BajaNomad

San Felipe to Mulege (SP) How long once the new road is open?

CortezBlue - 10-25-2010 at 12:12 PM

Yes David K I probably spelled Mulege wrong, so you don't have to comment on it.

After reading a few articles about the new road from Puertocitos to Hwy 1 getting close to being finished in 2012, or so, does anyone have any ideas how long it would take to drive to Mulege after the road is finished?

Brian L - 10-25-2010 at 12:43 PM

Also, which would be faster?

Even after reading some posts about it, I'm still confused as to what is being constructed.

Could someone (Master David K with Maps) make a map that has little notes showing what is open already, and what will be open soon?

bajalou - 10-25-2010 at 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue
Yes David K I probably spelled Mulege wrong, so you don't have to comment on it.

After reading a few articles about the new road from Puertocitos to Hwy 1 getting close to being finished in 2012, or so, does anyone have any ideas how long it would take to drive to Mulege after the road is finished?

Probably depends on where you are coming from. From San Diego I would expect Tijuana and Hghy1 would be fastest. From the east - Az, Tx, Co. etc. Mexicali and Hghy5 should be faster.

From San Felipe, it has been faster via Gonzaga even without new paving.

[Edited on 10-25-2010 by bajalou]

CortezBlue - 10-25-2010 at 01:45 PM

Yes, exactly, from AZ it is faster. And from my casa in San Felipe it will be and is faster.

To answer the question where the road is currently, there was a post from McFez that addresses this question, see below:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=48675

David K - 10-25-2010 at 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue

You spelled Mulege fine, but you blew it on Puertecitos! LOL (as do many, including book authors).

San Felipe to Mulege... via all paved roads?

Now, means you drive the 152 miles to Ensenada then south 550 miles, for a total of 702 miles... driving time ~14 hours.

Future, via Gonzaga Bay: San Felipe to Laguna Chapala is 136 miles plus Laguna Chapala to Mulege= 287 miles for a total of 423 miles or ~9 hours driving average time.

Today via Ensenada is 702 miles/14 hour VS. Future via Gonzaga Bay at 423 miles or ~9 hours.

A difference of 279 miles and 5 hours.

Bajahowodd - 10-25-2010 at 02:32 PM

I have to admit that I was skeptical. But it sounds like they are serious about this project.

That reminds me of the so-called plans to pave the road from San Ignacio down through San Juanico, on to Insurgentes. Anyone know something about that?

honda tom - 10-30-2010 at 10:20 PM

Asphalt is 20 miles from gonzaga now. From here to hwy 1 it will progress quickly (flat and few things in the way). asphalt is continuing from san ignacio toward laguna