Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: The old days in Baja
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 02:21 PM
The old days in Baja

I can remember the days when one could just walk into the waves and grab 3-4 fish with your bare hands. Those days are gone now...

deno.jpg - 49kB

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 02:31 PM

Well...It ain't Baja, but it's not far away.............In high school, Newport Beach, our first metal shop project was an Ab Iron. In those days, you could walk up to your knees into the water at Corona Del Mar and pop Abalone off the rocks. As many as you wanted.
Just thought I'd mention that.
sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 02:41 PM

Much like it was in San Quintin, wall to wall fish and abalone. Hell, you'd get tired of eating abalone. Now we gotta settle for that crap the viet-cong send us in cans.

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 03:12 PM
Newport Beach?

Get out of here!
My family had a place on the small island.
Jolly Rogers ruled. Buccaneer Malts. The Volcano.

[Edited on 10-1-2010 by mcfez]

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez

Little Island....seperated from Balboa Island by a thirty foot canal. When I first moved out of the family house in Balboa, Little Island was my first home. I rented a small, one bedroom house for 75 bucks a month.

Sorry for the hi-jack.
sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez

Little Island....seperated from Balboa Island by a thirty foot canal. When I first moved out of the family house in Balboa, Little Island was my first home. I rented a small, one bedroom house for 75 bucks a month.

Sorry for the hi-jack.

We use to fish out of Newport. We would rent a skiff from Art's Landing. I wonder if the Pavillion is still there.

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 04:41 PM

I can still stand on the Beach in Certain areas of Baja sur and catch 25 Lb yellowtail from the Beach. I can still go out within 5 miles of Loreto and catch 25 Lb yellowtail. I can still go out and swim with the Sharks at Certain times of the year.

It is still the good old Baja you just have to get out there and seek maybe a little further out or away from certain areas.

Don;t give up Adventuuers it is still there.

Skeet
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 04:50 PM
Catching Dinner with his bare hands...

it is none other than super Baja thrill seeker, Graham Mackintosh...

Is there any other way to catch a dorado, than with your bare hands?

A couple more fun photos of Graham from the 1980's on these web pages...

http://www.vivabaja.com/graham/ and http://vivabaja.com/eclipse/

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 04:54 PM

Skeet/ Loreto. When was the last time you were down?:?: It's a sweet dream your speaking of. I had the same dream, but woke up.;)
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 05:02 PM

i'm betting someone dropped a dead dorado over the side and GM dove in after it.......

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
i'm betting someone dropped a dead dorado over the side and GM dove in after it.......

I think it's one of those fish pillows you can buy at Cabelas.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 05:16 PM

Quote:

Is there any other way to catch a dorado, than with your bare hands?

:lol::lol::lol:
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 07:42 PM

They were catching Dorodo off the pier in Puerto Escondido when I was there in '73. I also got a live conch in Bahia Coyote the same year.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 805gregg
They were catching Dorodo off the pier in Puerto Escondido when I was there in '73. I also got a live conch in Bahia Coyote the same year.

I was also on the pier and saw yellowtail landed there... July, 1973.

I took this photo at Juncalito that trip (Ramon Villalejo's camp)... before he took us out fishing for dorado...

scan0019.jpg - 41kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 10-2-2010 at 06:49 AM

Cypress there are still YT,s to be had from the beach,right place,right time and you know what your doing! Yt,s are caught from this spot on a regular basis as well as a few other places.

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 10-2-2010 at 07:02 AM

Cool set up for going fishing on the beach.... not Bubba, but pretty nice deal... looks like fun... and you have a built in "sand stake" for your pole.. not sure where the fish is going to fit... but, who cares... tie it on your neck... nice fish too

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2010 at 07:05 AM

Cypress' Twice in the past 8 months.

Cypress I think it may be that we do not have the same type of Sea of Cortez Lover going out for Fishing.
Most are set up with Fancy boats, Lots of Eletronic Ger to use instead of their own eyes and ers and Brains..

Seems as if a lot of the people coming down do not have any idea of the movement of Fish, the timing, etc.

There are lots of fish in the Sea of Cortez. Sometimes you just have to work a little Harder.

Question; I wonder how many Fisherman have ever been to Mercnerious Reef???
How many to Los Animas??

How many to Isla San Jose??

Skeet
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2010 at 07:18 AM

Skeet, I've been to Isla San Jose, Las Animas, and Isla San Francisco many times, thats my favorite area in Baja.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2010 at 07:46 AM

Mono: Have you been there when the small Yellofin are running.
I have never been to that area that I did not catch and see all kinds and lots of fish,

It was a long trip from Loreto and it was a major reason I sold my panga and got the Diesel wellcraft.

It seems as most of the fisherman coming down now do not or fail to take the time to seek our the good Fishing.
There are times when you can catch a ton of fish on the other side of Carmen down on the lower side of the Tip, other times of the year there is nothing.

Same thing with the Fishing Line from Catalana to Pt. Lobos. Just depends on the time of year and movement of the fish and Bait.

Some of the best fishing I have seen was two years ago out of Mulege, Fisherman just did not want to go that far out of Loreto I guess.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2010 at 08:01 AM

The last time we were at Las Animas it was summer and we caught a wahoo there. I usually catch a lot of pargo and cabrilla around the islands and reefs. There is always tons of bait to be had.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.