout the El Coyote beach entrance. We find the entrance a little steep but doable, and the trail along high tide is a little tight but no problem. Best of all the spot under that ruddy palm tree is available! We head back to get the trailer.

On the drive to El Coyote we experience a total turnaround point in our Holiday. I had rushed through the pack up and left the kids toys in the box of the pickup. Well our 5’er generates a lot of vacuum when its hooked up on the road and apparently we lost a pink basketball out the back. We discover this when an 18 wheeler passes us and out the passenger widow the guy is holding my daughters pink ball! I cringe, did she see it? Daddy is that my ball? Rats! Umm yes dear, I guess I should have packed it better. We can get a new one when we get back. Pretty much giving my best stall and redirect routine! Well, about 5 miles down the road there is a truck parked at one of the few pull outs along this section. In the middle of the highway are a couple of guys bouncing a ball and flagging us down. My wife and I are gobsmacked. These men stopped an 18 wheeler on that crooked hilly road…twice…in order to return a $6 Wal-Mart ball. Your ninos? He asks. Those men would have spent more in fuel stopping and starting that rig then the ball was worth in the first place. Fay and I look at each other knowing this would never happen up north. I offer money but they refuse (I hope now that I didn’t offend them). From that point forth the Security Officer (and me) stands down!

We get the rig parked easily and start to soak up paradise. There are no words that can describe how relaxing this place is. The Tamale Lady brings breakfast, the vendors bring souvenirs for everybody back home, the Scallop Man brings supper. How can you beat this? It’s Saturday night and some of the local 20 somethings are camped next to us. Back home this might be a recipe for raucous party and sleepless night. Here the kids are way more respectful. I lend them an axe when I see them struggling with the firewood and shortly a plate of ceviche appears with crackers on the side. Man these people eat well! At dusk the volume is turned way down, softer music is played, we love it and ask for the name of the group (Grupo Elefante, we got our copy on Amazon!) they turn it up a little so we can hear. Campfires flicker, the sea laps gently and this beautiful Latin rhythm wavers along a gentle cooling breeze.

The kids make friends on the beach. Play is a universal language it seems and they spend all day up and down the beach. The other parents watch our kids like they were their own and we do the same.

Relaxing in the shade of a palm tree 10 feet from high tide what a place! Except for one daft woodpecker we had the ideal spot. Every morning a few moments before dawn this ridiculous animal would come. Some of you may not be familiar with the finer points of RV construction. Let me assure you, if you are ever so unlucky to have a daft woodpecker mistake your rear window or worse, aluminum ladder, for a tree then you will be the first to know. The reverberation that this ruddy bird could introduce to my trailer was nothing short of earsplitting! Alright you misery, I was going to get up anyway.

Of course waking up to a Coyote bay sunrise isn’t so much of a hardship! Heck even looking up Pompano’s sunrise pictures over the internet is something to get up for! Each morning a Blue Heron would fish the shallows near the sea-weed line. From the earliest gray of dawn to the moment the sun cracked the rocks and flooded into our corner of the cove he would be there. So at least that simple woodpecker and I weren’t the only ones out and about.

We spent 5 glorious restful days and nights at that spot. A day trip to Loreto to sight see and a day trip to Mulege for a re-supply and some e-mail. On our last day we run into Pompano and Co Pilot out on a hike and have a quick visit. We have to turn down an invitation to the beach house in order to get packed up to leave in the morning. I hope we can have a rain-cheque on that invite Pomp, I would love to learn some more about this country and hear some of your experiences in it!

Our return trip was uneventful except we couldn’t find all of the dreadful slums that we had driven through on the way down. It seems that some change had occurred while we were south and we felt none of the apprehension of that first couple of days! We had another excellent meal at the Malarrimo Restaurant in Guerrero Negro as well as at the Motel Sinai in El Rosario. The El Rosario to Tecate to San Diego run was a much better choice. We were up early this time and on the road around 8 am. The boys at the military checks wanted to see inside the rig and were thorough enough to detect an obscenely large stash of drugs…not on me mind you, but the pictures they had taken of some of their bigger busts were incredible! Is that really a picture of a gold plated Uzi… are you freaking kidding me? If there really is that volume of drugs and weaponry on the road those young boys are a bunch cooler about their job than I would be if it were me doing the inspection! The border took about an hour including secondary inspection where we donated a dozen eggs and some sandwich meat. Back to Campland by supper time and some preparation for the next adventure the Mexican 1000!

Thanks again Nomads for helping making this holiday a great success and thank you Baja for…well, you know…everything.

Barbareno - 5-20-2010 at 05:20 AM

Fantastic trip report Geomike. Brought tears to my eyes. You had me believing I was there with you guys. That first picture where you are parked at Celito Lindo, beside you is a red Bronco. Looks just like mine. But I am up here in BC. What's up with all the Bronco's lately?

Thanks!

[Edited on 5-20-2010 by Barbareno]

dean miller - 5-20-2010 at 05:33 AM

Very good concise report; great pictures!

Enjoyed it!

sdm

mulegemichael - 5-20-2010 at 05:36 AM

good stuff, mike....we'll be there tomorrow so i relate.

Pompano - 5-20-2010 at 06:25 AM

Hi Mike, I just had a ball reading about your trip while having my coffee here in Coyote Bay. Bravo!.. that was one fine report and will help tremendously to bring into public view how Baja is in reality..and the people.

Don'tcha just love guys like those two truckers who recovered your daughter's ball? These kind of Baja folks..and a few thousand like them.. truly make your day. We know that joy.

It was good to meet you on the camper's road, a walk we take often..down to your palm tree and back. Here's what the camping beach looks like today. Nothing has changed since you left.

(if this pic is too wide for anyone, please let me know..I can reduce.)

Mike,
We're glad to hear your trip north was so pleasant. Now that you're a Baja-vet and know the way to our beach..remember...mi casa es su casa.

Saludos y Hasta Pronto.

[Edited on 5-20-2010 by Pompano]

shari - 5-20-2010 at 06:44 AM

What a terrific report...it is always fun to read the stories from a "baja virgin" especially from the point of view from saskatchewaners!!
Excellent anecdotes...I LOVED the image you conjured up of the trucker bouncing the pink ball...which is why most of us are in love with baja.

Your next trip will be even better....make sure you take Pomp up on his offer.

On a side note...man oh man...your kids look soooooo like the kids from the missing family....I had to find the poster to take another look...kinda spooky.

[Edited on 5-20-2010 by shari]

TMW - 5-20-2010 at 08:12 AM

It was a beautiful report and the pictures were too. Thanks. I assume the Security Officer was in the last picture giving an OK for a trip well done and safe to go home.

Natalie Ann - 5-20-2010 at 08:31 AM

Outstanding trip report. Thank you!

nena

tripledigitken - 5-20-2010 at 09:03 AM

Really enjoyed your report. Felt like I was right there.

How tough of a time did you have getting your 5th wheel across at Tecate, as I drive through there it looks pretty narrow for RV's?

Ken

David K - 5-20-2010 at 09:19 AM

Thank you GeoMike for a wonderful trip report!

It sounds like you have discoverded 'THE BAJA FEELING'!

I bet you come back down for more!!!???:light::cool::bounce:

Bob H - 5-20-2010 at 10:09 AM

Absolutely loved your trip report and photos. You landed in our most favorite camping spot in all of Baja, under those palm trees!
Bob H

Bahia Coyote - our favorite spot!

My wife having a beer break - Bahia Coyote

[Edited on 5-20-2010 by Bob H]

noproblemo2 - 5-20-2010 at 10:25 AM

GeoMike, you really brought back some wonderful memories, I think it's about time to head further south again. That has always been our favorite area....

willyAirstream - 5-20-2010 at 11:12 AM

Thanks for the terrific report Mike!

Cypress - 5-20-2010 at 12:13 PM

geomike, Thanks for sharing your family's vacation. :D

vandenberg - 5-20-2010 at 01:07 PM

Geomike,
Great report.
Lot of us that make baja home for any length of time, need a report like this, to remind us of the wonderful choice we made to live among these wonders of nature and wonderful Mexican people that call our peninsula home. It's easy to start taking it for granted. Thanks!!

bajaboolie - 5-20-2010 at 02:14 PM

Geomike, love the pictures, looks like you had a great time. It's as beautiful as ever, and can't wait until our October trip! Thanks for sharing.

BobH., by the looks of the smooth water and shadow placement on the island behind, your wife takes a mighty early beer break! ;)

dean miller - 5-20-2010 at 03:32 PM

Geo Mike,

The large rust colored home high on the hill over looking Coyote & Burro and point North and South was built by my cousin the late Bob Jacobs...What a view! What a way to live! Sadly the place he departed this earth...I just can't believe that heaven is any more beautiful than the view he enjoyed so many years...

Next trip down south ask Pompano about "Crazy" Jake Jacobs...Jake was one of a kind....

sdm

DianaT - 5-20-2010 at 04:50 PM

Quote:

It seems that some change had occurred while we were south and we felt none of the apprehension of that first couple of days!

Oh that so reminds me of my first trip to the mainland---John had traveling there for years, but it was my first trip----

Loved your trip report and really glad you had such a good time.

Thanks for sharing.

Diana

Bob H - 5-20-2010 at 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaboolie
BobH., by the looks of the smooth water and shadow placement on the island behind, your wife takes a mighty early beer break! ;)

:spingrin::lol:
Don't remember what time it was, but I know it was after a morning kayking loop around the bay. It stayed smooth for most of the day. We always have a great time in that area of Baja every time we go.

Only one time we had to leave because of those little noseeums attacking our ankles... Bob H

wessongroup - 5-20-2010 at 07:16 PM

Thanks so much for all.... great trip... really great photo's and write up... super... :):)

noproblemo2 - 5-20-2010 at 07:17 PM

Quote:

Well as the song goes, "It's five o'clock somewhere" !!!!!:lol:

rpleger - 5-20-2010 at 07:44 PM

Great report...thank you very much....what you say about the people of Baja is so true...spent 12 years there myself and I don't know why I ever left?

noproblemo2 - 5-20-2010 at 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
What a terrific report...it is always fun to read the stories from a "baja virgin" especially from the point of view from saskatchewaners!!
Excellent anecdotes...I LOVED the image you conjured up of the trucker bouncing the pink ball...which is why most of us are in love with baja.

On a side note...man oh man...your kids look soooooo like the kids from the missing family....I had to find the poster to take another look...kinda spooky.

Would be a super spot for a big get-together in the fall, with BIG peacepipes of course!!!!

geomike - 5-20-2010 at 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
It was a beautiful report and the pictures were too. Thanks. I assume the Security Officer was in the last picture giving an OK for a trip well done and safe to go home.

Yep thats her! nearly 10 years now thick and thin! and thankfully she can't wait to get back to Baja either! I won't have to be nearly as subversive and conniving to get her to go next time!

Mike

noproblemo2 - 5-20-2010 at 08:24 PM

Mike, always great to hear of another success regarding our Baja, keep spreading the word and thanks again for the memories...

geomike - 5-20-2010 at 08:25 PM

Quote:
Mike,
We're glad to hear your trip north was so pleasant. Now that you're a Baja-vet and know the way to our beach..remember...mi casa es su casa.

Saludos y Hasta Pronto.

[Edited on 5-20-2010 by Pompano]

Thank you Roger you can count on it.

Stay well in the meantime and please keep up the photo tours and sunrise reports!

Mike

geomike - 5-20-2010 at 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari

Thanks Shari, unfortunately we missed out on the whale watching but next go round the kids will both be a bit older and it will make great show and tell stuff for their classroom back home.

Now you have me looking for that poster too! I can assure you however that these ones are mine! I grew 'em and I'm keep'n 'em!

I understand congratulations are in order in your family! so congratulations and enjoy! I can't imagine a better place in the word to be a part of raising a family.

Mike

geomike - 5-20-2010 at 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Really enjoyed your report. Felt like I was right there.

How tough of a time did you have getting your 5th wheel across at Tecate, as I drive through there it looks pretty narrow for RV's?

Ken

Hi Ken, Tecate was pretty easy going South. The streets are narrow though as you probably know. The Border guys had us head south down the hill and go around the block to the right so that we came back on the alley right beside the immigration offices so we could pick up the FMT forms. They even moved a bunch of traffic cones around us! We were parked essentially in the middle of the alley! Nobody worried it!

Once we got all the FMT paper properly chased we then had to turn right again and head down the hill to get on highway #3. That was a tight corner because and old gent had parked right in the wrong spot! He soon saw it and moved up right away.

Coming back north at Tecate there is a big detour that winds the traffic to the east and then back west along the fence up to the Gates. Make sure you take the wide option and stay in the left hand lane. Its tight once you get through customs and have to go to secondary inspection you gotta swing way wide but there is room.

Our trailer is 30' long. I don't know how much longer of a unit you could squeeze through there. Hopefully I'll find out we would like to get a bigger unit with bunks for the kids!

After having done it once I really feel bold now. Mostly because nobody gets their nickers in a knot if you do get wedged!

They all just set about helping you! It happened to me as i said making the right hand turn onto #3 in Tecate and it happened to my buddy Clint who got his 30' gooseneck sideways across 5 lanes at Mexicali! Now in fairness Clint is fluent in Spanish and spent a bunch of time working in Mexico so he wasn't rattled at all. Me, probably a different ending!

Good luck and safe travels!
Mike

geomike - 5-20-2010 at 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by noproblemo2
Quote:

Well as the song goes, "It's five o'clock somewhere" !!!!!:lol:

I have a favourite T-shirt with that saying on it! And no better place in the world for an early beer break in my short experience!

Cheers!

BAJACAT - 5-22-2010 at 09:19 AM

geomike great report, I wish I could write like that,enjoy the pix and the story telling i was there(coyote bay) in March had agreat time. thank you for sharing your story with us...
BIG RED IN PLAYA COYOTE IN MARCH..

Steve&Debby - 5-25-2010 at 07:49 PM

Great report,I love the part about the truck drivers stopping to get your kids ball,then stopping in the middle of the road to give it back.
Three years ago we were about 10 miles south of El Rosario and had a flat tire and a bent axle on our trailer. We counted 9 cars go by with US and Candian plates,not one stopped,the first truck that came by stopped and helped us get back on the road and would not accept anything for his help.
We limped back to El Rosario to the Yellow tire shop.They fixed what they could and took the axle to the machie shop the following day and straightened it. We were off and running again.
This all happened on Christmas eve and Christmas day!!!!
The people of Baja are great.

luckyman - 5-25-2010 at 09:25 PM

thanks for the excellent trip report and photos. i love the part about the drivers and the pink ball...that was just what the security officer needed!
thanks for posting.

Brian L - 6-23-2010 at 03:52 PM

That is a great report! I think I have settled on going to Playa Coyote. Seems like the perfect, calm, relaxing sort of place.

I am going to forward this report to my wife, the local Security Guard. She will have no qualms left about going down with the kids. Pre-kids, we used to camp near Ensenada and near San Felipe all the time. Having kids has changed our perspective, more so with the few stories of hijacking...I know, it is WAY blown out of proportion!

Thanks again!

security - 7-28-2010 at 09:14 PM

Hi everyone, I am geomike's "security guard". he has encapsulated exactly what I was feeling the entire trip. "defcon 3" to start out and then pure enjoyment and relaxation!! I could not have said it better when he said "thanks Baja for well ... you know... everything!!

We have already decided to go again in the spring!

Fay

[Edited on 7-29-2010 by security]

security - 7-28-2010 at 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by blane
That is a great report! I think I have settled on going to Playa Coyote. Seems like the perfect, calm, relaxing sort of place.

I am going to forward this report to my wife, the local Security Guard. She will have no qualms left about going down with the kids. Pre-kids, we used to camp near Ensenada and near San Felipe all the time. Having kids has changed our perspective, more so with the few stories of hijacking...I know, it is WAY blown out of proportion!

Thanks again!

Blane, Our kids are very young - as you can see in the pics! They just loved it! Our son snorkeled with Mike just off the beach and saw stingrays and an octopus - he was elated! Our daughter found a live starfish 15 feet from the door of our trailer.. that blew the doors off seaworld cause to her the starfish was in the wild not a tank! I too was apprehensive like your security guard but when it was so easy to absorb the Baja culture and attitude, it does not take long to adapt. I hope you have a great time when you go and can't wait to hear about it!

David K - 7-29-2010 at 08:25 AM

Welcome to Nomad Fay!

security - 7-29-2010 at 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Welcome to Nomad Fay!

thanks David! I figured I better get on and defend myself :lol:

Marc - 7-29-2010 at 07:36 PM

Great photos. Hope you don't mind old chap....I lifted one of your pics and set it off to a buddy in Antwerp. He's hot to go to Baja.

Skipjack Joe - 7-29-2010 at 08:29 PM

Great trip report. Reading it the 2nd time was just as good as in May. You can't go wrong taking kids to Concepcion. Thanks.

BajaBlanca - 7-30-2010 at 08:22 AM

great great first time visit story - makes me appreciate where we live even more ! I think one of the things we like most about Baja is that you do open up and help your neighbors - whom you have never met before - and you find that it comes back to you ... with a returned ball or good food or a smile that makes your day. And it amazes me how kids communicate with NO language barriers at all, like magic.

David K - 6-13-2016 at 03:10 PM

Rereading a very nice trip report...

bajabuddha - 6-13-2016 at 04:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Rereading a very nice trip report...

I'm certain the 3 'tree-pics' (2 on page one, 1 on p.2) gave you some wood (get it? Tree/ wood?) Why else resurrect a 6 y/o thread? :lol:

David K - 6-13-2016 at 04:46 PM

I was looking up some posts on our Nomad group trip to Mission Santa María when I came across it. That the sea-level palm trees (at the same height above high tide as they were in a 1953 photo) were in it was purely circumstantial. Kind of junior high humor there, how old are you anyway?

bajabuddha - 6-13-2016 at 04:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I was looking up some posts on our Nomad group trip to Mission Santa María when I came across it. That the sea-level palm trees (at the same height above high tide as they were in a 1953 photo) were in it was purely circumstantial. Kind of junior high humor there, how old are you anyway?

Older'n you, sucka......

FISH ON ! ! !

BTW, you've just proven an hypothesis I've had for a long time... to be a true Nomad you first must have a humorectomy (removal of the funny-bone) or a frontal lobotomy.... however, the second can be replaced by the 'bottle infrontomy'. Lighten up, Lenore.

David K - 6-13-2016 at 05:14 PM

Oh, I am always looking for a good laugh!
I am here, aren't I???
LOL

AKgringo - 6-13-2016 at 05:29 PM

Buddah, I think this round went to DK. He saw your bait, and gave it a swat, but you didn't set a hook!

Besides that, this post is from four years before I ever started using this site (three years for you) so I was glad to see it. Also, it is good to see Pompano's avatar and comments again, I miss his posts.

David K - 6-13-2016 at 06:00 PM

Some stuff on here from years ago is still great reading. While a few 'haters' hate when I repost or bump up an old thread, countless others who have never seen them before enjoy them.

More happiness and fun is always a good thing!

bajabuddha - 6-13-2016 at 08:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Buddah, I think this round went to DK. He saw your bait, and gave it a swat, but you didn't set a hook!

Besides that, this post is from four years before I ever started using this site (three years for you) so I was glad to see it. Also, it is good to see Pompano's avatar and comments again, I miss his posts.

Great old post, I agree. But didn't set the hook??? FIRST CAST, amigo. Good thang I save old tire weights. :smug:

geomike - 6-14-2016 at 11:35 AM

David, by total coincidence I saw your bump on this now mouldy oldie! I haven't been on Nomads for months. Today I'm doing my time waiting to plead my traffic ticket to the Crown Prosecuter:( Looking for a little cheer-up I flip over to the Nomad Channel...always something entertaining there right!?

Anyhoo. 6 years ago I was just back from a life changing vacation and today I find myself at the courthouse...BRUTAL

Muchas Gracias!! For a much needed reminder of better, happier times exploring Baja for the first time!

David K - 6-14-2016 at 02:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by geomike  
David, by total coincidence I saw your bump on this now mouldy oldie! I haven't been on Nomads for months. Today I'm doing my time waiting to plead my traffic ticket to the Crown Prosecuter:( Looking for a little cheer-up I flip over to the Nomad Channel...always something entertaining there right!?

Anyhoo. 6 years ago I was just back from a life changing vacation and today I find myself at the courthouse...BRUTAL

Muchas Gracias!! For a much needed reminder of better, happier times exploring Baja for the first time!

Sounds like a return trip is in order!

BajaBlanca - 6-16-2016 at 07:58 AM

That continues to be one of the best travel trip reports ever on so many levels.

Hope you defended yourself well on the traffic ticket!