BajaNomad

Baja Grande Jeep Buildup (with photos)

Ken Cooke - 11-21-2010 at 09:16 AM

Yes, it is another BajaNomad 4WD Baja Jeep buildup thread. But, this thread is not without a little storytelling...Baja style, that is.:yes:

Mike was at one time, the owner of a magnificent 2007 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited. The Jeep could go anywhere (in Baja), that Mike pointed it. It's long wheelbase was at times a hinderance, but Mike's ability to store 1 week's worth of gear for the Baja Grande 4WD event made that liability disappear.

Mike ran into some challenges with the finance company, and he recently had to sell the Rubicon. Gone with this vehicle was the Airaid Intake, Viair On Board Air system, Full-Traction Suspension, NEW oversized Xtreme All-Terrain tires, Body Armor bumpers and rear tire carrier, etc.

On Thursday evening, I saw the Jeep here in Riverside during my wife's commute to Adult School. While the Jeep was not spotted in Baja on one of it's dusty trails, at least it still had that menacing appearance as it turned onto Madison Avenue headed towards the 91 Freeway during rush hour.:O

Ambling up La Turquesa Mine 4WD Road

Ken Cooke - 11-21-2010 at 09:21 AM

It takes a rugged vehicle to make this trek without problems. Mike's JK Unlimited Rubicon did whatever was asked of it.

Mike standing next to his garage-built Baja Beast!:O:fire::O

Short Weekend Trip To Anza Borrego

Ken Cooke - 11-21-2010 at 09:29 AM

While Baja always tops the outback itinerary, local trips to the Desert and Mountains have always been fit into our collective schedules.

The Jeep Rubicon as a PROVEN Baja-capable platform

Ken Cooke - 11-21-2010 at 09:32 AM

Are there naysayers to this thread? Dare they speak up? My short wheelbase Jeep Rubicon was challenged to a challenging hill climb competition by a Toyota Land Cruiser driven by this owner's wife. She challenged, and I didn't back down.

Because I'm not the type of individual to laugh at other's vehicles, nor do I put others down for the type of vehicle they choose to drive, I had to confront this elephant in the room.

While Mike did not choose to let his JK go, he welcomed his LJ with open arms. This takes us to examine the parts that will go into this Baja Grande LJ Buildup for 2010/2011!

The JK Platform only had this minor flaw associated with the steering stabilizer location.

Ken Cooke - 11-21-2010 at 09:40 AM

The steering stabilizer is in a location that can bent and will rip off the associated lower steering apparatus if not protected by a Rancho part that had yet to be developed.

Repair field work on Thanksgiving day - 2007 at Ralph Shoemaker's Garage - Rancho Santa Ines.

The repairwork went so well, Mike was able to spend the rest of the trip doing what he loves best...playing in the mud!:lol:

bajalou - 11-21-2010 at 09:41 AM

I recall Mike and his jeep when we were checking out El Canelo a few years ago. And it carried some tires to me on one of your Baja Grande Tours.

New suspension - Rubicon Express 3.5" Lift kit

Ken Cooke - 11-21-2010 at 09:51 AM

Mike's LJ Rubicon will have the 3.5" Rubicon Express (standard) lift installed. This is typically a 3 hour install job.

The parts as shown:

Components shown are:
RE1145 - SWAY BAR END LINK, FRONT
RE1155 - SWAY BAR END LINKS REAR TJ
RE1172 - DISCONNECT ADAPTERS TJ/ZJ 96+
RE1363 - COIL SPRINGS TJ 3.5" FRONT/PA
RE1365 - COIL SPRINGS TJ 3.5" REAR/PAI
RE1380 - BUMPSTOPS 2" FRONT LOWER
RE1385 - BUMPSTOPS 2" TJ REAR UPPER
RE1603 - TRACK BAR BRACKET TJ REAR W/O
RE2100 - T-CASE LOWERING KIT YJ/TJ 1"

The Rubicon Express Track Bar will make Mike's alignment go much easier. Plus, these parts wear out when combined with tough Baja terrain.

Daystar makes a 3/4" Coil Spacer leveling kit which we will install in concert with the 3.5" Rubicon Express lift, netting a total lift of 5" front-end lift!:bounce:

Now, Mike's 33" Tires won't rub on the fenders when the swaybar is disconnected.

Daystar coil spacer lift

Features:

•ComfortRide™ Suspension Coil Spring Spacer Kit
•High Density Progressive Polyurethane
•Lifts Vehicles Without Sacrificing Ride Quality or Load-Carrying Capacity
•Easiest Way to Add Larger Off-Road Tires & Wheels
•Maximum recommended tire size: stock
•Improves Ground Clearance
•Limited Lifetime Warranty
•Front Lift Only; Budget Boost Kit
•Use With or As Factory Isolators

Ken Cooke - 11-21-2010 at 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
I recall Mike and his jeep when we were checking out El Canelo a few years ago. And it carried some tires to me on one of your Baja Grande Tours.

Mike is a real nice guy, and one of my best friends. He is such a nice guy that he gets invited all the time to 4WD events, trips, dinners, etc. He is always ready and willing to help out.

Thankfully, after his JK uprooting, he is able to step into a great used vehicle and has the means to UP THE ANTE with proven products that will get him back into the action again.

Mike in Anza Borrego

[Edited on 11-21-2010 by Ken Cooke]

Ken Cooke - 11-21-2010 at 10:02 AM

New Smittybilt bumper!:bounce:

Mike installed these bumpers on his LJ, and reports that the rear bumper did a great job pulling his quad trailer out to the desert recently. Mike also rides quads when not Jeeping.

David K - 11-21-2010 at 01:03 PM

A real shame Mike had to sell the Rubicon...

wessongroup - 11-21-2010 at 01:09 PM

Hey, Ken... thanks for sharing and all the work...

Ken Cooke - 11-21-2010 at 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

He was not happy about this money-letting, but it was all part of the (Baja) journey, I guess. He is excited about the buildup which will take place on Friday. I plan on photographing all of the steps we go through to make his Jeep ready for Baja Grande 2011.

Ken Cooke - 11-21-2010 at 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
Hey, Ken... thanks for sharing and all the work...

Stay tuned, Wessongroup. This will indeed be a photo thread. I plan on posting numerous photographs related to the buildup as Mikes Jeep prepares to play with the big kids.

David K - 11-21-2010 at 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:

He was not happy about this money-letting, but it was all part of the (Baja) journey, I guess. He is excited about the buildup which will take place on Friday. I plan on photographing all of the steps we go through to make his Jeep ready for Baja Grande 2011.

I am confused... I thought he had to sell the Jeep? Did he already get another?

Ken Cooke - 11-21-2010 at 01:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I am confused... I thought he had to sell the Jeep? Did he already get another?

Mike doesn't waste time when it has to do with off-road adventures. In May the '07 JK was sold. In October, an '06 was purchased and delivered (via CarMax). Sorry for the confusion. Mike had some divorce drama which prevented him from keeping the '07. Baja will be prize. Getting there will be part of the fun.

David K - 11-21-2010 at 01:24 PM

Okay... him getting another Jeep was missing from your post! Good News!!

Hope he finds a new lady that won't make him choose between her and his Jeep! ;)

Rubicon Express install

Ken Cooke - 11-27-2010 at 06:45 AM

Mikes Jeep has been proven throughout the backcountry of Death Valley and Panamint Valley, but with the lack of clearance provided by his P245 :o tires, a suspension lift with 33"x12.5"r15s is the only way he plans to roll.

Stock with desert pinstriping

Parked next to my "Baja Tomb Raider" w/4.5" of lift, 33" tires

Not much clearance under that gasoline tank skid plate

Only the "good stuff"

Ken Cooke - 11-27-2010 at 06:52 AM

Let's get started...:bounce:

Kevin, Mike, and I turned wrenches from early morning to late afternoon. Sadly, we only tackled the front axle installation within that prescribed amount of time. Here is a run through of our installation.

Kevin (right) and Mike (left) getting started

At the heart of it all - 3" lifted coil springs over standard ride height comprise the core of this suspension lift kit. A heavier coil with a much greater spring rate will increase control over places like the Zoo Road, the dirt route to Gonzaga Bay (or what is left of it), and the Mission Impossible trail.

Ken Cooke - 11-27-2010 at 06:57 AM

20 ton removal of a rust-hardened sway bar link:o

KER-POWWWWW!!!!:!:

Enlargement of the Panhard Bar Bracket

Spectators raisin' a roost!

[Edited on 11-27-2010 by Ken Cooke]

Almost finished...

Ken Cooke - 11-27-2010 at 07:00 AM

TROUBLE ON THE DRIVE HOME!

Ken Cooke - 11-27-2010 at 07:10 AM

Mike casually planned to have his Rubicon aligned at the local tire shop, but those plans became more urgent along the drive home.

At speeds over 35 m.p.h., a violent oscillation was present indicating improper alignment, and possibly an under powered steering stabilizer.

Mike limped home safely, and he plans to get his Jeep aligned before installing the rear suspension lift.

David K - 11-27-2010 at 09:28 AM

Good photos of the process Ken... Let's hope it ends well... and lifted!

bajalou - 11-27-2010 at 09:31 AM

The rear lift might effect the "angle of dangle" on the front and change front alignment. Also, after all that work changing suspension, might want to have the rear alignment checked also since it's going on the highways quite a bit.

Edited for spelling.

[Edited on 11-27-2010 by bajalou]

Ken Cooke - 11-27-2010 at 09:56 AM

Thanks, Lou. If Mike can hold off from aligning the Jeep, perhaps Kevin will trailer Mike's Jeep back to his shop. On a side note, I advised Mike on getting a Lifetime alignment policy on his new Jeep. My lifetime policy paid for itself in 2005!

The buildup continues!

Ken Cooke - 12-4-2010 at 10:58 PM

The Rubicon Express 3.5" Standard suspension is a "simple, bolt-on" kit that was anything but "simple" in its' installation. But, the final product lifted Mike's Jeep high enough to run 33" tires, and take through the backcountry of Baja without fear of getting stuck.

Rubicon Express install - continued!

Ken Cooke - 12-10-2010 at 08:38 PM

Let's get down to business..

Ken Cooke - 12-10-2010 at 08:42 PM

Extending the rear swaybar links

Lifting the rear Trackbar mount

Let the welding begin!!!

Ken Cooke - 12-10-2010 at 08:46 PM

Modifying the trackbar

Ken Cooke - 12-10-2010 at 08:49 PM

Installing everything...final thoughts.

Ken Cooke - 12-10-2010 at 08:51 PM

The finished product!:bounce:

Ken Cooke - 12-10-2010 at 08:54 PM

Next will be installation of the 33" tires and new wheels. In order to make the Jeep outback-ready, a new tire carrier with provisions for gas cans and ice chest are needed. The new Rancho shocks perform well on the road, but the new climb-in height is a challenge for Mike. Maybe, a set of steps are needed for him in the future...

(More buildup photos to follow...)

David K - 12-11-2010 at 09:28 AM

Wow looks great! Seeing all that work and expense makes me glad I can buy a stock TRD Off Road Tacoma and take it right to places like Mision Santa Maria without doing any mods! Of course, a little lift may have helped avoid some minor body damage! What a road!!

BAJACAT - 12-11-2010 at 10:18 AM

David it's that road in 2011 agenda... and what about the Motomi run...That was alot fun maybe we an get Gadget to come out of hidding..

sorry Ken I din't want to steal your post...
I see Bajagrande is on for 2011 also

[Edited on 12-11-2010 by BAJACAT]

Ken Cooke - 12-11-2010 at 10:31 AM

Quote:
Wow looks great! Seeing all that work and expense makes me glad I can buy a stock TRD Off Road Tacoma and take it right to places like Mision Santa Maria without doing any mods! Of course, a little lift may have helped avoid some minor body damage! What a road!!

The only modification required for a standard height Rubicon to make the run to Mision Sta Maria is protection for the oil pan. But, with careful driving, this part is only a recommendation.

The TRD Tacoma is a great-looking and performing pickup. The non-TRD Tacoma that 'Frigatebird' drove on the 2008 Baja Grande with its street tires, and street-optimized ride height was no match for Mision Santa Maria. :( He had to back out of the run until his Tacoma had better tires and more suspension lift.

We also had a non-TRD 4 Runner that bumped and banged its' way out of Mission Santa Maria in 2007. The driver was determined to make it back to Hwy 1, but repeated trips like that could have damaged the vehicle since a rear locking differential works much better than a semi-functioning limited slip unit. TRD being the operative word here is very helpful in being the 'Trail Rated' equivalent of any Toyota product.

TMW - 12-11-2010 at 10:53 AM

See that white Toyota in the pix above, the only thing that stopped it from going anywhere was a bus. My new one should be ready next week sometime. Probably go to Death Valley or Mojave Trail.

Ken Cooke - 12-12-2010 at 07:22 PM

Quote:
Seeing all that work and expense makes me glad I can buy a stock TRD Off Road Tacoma and take it right to places like Mision Santa Maria without doing any mods!

David - I asked Mike today why he did not choose a Tacoma in which to build for Baja. He said, "The FJ Cruiser, for example uses ALL PLASTIC for the rear bumper, and I'm not going to drive a truck made out of PLASTIC." He has issues with Toyota build quality and how Toyota warranties their vehicles when you modify them.

Mike plans on driving this Jeep until the wheels fall off, so modification is not a problem with him.

David K - 12-12-2010 at 11:38 PM

apples to oranges... a stock base Tacoma is like driving a Jeep Patriot or Compass, and doesn't belong on the Santa Maria run.

I drove my truck with its stock tires, stock everything, when it was 5 months old to Mision Santa Maria and back. The rear bumper did get caught on a rock ledge as I was dropping down a short grade (dropoff) but you expect just a tad of underbody damage from that road... my other two Tacomas also got small dents on the underpanel from big rocks we need to drive over. Only damage to my three Tacomas occured on the Mision Santa Maria road, in fact!

I was talking about a 4WD Off Road TRD Tacoma (bumpers are chrome not plastic) to a Jeep Rubicon... both off the showroom. I found that Toyota quality far outshines any American product... and you know I like Jeeps as a rule (I used to own one and my dad had two)... but who can afford them the way they are made now, always breaking down (or needing mods to trail)?

I have now had three Tacomas, total driving of 256,000 miles in over 10 years... never a breakdown or never in the shop for repairs preventing me from going to Baja. Neal Johns and many other Tacoma drivers on Amigos de Baja really talked me up on Tacomas before I got my first one... and I still went to the Ford dealer first to check out a Ranger (you had a Ranger then, too)... The wouldn't take my van in on a trade, so I went to Toyota Carldbad next... and it was soooo easy and not a bad thing was said about my trade in... and that was over 10 years ago... The same salesman is still with them.

My 2010 Tacoma turned one year old, six days ago... other than a drip that was fixed when it was brand new, it has never had any warantee type issue, squeeks, rattle, failures in the past year/ 18,600 miles... with 5 Baja trips, a Borrego trip, and local 4 wheeling runs with other Tacoma owners.

Oh, what a feeling! ;)

David K - 12-13-2010 at 08:49 AM

Hey Ken... Have you seen this Jeep Rubicon motorhome?: http://www.caranddriver.com/features/09q4/the_hard_way_to_he...

Jeep build quality? Toyota hype? How about 7 years and two medium-level repairs?

Ken Cooke - 12-13-2010 at 05:42 PM

Quote:
I found that Toyota quality far outshines any American product... and you know I like Jeeps as a rule (I used to own one and my dad had two)... but who can afford them the way they are made now, always breaking down (or needing mods to trail)?

David, better check to see if your Tacoma has a recall?? :lol::bounce:

http://www.internetautoguide.com/10-12-2010-79-1251/2010-toy...
OCT 05, 2009 | Recall ID# 9292 :o
FEB 03, 2010 | Recall ID# 29439 :O
FEB 03, 2010 | Recall ID# 62362 :lol:
FEB 18, 2010 | Recall ID# 74118 :yes:

With Toyota's, there seems to be a great deal of hype. Mike made his decision based upon his desire to enjoy "Off-Roading" with Jeep clubs, not just mild-terrain dirt roads that lead to campsites. For that reason, I believe he made the choice to go with a Rubicon-level Jeep instead of a Tacoma pickup. I *DID* recommend to him the TRD Tacoma based on his type of off-roading, but he said the Toyota brand wasn't focused on dirt/rocks like Jeep is. Look at the Toyota warranty small-print if you don't believe me.

I think for mild-type off-road situations, the Tacoma is excellent. The Ranger is a piece of...well, junk. Mechanically, my Rubicon has had issues with its' fuel evap sender unit, two mode A/C switches and two O2 sensors after 110,000 mi. This is after 7 years of hard off-road use.

Oh, I bent the rims, punctured one tire, broke the frame where the tire carrier attaches, bent a steering knuckle on a boulder, trashed a tie-rod on another boulder, broke a fender flare on a boulder, but that was while having fun, not on the daily commute or anything.

David K - 12-13-2010 at 06:02 PM

No recalls on any of my Tacomas for 'defects'. They want to change my gas pedal 'just in case' I want to put two or three floor mats on the same side! :lol: I said no thank you, the truck is perfect... and it is.

You do have to get over the 'because it is a Jeep' it can off road thing... The word and history are great... but quality of American brand vehicles still needs work. How do you take being in the same place with Neal Johns... now he is Mr. Super Tacoma, more than I?!

Made in America doesn't mean what it used to... Anyway, my Tacoma is made in Baja... and so far, so good! Built in 'the Baja' for 'the Baja'! (sounds Canadian, 'eh?). Sometimes we need to look beyond our borders for the best in things... You have! :yes:;D

Ken Cooke - 12-13-2010 at 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David KYou do have to get over the 'because it is a Jeep' it can off road thing...

I'm thinking of the breather tube issue Neal had on the Mission trail. For a brand reknown in the developing world for its' toughness, why would Toyota overlook such an obvious flaw? This cost Neal hundreds of dollars that comes standard with a lowly Jeep.

On my drive home from work everyday, I travel past the Icon Vehicle Dynamics shop *and* Toyota of Riverside. I honk at the Toyota protesters, because the Toyoda family appear to be greedy fatcats, IMO.

Question - Why do you think people build Toyotas when they work so great off-road? http://www.iconvehicledynamics.com/gallery/

David K - 12-13-2010 at 07:37 PM

Okay Ken... I may be speaking in too general of terms when I say I KNOW the quality of Toyota is about as high as you can get without paying Mercedes prices... In fact, the best and most trouble free vehicles I have owned rate something like this:
GROUP A:
1) Toyota
2) Subaru
3) Mitsubishi
4) Mazda

Then I rate the absolute worst cars as far as failures, breakdowns, repair costs that I have owned (this does not mean they drove bad when they worked, only at the LOW quality of workmanship and materials):
GROUP B:
1) Jeep
2) Plymouth

What does Group A have in common? Japanese brands.

What does group B have in common? American brands.

As for what happened on the Santa Maria trail, you have a couple things mixed up... the breather tube is something I added for next time. My differential had been contaminated (per the tech). No breakdown occured on my truck, as I already stated. You are correct, the rear differential breather should be higher than 18" off the ground... bad Toyota for not doing it right like they did on the front differential breather (which is near the battery). See me differential breather mod photos: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/111954-my-di...

Neal's Ring Gear gave up... I dion't know if it was a stock differentail or after market.. but did you see the weight he was hauling on that Tacoma? So, that was the failure... and Neal is super hard on his Tacomas, as you know.

There is just NO ROOM in a Jeep Wrangler of CJ for enough camping gear or for my work needs... The Tacoma truck is just the right size.

Frigatebird - 12-13-2010 at 08:13 PM

Quote:
...The TRD Tacoma is a great-looking and performing pickup. The non-TRD Tacoma that 'Frigatebird' drove on the 2008 Baja Grande with its street tires, and street-optimized ride height was no match for Mision Santa Maria. :( He had to back out of the run until his Tacoma had better tires and more suspension lift...

Ken, don't you know discretion is the better part of valor? ;) Could my rig have made it? Probably not without a tug, and some undercarriage damage to boot. Could a non-TRD Tacoma use some upgrades? Absolutely, but "no match for Mission Santa Maria"?, I don't know.

Next time down, my soon-to-be upgraded rig will finally get 'er done.

NEW SHOES!

Ken Cooke - 12-14-2010 at 06:06 PM

Mike didn't go the "WIMPY ALL-TERRAIN" route - not since blowing a BFG AT/KO sidewall on the Pole Line Road. He went with the technological bad-boy of the Jeep Tire world - Goodyear's MTR w/Kevlar sidewalls!

...as always, photos to follow...:bounce:

[Edited on 12-15-2010 by Ken Cooke]

David K - 12-14-2010 at 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Frigatebird
Quote:
...The TRD Tacoma is a great-looking and performing pickup. The non-TRD Tacoma that 'Frigatebird' drove on the 2008 Baja Grande with its street tires, and street-optimized ride height was no match for Mision Santa Maria. :( He had to back out of the run until his Tacoma had better tires and more suspension lift...

Ken, don't you know discretion is the better part of valor? ;) Could my rig have made it? Probably not without a tug, and some undercarriage damage to boot. Could a non-TRD Tacoma use some upgrades? Absolutely, but "no match for Mission Santa Maria"?, I don't know.

Next time down, my soon-to-be upgraded rig will finally get 'er done.

Good Tires and 9" + min. ground clearance and low range 4WD will do it. The traction aid of a limited slip differential, a rear locker, or A-TRAC will make it a lot easier... But the non-locker stock 4Runner of BajaTripper climbed the Widowmaker and his only problem was the bog and it's 3 foot deep water. Where he got a pull through both ways.

Consider adding an ARB locker to the back end...

[Edited on 12-15-2010 by David K]

Back to the drawing board...

Ken Cooke - 12-14-2010 at 09:27 PM

Mike reports that he still has a shimmy...although, his Jeep was professionally aligned. His next order of affairs involves installing a drop pitman arm and a new Rancho steering stabilizer.

His Jeep now, "Towers of a stock Toyota Sequoia" and it attracted attention outside of Carl's Jr. today during his lunch break. Not bad!:bounce:

His steering dilemma has to be worked out...so, back to the drawing board...

Ken Cooke - 12-15-2010 at 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
Ken,increasing caster may help.I would go to maximum positive caster within the Jeep specs.

I will review with him the alignment specs his alignment tech walked with him about. The Steering Stabilizer won't hurt, either. I will ask Mike about his Caster. Thanks!

Ramon - 12-15-2010 at 11:25 PM

Steering Stabilizer is just a band-aid for steering shimmy/wabble issues. Real porblem is in the toe/caster...... does he have the coil bucket lift? Those are trouble on every truck I have seen.

DK..... Get off your horse and quit jacking this thread. Enough of the Tacoma rules crap....... and I own one too.

David K - 12-15-2010 at 11:58 PM

Sorry Ramon, but Ken and I are friends... and we are jabbing each other and don't want to dis' any Jeep or Toyota product owners, okay?

Last July on Shell Island Ken Cooke's Jeep and my Toyota:

Ken added one of my small stickers to his Jeep:

I see that you are new, and may not have know this... but welcome to Nomad and post your own photos and stories? Maybe I can pick at your stuff too? ;)

Plastic belongs on Barbie dolls!

Ken Cooke - 12-16-2010 at 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramon
Steering Stabilizer is just a band-aid for steering shimmy/wabble issues. Real porblem is in the toe/caster...... does he have the coil bucket lift? Those are trouble on every truck I have seen.

What is a coil bucket lift? Mike is running 4" coils on his Jeep. I am sure his alignment was within toe/caster specs. A new Adjustable Traction Bar was installed, and his swaybar links were lengthened by Rubicon Express disconnectable ones.

Mike owned a (new) FJ 40, and he doesn't like the FJ Cruiser after getting to test drive one and looking underneath it. I also test drove a co-workers FJ Cruiser, but I enjoy driving my Jeep much better.

David K - 12-16-2010 at 09:56 AM

The Squarecircle also a Toyota fan, did not like the FJ Cruiser (got the Land Rover LR3 instead)... issuse with visibilty and the suicide back doors, I think.

FJs are quite well received and I hear they are finally becoming available in Japan. The FJ was created here in California for the U.S. customers. It had A-TRAC before the Tacoma got the advanced automatic locker-like traction system... as did the Land Cruiser, 4Runner, and Lexus SUVs.

Ken Cooke - 12-16-2010 at 05:26 PM

You feel entombed in the FJ Cruiser. You can hardly see out of it, but you can see everything inside of the vehicle. Kind of like a station wagon w/higher clearance of an SUV. I wasn't impressed with it, but to each his own, I guess.

TMW - 12-16-2010 at 06:57 PM

I agree with you Ken, I don't like the short glass. But Beckman Tower out of Fresno has one and the crew that drive it love it.

Ken Cooke - 12-17-2010 at 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
I agree with you Ken, I don't like the short glass. But Beckman Tower out of Fresno has one and the crew that drive it love it.

TW - This crew didn't pay for it out of their own pockets, though. Had I paid $30,000 for a vehicle that I couldn't modify without losing my vehicle's warranty, I would be less inclined to purchase it.

TMW - 12-17-2010 at 06:57 PM

Don't you lose the warranty on any vehicle that is modified by anyone other than one authorized by the dealer /manufacture? I know that on a GM diesel truck if you put larger tires on it the vehicle warranty is cancelled. 3 Way Chevrolet here in Bakersfield told me that. But chevy and GMC sell lifted trucks here that are under warranty, but not diesels.

Ken Cooke - 12-17-2010 at 11:17 PM

The Moss Warranty Act governs this issue:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_...

I know Mopar produces its' own suspension lift kits and accessories for this very reason, to install on its' own factory vehicles to sell to the public...at a price.

Ramon - 12-19-2010 at 01:13 AM

Not new DK...you and Ken being friends, your constant reposting of the same pictures and your stickers is not the point.... just bored of seeing your continuous self promotion and hijacking of threads. Your an @$$
Quote:
Sorry Ramon, but Ken and I are friends... and we are jabbing each other and don't want to dis' any Jeep or Toyota product owners, okay?

I see that you are new, and may not have know this... but welcome to Nomad and post your own photos and stories? Maybe I can pick at your stuff too? ;)

[Edited on 12-19-2010 by Ramon]

::Buildup update::

Ken Cooke - 12-19-2010 at 04:38 AM

Mike walked out of his home last week after having the Jeep aligned, and noticed some metal objects on his driveway. He drove himself off to work, not thinking anything was wrong.

Returning home from work, the steering wobbled, and pulling into the driveway, Mike realized hisfront wheel weights fell off!!:o

Another trip to Goodyear, another rebalance of the two wheels missing their weights, and Mike's Jeep is now ready for the open road or dirt trail.

David K - 12-19-2010 at 08:58 AM

Quote:
Not new DK...you and Ken being friends, your constant reposting of the same pictures and your stickers is not the point.... just bored of seeing your continuous self promotion and hijacking of threads. Your an @$$
Quote:

[Edited on 12-19-2010 by Ramon]

Nobody is making you read what Ken and I post... it is a public forum, if you don't like what you see... find something that you do like.

Posting how unhappy you are isn't entertaining anyone but yourself. What you fail to realize is there are new viewers every day, and because you have seen something before doesn't mean they should be denied a look.

With only 9 posts on Nomad, who made you king?:lol:

Ramon - 12-19-2010 at 09:03 PM

That will definately make a wobble! Know the feeling. I lose weights on my fullsize a few times a year. Amazing what a little missing lead will do.
Quote:
Mike walked out of his home last week after having the Jeep aligned, and noticed some metal objects on his driveway. He drove himself off to work, not thinking anything was wrong.

Returning home from work, the steering wobbled, and pulling into the driveway, Mike realized hisfront wheel weights fell off!!:o

Another trip to Goodyear, another rebalance of the two wheels missing their weights, and Mike's Jeep is now ready for the open road or dirt trail.

Ramon - 12-19-2010 at 09:20 PM

Oh no your high-ness, YOU designated yourself King Kook of Nomads a looong time ago. Over 20k posts..... I call em like WE all see em.
Back on topic here folks.... carry on , nothing to see here.

This thread got me thinking I should once over the trucks wheels and front end suspension.

Ken Cooke - 12-19-2010 at 11:58 PM

Thanks for your input, Ramon. Wheel weights are integral to a smooth flowing vehicle. I had a problem with bent cast aluminum wheels, and there weren't enough lead weights to solve the wobbles these rims had caused.

The solution? I purchased a new set of rims, and the tires that I perceived as "un-round" suddenly smoothed out.

Ken Cooke - 12-20-2010 at 12:45 PM

Quote:
Oh no your high-ness, YOU designated yourself King Kook of Nomads a looong time ago. Over 20k posts..... I call em like WE all see em.
Back on topic here folks.... carry on , nothing to see here.

This thread got me thinking I should once over the trucks wheels and front end suspension.

Let's keep things on-topic. No need to put other Nomads down. :!:

BAJACAT - 12-20-2010 at 09:07 PM

Ken looking at your thread gave me the idea to check my truck.. I took it to get alignment and they found that some rubber bushings that come with the lift kit are worn out. so now I got to go to 4wheel autoparts to see if the warranty covers thats or how much the replacement will be.. jusy trying to get my truck ready for March..also my rack & pinnion is leaking oil, i was told this problem is common with RAMS trucks:fire: dealer price over $700, Napa is $200 with lifetime warranty...

wessongroup - 12-20-2010 at 09:36 PM

Couldn't agree more Ken about keeping on topic... just read the tread from the start... excellent photo's.. really liked the chicken... kinda makes ya stop for second.. also the close ups were really super, ya could see the "beads" on the wield.. which was pretty darn good..

Seem to have gotten of track after Mike got his front done... then was making a left turn out some place around Hemet.. maybe

But, anyway wanted to say it was/is a great thread... and thanks to all for their participation in giving some very useful information on "How To" for some of us that never have...

Merry Christmas and a Happy Year... out there ...

Ken Cooke - 12-20-2010 at 09:48 PM

@ Baja Cat - The rubber bushings are very easy to change, although, you *may* need to realign your frontend when the work is completed (I think).

@ Wessongroup - Nuevo, CA. Very close to Hemet, though!

Mike informed me that his frontend does not wobble, but he has additional parts ready to install. A new steering stabilizer and drop pitman arm. The Drop pitman arm might be unnecessary, but Mike plans to install it to bring his steering geometry closer to the stock location.

Stay posted for further updates. :!:

New Years Update

Ken Cooke - 1-4-2011 at 08:11 AM

Mike came over to my New Years Eve celebration with his new Baja Grande buildup Jeep, and it looked great!

His transfer case was in the stock location without the need for a drop kit. This will aid in better clearance when the going gets rough.

His wheels looked great! LT305 Goodyear MTR-K tires ride a little rough, but he has since aired them down to about 28 p.s.i. for a softer ride.

But, the bigger issue of the wobbles coming from his front end were solved by simply torquing all of the bolts to manufacturers specifications! Fairly simple solution.

¡Happy New Year 2011!:bounce:

[Edited on 1-19-2011 by Ken Cooke]

BAJACAT - 1-4-2011 at 11:47 PM

Ken the guy at the left of the picture, doesn't look that trill about the new year.It must be one of those Toyota owners....:lol::lol:

David K - 1-5-2011 at 09:45 AM

That unhappy looking wallflower is Mike, the Jeep owner (after spending so much $$$ to make the Jeep driveable, he has no $$$ for the ladies):lol:
JEEP= Just Empty Every Pocket

David K - 1-5-2011 at 11:35 AM

Yah... that's it :wow::lol:

On-board air, Hi-Lift mounts, Rocker protection, Wheels, Tires...THE BUILDUP CONTINUES!

Ken Cooke - 1-24-2011 at 08:50 PM

...this thread is still in its' infancy. :bounce:

Before...(yawn)

After (a serious jolt of Caffeine!):bounce::o

Don't knock my rocker!:light:

Airtank, pump, the works!!

Interior mount for Hi-Lift jack

Lights-galore!

Mike really earned his new badge!:bounce::yes:

BAJACAT - 1-24-2011 at 10:01 PM

i WANT some of those tires,,:yes:

David K - 1-24-2011 at 11:26 PM

Are those Duratracs? How loud are they on the highway?

Ken Cooke - 1-25-2011 at 06:46 AM

Quote:
Are those Duratracs? How loud are they on the highway?

These are Goodyears' Maximum Traction/Reinforced w/Kevlar. They hardly produce a hum at 60 m.p.h. according to Mike.

Ken Cooke - 1-30-2011 at 10:18 AM

Almost weekly, I still see Mike's previous Baja Grande JK project vehicle on the streets of Riverside.:yes:

I hope to be getting a side by side photo of our Baja Grande Jeeps soon.:light:

Throw out the TrXus MTs!

Ken Cooke - 2-21-2011 at 06:52 AM

Mike and I drove up Cleghorn Ridge along I-15 yesterday, and the new Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar gave his Rubicon mystic powers! :cool:

Leidys ignoring the doggie bruhaha to stand next to Mikes recently built 'wheeling marvel!

On the way to Cleghorn Road

Beautiful - the Angeles Natl Forest

On the trail. Mud stuck to and packed in my TrXus MT tires while Mikes Rubicon with Goodyear MTR with Kevlar did not pack in the slop - at all. This allowed him much better traction characteristics and continued forward movement.

Engineering excellence!

We did not travel much past this location due to the mud hindering our travels.:!:

Back to the trailhead - after fish-tailing along the trail.

David K - 2-21-2011 at 09:44 AM

Nice photos Ken! (you like those tires, don't you?) :cool:

Ken Cooke - 2-21-2011 at 08:51 PM

Quote:
Nice photos Ken! (you like those tires, don't you?) :cool:

At one point, I considered running All-Terrain tires for the quiet, smooth ride. But, Leidys and I enjoy these simple, backcountry drives so much that traction cannot come at the expense of capability. The Goodyear appears to be the clear winner in so many categories. Dirt, Rocks, Sand - My TrXus MTs packed the mud in like racing slicks. This was horrible, and I can't see paying a premium for these tires in the future over the Goodyear tires. No thanks.

racheldarlin - 2-22-2011 at 07:21 AM

I have been looking at those Goodyears and have read great reviews. Thanks for the field report. My Toyo ATs still have some life and I really do like them but I am thinking of something more aggressive but still relatively quiet on the highway.

Here in the Northwest mud is what we do - on trails and some back roads. Check out the latest 4 WHEEL DRIVE magazine A lot of different tires and they all had problems to one degree or another.

Anyway nice build out and great photos.

David K - 2-22-2011 at 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by racheldarlin
I have been looking at those Goodyears and have read great reviews. Thanks for the field report. My Toyo ATs still have some life and I really do like them but I am thinking of something more aggressive but still relatively quiet on the highway.

Here in the Northwest mud is what we do - on trails and some back roads. Check out the latest 4 WHEEL DRIVE magazine A lot of different tires and they all had problems to one degree or another.

Anyway nice build out and great photos.

I also liked my Toyo Open Country ATs (had them on my '05 Tacoma)... I just got new tires on my 2010 tacoma, and really liking them so far... They are quiet but worked great in the mud and snow last Saturday:

Hankook Dynapro ATm

[Edited on 2-22-2011 by David K]

racheldarlin - 2-22-2011 at 08:57 AM

Hey David, I just read your post on your new tires and the run you did last weekend. I will have to consider them. I've probably got another year on the Toyos and by then you should have a years worth of experience on yours.

The run looks like a lot fun. Did you have to air down the same for snow as for sand?

David K - 2-22-2011 at 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by racheldarlin
Hey David, I just read your post on your new tires and the run you did last weekend. I will have to consider them. I've probably got another year on the Toyos and by then you should have a years worth of experience on yours.

The run looks like a lot fun. Did you have to air down the same for snow as for sand?

No, not at all... the truck and new tires were amazing in the mud and snow! Even pulling Josh's Ranger up a slimey muddy hill was effortless... I did use the rear locker and A-TRAC.

However, if traction ever is an issue... letting air out of the tires will usually solve the problem!

Maintenance time

Ken Cooke - 4-15-2011 at 10:53 PM

Mike helped me with my Jeep tonight.

The Jeep is in great shape, but the wiring and melted fuses connecting my KC Daylighters and my Viair Extreme On-Board Air system needed to be replaced.

The winch works!:bounce:

David K - 4-16-2011 at 08:54 AM

Good thing Ken... electrical failure in the middle of Baja is no bueno!

Is you air system working now? I was hoping to see it in action when Art was leaving.. :rolleyes: :yes:

Have you included a side trip to El Volcan on the 30th? TW is going after he escorts you to Mision Santa Maria.

13.3 miles from Hwy. 1... your group can see the onyx quarry and schoolhouse of El Marmol on the way in and out. Maybe find a lost mission with the group in El Volcan... Maybe see Baja's cold water geyser erupt?

Ken Cooke - 4-16-2011 at 09:45 AM

Quote:

Is you air system working now? I was hoping to see it in action when Art was leaving.. :rolleyes: :yes:

Do you remember my air system inflating Art's rear tires? The problem with my system is that after inflating all four of my tires, it needs to take a rest in high temperatures or it overheats.

The problem with my fuses under my hood was from moisture. The OEM fuses experienced no problems. I plan on wrapping everything up because the swamp could pose problems.

El Volcan? A few of the guys going on this trip must sleep in Motel Rooms the entire time. Plus, we need to keep a constant flow of ice in our coolers.

El Marmol? We'll have to gauge that depending on travel times.

David K - 4-16-2011 at 10:16 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Do you remember my air system inflating Art's rear tires? The problem with my system is that after inflating all four of my tires, it needs to take a rest in high temperatures or it overheats.

The problem with my fuses under my hood was from moisture. The OEM fuses experienced no problems. I plan on wrapping everything up because the swamp could pose problems.

El Volcan? A few of the guys going on this trip must sleep in Motel Rooms the entire time. Plus, we need to keep a constant flow of ice in our coolers.

El Marmol? We'll have to gauge that depending on travel times.

El Volcan is 4 miles from El Marmol... if you go to one, then see the other. You are 2 hours from El Rosario if you put your foot into it to get there from El Volcan. So, no Shell Island or Laguna Percebu overnighting? Motel only, huh?

Anyway... you will have fun... just relax and enjoy the drive!

As it looks now, I am not going to be there... :(

bajalou - 4-16-2011 at 11:07 AM

Ken - consider installing circuit breakers instep of fusses for the air pump. - also the winch?

David K - 4-16-2011 at 11:28 AM

Great idea Lou!

Ken Cooke - 4-16-2011 at 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David KSo, no Shell Island or Laguna Percebu overnighting? Motel only, huh?

As it looks now, I am not going to be there... :(

Negative. The group minus 2 people will be staying at Shell Island. I am looking forward to the nice weather and warm water. I wouldn't miss Shell Island for the world.

Ken Cooke - 4-16-2011 at 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
Ken - consider installing circuit breakers instep of fusses for the air pump. - also the winch?

The winch functions properly - except for the fact that the controller has swelled in size, and the female to male connectors do not connect without a lot of strength.

David K - 4-16-2011 at 06:12 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by David KSo, no Shell Island or Laguna Percebu overnighting? Motel only, huh?

Negative. The group minus 2 people will be staying at Shell Island. I am looking forward to the nice weather and warm water. I wouldn't miss Shell Island for the world.

Cool! Have fun!

Ken Cooke - 4-19-2011 at 09:05 PM

Today, the Garvin Wilderness Rack received some attention due to its' spare gerry can carrier breaking off at the bolt that holds it in place. Now, I'll be able to carry my NATO can outside of the Jeep to preserve interior space.

Photos will be posted tomorrow.

BajaBlanca - 4-23-2011 at 04:50 PM

just writing to say that we shall NOT be going ..... hope you have a most adventuresome and fun trip !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Baja Grande/Pole Line Road repair work

Ken Cooke - 11-12-2011 at 12:12 PM

Today must be the day...My MX6 Monotube shocks are getting swapped out for Superlift shocks. Plus, the forged crowbar is getting swapped out for actual shock bar pin eliminators from Rough Country.

My Interco TrXus MTs will probably travel to Baja 1 or 2 more times, before getting changed out for a new set of tires early next year. I'll report back as to how well they handle the rocks of Cañon Enmedio en route to the disabled Suzuki Samurai - stuck on a pile of mini-boulders.:bounce:

TMW - 11-12-2011 at 12:45 PM

Ken have you considered using the Bilstein 5160 series external reservoir shocks?

Ken Cooke - 11-12-2011 at 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Ken have you considered using the Bilstein 5160 series external reservoir shocks?

TW - Have you considered telling my Wife how much one of these shocks costs? Rebuildable Monotubes are the way to go. But, so is living within my budget.

Packoderm - 11-12-2011 at 10:36 PM

Are they any good?

Packoderm - 11-12-2011 at 10:38 PM

The prices are comparable.

TMW - 11-13-2011 at 08:11 AM

I'm not familiar with the Superlift series other than on their web site says they offer a shock built by Bilstein. I don't know if the one above is one or not. However an external Res. shock is much better than one without it. The Bilstein 5160 is in the $200 per shock range as is the Fox shock. I had a set of 5160s on order for several months for my GMC Z71 but finally cancelled the order and put just the 5100 series on it. At the Expo Bilstein said they were now available. So next time I'll get em.

Ken Cooke - 11-13-2011 at 01:57 PM

Transmission flushed/filled. There is no leak according to the mechanic that inspected my Transmission. Next, my differentials will be emptied/filled with Royal Purple Sythetic fluid.:bounce: