BajaNomad

Marlin / big Tuna on a 12' Zodiac ?

amirravon - 10-16-2010 at 12:08 AM

I am Lucky to leave November 6th on a 60' privet boat from Marina Del Ray to a long trip to fish the Revillagigedo Islands / Socorro - San Benedicto and Roca Partida. I will stay at the San Jose Del Cabo Marina for 3 months ( We allowed to visit the islands 10 days each month ) and the owner and his friends / family will fly back to LA. So I have total of 60 days to fish solo the Gordo Banks ( 7 miles from the marina) on a 12' semi-rigid inflatable Zodiac dinghy powered w/15 HP Outboard. I have lot of fishing and sailing experience at the SOC and the pacific side but never fish south of Ensenada / Guadalupe island and south of Santa Rosalia at the SOC on a bigger boats. So no experience for me for the Cabo area whatsoever or fishing from a dinghy. I read a lot about fishing those waters and find out that i have a good shot near-shore for a big Tuna/Marlin, so here are some question for you guys with the experience.

How safe it is to fish the Gordo banks on a small dinghy in a good weather day?

Is a bait tank is a must or I can use lures / rapala etc. with good results ?

Is that possible / safe to fight a big Tuna / Marlin solo on a small dinghy ?

There is any way to temporarily attach a rod holders to a inflatable Zodiac dinghy ?

Any comment or tips will greatly appreciated. BTW I'm not planning on keeping any other fish except one Dorado for self consumption.

PS. sorry for my poor English , English is my second language. In a case that I will have access for internet connection I will update / report / Pictures from the islands and Cabo

Thanks again . Amir

[Edited on 10-16-2010 by amirravon]

amirravon - 10-16-2010 at 12:21 AM

UPDATE , The dinghy is 10' feet not 12' ....lol

Russ - 10-16-2010 at 02:01 AM

First, you write as well as any of us so don't sweat the English.
!0' is small and I'd stay within a couple miles of shore. For the type of fishing your talking about and your experience you probably could crew on a charter or private boat down there and pick up a few bucks on the side. I have no clue of the fishing situation down there so, hopefully, some one in the know well respond. Have fun!

amirravon - 10-16-2010 at 02:18 AM

Thanks Russ, BTW, I love your sunset pictures

monoloco - 10-16-2010 at 06:16 AM

I had a 10' Achilles R.I.B that I fished all over the Pacific and SOC coasts, It wasn't always the most comfortable thing, but was extremely sea worthy. You should have no problem accessing the Gordo Banks with such a boat. As for rod holders, I found that a plastic milk crate with 2" pvc pipe attached and lashed to the floor boards with a web strap worked well. Get some cedar plugs, Rapalas, and hula skirt type lures and you will catch all kinds of fish. Be sure to take some gloves (the yellow cloth ones with the rubber mesh), pliers, a short stout gaff, and a club.

mulegemichael - 10-16-2010 at 06:18 AM

given a good weather day you can successfully fish for the species you mentioned in your little boat...i have friends that have caught lots of billfish and dorado from their kayaks down there, believe it or not, so your inflatable will be fine...don't plan on running to gordo banks tho, as it's a long ways out...artificials will be fine, but there are portable bait tanks available for sardines, at least...go online for rod holders for inflatables, there are a lot of choices out there..have fun

Bob and Susan - 10-16-2010 at 06:20 AM

my question is...
have you driven that 10 footer to catalina yet

if not leave it home
get a bigger boat

my 23footer was sometimes too small for the pacific

there is no "vessel assist" the AAA of the ocean in mexico ( to speak of)
thatfar down

Just Remember

bajaguy - 10-16-2010 at 06:30 AM

...........the great line from the movie "Jaws"

........."You're gonna need a bigger boat"....... :lol:

dtutko1 - 10-16-2010 at 06:45 AM

Be careful gaffing that Dorado. It hasn't happened to me, but I've heard stories about inflatables and gaffs.

maspacifico - 10-16-2010 at 06:53 AM

Watch the wind, keep teeth and bills, and hooks and gaffs, away from the boat. Sounds like you have plenty of time so stay closer to shore for a few days until you are sure about the motor and how boat handles. You will catch plenty of fish without going all the way to Gordo. Bait will get more fish but I get enough for me with Rapala like lures. Watch the wind.

monoloco - 10-16-2010 at 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
given a good weather day you can successfully fish for the species you mentioned in your little boat...i have friends that have caught lots of billfish and dorado from their kayaks down there, believe it or not, so your inflatable will be fine...don't plan on running to gordo banks tho, as it's a long ways out...artificials will be fine, but there are portable bait tanks available for sardines, at least...go online for rod holders for inflatables, there are a lot of choices out there..have fun
The inner Gordo Bank is only 9 miles from the San Jose marina. A pretty easy run on a calm day, even in an inflatable.

mulegemichael - 10-16-2010 at 07:06 AM

"calm day" being the key phrase here...and the wind can come up mighty fast on the soc.

Cypress - 10-16-2010 at 07:31 AM

Quote:
the wind can come up mighty fast on the soc.

And that goes for just about any large body of water.

Curt63 - 10-16-2010 at 09:37 AM

How about a handheld VHF radio and a GPS unit?

Cypress - 10-16-2010 at 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Curt63
How about a handheld VHF radio and a GPS unit?

For safety?:?: You'll wish you were on a bigger boat. And that might be your last wish.

Skeet/Loreto - 10-16-2010 at 01:09 PM

Before you put yourself in Danger.

Take alook around and see what the other fisherman are using.
Mostly you will see a 22 Ft. Panga by the Locals.
I fished 38 years on the Sea Of Cortez 27 years of that was in a 22 Ft. Panga. To me anything shorter is not safe unless very close to Shore.

If you are going to Risk your Life an you will be, be Prepared, and realize that there is nobody to help you in an emergency. No Helios, No big Boats to come get you.

Skeet

why you need a bigger boat

desertcpl - 10-16-2010 at 01:14 PM

needbigboat.jpg - 31kB

Skeet/Loreto - 10-16-2010 at 01:20 PM

Another small Problem!

Let us say that you are out a couple of Miles in the Sea of Cortez when one of the little know "Whip Storm" comes up.
Here is the problem:
You will have to turn your boat into the wind where the waves will suddenly be 10 to 12 feet,as your Bow comes up and over the Wave you will be flipped over where shortly thereafter a Shark will arrive.

Now if you are in a Panga it is different where as the Bow comes up to the top of the Wave it will Cut Through and go to the Next wave,

Let me tell you, I have been there and it Scared the Hell out of Me.

BajaBruno - 10-16-2010 at 02:23 PM

I put hundreds of ocean miles on my 12' inflatable with 18HP OB and it was perfectly serviceable. Slow, bumpy, and wet sometimes, but safe for me. I threw out the inflatable tube thwart and used a web sand chair instead.

I would leave in the morning into the direction of the afternoon winds, so I had a following sea returning. It didn't always work out that way, but all that did was slow me down coming back.

I mounted rod holders on the wood transom, though Monoloco's idea would also be fine.

The biggest problem I experienced was that when stopped, the boat is pushed across the water by the slightest breeze, making bottom fishing difficult; and the boat has zero directional stability, so trolling in anything resembling a straight line took a lot of concentration (not my best asset). Lacking a fish finder was also a hardship, as it's nice to see what the bottom looks like.

You might have a problem with being towed around by a 300# blue marlin, but your chances of catching one aren't real good, so I wouldn't worry about it. I'd be more concerned about a wahoo taking a bite out of the side, but modern inflatables are inflated to enough pressure, with slick enough fabric, that I doubt even a wahoo could get a grip on it (I'm sure someone will disagree).

If you are an experienced boater, as you seem to be, you should have no problems having fun out there. You will quickly figure out where your comfort level is with the distance from shore.

Cypress - 10-16-2010 at 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBruno
If you are an experienced boater, as you seem to be, you should have no problems having fun out there. You will quickly figure out where your comfort level is with the distance from shore.

And if you don't? Adios!;D

Skeet/Loreto - 10-16-2010 at 03:46 PM

Bruno:
From your Words you have had a lot of experience and time on the Sea Of Cortez.

One of the things the Poster might miss in his 12 Ft Rubber Boat is the ability to go way out and say fish the line from Catalana to Pt. Lobos for yellowfin, Marlin, and Sailfish in October.

If your Boat is more stable you can do some things that you are unable to do in a Rubber Boat.

Anyway I give the guy a lot of credit going out and fishing in that thing.

I would also suggest to him that he spend some time with some of the old Time Mexicano fisherman and learn the water and Fish Habits. It will make his fishing more Productive!!

Anyway you go have a great time.

Skeet

amirravon - 10-16-2010 at 04:48 PM

Thanks for the advise guys..I have lot of time to learn that area before i will do the ride offshore with that dinghy...Any way i will defiantly rig it to do the gob on the big pelagic and go for it as soon I will feel comfortable to do it safe.

Thanks again for the advise.
Amir

monoloco - 10-16-2010 at 05:30 PM

Rigid hull inflatables are quite a bit more sea worthy than the old inflatable keel type Zodiacs. If you use the internet and local knowledge you can get a pretty good idea of what the wind conditions will be on any given day, if you use common sense you will have no problem fishing the Gordo banks in your inflatable boat. It will be a half hour run in flat conditions, if you start seeing white caps on the horizon start running back. Go for it and have a good time.

maspacifico - 10-16-2010 at 05:58 PM

monoloco has it right....that time of year, if it looks lousy it will get worse. Stay inside going North, if it's still ok then go for it, if not stay inside and ride the wind home. It will blow from the North til June. If the tin boat navy had a place to launch and camp at La Playita, Gordo Banks would be solid tin boats most morning. You'll have a great time even if you can't get out there and you'll find plenty to keep you happy closer.

wsdunc - 10-18-2010 at 12:26 PM

Run for shore as soon as you think the wind may come up. Otherwise enjoy the fishing. Near Punta Chivato we watched a guy in a small inflatable catching a sailfish. While he was doing this several other sailfish were circling the boat with their sails up. Quite the sight. I assume he was able to catch and release the sailfish, we were soon too busy with a double hookup on sailfish and had to take care of business ourselves.

GrOUper-GAr - 10-22-2010 at 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Quote:
the wind can come up mighty fast on the soc.

And that goes for just about any large body of water.

Listen to MULEGE-MIKE and SKEET.
the Wind/marine conditions in SOC/Cabo are WAY less predictable and frequently WAY more Gnarly than what is encountered here in Southern Califoria. A small boaters experience in SoCal doesn't immediately translate to southern Baja.

an ImpracTical TEST yes, but:
The News ladies are predicting a Santa Ana Wind early next week here (SoCal). Try going out 9 miles, turn off your 15hp, pull out your 1 paddle, and ROW yer F'n Brains out. You will be WHERE EVER the wind blows you.
Instant-life-on-the-line.
(a serious wake up Call)

---------Gordo Banks/ Solo / 10ft blow up Dingy ?------

By the time you are at the Gordo Banks and a North wind fires up. the reality IS: you are now fishing 200 miles offshore... ... MAZATLAN !

How safe it is to fish the Gordo banks on a small dinghy in a good weather day (you ask)?
With this question,
IF YOU HAVE TO ASK,
You're in too deep.

-GrOUpEr

amirravon - 10-23-2010 at 12:42 AM

Thank you guys, After i read your comments its really sound like a big deal to make it to the Gordo on a 10' inflatable, After so many outing 60 mile plus on my 19' center console in southern California waters its feel doable to me to make the 7 mile run out on the 10' dinghy, look like you guys prove me wrong and I trust yours experience.

How about make it only in a PERFECT weather days w/no wind or less than 10 knots ?

[Edited on 10-23-2010 by amirravon]

amirravon - 10-23-2010 at 12:49 AM

The funny thing about my first post was that my main concern was a marlin puncture the dinghy with his bill, lol

[Edited on 10-23-2010 by amirravon]

Russ - 10-23-2010 at 04:09 AM

I think it would be a high adventure to do in your dink but at least have a buddy boat close so you can pull the plug if conditions change fast.

Phil S - 10-23-2010 at 06:23 AM

The last five years, during two weeks of Thanksgiving in Cabo, I've watched the sun rise and the fishing fleet come out of the harbor (with binoculars) and head in every direction of the compass. I've seen days when only the "large" boats go out. Not once during those days have I seen anything smaller than the 22' panga go out. I've seen the seas in bad shape suddenly come up, and the boat's 'fighting' to get back to the marina with huge waves. I've only got one thing to say with NO dingy experience, if you have a family, and love them, take out an extra life insurance policy. Your idea sounds very foolish to me. One of the suggestions was to hang out at the marina and befriend a fellow boater. Maybe you could crew/fish with them.
A thrill is one thing. One upset usually is final!!!!!

Cypress - 10-23-2010 at 06:55 AM

Little boats on big water are a recipe for disaster.

shari - 10-23-2010 at 07:02 AM

Hey Amir...you crazy bugger...like others have said, when you get to Cabo and start hanging out at the marina and getting to know boat owners, I'm pretty sure you will be able to score a crew position and learn more about the fishing techniques in that area.

Now about the SEMI rigid hull...does that mean it has wood floorboards or does it have a fiberglass bottom/hull? I spent many hours in a small inflatable on the west coast of vancouver island in very snotty weather and they are seaworthy...wet, scary and bouncy but even taking water over the bow with the drain plugs out, they can handle big stuff and don capsize easily. The do puncture so it is important to know if you have communicating chambers so if one happens to deflate, you still are afloat with other chambers...zodiac brand has this feature and some cheaper knock offs do not.

A good VHF handheld in a waterproof jacket MAY save your life. There is alot of vessel traffic there so chances are someone will be around to rescue you in the event of danger. Also make sure you tell someone on shore where you are going and about when you will be back so if you are stuck out there, someone knows about where to look for you.

You are going to have a grand adventure amigo...keep in touch y suerte!!!

update from SJDC

amirravon - 12-28-2010 at 09:28 PM

I almost forget about this post , After 2 months in SJDC and 3 more months head , visiting the inner and outer gordo banks almost every day catching and realise 4 striped marlin (one try to charge the dinghy), 2 wahoo , 8 yellow fin tuna, about 15 dorado, lots of skippys, tens of sierra. toro, dog snapers, and bonitos plus lots of close encounters with sharks and wheals...and one solo two day trip to Cabo san Lucas, I can say is safe to do it with a 10' dinghy if you have some on the water experience on one of the big oceans. I spent every day more than 6 hours except 2 days with strong northern winds. weather here is very good and the wind is calm in the early morning hours...clean blue water, great sunrises and sunsets. I will post a detailed trip report w /pictures as soon I will have a good internet connection . Thanks for the advise dear baja nomads...Happy new year and if you around the puerto los cabos marina you welcome for a cold one....

P.S
Sorry for my poor English

Amir

R.I.P Carlos Fiesta R.I.P Carlos Fiesta

amirravon - 12-28-2010 at 09:44 PM

BTW Shari, You are so right . I really have a "grand adventure"

mcfez - 12-30-2010 at 08:25 PM

I have a rig that is a duplicate of the one used in "The Baja Catch".

Taking it past 3 miles from shore....wont happen! The winds kick in without notice and then the swells are right there before you can say "let's get the hell out of here".

This Viking has screamed like a little girl a few times, out there in the unpredictable Sea of Cortez.

Please be careful.

[Edited on 12-31-2010 by mcfez]

amirravon - 12-30-2010 at 08:40 PM

Thanks for the advise Viking. I already find out today afternoon how unpredictable is the sea of cortez, and learn the lesson very good. I have never was so happy before to make it to the marina like today( wet and tired). The yellow tails are here in Los Cabos and I'm happy and safe.

Thanks again.

Amir

BajaBruno - 12-30-2010 at 11:48 PM

I had faith in you and your dingy, Amir. Sounds like you have had a lot of fun and caught a bunch of nice fish. With any adventure, there will always be people who will say that it can't be done, that it's too dangerous, and that you are a fool--then, there are all the people before you who have done it, had a blast, and lived to tell the tales. Now, you have some more great tales to tell.

Good times and enjoy the new year.

Bruno

woody with a view - 1-2-2011 at 08:01 AM

i had a buddy fishing offshore abreojos in his inflatable. he went out pretty far and the wind came up. he said it scared the %#$& out of him. everytime he turned for shore the wind would pick up the bow and whip him around facing the horizon as he had no weight in the bow. he finally rigged up his rod to extend the tiller? and was able to lay in the front to hold the bow down into the wind and make his way to shore. he says, with the terror still in his eyes, there was a bouy out there that he used for a marker and for 15 minutes he was loosing ground while wide open, literally being blown out to see with the engine screaming for shore.

he lived. but he got rid of the inflatable....:lol:

[Edited on 1-2-2011 by woody with a view]