BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Marlin / big Tuna on a 12' Zodiac ?
amirravon
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2010 at 12:08 AM
Marlin / big Tuna on a 12' Zodiac ?

I am Lucky to leave November 6th on a 60' privet boat from Marina Del Ray to a long trip to fish the Revillagigedo Islands / Socorro - San Benedicto and Roca Partida. I will stay at the San Jose Del Cabo Marina for 3 months ( We allowed to visit the islands 10 days each month ) and the owner and his friends / family will fly back to LA. So I have total of 60 days to fish solo the Gordo Banks ( 7 miles from the marina) on a 12' semi-rigid inflatable Zodiac dinghy powered w/15 HP Outboard. I have lot of fishing and sailing experience at the SOC and the pacific side but never fish south of Ensenada / Guadalupe island and south of Santa Rosalia at the SOC on a bigger boats. So no experience for me for the Cabo area whatsoever or fishing from a dinghy. I read a lot about fishing those waters and find out that i have a good shot near-shore for a big Tuna/Marlin, so here are some question for you guys with the experience.

How safe it is to fish the Gordo banks on a small dinghy in a good weather day?

Is a bait tank is a must or I can use lures / rapala etc. with good results ?

Is that possible / safe to fight a big Tuna / Marlin solo on a small dinghy ?

There is any way to temporarily attach a rod holders to a inflatable Zodiac dinghy ?

Any comment or tips will greatly appreciated. BTW I'm not planning on keeping any other fish except one Dorado for self consumption.

PS. sorry for my poor English , English is my second language. In a case that I will have access for internet connection I will update / report / Pictures from the islands and Cabo

Thanks again . Amir

[Edited on 10-16-2010 by amirravon]

amirravon
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2010 at 12:21 AM

UPDATE , The dinghy is 10' feet not 12' ....lol

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2010 at 02:01 AM

First, you write as well as any of us so don't sweat the English.
!0' is small and I'd stay within a couple miles of shore. For the type of fishing your talking about and your experience you probably could crew on a charter or private boat down there and pick up a few bucks on the side. I have no clue of the fishing situation down there so, hopefully, some one in the know well respond. Have fun!

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
amirravon
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2010 at 02:18 AM

Thanks Russ, BTW, I love your sunset pictures
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2010 at 06:16 AM

I had a 10' Achilles R.I.B that I fished all over the Pacific and SOC coasts, It wasn't always the most comfortable thing, but was extremely sea worthy. You should have no problem accessing the Gordo Banks with such a boat. As for rod holders, I found that a plastic milk crate with 2" pvc pipe attached and lashed to the floor boards with a web strap worked well. Get some cedar plugs, Rapalas, and hula skirt type lures and you will catch all kinds of fish. Be sure to take some gloves (the yellow cloth ones with the rubber mesh), pliers, a short stout gaff, and a club.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 10-16-2010 at 06:18 AM

given a good weather day you can successfully fish for the species you mentioned in your little boat...i have friends that have caught lots of billfish and dorado from their kayaks down there, believe it or not, so your inflatable will be fine...don't plan on running to gordo banks tho, as it's a long ways out...artificials will be fine, but there are portable bait tanks available for sardines, at least...go online for rod holders for inflatables, there are a lot of choices out there..have fun

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 10-16-2010 at 06:20 AM

my question is...
have you driven that 10 footer to catalina yet

if not leave it home
get a bigger boat

my 23footer was sometimes too small for the pacific

there is no "vessel assist" the AAA of the ocean in mexico ( to speak of)
thatfar down

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-16-2010 at 06:30 AM
Just Remember

...........the great line from the movie "Jaws"

........."You're gonna need a bigger boat"....... :lol:

dtutko1
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2010 at 06:45 AM

Be careful gaffing that Dorado. It hasn't happened to me, but I've heard stories about inflatables and gaffs.

Dorado Don
maspacifico
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2010 at 06:53 AM

Watch the wind, keep teeth and bills, and hooks and gaffs, away from the boat. Sounds like you have plenty of time so stay closer to shore for a few days until you are sure about the motor and how boat handles. You will catch plenty of fish without going all the way to Gordo. Bait will get more fish but I get enough for me with Rapala like lures. Watch the wind.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2010 at 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
given a good weather day you can successfully fish for the species you mentioned in your little boat...i have friends that have caught lots of billfish and dorado from their kayaks down there, believe it or not, so your inflatable will be fine...don't plan on running to gordo banks tho, as it's a long ways out...artificials will be fine, but there are portable bait tanks available for sardines, at least...go online for rod holders for inflatables, there are a lot of choices out there..have fun
The inner Gordo Bank is only 9 miles from the San Jose marina. A pretty easy run on a calm day, even in an inflatable.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 10-16-2010 at 07:06 AM

"calm day" being the key phrase here...and the wind can come up mighty fast on the soc.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 10-16-2010 at 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
the wind can come up mighty fast on the soc.

And that goes for just about any large body of water.
Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 10-16-2010 at 09:37 AM

How about a handheld VHF radio and a GPS unit?

No worries
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2010 at 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Curt63
How about a handheld VHF radio and a GPS unit?

For safety?:?: You'll wish you were on a bigger boat. And that might be your last wish.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2010 at 01:09 PM

Before you put yourself in Danger.

Take alook around and see what the other fisherman are using.
Mostly you will see a 22 Ft. Panga by the Locals.
I fished 38 years on the Sea Of Cortez 27 years of that was in a 22 Ft. Panga. To me anything shorter is not safe unless very close to Shore.

If you are going to Risk your Life an you will be, be Prepared, and realize that there is nobody to help you in an emergency. No Helios, No big Boats to come get you.

Skeet
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2010 at 01:14 PM
why you need a bigger boat

needbigboat.jpg - 31kB
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2010 at 01:20 PM

Another small Problem!

Let us say that you are out a couple of Miles in the Sea of Cortez when one of the little know "Whip Storm" comes up.
Here is the problem:
You will have to turn your boat into the wind where the waves will suddenly be 10 to 12 feet,as your Bow comes up and over the Wave you will be flipped over where shortly thereafter a Shark will arrive.

Now if you are in a Panga it is different where as the Bow comes up to the top of the Wave it will Cut Through and go to the Next wave,

Let me tell you, I have been there and it Scared the Hell out of Me.
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 10-16-2010 at 02:23 PM

I put hundreds of ocean miles on my 12' inflatable with 18HP OB and it was perfectly serviceable. Slow, bumpy, and wet sometimes, but safe for me. I threw out the inflatable tube thwart and used a web sand chair instead.

I would leave in the morning into the direction of the afternoon winds, so I had a following sea returning. It didn't always work out that way, but all that did was slow me down coming back.

I mounted rod holders on the wood transom, though Monoloco's idea would also be fine.

The biggest problem I experienced was that when stopped, the boat is pushed across the water by the slightest breeze, making bottom fishing difficult; and the boat has zero directional stability, so trolling in anything resembling a straight line took a lot of concentration (not my best asset). Lacking a fish finder was also a hardship, as it's nice to see what the bottom looks like.

You might have a problem with being towed around by a 300# blue marlin, but your chances of catching one aren't real good, so I wouldn't worry about it. I'd be more concerned about a wahoo taking a bite out of the side, but modern inflatables are inflated to enough pressure, with slick enough fabric, that I doubt even a wahoo could get a grip on it (I'm sure someone will disagree).

If you are an experienced boater, as you seem to be, you should have no problems having fun out there. You will quickly figure out where your comfort level is with the distance from shore.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2010 at 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBruno
If you are an experienced boater, as you seem to be, you should have no problems having fun out there. You will quickly figure out where your comfort level is with the distance from shore.

And if you don't? Adios!;D
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.