BajaNomad

violence in the Punta Banda area

bacquito - 7-21-2010 at 11:44 AM

This killing occurred this past monday.

http://www.ensenada.net/noticias/nota.php?id=18013

wessongroup - 7-21-2010 at 11:49 AM

40 caliber pistol ..... hummmmm

DENNIS - 7-21-2010 at 11:54 AM

Here's a translation of a different article, same subject. This is way to close to Sharky's.
-------------

In what appears to be an execution, a man was killed Monday afternoon in the Ejido Esteban Cantu a few meters from his home and business.
The deceased was identified at the scene as Salvador Sanchez Ponce 45 years of age, it was a known ejidatario of that community.
The incident took place on Calle Eduardo Gomez or "F" Ejido Esteban Cantu and Highway to La Bufadora, around 13:20 hours in the afternoon.

According to the testimonies of various people in the scene, the murderer was one person, a young man who had never before seen.
This subject, arrived and asked a person who was outside a business on the side of the road, who minutes later was to become his victim.
The person was an employee of the now deceased, who was on the same block where he was killed, at the foot of the hill a business with caterpillars and dump trucks to supply stone and gravel.

The thought that they were looking for a play and told him he was the man who at the time he walked toward his business from home also in the same street.
The now deceased was then approached by the murderer who shot him at close range, apparently four times with a gun leaving him mortally wounded.

The shooting led to local residents who were among family members and workers of the victim, came out to see what was happening unsuccessfully trying to help the wounded.
As the attacker escaped on board a van-type unit, presumably a gray Explorer, without being able to indicate whether he had directed toward the tip of Punta Banda peninsula at the tip of the tongue or returned to Sandy Maneadero .
A Red Cross unit, arrived at the scene several minutes later, after traveling from Ensenada to almost 30 minutes away which despite the efforts of paramedics and could do nothing for him.

Also mounted in the immediate vicinity of a strong integrated operational by members of the Municipal Police Maneadero delegations and the same Esteban Cantu, ministerial and State Preventive Police to try to locate the drive that used the alleged murderer.
At the scene arrived on Agent State Law Ministry to mark the body itself which was built shortly thereafter by the Forensic Medical Service unit to take to the morgue and autopsy practice of law

noproblemo2 - 7-21-2010 at 11:57 AM

Very sad and in broad daylight too.........

chnlisle - 7-21-2010 at 12:50 PM

I'm waiting for Bajatripper to tell bacquito, "shame, shame, shame...Shame on you!" And then for mtgoat666 to say the motivation for posting the pic here was for "ghoulish voyeuristic titilation..."

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=46752&pag...

MsTerieus - 7-21-2010 at 01:45 PM

Yikes! Maybe I should write of Punta Banda and environs as areas to which I should consider a move! Seems they may be too close to the border for me!

DENNIS - 7-21-2010 at 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MsTerieus

of

off :lol:

MsTerieus - 7-21-2010 at 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by MsTerieus

of

off :lol:

LOL. Not half as bad as what I'd prepared for.

That IS telling

Dave - 7-21-2010 at 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
40 caliber pistol ..... hummmmm

I shoot .40 and 10mm and the choice of weapons and ammo ain't cheap. Coupled with the fact the victim was shot 4 times tells me that this was probably not armed robbery. ;D

The victim was playing in the wrong sandbox.

bajaguy - 7-21-2010 at 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave

YUP!

DENNIS - 7-21-2010 at 02:42 PM

Quote:

Word on the street is he owed a lot of money. That's all, so far.

fishabductor - 7-21-2010 at 03:01 PM

Doesn't look like he'll be paying off that loan now!!

Dave - 7-21-2010 at 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishabductor
Doesn't look like he'll be paying off that loan now!!

Looks like his next of kin just got the bill. :rolleyes:

avid - 7-23-2010 at 09:54 AM

Quote:

I shoot .40 and 10mm and the choice of weapons and ammo ain't cheap.

Can you even find any 10mm ammo? I went into to a local dealer last week to buy a Model 20 Glock and the shop said they would love to sell me one but that haven't been able to get any ammo for three months? I see the custom ammo makers have some at a $1 a round. Besides handloading do you have any other suggestions. TIA

Dave - 7-23-2010 at 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by avid

Can you even find any 10mm ammo? I went into to a local dealer last week to buy a Model 20 Glock and the shop said they would love to sell me one but that haven't been able to get any ammo for three months? I see the custom ammo makers have some at a $1 a round. Besides handloading do you have any other suggestions. TIA

I did a quick Google and found several outlets. It's out there. Ain't cheap though. I'm a reloader so for me it's not an issue.

Glock 20 is a damn fine gun. You might also consider buying the .40 barrel. I have one for my 29 but rarely fire it. I prefer 10mm and I down load a bit.

BillP - 7-23-2010 at 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by avid
Quote:

I shoot .40 and 10mm and the choice of weapons and ammo ain't cheap.

Georgia Arms has reasonable prices though their loads are pretty mild:
http://georgia-arms.com/10mm-1.aspx

For the good "hot" 10mm I like Double Tap, but like you say it's pricey

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_...

FWIW

jeremias - 7-23-2010 at 01:37 PM

I was just in that area the day before.....sheesh... Not on topic, but we went to surf this place over there that to get to, we drove this insane little road on the side of the cliff, and then repelled down an unbelievably sketchy rope down the same cliff. Anybody been to this place? There's a bunch of Tuna pens and and big rock outside. Needless to say I didn't have a good time, but lived. Now there's random shootings in broad daylight, I think I'll be staying at San Miguel.

bacquito - 7-23-2010 at 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeremias
I was just in that area the day before.....sheesh... Not on topic, but we went to surf this place over there that to get to, we drove this insane little road on the side of the cliff, and then repelled down an unbelievably sketchy rope down the same cliff. Anybody been to this place? There's a bunch of Tuna pens and and big rock outside. Needless to say I didn't have a good time, but lived. Now there's random shootings in broad daylight, I think I'll be staying at San Miguel.

From the sounds of it you were at E. Kennedy. I've gone down that rope. My opinion is that it is a beautiful area

Bajahowodd - 7-23-2010 at 02:19 PM

The shooting wasn't random, and most likely had nothing to do with border proximity. I think Dennis, and Dave both nailed it. This was a personal thing that was likely over money, and something that can happen anywhere. True enough that having it happened where it did is certainly little comfort to those living in the area.

Just as an aside, in reading Dennis' translation post, who wants to bet that the perp headed out toward La Buf?

bajabound2005 - 7-23-2010 at 02:19 PM

this was not a random shooting. local scuttlebutt says drugs? crime of passion?

DENNIS - 7-23-2010 at 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeremias
Anybody been to this place? There's a bunch of Tuna pens and and big rock outside. Needless to say I didn't have a good time, but lived. Now there's random shootings in broad daylight, I think I'll be staying at San Miguel.

For some reason, it's called Long Beach or something like that. There arn't a lot of sandy beaches in that area, but that's a pretty nice one. Was anyway. Haven't seen it for a while.

The shooting wasn't random. It was a hit. Don't worry....these guys arn't looking for you. If they are, stay away from Sharky's in the afternoons.

DENNIS - 7-23-2010 at 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd

Just as an aside, in reading Dennis' translation post, who wants to bet that the perp headed out toward La Buf?

There were four of them in one car. It was very professional.
Funny thing about eye witnesses and all they can forget in thirty minutes. There was disagreement on which way they went. To the Buf or Maneadero.

DENNIS - 7-23-2010 at 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bacquito
From the sounds of it you were at E. Kennedy. I've gone down that rope. My opinion is that it is a beautiful area

Long Beach is just a bit north of Kennedy Cove. [sounds like Hyannisport, doesn't it]

BajaGringo - 7-23-2010 at 04:07 PM

I was out there many, many moons ago. Is that where the dump is at?

DENNIS - 7-23-2010 at 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
I was out there many, many moons ago. Is that where the dump is at?

You pass the dump on the way to Kennedy or Arbolitos. For Long Beach, you take the road up to Pto. Escondido, above my place, and go over the hill to the water.

BajaGringo - 7-23-2010 at 04:52 PM

We took a drive up there - back in the early 70's. Wasn't much there at the time...

DENNIS - 7-23-2010 at 04:56 PM

Quote:
We took a drive up there - back in the early 70's. Wasn't much there at the time...

If you mean Pto. Escondido, there are some beautiful homes there now. Nomad Bajadock has a kickass home up there.

bajadock - 7-23-2010 at 04:56 PM

[Edited on 7-24-2010 by bajadock]

BajaGringo - 7-23-2010 at 04:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:

If you mean Pto. Escondido, there are some beautiful homes there now. Nomad Bajadock has a kickass home up there.

I think that's the place. Spent five days down in Baja with some friends, one of them who had grown up in Ensenada and cemented my love for this place.

Lucky Bajadock....

DENNIS - 7-23-2010 at 05:00 PM

Yeah....well, he just posted the pic of Long Beach without commentary. He must have laryngitis.

Right around that point is La Bufadora.

[Edited on 7-24-2010 by DENNIS]

BajaGringo - 7-23-2010 at 05:28 PM

I have some old photos of that trip somewhere. Now you're going to make me start searching through boxes...

:lol::lol::lol:

bajadock - 7-23-2010 at 05:34 PM

Sad to hear of the shooting in Cantu.

Dennis and a handful of us Nomads enjoy our little paradise on Punta Banda. Posted the photo of the beach and the map of the area for orientation.

Glad to see a few more trip reports here. Pacificos are always cold here at the Pub for those who can spell Nomad.

noproblemo2 - 7-23-2010 at 05:37 PM

Well BG, you have to unpack sometime :lol::lol::lol:

noproblemo2 - 7-23-2010 at 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadock

Dennis and a handful of us Nomads enjoy our little paradise on Punta Banda. Posted the photo of the beach and the map of the area for orientation.

Glad to see a few more trip reports here. Pacificos are always cold here at the Pub for those who can spell Nomad.

Do we have to spell it before or after a few??? :lol:

BornFisher - 7-23-2010 at 05:48 PM

Bummer about the murder.
Since this thread has been jacked. I used to have a place at the south west tip. These were the days of Carson and Linda, Memo, Gordo`s, Chuey and assorted other nuts. We would hike over the mountain, hike past Alligator Cove, go down the rope, body surf and explore Sea Hag cave. What a great area!!

DENNIS - 7-23-2010 at 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BornFisher
These were the days of Carson............Chuy and assorted other nuts.

Two classic gentlemen...RIP

BajaGringo - 7-23-2010 at 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by noproblemo2
Well BG, you have to unpack sometime :lol::lol::lol:

Don't mess with my clutter management system. My policy is if three years can pass without opening a box it can't be that important.

Chuck it...

BajaGringo - 7-23-2010 at 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadock

I keep thinking that we need to make the side-trip out to see you guys one of these trips going back and forth from the border. Would be great to plan a day to get together with some of the other Nomad locals at the same time...

noproblemo2 - 7-23-2010 at 09:28 PM

Hey you'd better try for some of us in between there and add another day to that !!!!

BajaGringo - 7-23-2010 at 10:12 PM

Too true. Maybe we should just pick a day and make it a local Nomad get together...

bajaguy - 7-24-2010 at 06:52 AM

Punta Banda Chili Cook-Off, August 21st

Udo - 7-24-2010 at 06:54 AM

I'll meet you there, Terry...and I'm bringing the lazers for you.

BajaGringo - 7-24-2010 at 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

Maybe you should bring some bear spray too. In a pinch you could spike any of the recipes that are deemed too mild...

wessongroup - 7-24-2010 at 07:31 AM

BG, didn't know you cook too... :):)

Udo - 7-24-2010 at 07:40 AM

BG:
I already ordered the bear spary on ebay...two bottles with holsters for $60.00, free shipping in the U.S.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

Maybe you should bring some bear spray too. In a pinch you could spike any of the recipes that are deemed too mild...

fishabductor - 7-24-2010 at 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
BG:
I already ordered the bear spary on ebay...two bottles with holsters for $60.00, free shipping in the U.S.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

When the bear spray first came out a couple people thought it was like bug repellent and hosed themselves down...I imagine a few others may have tried to season food with it.

monoloco - 7-24-2010 at 07:52 AM

How about bear spray with a laser sight?

DENNIS - 7-24-2010 at 07:59 AM

How about bear spray with a laser sight taped to a 9mm?

fishabductor - 7-24-2010 at 08:11 AM

Quote:
How about bear spray with a laser sight taped to a 9mm?

....Taped to a 12ga with 000 buckshot!

bajaguy - 7-24-2010 at 08:29 AM

Quote:
....a 12ga with 000 buckshot!

Actually, a better defense load load is #4 buckshot (not #4 birdshot)

fishabductor - 7-24-2010 at 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Quote:
....a 12ga with 000 buckshot!

000 buck would do a hell of a lot of damage, however there are more pellets in #4

#4 is a .20 cal pellet
000 is a .36cal pellet

Actually, a better defense load load is #4 buckshot (not #4 birdshot)

noproblemo2 - 7-24-2010 at 08:44 AM

Geez, how about an uzi ????

BajaGringo - 7-24-2010 at 08:48 AM

Quote:
Geez, how about an uzi ????

Small, tactical nukes with laser sites and bear spray kickers would really send the right message in my book. It would surely make for a memorable Chili Cookoff, don't ya know...

bajaguy - 7-24-2010 at 08:53 AM

For a standard 2-3/4-inch shell in 12 gauge, the number of balls or pellets ranges from eight .36-inch balls in "000 buckshot" to 27 .24-inch balls in "# 4 buckshot".

fishabductor - 7-24-2010 at 08:56 AM

or go 3.5" shells to get 15 pellets.

Check out the new topic i just posted about converting a flare pistol to a 38cal

MsTerieus - 7-24-2010 at 09:51 AM

Quote:

I've looked into flights that would have me there on the 21st, Bajaguy and NoProblemo. I'm still waiting to hear from a couple of folks who would need to be in that area or San Quintin to show me around in the surrounding days. :yes:

noproblemo2 - 7-24-2010 at 09:56 AM

We're here, name the day !!!

fishabductor - 7-24-2010 at 09:58 AM

Chili Cook Off= Violence to the intestines as well as other lower body parts.

bajaguy - 7-24-2010 at 10:00 AM

Quote:
or go 3.5" shells to get 15 pellets.

Check out the new topic i just posted about converting a flare pistol to a 38cal

There are various alternatives you can use other than a "firearm" when in Mexico. Many have been discussed here. Some are better than others depending on the situation. You need to be prepared mentally, have the means and the ability to cause havoc, panic and inflict injury or worse to your threat.

I belive that there are few on this board that have background, training, experience and ability to meet and defeat a threat.........hovever, doing NOTHING is not an option

DENNIS - 7-24-2010 at 10:07 AM

Quote:

There are various alternatives you can use other than a "firearm" when in Mexico.

Boiling oil is going to be my greeting of choice:

http://www.mentalfloss.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/oil.jp...

noproblemo2 - 7-24-2010 at 10:09 AM

But, takes a while to get it boiling, might not have time for that. Pic kinda reminds me of Scrooge tho..

bajaguy - 7-24-2010 at 10:10 AM

Quote:
We're here, name the day !!!

DENNIS - 7-24-2010 at 10:13 AM

Quote:
But, takes a while to get it boiling, might not have time for that. Pic kinda reminds me of Scrooge tho..

That's why you have to leave Christmas Carol stuff by the door, so the bad guys will have something to do while you get ready.

noproblemo2 - 7-24-2010 at 10:14 AM

Bob H - 7-24-2010 at 10:14 AM

How about a skeet shooting contest during the cookoff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7LRfjEujaQ

MsTerieus - 7-24-2010 at 10:14 AM

Thanks, both. I'll keep you posted!

DENNIS - 7-24-2010 at 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
How about a skeet shooting contest during the cookoff!

Poor Skeet. :no:

[Edited on 7-24-2010 by DENNIS]

toneart - 7-24-2010 at 10:45 AM

Quote:
Quote:

There are various alternatives you can use other than a "firearm" when in Mexico.

Boiling oil is going to be my greeting of choice:

http://www.mentalfloss.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/oil.jp...

Hey Dennis!

That has been a favorite for much of my life. It is a Charles Adams cartoon that appeared in The New Yorker Magazine, probably in the 1950s. Little did I realize then that I could grow up to be a curmudgeon as an adult and still enjoy it. :smug:;):tumble:

Bajatripper - 7-31-2010 at 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chnlisle
I'm waiting for Bajatripper to tell bacquito, "shame, shame, shame...Shame on you!"

Hold your breath, I'll be right with you.