BajaNomad

trade surf fishing secrets

Russ - 9-10-2010 at 06:39 PM

Hey woody
Pac. side. #1 carolina rig for fishing inside the breaks. Max 6# mono. If you can't get decent size sand crabs stack the small ones on the hook. I'm not sure how this is going to work Woody. I think you've got me out classed. I just talk a lot.

woody with a view - 9-10-2010 at 07:11 PM

i meant we could trade secrets in PERSON.... just don't ask about surfspots!!!!

outclassed? i'm seeing spots........

shari - 9-10-2010 at 07:16 PM

how bout a surf fishing mini tournament when Woody is in Asuncion...I'm sure Iflyfish will be up for that and a bunch of other surfishernuts will be here then too...pick a date Russ n Woodman!!! Prizes, BBQ, Entertainment, Games...huh, huh, huh??? maybe a kayak catagory? sounds like a good excuse to have a party eh!

bajabass - 9-10-2010 at 07:20 PM

I like the way you think Shari! And a pool on the winner!!

Woooosh - 9-10-2010 at 07:20 PM

What's the deal on these teeny tiny sand crabs? I see people use them all day and dig for them with shovels at low tide. My dogs all love to eat them- but they seem awfully small to attract a fish of edible size. Most of the fish I see guys catch with them look like bait to catch a fish of edible size. What am I missing?

woody with a view - 9-10-2010 at 07:24 PM

GREAT IDEA! we should be there 8th or 9th of oct. 9 days of funinthesun! winner buys the first round? loser(s) pours drinks from their stash for the winner? Sirenita gives new baby winners name? okay, middle name!!!:P

that's why i love that woman! she's always got great ideas!!!!

bajabass - 9-10-2010 at 07:29 PM

There can be some big critters in the surf Woooosh! I've never found 'em, but they are there! You are most likely seeing the surf perch along the beaches in and around Rosarito. Corvina, corbina, halibut, sharks, all roam the surf at times, some rather large. I've caught very nice calico bass and halibut from the rockier areas around La Mision, La Salina, Angel's Camp ect., but always struck out from the sand! It's a different art for sure.

woody with a view - 9-10-2010 at 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh
What's the deal on these teeny tiny sand crabs? I see people use them all day and dig for them with shovels at low tide. My dogs all love to eat them- but they seem awfully small to attract a fish of edible size. Most of the fish I see guys catch with them look like bait to catch a fish of edible size. What am I missing?

it's counter-intuitive (word of the day!). the fish smell? the guts that the hook allows to leak out and don't give a rats arse about the size of the bait. they eat when the chance presents itself!

in the money! inches vs. weight?

edit: oh yeah. 25# test...... (that's mt secret!:lol: )

[Edited on 9-11-2010 by woody with a view]

[Edited on 9-11-2010 by woody with a view]

100_5547.jpg - 43kB

Woooosh - 9-10-2010 at 07:35 PM

OK Woody. That' def edible. So it's about the smell- not the size of the bait? Didn't know that. The stacking on the hook idea is new to me but makes sense. I have been spincasting a lure from the beach because I can cast wicked far past the breakers with it. When the lure drags back in through the sand there are always a few tiny sandcrabs impaled on the hooks- but no fish... yet.

woody with a view - 9-10-2010 at 07:43 PM

that fish (and his cousins) were caught 30 feet out, about even with my shoulders. tie an egg sinker above a swivel. tie 24" of line below the swivel and attach a #2ish hook. add a sand crab the size of your pinkie fingernail (or 3) and toss it out to where it's waist deep.

thank me later....

shari - 9-10-2010 at 08:20 PM

people catch yellowtail from the beach here too when things get going...how cool is that!
OK...lets hear when Iflyfish will be here to set a possible date of course which will be flexible...hey...this is baja!

dtbushpilot - 9-10-2010 at 08:27 PM

Count me in shari, wouldn't want to miss an opportunity to meet and party with Nomads and learn or teach something new....oh yea, and win a fishing tournament....dt

woody with a view - 9-10-2010 at 08:30 PM

how's the weather right now? 'tis cooling off up here, getting ready for fall.

this is the summer that never was.......

BMG - 9-10-2010 at 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view

Sirenita gives new baby winners name? okay, middle name!!!
You expect her to name the baby With? Or A?

woody with a view - 9-10-2010 at 08:36 PM

if i win? absolutely!!!!

Russ - 9-10-2010 at 10:18 PM

I fish light and close in. Some nice fish in ankle deep water. Same set up as woody. 1/2 oz egg sinker> swivel> 12"-18" 6# to 8# leader> # 2ish hook.
Secret # 2 ~ Look for and area where the white water kind peters out. That's a hole and may hold fish. Toss the bait, swimmy or lure up current and bring it in tight line. Don't give it up in knee deep water that's where you want to be.
I'm bumbed! I won't be back from Laguna until at least the 15th.:no:
But I'll look forward to reading about the contest.

shari - 9-11-2010 at 11:17 AM

oh oh...if dtbushpilot comes...look out...he's like a shore fish whisperer man!;)

I'm kinda likin the sound of Izaak A. (sounds canadian eh!):biggrin:

Hey russ...maybe around the 17th or 18th might work!!!

Russ - 9-11-2010 at 11:25 AM

"Hey russ...maybe around the 17th or 18th might work!!!"
That would be good if I don't bring company back with me that would rather explore PC. That's really a big "if".

Iflyfish - 9-11-2010 at 12:29 PM

It's not the bait that smells, it's the fisherman!

We leave Oregon around the first of Oct, will be down there mid Oct, mas o menos. Put me in Coach!!

17th/18th sounds doeable and fun!!! Make sure that a Wine Wed is involved!!

This is going to be Fun and will get to put some more faces to names, Hijalo!!

Iflyfish

woody with a view - 9-11-2010 at 06:07 PM

well then, since all of the guys i was worried about wont be there for the contest it looks like Zakito will have a middle name starting with a "W".......:lol:

dtbushpilot - 9-11-2010 at 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
well then, since all of the guys i was worried about wont be there for the contest it looks like Zakito will have a middle name starting with a "W".......:lol:

I'll be there, I use a different technique than any of you guys, I'll be happy to share my secrets....right after the tournament....guess sirenita and adrian should think of some "d" names.....

mulegemichael - 9-11-2010 at 08:17 PM

dt...we have a local "3 fish tourney" that week in mulege...14,15,16, methinks..of october....we'll be there the last week of november...let's have one then, too.

dtbushpilot - 9-11-2010 at 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
dt...we have a local "3 fish tourney" that week in mulege...14,15,16, methinks..of october....we'll be there the last week of november...let's have one then, too.

And another and another......hi to Roz...dt

BajaBlanca - 9-12-2010 at 04:32 AM

We may just have to go to Asuncion for that surf tournament .... I mean ..... Les would win it hands down.....and we wouldn't want to miss out on the fun !!