BajaNomad

Rosarito Chowing

Gypsy Jan - 5-31-2010 at 06:11 AM

I have received a number of requests for info about where to eat in the Rosarito area and the .xls spreadsheet for Rosarito is now ready.

This list is my own creative effort; a compilation of personal experience and information from other resources. All mistakes are mine and I welcome comments and further input

If you want a copy, please send me a U2U message with your email address included because the info is in .xls format and the only way I know how to share this is in an attachment to email.

[Edited on 6-12-2010 by Gypsy Jan]

Osprey - 5-31-2010 at 10:42 AM

Jan, have you thought this through? Are you holding yourself up to be a food/restaurant critic by answering the questions of a few friends about local eateries? Who do you plan to make the information available to? After that, are you prepared to deal with questions about who you left off the list and why, why you would include a place some found objectionable? I know you're just trying to be nice -- better think that one over again. Our little village has suffered greatly from informal critics/list makers/diseminators of what somebody said about whom. If you are sure you're just making a list of just the names of every possible place to eat in Rosarito then you have my apologies for butting in.

Osprey, I am Confused

Gypsy Jan - 5-31-2010 at 11:30 AM

I take your post as a warning, but what are you warning me about?

I live here in Baja Norte and enjoy going to interesting places that offer good food and a good experience and I like to share that info with other people.

I am not holding myself out as any kind of expert; I am just who I am as a person. (Too many "I" references in this message, but that can't be avoided in the context of the subject.)

Most likely, you are critical/cynical about my post because you do not know me and the internet is this wide open landscape where all kinds of promoters do their dance to reel in the unwary.

List

lookingandbuying - 5-31-2010 at 12:10 PM

I for one want the list and appreciate it!! My feeling is use it if you want, or ignore it. I have found the past individual reviews to be very helpful and found many wonderful places I would have never discovered on my own. If someone thinks a place should be added, it can be added later. Why not share????

noproblemo2 - 5-31-2010 at 12:16 PM

I believe as Jan stated in her post, "If you want a copy, please send me a U2U message with your email address included because the info is in .xls format and the only way I know how to share it is in an attachment to email.", she has already stated her reasons for doing the list in her manner, many here respect her dining experiences and are wanting to share in them thru trying some of the establishments. She has never claimed to be a "food critic", she is just sharing her experiences at certain dining venues, as many here also do...
PS Jan, Bobby's by the Sea is excellent, THANKS!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
Jan, have you thought this through? Are you holding yourself up to be a food/restaurant critic by answering the questions of a few friends about local eateries? Who do you plan to make the information available to? After that, are you prepared to deal with questions about who you left off the list and why, why you would include a place some found objectionable? I know you're just trying to be nice -- better think that one over again. Our little village has suffered greatly from informal critics/list makers/diseminators of what somebody said about whom. If you are sure you're just making a list of just the names of every possible place to eat in Rosarito then you have my apologies for butting in.

[Edited on 5-31-2010 by noproblemo2]

noproblemo2 - 5-31-2010 at 12:26 PM

Jan I would like a copy also......

Osprey - 5-31-2010 at 12:55 PM

Jan, I know you from your posts. I admire and respect your forum persona -- that's why I sent you the precaution. I am not a cynic -- lists are very subjective.

I Have a Persona?

Gypsy Jan - 5-31-2010 at 01:38 PM

My mum will be so happy to hear that I am an influential person after all her worries about me.

My persona would be happy to share a michelada with yours.

Cheers, GJ

wessongroup - 5-31-2010 at 04:36 PM

Osprey, don't give it a thought... GJ has checked these place out .... had a great time at one, just the other day... here's me, going back to my car

[Edited on 5-31-2010 by wessongroup]

Mexicorn - 5-31-2010 at 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
I take your post as a warning, but what are you warning me about?

I live here in Baja Norte and enjoy going to interesting places that offer good food and a good experience and I like to share that info with other people.

I am not holding myself out as any kind of expert; I am just who I am as a person. (Too many "I" references in this message, but that can't be avoided in the context of the subject.)

Most likely, you are critical/cynical about my post because you do not know me and the internet is this wide open landscape where all kinds of promoters do their dance to reel in the unwary.

I'm just confused!:?:

noproblemo2 - 5-31-2010 at 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
Osprey, don't give it a thought... GJ has checked these place out .... had a great time at one, just the other day... here's me, going back to my car

Geeezzzz what a looker!!!!!!!!!:o:o

bajadock - 5-31-2010 at 04:44 PM

Gypsy Jan,
Good on you. Too many baja tourism sites list restaurants that were once good and use the review from 1988 as today's news.

Location(how many sites omit this minor detail), decor, service, price range, style of food, cleanliness and any unique characteristics are welcome.

Since 2008, fewer Nomads traveling, fewer trip reports, fewer restaurant reviews.
GO4IT.

Mexicorn - 5-31-2010 at 04:44 PM

Quote:

Was that a photo of you heading back to your car after the "Burning Man" festival?

noproblemo2 - 5-31-2010 at 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexicorn
Quote:

I think maybe after the Cadillac Margaritas and Tacos!!!! LOL

Was that a photo of you heading back to your car after the "Burning Man" festival?

Iflyfish - 5-31-2010 at 04:50 PM

Gotta love the red pumps! But the soxs have to go, big fashion no no according to Nomads who know, you don't wear socks with your shorts and pumps.

Iflyfish

Looky Lous

Osprey - 5-31-2010 at 04:59 PM

Maybe border town tourists need more help than I thought. Sorry I put the harsh on a need for food directions. This couple is probably on the hunt for seafood.

Hope Floats.jpg - 44kB

wessongroup - 5-31-2010 at 05:03 PM

or a pair of "red slippers"... are we in Kansas?:lol::lol:

DENNIS - 5-31-2010 at 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
This couple is probably on the hunt for seafood.

They,ve parked their water-craft right under a NO PARKING sign.
Oh well, speed freaks don't need to read anyway. :lol:

wessongroup - 5-31-2010 at 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Iflyfish
Gotta love the red pumps! But the soxs have to go, big fashion no no according to Nomads who know, you don't wear socks with your shorts and pumps.

Iflyfish

leave it to a fly fisherperson to notice the important things... :lol::lol:

Mexicorn - 5-31-2010 at 05:43 PM

Quote:

:?: Doh!

I Like the Red Slippers, It Speaks to My Inner Dorothy

Gypsy Jan - 5-31-2010 at 05:48 PM

The fire stuff, not so much.

[Edited on 6-1-2010 by Gypsy Jan]

Mexicorn - 5-31-2010 at 05:55 PM

Oh My Goodness!

wessongroup - 5-31-2010 at 06:23 PM

It's all good.. and will see how many of the place I can give a try.... :):)

skipowell - 6-5-2010 at 10:10 AM

Jan
Thanks for all your lists.
We have now tried all your places except Otto's. Does anyone have additional info on finding this place. I am intrigued!

We have tried a couple newer places North of Rosarito that might deserve a try. An American woman named Ana and her Mexican husband Jesse just opened a nice breakfast /lunch place called Baja Country. Beautiful ambiance even though it over looks the highway. Had great biscuits and gravy. Very Americanized (not what every wants when coming down here!) We will be making this a regular as it is close for us. it is just South of Baja Malibu and across the highway.

Another place on this end that is now worthy of a mention is Fabrizzio (new owner) in fact the brothers who run the place mentioned they are going to change the name . This is a Italian style place with kind of a funky/swanky interior and a very reasonable menu. I love all the salads. Often I am craving salad down here and sometimes reluctant to order them. I have tried 4 of their 6 salads and had no remorse! The Chipolte Fettucini is also amazing. This place is at the entrance to SADM right next to the defunct La Costa (how I wish they were still in business)

Keep up with your reviews. Splash being one of our favorites now. We agree with your comment about best Sea bass especially for $10.00

Going to start on Jan's TJ list now! Would love to know from those who have been to several of Jan's picks which one you recommend to try first. We are okay with all price ranges so would love to know your top pick!

Lori

Woooosh - 6-11-2010 at 09:58 AM

I had a burger at Pepe's last night that was incredible. I know no-one comes to Baja for a burger- but these give in-n-out a run for the money. Seriously. Try the bacon/avoc/cheese or Hawaiian. Can't describe them fully- huge, layers of flavors and sauces, sauteed toppings- way beyond what you would expect from a roadside stand (except for the very cheap price). If you thought you knew hot dogs before the more exotic Mexican versions won you over- this is the same idea. Pepe's is on the same block as the Waldo's in central Rosarito Beach on Benito Juarez Blvd. (across from La Quinta) and looks like what it is- a hamburger stand.

DENNIS - 6-11-2010 at 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh
I had a burger at Pepe's last night that was incredible. I know no-one comes to Baja for a burger- but these give in-n-out a run for the money. Seriously.

That's high praise. The final analysis will be the fat and cholesterol comparison. The highest number is the winner.

DENNIS - 6-11-2010 at 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaeng
I'm hoping they make it.

I hope so too. Opening a restaurant down here these days is a real gamble.
Out here in PB, it can be like people just don't open their eyes. There isn't enough business to support the few restaurants already here and people keep opening them.
Here today...Gone maņana. It's a shame.

Woooosh - 6-11-2010 at 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by bajaeng
I'm hoping they make it.

I hope so too. Opening a restaurant down here these days is a real gamble.
Out here in PB, it can be like people just don't open their eyes. There isn't enough business to support the few restaurants already here and people keep opening them.
Here today...Gone maņana. It's a shame.

and no shortage of drinking holes in PB to be sure. You think there's a correlation between the number of bars and restaurants a youth-focused neighborhood like PB can sustain?

Woooosh - 6-11-2010 at 12:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I had a burger at Pepe's last night that was incredible. I know no-one comes to Baja for a burger- but these give in-n-out a run for the money. Seriously.

That's high praise. The final analysis will be the fat and cholesterol comparison. The highest number is the winner.

The Pepes burger has to be at least double the fat of a double-double combo- without the fries and shake. Double the size too and for sure double the flavor complexity. I usually "deconstruct" something this good to see where the flavor levels are- but I couldn't get myself to tear this one a apart- every bite was perfect and I didn't want to mess with it. Maybe the next one...

I had been good about doing my low-carb thing to drop some may-gray pounds- but was weak last night and actually ate the bun because it had so much sauce and flavors. The scale this morning says it added four pounds. guilt. guilt. LOL

DENNIS - 6-11-2010 at 01:02 PM

Quote:
and no shortage of drinking holes in PB to be sure. You think there's a correlation between the number of bars and restaurants a youth-focused neighborhood like PB can sustain?

You must be talking about Pacific Beach, Woooosh. I'm talkin' Punta Banda.

new place across from Oceana??

skipowell - 6-11-2010 at 08:09 PM

Bajaeng-
the only place we have eaten at across from Oceana is Arcel's.
Great breakfast and very reasonable. Is that the "new place you are refering to?
If so music and outside dining is certainly a is a new addition will have to go back there. Liked the food and service just the ambiance was a bit to sterile so the changes sound great.

Woooosh - 6-11-2010 at 11:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:

You must be talking about Pacific Beach, Woooosh. I'm talkin' Punta Banda.

was youth-focused the clue... and yeah, I was. :bounce:

noproblemo2 - 6-12-2010 at 09:13 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The Pepes burger has to be at least double the fat of a double-double combo- without the fries and shake. Double the size too and for sure double the flavor complexity. I usually "deconstruct" something this good to see where the flavor levels are- but I couldn't get myself to tear this one a apart- every bite was perfect and I didn't want to mess with it. Maybe the next one...

I had been good about doing my low-carb thing to drop some may-gray pounds- but was weak last night and actually ate the bun because it had so much sauce and flavors. The scale this morning says it added four pounds. guilt. guilt. LOL

YOU CAN ALWAYS JUST CHALK IT UP TO THE JUNE GLOOM AND ENJOY THE REST OF THE MONTH WITH GREAT BURGERS :lol::lol: The July on heat will melt off a few of those pounds.....

Now were talkin

wessongroup - 6-12-2010 at 09:34 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, this too is true... :):)

And now that you have my full undivided attention.... I'm getting hungry .... :):) there must be some reason to have my wife drive us up to Rosarito.. burgers sounds like a good enough one, but for real entertainment, would like to drop by the Telnor office to discuss internet connection speed...... or to congratulate Tenlnor on my new record setting connect of 30.1 kbs .... I really want to ask how they are able to squeeze down the bandwidth of customers this far without a revolt.. I've always been cheap and slow .. but these folks have have taken it to another level .. :lol::lol:

[Edited on 6-12-2010 by wessongroup]

noproblemo2 - 6-12-2010 at 09:47 AM

Quote:
And now that you have my full undivided attention.... I'm getting hungry ... must have a reason to drive up the road.. :):)

[Edited on 6-12-2010 by wessongroup]

Well bring me a couple of em too!!!!!!!!!! With Fries please...:lol::lol:

krafty - 11-14-2010 at 06:54 PM

update here-The old Arcels is now the Oceana Restaurant, and Fabrizzios is now Gusta-they are both great

wessongroup - 11-14-2010 at 08:18 PM

thanks forgot about this.... :lol::lol:

bajabound2005 - 11-15-2010 at 07:25 AM

Good burgers? Actually GREAT burgers in Ensenada. Icarus Wings. They even make their own hamburger buns daily. Located on Ambar near 29 de Noviembre. Open from 1:00 - 8:00 Tues-Thurs, open till 11:00 on Friday and Saturday, Sundays until 7:00.