BajaNomad

The old days in Baja

mcfez - 10-1-2010 at 02:21 PM

I can remember the days when one could just walk into the waves and grab 3-4 fish with your bare hands. Those days are gone now...

deno.jpg - 49kB

DENNIS - 10-1-2010 at 02:31 PM

Well...It ain't Baja, but it's not far away.............In high school, Newport Beach, our first metal shop project was an Ab Iron. In those days, you could walk up to your knees into the water at Corona Del Mar and pop Abalone off the rocks. As many as you wanted.
Just thought I'd mention that.

sanquintinsince73 - 10-1-2010 at 02:41 PM

Much like it was in San Quintin, wall to wall fish and abalone. Hell, you'd get tired of eating abalone. Now we gotta settle for that crap the viet-cong send us in cans.

Newport Beach?

mcfez - 10-1-2010 at 03:12 PM

Get out of here!
My family had a place on the small island.
Jolly Rogers ruled. Buccaneer Malts. The Volcano.

[Edited on 10-1-2010 by mcfez]

DENNIS - 10-1-2010 at 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez

Little Island....seperated from Balboa Island by a thirty foot canal. When I first moved out of the family house in Balboa, Little Island was my first home. I rented a small, one bedroom house for 75 bucks a month.

Sorry for the hi-jack.

sanquintinsince73 - 10-1-2010 at 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez

Little Island....seperated from Balboa Island by a thirty foot canal. When I first moved out of the family house in Balboa, Little Island was my first home. I rented a small, one bedroom house for 75 bucks a month.

Sorry for the hi-jack.

We use to fish out of Newport. We would rent a skiff from Art's Landing. I wonder if the Pavillion is still there.

Skeet/Loreto - 10-1-2010 at 04:41 PM

I can still stand on the Beach in Certain areas of Baja sur and catch 25 Lb yellowtail from the Beach. I can still go out within 5 miles of Loreto and catch 25 Lb yellowtail. I can still go out and swim with the Sharks at Certain times of the year.

It is still the good old Baja you just have to get out there and seek maybe a little further out or away from certain areas.

Don;t give up Adventuuers it is still there.

Skeet

Catching Dinner with his bare hands...

David K - 10-1-2010 at 04:50 PM

it is none other than super Baja thrill seeker, Graham Mackintosh...

Is there any other way to catch a dorado, than with your bare hands?

A couple more fun photos of Graham from the 1980's on these web pages...

http://www.vivabaja.com/graham/ and http://vivabaja.com/eclipse/

Cypress - 10-1-2010 at 04:54 PM

Skeet/ Loreto. When was the last time you were down?:?: It's a sweet dream your speaking of. I had the same dream, but woke up.;)

woody with a view - 10-1-2010 at 05:02 PM

i'm betting someone dropped a dead dorado over the side and GM dove in after it.......

DENNIS - 10-1-2010 at 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
i'm betting someone dropped a dead dorado over the side and GM dove in after it.......

I think it's one of those fish pillows you can buy at Cabelas.

Cypress - 10-1-2010 at 05:16 PM

Quote:

Is there any other way to catch a dorado, than with your bare hands?

:lol::lol::lol:

805gregg - 10-1-2010 at 07:42 PM

They were catching Dorodo off the pier in Puerto Escondido when I was there in '73. I also got a live conch in Bahia Coyote the same year.

David K - 10-1-2010 at 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 805gregg
They were catching Dorodo off the pier in Puerto Escondido when I was there in '73. I also got a live conch in Bahia Coyote the same year.

I was also on the pier and saw yellowtail landed there... July, 1973.

I took this photo at Juncalito that trip (Ramon Villalejo's camp)... before he took us out fishing for dorado...

scan0019.jpg - 41kB

baitcast - 10-2-2010 at 06:49 AM

Cypress there are still YT,s to be had from the beach,right place,right time and you know what your doing! Yt,s are caught from this spot on a regular basis as well as a few other places.

wessongroup - 10-2-2010 at 07:02 AM

Cool set up for going fishing on the beach.... not Bubba, but pretty nice deal... looks like fun... and you have a built in "sand stake" for your pole.. not sure where the fish is going to fit... but, who cares... tie it on your neck... nice fish too

Skeet/Loreto - 10-2-2010 at 07:05 AM

Cypress' Twice in the past 8 months.

Cypress I think it may be that we do not have the same type of Sea of Cortez Lover going out for Fishing.
Most are set up with Fancy boats, Lots of Eletronic Ger to use instead of their own eyes and ers and Brains..

Seems as if a lot of the people coming down do not have any idea of the movement of Fish, the timing, etc.

There are lots of fish in the Sea of Cortez. Sometimes you just have to work a little Harder.

Question; I wonder how many Fisherman have ever been to Mercnerious Reef???
How many to Los Animas??

How many to Isla San Jose??

Skeet

monoloco - 10-2-2010 at 07:18 AM

Skeet, I've been to Isla San Jose, Las Animas, and Isla San Francisco many times, thats my favorite area in Baja.

Skeet/Loreto - 10-2-2010 at 07:46 AM

Mono: Have you been there when the small Yellofin are running.
I have never been to that area that I did not catch and see all kinds and lots of fish,

It was a long trip from Loreto and it was a major reason I sold my panga and got the Diesel wellcraft.

It seems as most of the fisherman coming down now do not or fail to take the time to seek our the good Fishing.
There are times when you can catch a ton of fish on the other side of Carmen down on the lower side of the Tip, other times of the year there is nothing.

Same thing with the Fishing Line from Catalana to Pt. Lobos. Just depends on the time of year and movement of the fish and Bait.

Some of the best fishing I have seen was two years ago out of Mulege, Fisherman just did not want to go that far out of Loreto I guess.

monoloco - 10-2-2010 at 08:01 AM

The last time we were at Las Animas it was summer and we caught a wahoo there. I usually catch a lot of pargo and cabrilla around the islands and reefs. There is always tons of bait to be had.

David K - 10-2-2010 at 08:14 AM

Bahia Las Animas (1-09):

[Edited on 10-2-2010 by David K]

monoloco - 10-2-2010 at 09:44 AM

DK, Las Animas is also a very small rocky island NE of Isla San Jose.

David K - 10-2-2010 at 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco

Yah, after I posted the photos above, I went back and edited in the word 'Bahia' as I figured Skeet and you were speaking of the island in Baja Sur (seeing how he hates Baja Norte.. just kidding Skeeter)!

Skeet/Loreto - 10-2-2010 at 11:25 AM

david:
I must say that I, The ole Time Baja Sur Character: do hereby and hereon accept David K. as a Baja Sur Citizen. This is due to his Character, and great times he has spent in Baja Sur, It is hoped that he will contuine with his Ways.

Skeet?

Offical Censor of all new Baja Sur Nomads

David K - 10-2-2010 at 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
david:
I must say that I, The ole Time Baja Sur Character: do hereby and hereon accept David K. as a Baja Sur Citizen. This is due to his Character, and great times he has spent in Baja Sur, It is hoped that he will contuine with his Ways.

Skeet?

Offical Censor of all new Baja Sur Nomads

Oh wow, thank you Skeet!

As proof... here we are in Baja Sur, last year (who can name each location?)!

A)

B)

C)

D)

E)

Skeet/Loreto - 10-2-2010 at 03:36 PM

Hey David K. that is not fair for Old timers losing their Mermory. I am just guessing now:

1st Photo --Mulege on the River
2nd Photos San Iganiaco
3rd Across from the Band at Constitution
4th Conception
5th a million places in Baja sur just like that

David K - 10-2-2010 at 03:47 PM

You got one correct amigo...I guess I earned that Baja Sur position! Yah, unfair because your life is on the Sea of Cortez and mine is in the desert more! You got the one photo correct on the sea shore!

A) San Ignacio
B) San Javier
C) Loreto
D) Buenaventura, on Bahia Concepcion
E) Magdalena ruins northwest of Mulege.

All the photos from last year, web page: http://vivabaja.com/709 and trip report on Nomad.

Skeet/Loreto - 10-3-2010 at 08:30 AM

Great Job.

I have a photo of the side of the Mission at San Javier that shows a very large Honeycomb that dripped for years.

Before the new road opened to San Javier it was an exciting trip on the old road.

Skeet

drarroyo - 10-3-2010 at 11:27 AM

dude!!!!!!!! switch to tortilla de maize.
holy guacamole Batman. :?:

[Edited on 10-3-2010 by drarroyo]

Skeet/Loreto - 10-3-2010 at 12:32 PM

drarroyo:

Please Speak and write Englich so us old Farts can understand you

Cypress - 10-3-2010 at 01:04 PM

Quote:
A) San Ignacio
B) San Javier
C) Loreto
D) Buenaventura, on Bahia Concepcion
E) Magdalena ruins northwest of Mulege.
David K. Thanks for the photos, been to all of 'em.
All the photos from last year, web page: http://vivabaja.com/709 and trip report on Nomad.

tripledigitken - 10-3-2010 at 01:13 PM

I got crabs in San Felipe in 1968.

Can't remember the name of the hotel though.

maspacifico - 10-3-2010 at 02:20 PM

:lol:

drarroyo - 10-4-2010 at 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
drarroyo:

Please Speak and write Englich so us old Farts can understand you

How long have you been going to baja, and you didn't pick up on it?? speaks volumes.
A close-up photo was posted of severe obesity.
Flour tortillas are way more fattenning than corn.
(If I'd just had a grandkid ... I would want to stick around out of respect for said grandkid ... not kill myself by selfish choices.)
Maybe it's best you stick to listening to Olstein (sp) so as you don't have to think for yourself. just sayin'

http://vimeo.com/13726978

(take 40 minutes of your time (the first 40 minutes of this film which you can watch free online. I DARE you))
you're welcome
peace

baitcast - 10-4-2010 at 08:12 AM

:lol::lol:..........Huh

Skeet/Loreto - 10-4-2010 at 08:37 AM

Disarroyo

Could you get someone who knows English to explain just what you are trying to say?

I don.t think anyone can understand what you are Speaking.

drarroyo - 10-4-2010 at 08:40 AM

never mind.
have a great day

Ken Bondy - 10-4-2010 at 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco

....and one of the best dive locations in the world. Magical place.

Skeet/Loreto - 10-4-2010 at 11:54 AM

Ken, you are so right.!!!

I have never experienced as much different Sea life as that in one place.

I still get goose bumps thinking about my first trip there catching a Bunch of 20 lb yellow fin.

The good old days!

las animas

bill erhardt - 10-4-2010 at 03:50 PM

Here's a picture of Las Animas in the background about 6 miles outside an anchorage on the NE side of Isla San Jose. I've spent many nights there to be at LA at first light the next morning......

las animas.jpg - 39kB

Skeet/Loreto - 10-4-2010 at 04:34 PM

Thanks a bunch for the picture Bill. Sure brings back lots of memories.

From your Posts appears the fishing is good as ever,''How is Bette Doing??

Skeet

bill erhardt - 10-4-2010 at 05:20 PM

Skeet......Actually, this is the worst fishing year I've ever seen out of Loreto. The season is starting of with a bang on the Pacific outside Mag Bay, however.
Betty is in the States, returning to Loreto in a week, or so.

Skeet/Loreto - 10-5-2010 at 07:08 AM

Bill:

Why do you think the fishing is bad out of Loreto?? Vyvle effect, the the Heavy Commercial, Lack or Bait.??

Have you heard or been to Los Aninmas lately?

Thanks Skeet

Skeet/Loreto - 10-5-2010 at 07:11 AM

Sorry about that it should Read Cycle Effect. Remember in the Past we would have a year ever once in awhile where we hardly had any good heavy fishing.

baitcast - 10-5-2010 at 08:30 AM

Man do I love that boat!!!!!!!!, Will be putting it on my Bucket List for sure.
Rob

bill erhardt - 10-5-2010 at 12:22 PM

Skeet......I don't know why it's been a bad year for pelagics, but it definitely has been. Since I've been in Loreto there have been bad years for dorado, or billfish, but this year we got a double whammy. Maybe next year we'll have a lot of everything.
I have not been south to Las Animas recently. I was in the States for a month or so, and since I returned have been fishing primarily on the Pacific side.

wessongroup - 10-5-2010 at 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
I got crabs in San Felipe in 1968.

Can't remember the name of the hotel though.

HOTEL !!!! right .... :lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 10-5-2010 by wessongroup]

David K - 10-6-2010 at 08:38 AM

In 1968, there were about 5 motels in San Felipe: Augie's Riviera, Villa Del Mar, El Cortez, Arnold's Del Mar, and one at the end of Mex. 5, on the right, I forgot the name. I don't think it was Joe's Crab Shack, however!

tripledigitken - 10-6-2010 at 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
In 1968, there were about 5 motels in San Felipe: Augie's Riviera, Villa Del Mar, El Cortez, Arnold's Del Mar, and one at the end of Mex. 5, on the right, I forgot the name. I don't think it was Joe's Crab Shack, however!

:lol::lol::lol:

acadist - 10-14-2010 at 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by baitcast
Cypress there are still YT,s to be had from the beach,right place,right time and you know what your doing! Yt,s are caught from this spot on a regular basis as well as a few other places.

Can you troll with that setup?:lol::lol::lol:

krafty - 10-14-2010 at 08:39 PM

wish I was blessed with your memory, David-

David K - 10-14-2010 at 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by krafty

It is selective, sadly... Baja stuff no problem, but people's names I just met... can't remember!:o

Bob H - 10-14-2010 at 10:05 PM

Quote:
Quote:

It is selective, sadly... Baja stuff no problem, but people's names I just met... can't remember!:o

David, actually, you are very good with your memory, especially including NAMES! Unreal. Bob H

Cypress - 10-15-2010 at 10:36 AM

baitcast, Nice fish. Congrats.:D Cut into chunks and deep fried to a golden brown.....

baitcast - 10-15-2010 at 11:25 AM

Nice shore caught YT for sure but not mine:no:
Rob

David K - 10-15-2010 at 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Quote:
Quote:

David, actually, you are very good with your memory, especially including NAMES! Unreal. Bob H

Thank you Bill... 'er I mean Bob!:lol:

I do remember all my friends and Baja trip amigos... I guess it must be non-Baja folks I have a problem remembering names of after one meeting, maybe that is normal...?

Cypress - 10-15-2010 at 02:54 PM

baitcast, No problemo! ;D Good fish no matter who caught it or where they caught it.;D