BajaNomad

Back for Round 2!

durangotang - 10-5-2010 at 07:28 PM

Hey all... I know I don't post up here much but it looks like I'm heading back down to the peninsula.

(my first trip... for those that may recall...http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=44643)

I'll be down there from about 10/27-11/3 and will be crossing in Mexicali and hanging around the San Felipe/Gonzaga/Canon de Guadelupe area. If anyone wants to meet up and go explore some more remote sites or check out some trails... sounds groovy.

I'm also looking for some decent directions for getting to Canon de Guadelupe from San Felipe... and I'm sure more questions will show up in the meantime...

How's everyone doing?

[Edited on 10-6-2010 by durangotang]

desertcpl - 10-6-2010 at 01:48 PM

DURANGO

got a question,, on your first post you mentioned that you went from San Quintin for San Felipe , I can find that route on any of my maps? I have the AAA map, baja almanac, and the National Geograhic map. what maps are you using

David K - 10-6-2010 at 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
DURANGO

got a question,, on your first post you mentioned that you went from San Quintin for San Felipe , I can find that route on any of my maps? I have the AAA map, baja almanac, and the National Geograhic map. what maps are you using

Durango's route (based on my reading and photos from his post) is the solid blue line. Another route, requires a short section of four wheeling, we took and did a road log: http://vivabaja.com/905 is the dashed line:

David K - 10-6-2010 at 05:56 PM

Quote:
thanks DK

but what map? can I find for this ,, am I missing something on my maps

2003-2007 edition AAA map.

desertcpl - 10-7-2010 at 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
thanks DK

but what map? can I find for this ,, am I missing something on my maps

2003-2007 edition AAA map.

DK
my AAA map is old,, where can I can a current one,, I live in yuma, we dont have a AAA office here

David K - 10-7-2010 at 08:33 AM

That road (between Valle de Trinidad and San Vicente) has been on all AAA maps for many, many years.

Last I heard, the AAA (Auto Club of Southern California) has stopped the mapping of Baja (seems members are affraid of Mexico or nobody has money to take a vacation)!

If anyone hears different, great... The one I have is dated 2003-2007.

It was available at Discover Baja Travel Club, book stores, etc. to non-mambers.

The best thing you can get now is the Baja Almanac or the National Geographic Baja Maps.

David K - 10-7-2010 at 03:13 PM

Ah, I just looked at my older AAA maps (1980-96) and I see that the road between San Vicente and Trinidad is not all there, just the two ends. Guess it was deemed too rough for them to drive it... So, on your older map, the west end on Hwy. 1 is 7 miles south of San Vicente at Rancho Llano Colorado and the east end is Valle de Trinidad.

It is shown completely on the 1978 AAA map... and once again on the 1997 and newer maps.

[Edited on 10-7-2010 by David K]

durangotang - 10-7-2010 at 06:11 PM

I don't know how much repairing they did on that road since I was there, but it was ROUGH. Large sections of it were missing and the bypasses were interesting to say the least. I had to dig out the riverbank in one place just to have a place to cross due to the washout from the floods. Personally, I wouldn't go back there without a capable 4x4.

David K - 10-7-2010 at 07:25 PM

A lot of roads and highways were damaged in the Jan. 2010 storm... 3 main bridges on Hwy. 1 washed away!

David K - 10-7-2010 at 07:35 PM

By-the-way, the San Felipe Hwy. to Guadalupe Canyon 'short cut' is a long, tough road... well about 20 miles from the shore of Laguna Salada across to Cohabuzo Jcn. is the tough section... silt and ruts. he rest is fast and graded.

You do know that the nice camp sites of Arturo's #1 at Guadalupe all no longer... His brother or other family members cut off his supply of hot water to force him out. The less private camps above or across the canyon are the only ones now... not that they deserve any business!

The GPS waypoints from Guadalupe to Hwy. 5 are on my GPS web page at ViavBaja.com The Hwy. 5 turnoff is at the sand dunes halfway between Mexicali and San Felipe, at the south end of the Salada elevated crossing levee.

durangotang - 10-7-2010 at 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
By-the-way, the San Felipe Hwy. to Guadalupe Canyon 'short cut' is a long, tough road... well about 20 miles from the shore of Laguna Salada across to Cohabuzo Jcn. is the tough section... silt and ruts. he rest is fast and graded.

You do know that the nice camp sites of Arturo's #1 at Guadalupe all no longer... His brother or other family members cut off his supply of hot water to force him out. The less private camps above or across the canyon are the only ones now... not that they deserve any business!

The GPS waypoints from Guadalupe to Hwy. 5 are on my GPS web page at ViavBaja.com The Hwy. 5 turnoff is at the sand dunes halfway between Mexicali and San Felipe, at the south end of the Salada elevated crossing levee.

OK I know the turnoff you're talking about at the southern crossing of Laguna Salada. I always had a suspicion that that was the road, but couldn't verify.

That's a bummer about the goings on in the Canon... I'll have to do some thinking about whether or not I want to give them any of my money... I loved those lower campsites...